Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Is "Wandering Spirit" Mick's best Solo album: Inspired by Rockman discussing "Sweet Thing"
Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: January 28, 2019 09:16

From ......Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Flashpoint
Date: January 28, 2019 09:14

Rockman
Sweet Thing is truly sweet!

Sure is ... Got a 12" somewhere with different mixes on it...Great Stuff

In the beginning, when life was simple
We were at each other night and day
You were so sensual and so inventive
We said we'd stick together come what may

In the beginning, you were so brutal
You turned the heat on in the afternoon
Get so excited, get so addicted
You had me eating from your golden spoon ................mmmmmmmmm

SKILLS

My Sister staged a rogue catwalk show during NZ Fashion week back around 20 years back in a carparking structure instead of the show HQ (Massive Success for her) and she asked me if i could think of anything funky and dynamic for the opening number as i had helped as music producer on some of her earlier shows, i was way deep into my business career by this stage but said why not. I said if we get a heavy bass capable amplifier we should use "Sweet Thing", well not only did the crowd love it, the Models fair charged down the runway, legs stomping from high knee lifts, totally funked out, it was one heck of a show.

Sweet Thing is an amazing track off a fantastic (best of his career) album. I still listen to Wandering Spirit

1. Wired All Night
2. Sweet Thing
3. Out Of Focus
4. Don't Tear Me Up
5. Put Me In The Trash
6. Use Me
7. Evening Gown
8. Mother Of A Man
9. Think
10. Wandering Spirit
11. Hang On To Me Tonight
12. I've Been Lonely For So Long
13. Angel In My Heart
14. Handsome Molly

I do think that some would have significantly contributed to Voodoo Lounge and made it an incredible album but that's the way it goes.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 11:55 by SKILLS.

Re: Is "Wandering Spirit" Mick's best Solo album: Inspired by Rockman discussing "Sweet Thing"
Date: January 28, 2019 10:14

A very good album indeed, but surpassed by a few other Stones's solo albums, imo:

1. I've Got My Own Album To Do
2. Now Look
3. Crosseyed Heart
4. Talk Is Cheap
5. Wandering Spirit

My favourites on WS are Sweet Thing, Don't Tear Me Up, Evening Gown, Wandering Spirit and Handsome Molly. Definitely Mick's best album, imo (although I like some stuff on all his albums).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 16:02 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: Is "Wandering Spirit" Mick's best Solo album: Inspired by Rockman discussing "Sweet Thing"
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 28, 2019 10:39

A1 Sweet Thing (Mick's Extended Version) 6:52
A2 Sweet Thing (Mick's Dub) 4:55
A3 Sweet Thing (Instrumental Of Extended Sax) 4:49

B1 Sweet Thing (Extended Remix) 5:59
B2 Sweet Thing (Stripped Down Version) 4:37
B3 Sweet Thing (Instrumental Of Stripped Down Version) 4:37

Hey yeah SKILLS …Sweet Thing
Funky struttin' thing it is with Mick's cool slur drag on the lyrics

Try trackin' down the six track 12"
Me fave is da …. Stripped Down Version …

the Models fair charged down the runway, legs stomping from high knee lifts, totally funked out
Butt ...Butt SKILLS ….is there any shots/footage of dem models ???? …………. MMMmmmmmmmmmmm

ROCKMAN

Date: January 28, 2019 10:43

Long before Digi, Rock. locked and loaded in my memory though, i'll find a link to the story in the NZ Herald and edit

I'll find it tomorrow but here's her brand

[ricochet.co.nz]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 11:03 by SKILLS.

Date: January 28, 2019 10:53

Hey Yeah .….

kahoosier would look good in the striped shirt …. just what the Doc needs..!!! ...HHHaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: January 28, 2019 10:54

ROCKMAN

Date: January 28, 2019 11:02

You the Man Rock, your in Melbourne?

Mick's Video

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 11:04 by SKILLS.

Date: January 28, 2019 11:04

….. only about 40mins from Melb …
But spend half my life in the place ….

ROCKMAN

Date: January 28, 2019 11:06

Next time i jump the Tasman, Beers on me on the Southbank, hope i got that right i've only been a couple of times. somewhere around the Crown, your call, i last came to watch the Grand Prix, i won a freakin Radio Competition on a Sports Channel, stayed at the Mercure Gardens by the Botanic's , so i don't know the town so well, heard of a lot of locations though, I had Breakfast on Lygon, told the Missus we have to go there....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-28 11:10 by SKILLS.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 28, 2019 11:08

It probably is Jagger's best solo effort, but the only song I can listen to is "Sweet Thing". The rest sounds fake to me.

Date: January 28, 2019 11:08

… Hey yeah I know the area just there the other night….

okay man let me know

ROCKMAN

Date: January 28, 2019 11:14

Your On, Love to meet fellow travelers.

Date: January 28, 2019 11:17

matxil
It probably is Jagger's best solo effort, but the only song I can listen to is "Sweet Thing". The rest sounds fake to me.

Oh come on Dude, it's got "Out of Focus", "Wired All Night", "Wandering Spirit". etc

Date: January 28, 2019 11:22

Love to meet fellow travelers.

Eeeerrr well I'm just a guy that weird things happen to almost every day … kid you not

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: January 28, 2019 11:26

Cool album, like all of them tracks.

BTW, Don't Tear Me Up could have made a first class Stones song.

d.f

Date: January 28, 2019 11:34

Rockman
Love to meet fellow travelers.

Eeeerrr well I'm just a guy that weird things happen to almost every day … kid you not

I'll bring my kids Eeeerrrr, they're Australian, you'll feel secure. Not Like [www.nzherald.co.nz]

Date: January 28, 2019 11:44

…. One of me fave NZ stories is Viv Priest
of the Pretty Things getting around for a week
or so on the 1965 tour with a dead crayfish …. weird guy

ROCKMAN

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 28, 2019 11:53

This is my favorite solo Mick album, followed by She's The Boss.

Date: January 28, 2019 11:58

Rockman
…. One of me fave NZ stories is Viv Priest
of the Pretty Things getting around for a week
or so on the 1965 tour with a dead crayfish …. weird guy

Mate, we all carry a Dead Crayfish in case of emergencies

Date: January 28, 2019 12:00

Don't Tear Me Up.... hmmm

Date: January 28, 2019 12:13

Mate, we all carry a Dead Crayfish

Yeah I know … Ive been around Foxy a few times ….. HHHhaaaaeeeeeeeee

ROCKMAN

Date: January 28, 2019 12:18

Rockman
Mate, we all carry a Dead Crayfish

Yeah I know … Ive been around Foxy a few times ….. HHHhaaaaeeeeeeeee

......I the candidate for Richmond do not endorse or consent to this message.

Hilarious, dam this is local

Date: January 28, 2019 12:44

Pretty Things in New Zealand --->>>>> [iorr.org]

ROCKMAN

Date: January 28, 2019 12:50

So you want to know the true story of the Wyman Bass ehh. I usually charge...

Date: January 28, 2019 13:08

Back to the album, it's a fantastic piece of music set against "Grunge", "Dance Music", "Hip Hop"... which was interesting in 93 with Biggie Smalls, Tupac etc an emerging art form, sadly cut short.

Now A generic replica reminiscent of 60's RnB/Motown v 70's Disco, excluding Funk, Parliament/Funkadelic, Curtis Mayfield etc. Too much sampling, not enough Basslines

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 28, 2019 14:21

SKILLS
matxil

Oh come on Dude, it's got "Out of Focus", "Wired All Night", "Wandering Spirit". etc

I am sorry, I really tried, but the instruments sound like those typical pseudo-hard-rock bands of that time, and I find Mick Jagger's way of singing on those songs terrible. He doesn't sing "Out of Focus" but "Ouwda Fwakka" which doesn't mean anything to my ears.
I know I might be missing something, as maybe in many other cases (I think Queen, Status Quo, Prince, KISS, are all rubbish, and clearly loads of people don't think so) but at my third attempt of listening to the album I wondered why I was doing this. Music should be enjoyed, and I clearly didn't enjoy it all.
I like "Just Another Night" (another album, I know) kind of enjoyable too, and that's pretty much it.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 28, 2019 14:33

It's not bad. Maybe his best solo album. But it's not what it was set up to be. Jagger to compete wit Michael Jackson and other big solo acts.
What Jagger really accomplished though was to break up The Rolling Stones for seven years. Which wasn't the break he was looking for...

Date: January 28, 2019 14:42

Stoneage
It's not bad. Maybe his best solo album. But it's not what it was set up to be. Jagger to compete wit Michael Jackson and other big solo acts.
What Jagger really accomplished though was to break up The Rolling Stones for seven years. Which wasn't the break he was looking for...

Perhaps you're talking about She's The Boss and Primitive Cool here? WS wasn't really set up to compete with Michael Jackson. It was all about back to basics and Rick Rubin etc.

After the mega-success of the SW/UJ-tours, Mick, Keith and Ronnie all made solo albums that came out in 1992/93, so I don't think the Stones were in jeopardy because of those albums smiling smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 28, 2019 15:06

Yep, I had the overall picture in mind there Dandy. Lapsing in time I'm afraid...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 28, 2019 15:19

Talk is Cheap/Wandering Spirit two of the best "shoulda been Stones albums".

Clear in that moment that they were clicking better individually and outside the band than within, when you compare other albums in relatively close proximity (Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, VL).

That said, these were unfortunately their solo high water marks not to be repeated.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1661
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home