Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Slightly OT: A rocker's guide to management
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 8, 2019 14:32

Re: Slightly OT: A rocker's guide to management
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: January 8, 2019 17:56

Interesting read.
But the author failed to mention the Grateful Dead, a band that set the standard when it came to the business of rock'n'roll.
thx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-08 18:11 by spikenyc.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 8, 2019 19:22

spikenyc
Interesting read.
But the author failed to mention the Grateful Dead, a band that set the standard when it came to the business of rock'n'roll.
thx

Yes, a good read.
Other bands who seemed to have business matters well sorted are/were:
Led Zeppelin
Queen
U2.

Of course when The Stones started out the 5 members all shared equally (after the Jones £5 issue got sorted) record royalties and tour profits. Even music publishing income until Oldham changed that.
Interesting the author feels all Beatles could sing lead...even Ringo's ardent fans might have problems with that statement.
The article should (in the Stones case) have mentioned the role played by Prince Rupert. Appointing competent Managers that all band members can sign up to is essential.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 9, 2019 11:32

jlowe
spikenyc
Interesting read.
thx

Yes, a good read.
Other bands who seemed to have business matters well sorted are/were:
Led Zeppelin
Queen
U2.

Of course when The Stones started out the 5 members all shared equally (after the Jones £5 issue got sorted) record royalties and tour profits. Even music publishing income until Oldham changed that.
Interesting the author feels all Beatles could sing lead...even Ringo's ardent fans might have problems with that statement.
The article should (in the Stones case) have mentioned the role played by Prince Rupert. Appointing competent Managers that all band members can sign up to is essential.

Or ABBA.
But I think the article basically wants to stress the four possible ways of dealing with power & business & money decisions within a band:
1. Friends (Beatles, ABBA, I guess U2 falls into this category as well)
2. Autocracy (My guess is Queen too)
3. Democracy (REM, U2, Led Zeppelin?)
4. Frenemies (Rolling Stones, The Who(?), ... (my guess is most bands end up like this))

It's an interesting read, although the difference between 1 and 3 is not so clear for me. And actually, according to Bill Wyman in some interview, the Rolling Stones were a democracy, they all had a vote in all decisions.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 9, 2019 12:31

spikenyc
Interesting read.
thx

what about KISS? they've made millions without having hardly any good songs, haha. sorry KISS fans, personal preference. KISS's business acumen has been stunning. the stones set the gold standard especially since 1981. + the stones basically invented the arena/stadium rock show as we know it in 1969. all of this is just my opinion so don't be too hard on me. sleepless in seattle....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2098
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home