Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Who really is musical director of the band?
Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: January 1, 2012 19:37

Don't believe it is Chuck, he just makes suggestions, and keeps the band tight. I think it is Jagger and Richards who decide the arrangement, and Chuck executes it, what I find hard to understand is why the band can be so tight on some numbers, but always do raggedy whenever Keith has a central role.

Re: Who really is musical director of the band?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 1, 2012 19:42

chuck leavell is not only the leader of the band but the leader of the free world as we know it. chuck rocks and rules like noone before or since...

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 1, 2012 19:44

Ain't that Chuck we hear doing the count before a number starts ?

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 1, 2012 19:53

Let me just quote:

In the immortal words of that old iron cow Margaret Thatcher: No, No, No, No.

In the immortal words of those dangerous Manson women Susan Atkins and Leslie Van Houten:

It´s Charlie.

..yeah, it´s Charlie´s band.

Date: January 1, 2012 19:57

It's Charlie's world. He just lets us live in it.

Date: January 1, 2012 20:10

StonesTod
chuck leavell is not only the leader of the band but the leader of the free world as we know it. chuck rocks and rules like noone before or since...

I am excluded from the 'we' in your post.

What I don't get is how Chuck is like 'noone'. What the hell is a "noone"? Is that some fancy English way of spelling 'noon' or has it become a common thing to say about Peter Noone like it is to say Google? As in, 'Man, they really got Katrina'd'.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 1, 2012 20:37

If it wasn't for Chuck. Keith would be worst.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 1, 2012 21:01

More Hot Rocks
If it wasn't for Chuck. Keith would be worst.
If it wasn't for Keith, Chuck would be out of a job and playing only in retirement home. It´s Keith's and Charlie's band with Mick as a manager and Ron as a Doctor Phil beetween Mickey and Keefy.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 1, 2012 21:03

LoveToPlayTheBlues
StonesTod

I am excluded from the 'we' in your post.

in retaliation, i excluded the 'we' from your name. now 'we' are even.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 1, 2012 21:03

Mick Jagger is the boss and on stage Leavell is an organizer who keeps keeps the things together.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 2, 2012 00:00

Mick devises the set lists; Chuck looks at the suitability of the songs, and Keith and Ronnie do the weaving, with Charlie as the engine room

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 2, 2012 00:14

guyrachel
Don't believe it is Chuck, he just makes suggestions, and keeps the band tight. I think it is Jagger and Richards who decide the arrangement, and Chuck executes it, what I find hard to understand is why the band can be so tight on some numbers, but always do raggedy whenever Keith has a central role.

I love Keith. I think, however, that Keith should stick to rhythm and Ronnie should play all leads unrestrained while sober. They would sound great. When they do that they sound tight.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 2, 2012 00:29

Keith used to be the "musical director" if you want to call it that. Mick used to rely on Keith for direction and changes.

Today, Chuck is the new Keith.

Mick works with Chuck to create a set list. Mick (and Charlie) rely on Chuck for changes when performing on stage.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 2, 2012 12:46

guyrachel

It's hard to say for sure. I'm sure Mick and keith call the shots as to how things should be done during rehearsals but onstage Chuck obviously directs the band as far as setting the tempos; he counts off the songs, and he cues changes like when to go to the chorus, bridge, and when a guitar solo should end and go back to the next verse, etc. This all keeps things slick but I liked it better when keith was the clear leader onstage. It was sloppier but it's part of what made the Stones sound like the Stones back around '78 - '81. I'm sure it was Jagger who managed to let Chuck usurp keith's leadership role onstage. I'm not crazy about it, but still nobody else out there sounds like the Stones so I'll take what I can get.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1723
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home