Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: A Question Regarding "Tattoo You"
Date: January 17, 2012 18:17

Has there ever been anything written about the mix done for Neighbours? Why the cymbals are not in the mix until the end of the song?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 17, 2012 18:21

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
The Stones started working on recordings of Hang Fire during the first sessions for Black And Blue with Nicky Hopkins.

This might be the sessions you had in mind (again, from nzentgraf.de). However, no mention of Hang Fire.

1974 7th - 15th December: Munich, West-Germany, Musicland Studios (without MT!).
Producers: The Glimmer Twins. Sound engineers: Keith Harwood (with Mack).
Additional musician: Nicky Hopkins (p, org, string synth)
- Act Together I (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano; instrumental
- Act Together II (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano; instrumental, with additional guitar-overdub
- Cherry Oh Baby I (Eric Donaldson) -Nicky Hopkins on organ; early take without RW (probably recorded on the 15th December)
- Cherry Oh Baby II (Eric Donaldson) -Nicky Hopkins on organ, RW on guitar; Black And Blue-LP-version
- Cherry Oh Baby III (Eric Donaldson) -Nicky Hopkins on organ, RW on guitar; edited Black And Blue-8-track-version
- Fool To Cry I (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano and string synthesizer; early version with different lyrics and no backing vocals, probably recorded on December the 12th
- Fool To Cry II (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano and string synthesizer; early version with finished lyrics, lacking some overdubs
- Fool To Cry III (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano and string synthesizer, Wayne Perkins on guitar, Billy Preston on backing vocals; Black And Blue-version
- Fool To Cry IV (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano and string synthesizer, Wayne Perkins on guitar, Billy Preston on backing vocals; edited Sucking In The 70’s-version
- I Got A Letter I (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano; instrumental
- I Got A Letter II (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano; vocal(s by KR)
Note: RW did his overdubs either between 30.3. and 4.4.75 or in December 1975. Harvey Mandel did his overdubs in late March/early April 1975. Billy Preston did his overdubs either in late March/early April or in October 1975.

Date: January 17, 2012 18:25

Just because it's not listed in that does not mean it didn't happen. Nick Kent stated it was the Stones as a quintet with Nicky Hopkins and that they did take after take of the song. He was at the recording session.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 17, 2012 18:40

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Mathijs
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
The Stones started working on recordings of Hang Fire during the first sessions for Black And Blue with Nicky Hopkins.

Nope. Hang Fire was never done in 75 or 76, and Hopkins only did some overdub sessions for B&B, he was never part of the sessions.

Mathijs

Uhhh, yep. Nick Kent talked about it in a article he wrote for MOJO. He was at the session.

About 90% of what Nick Kent has stated about the Stones has been proven false.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 17, 2012 19:00

Mathijs

Mathijs

Never trust a junkie. grinning smiley

Date: January 17, 2012 20:56

His Majesty
Mathijs

Mathijs

Never trust a junkie. grinning smiley

I find it believable, based on what he wrote, just as what became Too Tough came from the sessions for BAB. Why MOJO would allow something erroneous to be published is beyond me. It's very specific.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 15, 2013 08:34

genco
They played "Worried About You" in Mocambo concert, I think on March 5h gig in 1977

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 15, 2013 16:43

My old boot has an early version of "Hang Fire" known as "Lazy Bitch".

Date: February 15, 2013 16:56

Did they really work on Act Together in the studio, after Ronnie had released it on his solo album??

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: February 15, 2013 17:10

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Has there ever been anything written about the mix done for Neighbours? Why the cymbals are not in the mix until the end of the song?

not to mention the horrible snare sound. .. .

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: February 15, 2013 17:23

I read somewhere that its Bill Wyman playing guitar on Heaven.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 15, 2013 23:32

Stoneage
At the time I didn't care. In 1981 Tattoo You was a new, fresh Rolling Stones album to me. But the fact that Bob Clearmountain and Jagger were the architects behind the album really reinforces my belief that the Stones were a 60´s and 70´s band and that the last tour was the Still Life tour. Later on another band emerged on the scene: Rolling Stones 2.0 - a Las Vegas revival act to last for more than two decades.

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 15, 2013 23:40

Redhotcarpet
Stoneage
At the time I didn't care. In 1981 Tattoo You was a new, fresh Rolling Stones album to me. But the fact that Bob Clearmountain and Jagger were the architects behind the album really reinforces my belief that the Stones were a 60´s and 70´s band and that the last tour was the Still Life tour. Later on another band emerged on the scene: Rolling Stones 2.0 - a Las Vegas revival act to last for more than two decades.

thumbs upsmileys with beer

I blame Chuck.

Controversial I know.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: February 16, 2013 08:17

Shame Shame Shame by Shirley and Company

Has the Stones version of this from 1975 ever been bootlegged? Can anyone post it??

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 16, 2013 10:13

Heaven is a great track. I believe it is Jagger on Guitar and Wyman on synth.

A lot of Tattoo was Mick in France laying down new vocals and re-mixing. Some good stuff on Tattoo, especially side two. But the production has that 80's crispness and faux new wave gleam on the rockers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-16 10:13 by whitem8.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 16, 2013 15:48

I've heard most of the TY tracks on bootlegs and none of them has ever sounded finished. I beleive there are a lot of overdubs and Jagger's vocals had to have been done in 1981 and keith's on Little T&A.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 16, 2013 15:52

whitem8
Heaven is a great track. I believe it is Jagger on Guitar and Wyman on synth.

A lot of Tattoo was Mick in France laying down new vocals and re-mixing. Some good stuff on Tattoo, especially side two. But the production has that 80's crispness and faux new wave gleam on the rockers.

I've always loved the 'sound' of that album...I don't think it suffers from some of the typical 80s overproduction.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 16, 2013 16:01

Yeah, some of it sounds great, but the rockers sound a bit hallow. Crisp. The soul stuff is wonderful.

Date: February 16, 2013 16:04

whitem8
Yeah, some of it sounds great, but the rockers sound a bit hallow. Crisp. The soul stuff is wonderful.

I used to love (still do I guess) side two of the album. When I was in University CD's became the rage so I got a CD copy of the album, and would program the side two songs on repeat and listen for hours whenever I had a massive hangover (every Sunday morning)

Great and at the same time BRUTAL memories!

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: February 16, 2013 16:36

Very cool info on the sessions. It seems like the Stones songwriting process was to just go into the studio with maybe an idea, try it a few times and see what eventually emerges. Far from going into the studio with songs completely written, either lyrics or melody.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 16, 2013 20:26

slew
I've heard most of the TY tracks on bootlegs and none of them has ever sounded finished. I beleive there are a lot of overdubs and Jagger's vocals had to have been done in 1981 and keith's on Little T&A.

yes...i believe that even though many of the songs were outtakes from previous album sessions, they weren't finished.
finishing them and final mixing can do a lot. a song that may have had a mid seventies feel for black & blue (when originally created) but was revamped and updated for release on TY can legitimately be called "fresh" IMO. The definitive example might be Start Me Up.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-16 20:27 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: February 16, 2013 20:29

think that the stones, in most cases, finish just the songs they want to release in the end. i think they don´t record, well let´s say about 30 songs, and then chose the best ones for the records, i think many just will be set aside

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 20, 2013 08:15

roundnround
Shame Shame Shame by Shirley and Company

Has the Stones version of this from 1975 ever been bootlegged? Can anyone post it??

I'm not sure if you're being facetious but it's not the same song; Stones covered a song by Jimmy Reed. They played it at the Toronto pre-B2B tour club show. Venue escapes me at the moment.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 20, 2013 08:41

An instrumental version of Shame Shame Shame (Sylvia.Robinson)
Shirley And Company was recorded - Rotterdam Jan-Feb 1975

FOUND ON -- Could You Walk On The Water VGP-027

Shame Shame Shame ( Jimmy Reed ) -- Pathe Marconi Studio Paris 1997- !978

Shame Shame Shame ( Jimmy Reed ) -- performed at The Double Door - 18th September 1997 Chicago

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 20, 2013 09:02

Thanks for that info!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 20, 2013 09:06

not a drama Glam ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: February 21, 2013 18:24

whitem8
Heaven is a great track.

They should open the next tour with this song.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 23:50

tattoo you is a great album, does it really mater when the songs were started or finished.

Date: February 22, 2013 02:43

buttons67
tattoo you is a great album, does it really mater when the songs were started or finished.

Not only a great album, but a great job by MJ & Kimsey putting it together.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2019
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home