Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
1981 Tour
Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 17, 2012 17:20

I find it rather ironic that I see a lot of people trashing the '81 - '82 Tour here, especially when discussing the brilliance captured on Some Girls Live In Texas 1978. I saw the Stones on both tours and have listened to numerous boots from both tours. Both tours sounded pretty similar to me. Those were the days when the Stones took a lot more chances onstage and both tours had some brilliant shows and some awful ones. In general I thought the Stones were cooking in '81. Keith played with a passion and I see no disintegration that people speak of. I also thought that they chose an excellent setlist with a nice mix of newer (at the time ) songs and surprising the fans with songs that hadn't been heard in ages like Let's Spend The Night Together, Time Is On My Side, Let it Bleed, etc. I have boots that are just as great performance-wise (despite boot-quality sound) as SGLIT '78. I'd be curious to hear others elaborate on their opinions. Also, I think the choice of Under My Thumb for an opening number, with Keith hammering out the riff on guitar rather than letting a keyboard simulate the marimbas was killer! I also loved hearing Keith play LSTNT on guitar rather than letting the piano start the song rocked. I loved that tour personally. It was the last time the Stones would play as a guitar-driven band without hiring a plethora of extras to sound more like the album versions. I loved those raw, stripped down days! It's too bad that Still Life didn't really capture the true sound of that tour. They could've made a much better live album from it, although some tracks are great.

Re: 1981 Tour
Date: January 17, 2012 17:25

My 4th favorite tour from them.

Charlie was so tight.

Keith was on fire.

Ronnie was new and played a diff solo every night.

And Mick, well he moved like Jagger.

Love all the SBDs from this tour as well.

69, 72, 75 then 81.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 17, 2012 17:30

again, i think we're having difficulties with understanding what irony is. this is not an example of it. i do realize we struggle from time to time with these concepts and i guess this is just the latest instance.

Date: January 17, 2012 17:31

Why Still Life left out Mona, Chantilly Lace and about 10 others is beyond me.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 17, 2012 17:44

steel driving hammer

for a expanded deluxe version some 30 years hence?

yeah, a definite disappointment after a fabulous couple tours. shoulda been called Still Born.

Date: January 17, 2012 18:00

steel driving hammer
My 4th favorite tour from them.

Charlie was so tight.

Keith was on fire.

Ronnie was new and played a diff solo every night.

And Mick, well he moved like Jagger.

Love all the SBDs from this tour as well.

69, 72, 75 then 81.

smileys with beer

Date: January 17, 2012 18:02

steel driving hammer

I belive Still Life is strictly from the American leg of the tour. I don't think they started playing Chantilly Lace until the European leg in '82.

Date: January 17, 2012 18:06

stonesdan60
I find it rather ironic that I see a lot of people trashing the '81 - '82 Tour here, especially when discussing the brilliance captured on Some Girls Live In Texas 1978.

Ironic? There is no irony. The tours were nothing alike.

Date: January 17, 2012 18:06

The Mona-versions I´ve heard weren´t exactly ready for release.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 17, 2012 18:07

I think the 81 tour was better overall then the 78 tour...But the concert in Tx from the 78 tour was better then
what they may have recorded from either the 78 or 81 tours.

I was at both the 78 & 81 concert too and i agree that 81 was one of the best tours the Stones had done.
Just behind the 69 tour imo...

Date: January 17, 2012 18:11

stonesdan60
steel driving hammer

I belive Still Life is strictly from the American leg of the tour. I don't think they started playing Chantilly Lace until the European leg in '82.

It is from the US tour. It came out just in time for the 1982 tour.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 17, 2012 18:21

Well, we might have written off the '78 tour as a ramshackle mess if they hadn't dug up 'Some Girls in Texas'. We might have written off the '81 tour as kind of lifeless and Jovan corporate if all we had was Hal Ashby's 'Let's Spend the Night Together'. Fortunately many of us have 'Hampton '81' and know there were better shows. I've yet to see 'Atlantic City '89' to see if that improves the impression I still have of that tour from the regal, but cold 'Live at the Max' DVD. How many thought the 'Rock and Roll Circus' was a shitty Stones performance before you actually saw it?

Date: January 17, 2012 18:32

Still Life album is sadly not indicative of what a great tour 81 really was.

I think more time should have been spent on making this release as good
as the tour..The album comes across as flat....Not nearly as exciting as the
tour really was.

I kind of feel that way with the movie from the same tour..Flat..

Both Some Girls Concert & Get Your Ya Ya's Out releases do a better job of capturing the excitement of a Rolling Stones concert.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: January 17, 2012 18:32

Hampton 81 is one of the best boots. Next release from the archive?

Date: January 17, 2012 18:34

24FPS
Well, we might have written off the '78 tour as a ramshackle mess if they hadn't dug up 'Some Girls in Texas'. We might have written off the '81 tour as kind of lifeless and Jovan corporate if all we had was Hal Ashby's 'Let's Spend the Night Together'. Fortunately many of us have 'Hampton '81' and know there were better shows. I've yet to see 'Atlantic City '89' to see if that improves the impression I still have of that tour from the regal, but cold 'Live at the Max' DVD. How many thought the 'Rock and Roll Circus' was a shitty Stones performance before you actually saw it?

AC '89 was fantastic! I recorded it on VHS tape when it was broadcast. I watched it a bazillion times! Sadly, the tape got damaged. I'd love to see an "official" release of that show.

Date: January 17, 2012 19:02

DiscoVolante
Hampton 81 is one of the best boots.

My Fantastic Sound Board Deep Hollow Bass Sound boot of that show plays frequently here in IL.

Mixed in w/ Charlie's crisp famous one skip cymbal beat ALWAYS makes me wonder if that was the greatest show on Earth that day.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 17, 2012 19:26

The problem is the mono soundboards. If we had just ONE stereo soundboard with Keith and Ronnie panned 75% left and right, we'd hear the dueling and LOOOOVE this tour. Guitars are just too low in the mix on almost all of the soundboards.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: January 17, 2012 20:20

stonesdan60
AC '89 was fantastic! I recorded it on VHS tape when it was broadcast. I watched it a bazillion times! Sadly, the tape got damaged. I'd love to see an "official" release of that show.

Best Sympathy solo ever IMO (or maybe Montreal '89). Too bad about Axl Rose though.

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: January 17, 2012 20:30

The 81 tour was awful. Just about every sing their playd was way too fast and the sound way to thin. I can't believe anyone is comparing to to 1978. I don't care how many songs they played or what rarilties they played, because no matter what they played it basically sucked for reasons already stated.

Date: January 17, 2012 20:46

Brianwalker did you go to any of the 81 concerts?

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: January 17, 2012 21:01

hot stuff

He's probably referring to the LSTNT DVD where the songs were intentionally sped-up afterwards tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 17, 2012 21:13

stonesdan60
I find it rather ironic that I see a lot of people trashing the '81 - '82 Tour here, especially when discussing the brilliance captured on Some Girls Live In Texas 1978. I saw the Stones on both tours and have listened to numerous boots from both tours. Both tours sounded pretty similar to me. Those were the days when the Stones took a lot more chances onstage and both tours had some brilliant shows and some awful ones. In general I thought the Stones were cooking in '81. Keith played with a passion and I see no disintegration that people speak of. I also thought that they chose an excellent setlist with a nice mix of newer (at the time ) songs and surprising the fans with songs that hadn't been heard in ages like Let's Spend The Night Together, Time Is On My Side, Let it Bleed, etc. I have boots that are just as great performance-wise (despite boot-quality sound) as SGLIT '78. I'd be curious to hear others elaborate on their opinions. Also, I think the choice of Under My Thumb for an opening number, with Keith hammering out the riff on guitar rather than letting a keyboard simulate the marimbas was killer! I also loved hearing Keith play LSTNT on guitar rather than letting the piano start the song rocked. I loved that tour personally. It was the last time the Stones would play as a guitar-driven band without hiring a plethora of extras to sound more like the album versions. I loved those raw, stripped down days! It's too bad that Still Life didn't really capture the true sound of that tour. They could've made a much better live album from it, although some tracks are great.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 17, 2012 21:18

SORRY!!!!!! I just wanted to say that i agree 100% with STONESDAN60

These are my ever favourite Stones, those from 77-83!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOCAMBO-SOME GIRLS-PATHE MARCONI SESSIONS-ER-TATOO YOU AND UNDERCOVER

PATHE MARCONI sessions were more productiv than those from Nellcote

Posted by: johnnyjolene ()
Date: January 17, 2012 21:23

81 tour is probably 1 of the reasons I became a fan. LSTNT movie and SL LP we're things I got early on after finding Stones. It's only tour I find interesting enough to collect all boots. Keith was on top of his game. He wasn't 78 or 89. They we're all but Ronnie. Keith was doing lot of things with his guitar that he hasn't done ever since.

Tempe, Arizona is my favorite gig ever. Hampton's great too.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: January 17, 2012 21:28

People knock Still Life but Under My Thumb straight into Let's Spend The Night Together gets me every time. Brilliant.
Official release of Hampton would be great but I'd prefer a less booted show for the next DVD release.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 17, 2012 21:28

The 78 tour was much better overall. Sometimes less is more...

Date: January 17, 2012 21:33

KeithNacho
PATHE MARCONI sessions were more productiv than those from Nellcote

Could that possibly be that...no....naaahhhhhh....it couldn't be.

They did so many songs, I forget how many, at Nellcote, for, what, 3 months? 6 months? However long. Yet they were in Pathe Marconi for...well, a little bit longer than that. Over the years, yes, on a calendar, but certainly time wise quite a few more months than what they did at Nellcote.

Wow. You're right Nacho, the Pathe Marconi sessions were more productive. Why, they got FIVE LPs worth of recording done there. I've lost track or can't remember but I think they only got about 3 sides worth of music from Nellcote including what came out in 2010, considering that Exile wasn't all from Nellcote to begin with.

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: January 17, 2012 21:35

My favorite version of Satisfaction:

Love it grinning smiley

Posted by: hwkn ()
Date: January 17, 2012 21:36

All the soundboards from the 81 tour that I have are in stereo afaik.[i've got somewhere around 20]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-17 21:37 by hwkn.

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: January 17, 2012 22:02

hot stuff

Yes and it sucked big time. This fact was backed up by the movie LSTNT.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1255
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home