Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Writing credita in the Stones
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 4, 2012 21:20

varilla
Who wrote Satisfaction then?

The riff is essentially a slightly busier version of the horn riff from Martha and The Vandellas - Nowehere To Run.

Forum member howled did a nice breakdown recently of the slight differences between them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-04 21:21 by His Majesty.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 4, 2012 21:35

Brian didn't write the Last Time, Pops Staples did, though

Date: January 4, 2012 21:37

tomcasagranda

Brian wrote/came up with the guitar riff.

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: January 4, 2012 21:39

...or we could just give all of them credit for "inspiration" ;-)

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 4, 2012 22:19

tomcasagranda

No the Staples wrote the song that is the blueprint for the Last Time. Jagger/Richards wrote the last time. Brian wrote the riff which is important to the song.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 4, 2012 22:33

Many of you seem to know very little about songwriting with a band.

I believe 100% that Mick and Keith ripped off their own bandmates and sidemen for songwriting credit. Thanks to "Jagger/Richards" and "Lennon/McCartney" there are millions of people out there who think it's okay to allot 2 people songwriting credit for a song that was worked out by 2, 3, 4 more people.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: January 4, 2012 22:36

His Majesty
tomcasagranda

Brian wrote/came up with the guitar riff.

How do we know he came up with it?

Date: January 4, 2012 22:38

Redhotcarpet
tomcasagranda

No the Staples wrote the song that is the blueprint for the Last Time. Jagger/Richards wrote the last time. Brian wrote the riff which is important to the song.

Do you have a source for that?

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: January 4, 2012 23:04

jamesfdouglas

I believe 100% that Mick and Keith ripped off their own bandmates and sidemen for songwriting credit. Thanks to "Jagger/Richards" and "Lennon/McCartney" there are millions of people out there who think it's okay to allot 2 people songwriting credit for a song that was worked out by 2, 3, 4 more people.
The "Arranged by the Rolling Stones"-credit comes to mind. But that is something different and maybe a way to keep the Jagger/Richards partner club intact. Bill claims to have been called greedy when he asked to get credits for parts he say he wrote. To get the money you need song writing credits. Both Mick and Keith and Paul and John are known to have been protective about that. Business business.

Now, I'm pretty convinced that Mick and Keith wrote most of the material. But what I wonder is how many of the times they showed up with a 100% complete song and how many of the times they showed up with the basic structure and worked it out together with the band? We know that Bill wrote songs and we know that Brian "had bits and pieces but no complete songs". It's very unlikely that those guys didn't play riffs, melodies and even had words that were used in some of the songs. Because, like you say James, that's how it works when you're in a band and especially a rock n roll band.

Date: January 4, 2012 23:50

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
tomcasagranda

Yes, Keith said so in a 1965 Beat Instrumental magazine. thumbs up

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 5, 2012 00:23

jamesfdouglas

"Working out" arrangements is NOT the same as writing a song, We've been through this.

Date: January 5, 2012 00:28

71Tele

"Working out" arrangements is NOT the same as writing a song, We've been through this.

That depends on whether or not the working out of arrangements changes an already written song and/or if an arrangement is used as basis for the writing of a song.

The waters of song writing, especially the way in which the stones worked, can easily get muddy.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: January 5, 2012 02:48

jamesfdouglas

If you already have the song written, lyrics, chords, music, etc. then the rest is arrangements.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 5, 2012 03:05

stones78
jamesfdouglas

If you already have the song written, lyrics, chords, music, etc. then the rest is arrangements.

I guess that works... if you believe that every Jagger/Richards tune was done like that. It's not like we have accesss to any sources (audio or film) showing the band working out songs together before they're complete.

Oh wait...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: January 5, 2012 03:12

jamesfdouglas
stones78
jamesfdouglas

I guess that works... if you believe that every Jagger/Richards tune was done like that. It's not like we have accesss to any sources (audio or film) showing the band working out songs together before they're complete.

Oh wait...

Point me to an audio source where someone says "No Keith, the melody should go like this" or "Mick, this chord sounds better" or "The lyrics should be like this"...even in the Godard film the song is already written, as seen when Mick is showing the chords to Keith & Brian.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 5, 2012 09:29

varilla
ThereĀ“s a lot of talk about this matter. We all know of an interminable list of musicians claiming that they deserve writing credits for this or that song.
You name them: Bill Wyman, Brian Jones, Mick Taylor, Billy Preston, Nicky Hopkins, Gram Parsons,etc, etc

Obviously, they have contributed and they got paid for it, but i am sure all the great songs would appear all the same without all the contributions.
Maybe they would not be the same, have another feel, etc, but the Rolling Stones would still be the Rolling Stones. What have all these musicians done when apart from Jagger/Richards? Not much in my opinion

On the other hand, lots of times the Glimmer twins shared writing credits (ronnie Wood, Mick Taylor, Chuck Leavell, Pierre de Beauport, M.Faithfull, etc) so maybe, when deserved, Mick and Keef , open themselves to sharing credits.

I would love to know if there's any verifiable info on when and how it became pretty much cast in stone (with some exception) that everything would be credited to Jagger - Richards. Seems like some sort of contractual thing that's proven very hard for people to break through. By now we know that many songs were written by one or the other. Not to mention the whole sticky point of contributions by others. Bill Wyman claims the classic riff for JJF was his. Keith's take is that coming up with a riff or a chord progression does not qualify someone for credit unless they were able to take said riff and turn it into an actual song. I see his point but would JJF even exist if not for that riff? If Bill did come up with it, he'd get credit if he were in my band. Then of course....he's not. Ronnie claims that at the time of Black and Blue, he was told he was "not qualified" to get credit for writing Hey Negrita. What does that mean, I wonder? He says he wrote it but that Jagger changed the lyrics, so he swallowed his pride and settled for an "inspired by" credit.

Date: January 5, 2012 09:46

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
tomcasagranda

Yes, Keith said so in a 1965 Beat Instrumental magazine. thumbs up

Thanks! thumbs up

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: January 5, 2012 09:56

seitan
boston2006
stones78
SweetThing
Yes, that's correct. Somehow though we still have very many Jagger solo credits.

On which songs?

Perhaps I'm in error but aren't all songs on Stones LPs credited to Jagger / Richards that they wrote ? I cannot recall seeing anything other than that credit . Unless of course there was another writer credited along with them . EG "Everything Is Turning to Gold"

Of course on their solo LPs the writing credits are solo or with other writers

There's Jagger/Richards/KD Lang song and Jagger/Richards/ Pierre DeBeaumont song on Bridges To Babylon. Sister Morphine on Sticky Fingers has been credited to Jager/Richards/Faithfull, etc ..there's plenty of co- written songs on Stones albums.

In response to the part of seitans post that is in bold ,

I agree that there are some songs co - written as you stated , I also gave an example of what you said , But in order to fully understand what you are stating you should catch up on history . Sister Morphine indeed has been credited to Jagger / Richards / Faithfull on reissues . The original LP it was not and that is my point .

Date: January 5, 2012 10:00

boston2006
seitan
boston2006
stones78
SweetThing
Yes, that's correct. Somehow though we still have very many Jagger solo credits.

On which songs?

Perhaps I'm in error but aren't all songs on Stones LPs credited to Jagger / Richards that they wrote ? I cannot recall seeing anything other than that credit . Unless of course there was another writer credited along with them . EG "Everything Is Turning to Gold"

Of course on their solo LPs the writing credits are solo or with other writers

There's Jagger/Richards/KD Lang song and Jagger/Richards/ Pierre DeBeaumont song on Bridges To Babylon. Sister Morphine on Sticky Fingers has been credited to Jager/Richards/Faithfull, etc ..there's plenty of co- written songs on Stones albums.

In response to the part of seitans post that is in bold ,

I agree that there are some songs co - written as you stated , I also gave an example of what you said , But in order to fully understand what you are stating you should catch up on history . Sister Morphine indeed has been credited to Jagger / Richards / Faithfull on reissues . The original LP it was not and that is my point .

But do we know that this was Mick and Keith's fault? Could be sloppy work from the record company etc.

Date: January 5, 2012 10:09

They ( Mick & Kieth ) were well aware of what was happening . They stole that song and finally relented to give credit where credit was due after the fact .

Date: January 5, 2012 10:10

boston2006
They ( Mick & Kieth ) were well aware of what was happening . They stole that song and finally relented to give credit where credit was due after the fact .

Sources?

Date: January 5, 2012 10:15

DandelionPowderman
boston2006

Sources?

I cannot recall at this time . I've read so many books on them that it has all run into one 3,098,746 page book . but I'm going to venture a guess and say it can be found in

[www.amazon.com]

Read this book . it's very good .

Date: January 5, 2012 10:23

boston2006
DandelionPowderman
boston2006

Sources?

I cannot recall at this time . I've read so many books on them that it has all run into one 3,098,746 page book . but I'm going to venture a guess and say it can be found in

[www.amazon.com]

Read this book . it's very good .

And how many of those books are factual objective? winking smiley

I will check it out, haven't read that one. Thanks!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 5, 2012 10:35

Music isn't something you write, it's something you play, and hopefully together with other musicians..Bob Dylan wrote the lyrics to 'Like a Rolling Stone' and suggested some chords for it, but what makes the song is Al Coopers marvellous organ...the writing credits should be given to Mr Cooper if you ask me...the lyrics is for booklovers....

2 1 2 0

Date: January 5, 2012 10:52

Come On
Music isn't something you write, it's something you play, and hopefully together with other musicians..Bob Dylan wrote the lyrics to 'Like a Rolling Stone' and suggested some chords for it, but what makes the song is Al Coopers marvellous organ...the writing credits should be given to Mr Cooper if you ask me...the lyrics is for booklovers....

Bollocks!

Do you know how much easier it is to add something to an already written song?

If Al came up with the parts first, and Bob wrote the rest later, it would have been another story.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 5, 2012 10:57

Ha Ha, OK this isn't the best of examples...and it is just an example...

2 1 2 0

Date: January 5, 2012 11:16

Come On
Ha Ha, OK this isn't the best of examples...and it is just an example...

Yeah, but the example is valid compared to how the Stones work.

But it's the other way around. Keith makes a riff and a chord progression, then Mick developes the melody and write most of the lyrics.

At least, that's how they used to work. I suspect that nowadays, Mick does a lot more than that.

Re: Writing credits in the Stones
Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 5, 2012 11:19

boston2006
Deltics
boston2006
Although you make a valid point regarding sharing credits , you must admit that the Glimmer Twins tried to pull a fast one on several occaisions regarding credits .

EG . Sister Morphine
I Don't Know Why
Prodigal Son

These are obvious " errors in judgement " there are several others .

I Don't Know Why is not an example of the Glimmer Twins trying to "pull a fast one".
It was an error by Decca/Abkco when it was released as a 45 in 1975. Oddly enough, the demo disc had the correct composer credits: [www.45cat.com]

You are correct on the UK release , the US demo release was credited to Jagger / Richards / Taylor

That was Klein's error nothing to do with Mick and Keith. and are you sure Prodigal son was originally credited to Jagger/Richards ?

Date: January 5, 2012 11:21

Ket
boston2006
Deltics
boston2006
Although you make a valid point regarding sharing credits , you must admit that the Glimmer Twins tried to pull a fast one on several occaisions regarding credits .

EG . Sister Morphine
I Don't Know Why
Prodigal Son

These are obvious " errors in judgement " there are several others .

I Don't Know Why is not an example of the Glimmer Twins trying to "pull a fast one".
It was an error by Decca/Abkco when it was released as a 45 in 1975. Oddly enough, the demo disc had the correct composer credits: [www.45cat.com]

You are correct on the UK release , the US demo release was credited to Jagger / Richards / Taylor

That was Klein's error nothing to do with Mick and Keith. and are you sure Prodigal son was originally credited to Jagger/Richards ?

That was what I thought I had read, too. Thanks!

Date: January 5, 2012 12:16

Yes , the original LP release made no mention of Reverend Wilkins ,In fact LPs that do not mention Wilikins as the writer are a bit of a collectors item . Not highly valuable but a collectors item nonetheless .

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1347
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home