Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Under My Thumb Lyrics At Altamont
Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: January 2, 2012 05:27

[www.keno.org]

It seems to me when Mick sings this at Altamont... at the close of the lyrics, he sings in the parts "Ah, ah, say it's alright", he says that indeed but to me, it sounds like at one point he also sings and right before the end, "I pray that it's alright." Which would be reflective of the crowd scene and if I understand correctly, it is during "Under my thumb" that sadly that stabbing occurred.

So, one can disagree with me but if you have a good recording or copy of the movie, you can listen for yourself. Would that be a Freudian slip or what? More idiosyncracies about that performance. Maybe it is not there, maybe I'm totally wrong.

I always heard it on record, not sure if it is audible from this film clip.

Some of the comments talk about the Angels with names, we had a thread on this about a month ago where that one Angel was talked about but I'm not sure if these comments are talking about the one referred to in the thread posted a month ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-02 05:36 by BroomWagon.

Re: Under My Thumb Lyrics At Altamont
Posted by: nobs ()
Date: January 2, 2012 05:41

he sings "i pray that it's alright" a few times at the end, i always thought that was pretty obvious

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: January 2, 2012 05:45

Thanks! Well, I've never heard it mentioned. Not even a reference on the net readily.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 2, 2012 05:51

Yeah nobs has got it ....few times at the end ....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 2, 2012 06:01

Yes, I always saw those lyrics in that song addressing the whole day head-on. And as a twist of fate would have it, it is exactly at this time that the murder occurred.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 2, 2012 07:44

nope...the murder had happened BEFORE he sang these words...
he sings those words because he prays that it's ok !!!

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: January 2, 2012 08:58

The murder didn't happen during Under My Thumb, even though it appears so in Gimme Shelter. In fact, the whole movie is cut un-chronological to fit better. You can see how Keith suddenly changes guitars in the same song and so on.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 2, 2012 09:21

DiscoVolante
The murder didn't happen during Under My Thumb, even though it appears so in Gimme Shelter. In fact, the whole movie is cut un-chronological to fit better. You can see how Keith suddenly changes guitars in the same song and so on.

yes it did.

the version we hear in the Gimme Shelter movie is take #2 of UMT.
If you check out the bootleg of the show, UMT starts and stops after the intro...this is when the murder takes places.
It then re-starts and the song is completed after the murder.

Posted by: mandrax1972 ()
Date: January 5, 2012 21:45

great version of this song - no matter what the hell was going on in the crowd - luv the intro.......

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 5, 2012 21:47

Eleanor Rigby
DiscoVolante

yes it did.

If you check out the bootleg of the show, UMT starts and stops after the intro...this is when the murder takes places.

it's always a good idea to complete a song after a murder...and pray that it's alright and stuff, too.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: January 5, 2012 22:12

StonesTod
Eleanor Rigby
DiscoVolante

yes it did.

it's always a good idea to complete a song after a murder...and pray that it's alright and stuff, too.

Lmfao

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 5, 2012 22:15

I didn't think Mick prays...that's cool

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 5, 2012 22:39

Munichhilton

might've been his last go at it...didn't help much in this instance...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 5, 2012 22:45

StonesTod
Munichhilton

might've been his last go at it...didn't help much in this instance...

Thats true God Gave Him Everything but a peaceful day in the San Francisco hillside.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: January 5, 2012 22:57

The stabbing occurred after the Under My Thumb false start.You can hear it on the audience bootleg. The end of take 2 music is dubbed over the stabbing. You can see Wyman not playing, yet you hear his bass playing as we see the stabbing. Maysles put the murder where it would have theatrical effect, sadly to say. I don't think this dubbing has ever been mentioned. A few years ago I discussed the editing of this film with Albert Maysles, he doesn't really remember any fine details.

Date: January 6, 2012 01:19

Eleanor Rigby
nope...the murder had happened BEFORE he sang these words...
he sings those words because he prays that it's ok !!!

A lot of good it did him, huh.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home