Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Mick Taylor and Stray Cat Blues
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 6, 2012 18:25

..sorry,....but i think it's OT because i think it has probably been discussed way too many times and I dont want to bore anyone (no doubt some @#$%& will be bored...i'll wait for it)..

i think Mick Taylor's effort on Stray Cat in MSG 1969 is one of his most finest!!!
so amazing, fluent...i will argue his finest from 1969 !

Re: OT - Mick Taylor and Stray Cat Blues
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 6, 2012 19:13

Not boring at all. The Stones reworked alot of their songs for the '69 and having a crackin' new guitarist to play with them gave the songs a new life. They became a new band in 1969 and Mick helped them to to do so...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 6, 2012 19:19

a little boring, i think...

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: January 7, 2012 16:57

ChrisM
Not boring at all. The Stones reworked alot of their songs for the '69 and having a crackin' new guitarist to play with them gave the songs a new life. They became a new band in 1969 and Mick helped them to to do so...

I agree with you ChrisM. They were expanding songs, jamming things out and taking some chances. I love the sound and the result that followed.

I wonder if there were any people at the 1969 MSG (or Baltimore as part of YaYas is from that city) concerts thinking: 'I'll never see the Stones again...they totally rearranged XXXXXX song with this new guitarist...I miss Brian'.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 7, 2012 17:44

Its one of the greatest unkown solos of all time to the mass mainstream music fan.Blusey,dirty, graveyard setting.

play the guitar boy

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: January 7, 2012 18:03

buffalo7478
ChrisM

I agree with you ChrisM. They were expanding songs, jamming things out and taking some chances. I love the sound and the result that followed.

I wonder if there were any people at the 1969 MSG (or Baltimore as part of YaYas is from that city) concerts thinking: 'I'll never see the Stones again...they totally rearranged XXXXXX song with this new guitarist...I miss Brian'.

stones fans always seem to need the old songs -IN 69, paint it black girl , jagger apologised for the new stuff ( on some boot) and even in vancouver 72 he asks what the people want , new songs or old ones and you can clearly hear them shout OLD ONES !!

of course of the old ones in 69 all of them are a step above the originals.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: January 7, 2012 18:13

The Leeds 71' version is my favorite, mainly because of Taylor.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 7, 2012 18:58

SFTD is not a guitar song. There is a solo there, but the guitar comes in very late in the song and is not the dominant instrument. It's more of a piano/percussion song. But in '69 it was a GUITAR song. That is what I remember coming away with. This is a GUITAR band, a great GUITAR band and every song arrangement on stage revolves around that point. The other point was it is a groove band. The mix of guitar solos and rhythms was a clear and impressive statement by the band. That is what Iggy Pop was talking about in that quote I posted sometime back. It was audacious and the songs had a distinct life separate from the studio recording. The studio arrangements were adapted on stage to the skills of the guitar players. Boring? No way. It was a revelation. SCB was the first moment in the show when Taylor got to exhibit his blues lead prowess.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 7, 2012 18:59

Eleanor Rigby
..sorry,....but i think it's OT because i think it has probably been discussed way too many times and I dont want to bore anyone (no doubt some @#$%& will be bored...i'll wait for it)..

i think Mick Taylor's effort on Stray Cat in MSG 1969 is one of his most finest!!!
so amazing, fluent...i will argue his finest from 1969 !

Yes - this is one of the finest examples of the Stones doing a completely different arrangement from the studio version. It's one of my favorite tracks on my favorite live album of all time - Ya Ya's! Hearing Keith thrash away at the chords with pure abandon behind Mick Taylor's licks is to hear some of the finest minutes in rock and roll.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 7, 2012 19:20

straycatblues73

Not a step above, just different. thumbs up

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: January 7, 2012 19:50

taylor playing stray cat on yas yas is killer!

Date: January 7, 2012 20:07

His Majesty
straycatblues73

different, and a step above thumbs up thumbs up

Date: January 7, 2012 21:19

It's not so much that Taylor was able to show off his Blues prowess. It is not a trad 1-4-5 blues at all. I think it shows how versatile Taylor is, and melodic. On something like "Love in Vain" he is wailing on the Blues, but this is more blues based rock ( I know it is just titles).
But I have to say that to me it was always Keith who was even more impressive o this very song; the live '69 rendition. Matter of fact if someone asks me for one of my alltime favorite rock guitar parts, it is Keith behind Taylor in the SCB solo on Ya-Ya's. It goes from C-G-D ending on the A/Asus, and Keith is so raunchy and solid back there.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: January 8, 2012 03:40

Thi guy has the right idea I think:

Stray Cat Blues - Get Your Ya Yas Out

Date: January 8, 2012 05:29

straycatblues73
His Majesty
straycatblues73

different, and a step above thumbs up thumbs up

No, just different. thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Date: January 8, 2012 13:20

Taylor's guitar on SCB on Ya Ya's is awesome, and it's a great version.

Still, nothing can touch the original studio version, imo. That danger is hard to re-create, so that's probably why the Stones tried a different arrangement live.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: January 8, 2012 19:10

In his masterpiece 'Experience', Martin Amis describes how the power of 'Stray Cat Blues' got his attention, when listening to the newly issue GYYYO.
He does not mention Mick Taylor's solo, but it seems more than obvious that he was very impressed by his effort.
In 'Mistery Train' Greil Marcus quotes Oackland's 'Love in Vain' as one of the highest moment in history of live music.
Johnny Thunder, Iggy Pop and many other have already paid their tribute to this tour. It seems that, for some reason or another, everybody has his own 'best' when talking about the 1969 tour.
I refuse to take part to Brian Jones vs Mick Taylor debate, but I dare to say that if BJ remained a Stone, we'd never got such a tour, the way we know it.
The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World?
Luca

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: January 8, 2012 20:37

straycatblues73

stones fans always seem to need the old songs -IN 69, paint it black girl , jagger apologised for the new stuff ( on some boot) and even in vancouver 72 he asks what the people want , new songs or old ones and you can clearly hear them shout OLD ONES !!

It's just that they wanna hear something they know. The new songs aren't yet ingrained in their consciousness the way the old ones are. That's why we get the hits-heavy setlists of today. It's why all the old late 60's and 70's classics have become "war horses".

Date: January 9, 2012 01:46

1963luca0

I refuse to take part to Brian Jones vs Mick Taylor debate, but I dare to say that if BJ remained a Stone, we'd never got such a tour, the way we know it.

I think everyone can agree that for better or worse the tour would not have been the same, or even maybe have taken place had Brian Jones remained a member of The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 9, 2012 01:57

His Majesty
1963luca0

I think everyone can agree that for better or worse the tour would not have been the same, or even maybe have taken place had Brian Jones remained a member of The Rolling Stones.

I agree too it wouldn't been the same, but I'm not sure the tour would's take place with a new guitarist

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 9, 2012 09:54

Possibly the greatest guitar solo on a Rolling Stones record. I love the way he switches between the major and minor pentatonic. Up there with "Sway", which sadly was nver perfromed live while Taylor was in the band.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 9, 2012 10:20

It's great but a little busy for me. I have always thought his guitar on SFM was the highlight of that album. What a tone, incredible vibrato.

Date: January 9, 2012 11:52

Stones62
Thi guy has the right idea I think:

Stray Cat Blues - Get Your Ya Yas Out

I think he has the right idea too. One can see how he is plainlky following the chords in his positioning. I saw this clip once where Taylor was giving kind of pointers to guitar playing in a video; and what he showed was very basic. His solo-ing is real decptive because it SEEMS very simple, but he always ma: like what they call 'rock-boxes'.
But then he manages to tie all the boxes together into a melody.
That is the main strength of Taylor's solos IMO - that they are memorable, hummable.

Date: January 10, 2012 16:31

terraplane
It's great but a little busy for me. I have always thought his guitar on SFM was the highlight of that album. What a tone, incredible vibrato.

that is the greatness of ya-ya's , its got so many highlights and outstanding guitarparts of both keith and mick, there is something for everyone !

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 10, 2012 16:45

Yes, I like this version, too. The Beggars version and Ya Ya's version are two songs, actually. On Beggars Stray Cat is somewhat of an early Punk song with a distorted lead guitar at the end. There is no actual solo on it. MT on Ya Ya's carved out the underlying blues structure of Stray Cat and had the technical abilities to play an ingenious blues-solo. No one of the line-up in '68 was able to play such a guitar solo.

Date: January 10, 2012 17:19

RobertJohnson
On Beggars Stray Cat is somewhat of an early Punk song with a distorted lead guitar at the end.

There's 2 or 3 lead guitars on the studio version from the 2nd chorus onwards. thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-10 17:27 by His Majesty.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 10, 2012 18:23

His Majesty
RobertJohnson
On Beggars Stray Cat is somewhat of an early Punk song with a distorted lead guitar at the end.

There's 2 or 3 lead guitars on the studio version from the 2nd chorus onwards. thumbs up

Yes, you're right, but only the aforementioned last guitar scenario has the character of a solo part I think.

Date: January 10, 2012 18:35

--------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-10 18:45 by 71Tele.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 10, 2012 18:39

71Tele
StonesTod

You think Chuck Leavell isn't boring, but the solo on SCB from ya Yas is. You kill me Tod.

i didn't say that - i said that eleanor's post was a little boring. jeez. i hate having to explain myself.

Date: January 10, 2012 18:44

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod

You think Chuck Leavell isn't boring, but the solo on SCB from ya Yas is. You kill me Tod.

i didn't say that - i said that eleanor's post was a little boring. jeez. i hate having to explain myself.

I withdraw my comment, sir. With apologies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home