Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The greatest 15 minutes in rock history
Posted by: Errol ()
Date: December 29, 2011 12:29

For me the greatest performances in rock are the last 15 minutes of the 1972 and 1973 tours when the stones did, rip this joint jumping jack flash and then the peak ,street fighting man. As bill wyman said, not only were the albums let it bleed, beggars, sticky and exile the best albums the stones ever did,but he also said no other band in the Taylor years could touch them. Nick Kent after seeing the stones in London in1973 that "Jagger should have distributed cyanide capsules to the audience. Nothing absolutely nothing could ever follow a show like that".

Re: The greatest 15 minutes in rock history
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 29, 2011 12:51

you could be right!

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: December 29, 2011 15:01

Obviously, I know this is a Stones board but I would rank the re-union of Pink Floyd at Live 8 right up there at the top of the greatest 15 minutes in rock history.
They sounded great and marked the last time the original 4 members will ever play again. Just my opinion.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: December 29, 2011 15:04

The first 15 mins of the Gimme Shelter movie.... i.e. JJF and Satisfaction. The latter tune especially.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 29, 2011 15:05

steverogan
Obviously, I know this is a Stones board but I would rank the re-union of Pink Floyd at Live 8 right up there at the top of the greatest 15 minutes in rock history.
They sounded great and marked the last time the original 4 members will ever play again. Just my opinion.

Dave Gilmour isn't an original member of Pink Floyd.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: December 29, 2011 15:21

i agree!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 29, 2011 15:52

Just pick it out of 'Don't look back'...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 29, 2011 15:53

As much as I love the Stones it's got to be Bobby strapping on his electric at Newport 65.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 29, 2011 15:56

And if it ain't that, it's this.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 29, 2011 16:09

His Majesty
steverogan

Yeah Ringo isn't an original member of the Beatles either. Semantics ...both Gilmour and Ringo are necessary components for Pink Floyd and the Beatles. Floyd without DG these days is not something I'd be interested in. peace.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: December 29, 2011 17:06

The Beatles first 15 minutes on Ed Sullivan. Elvis s first 15 on Ed.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 29, 2011 17:42

Naturalust
His Majesty
steverogan

Yeah Ringo isn't an original member of the Beatles either. Semantics ...both Gilmour and Ringo are necessary components for Pink Floyd and the Beatles. Floyd without DG these days is not something I'd be interested in. peace.

I don't think Charlie is an 'original' member of the Rolling Stones for that matter.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 29, 2011 18:08

Errol
For me the greatest performances in rock are the last 15 minutes of the 1972 and 1973 tours when the stones did, rip this joint jumping jack flash and then the peak ,street fighting man. As bill wyman said, not only were the albums let it bleed, beggars, sticky and exile the best albums the stones ever did,but he also said no other band in the Taylor years could touch them. Nick Kent after seeing the stones in London in1973 that "Jagger should have distributed cyanide capsules to the audience. Nothing absolutely nothing could ever follow a show like that".

Actually, the last 3 songs of the 72/73 shows are the ones I usually skip. Jumping Jack Flash and Street Fighting Man were always played way way way too fast. HOWEVER, Midnight Rambler alone, on any of those gigs, could likely be the greatest 12 minutes in rock history! =)

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: December 29, 2011 18:18

the bias is showing from some of you. It's an interesting question though. I'd like to see it asked on a general Rock And Roll message board.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 29, 2011 18:26

flacnvinyl
HOWEVER, Midnight Rambler alone, on any of those gigs, could likely be the greatest 12 minutes in rock history! =)

+ 1

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 29, 2011 18:35

The night Jim Morrison sang the "Oedipal version" of THE END with the Doors at the Whiskey a Go Go while on multiple doses of acid and even the waitresses froze in their tracks.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 29, 2011 18:59

WeLoveYou
The first 15 mins of the Gimme Shelter movie.... i.e. JJF and Satisfaction. The latter tune especially.

thumbs up

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: December 29, 2011 19:07

It's funny you mentioned this because I have often listened to that exact song sequence from that precise period and marveled at how good they were. That was some very powerfully muscular playing!

SFM from Ya Ya's was a great go to song for listening to while driving and needing something exhilarating yet when I first heard a boot with the other two songs preceding SFM, well, I was floored. Now that is great music to drive to!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 29, 2011 19:18

Bert and Doris Richards getting it on in early 1943.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 29, 2011 19:23

..or 2 last songs on Blonde on Blonde..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: December 29, 2011 19:40

The last time Peter smashed his guitar on the MSG stage...

Date: December 29, 2011 19:45

Of course it's when Jimi Hendrix broke into All Along the Watchtower at Monterey Pop festival, with rock's royalty and Bian Jones too in the front row. He was ON it. Smiling and chewing gum and rippin it up! Hello Jimi!

And for the rest of the 15 minutes probably this performance of Red House by him at the Royal Albert Hall....stunningly magnificant! peace.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: December 29, 2011 19:55

Naturalust
Of course it's when Jimi Hendrix broke into All Along the Watchtower at Monterey Pop festival, with rock's royalty and Bian Jones too in the front row. He was ON it. Smiling and chewing gum and rippin it up! Hello Jimi!

And for the rest of the 15 minutes probably this performance of Red House by him at the Royal Albert Hall....stunningly magnificant! peace.

It would be interesting to compile a list of some of rock's greatest moments, I think Jimi would belong on there, the Dylan stuff I guess is famous but the Stones trilogy or even duolgoy with JJF/SFM or even Satisfaction is pretty awesome.

So one could compile a list of great moments and vote it, Stones, Hendrix, etc. Hendrix is good at woodstock with Purple Haze and the Star Spangled Banner. Woodstock could have some other moments too and then vote on it subjectively, it would be a good topic at the amazon forums and also, I would not dismiss everything before this, there might be some good things on the Ed Sullivan show but maybe not 15 minutes and more, Little Richard, etc.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: December 29, 2011 20:02

Come On
..or 2 last songs on Blonde on Blonde..

[en.wikipedia.org]

Well if that is Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands and Obviously 5 believers, not too sure about that at all. Dylan is great, maybe one could say when he went electric but Dylan is always a lot about folk music too.

It may be commercial but perhaps Springsteen doing Born to run to me is one of rock's exciting moments, I always stopped and watched that video, that's pretty darn good.

House of the rising sun clocking in at under 5 minutes certainly is exciting too though you can't then project it into a live performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-29 20:03 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: December 29, 2011 20:42

71Tele
WeLoveYou

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-29 20:43 by Blue.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: December 29, 2011 20:49

DrPete
The Beatles first 15 minutes on Ed Sullivan. Elvis s first 15 on Ed.
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up
Have to agree to read this one.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 29, 2011 20:58

microvibe

i agree!

I also agree that Dave Gilmour is not an original member of Pink Floyd.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 31, 2011 14:39

Naturalust

Yeah Ringo isn't an original member of the Beatles either.

treaclefingers

I don't think Charlie is an 'original' member of the Rolling Stones for that matter.

Not technically, but both Charlie and Ringo came on board in time for the wanted and settled upon line up and in time for their careers to beging properly with record releases etc under their own name.

The Beatles and The Rolling Stones jigsaw's were incomplete until they were able to find the drummers they wanted.

Gilmour joining Pink Floyd, is totally different to Ringo and Charlies situations. Ringo and Charlie joined something which wasn't quite settled or finalised, Gilmour joined an already existing and officially signed, succsesful band with an album and singles.

Date: December 31, 2011 15:56

His Majesty
Naturalust

Yeah Ringo isn't an original member of the Beatles either.

treaclefingers

Not technically, but both Charlie and Ringo came on board in time for the wanted and settled upon line up and in time for their careers to beging properly with record releases etc under their own name.

The Beatles and The Rolling Stones jigsaw's were incomplete until they were able to find the drummers they wanted.

Gilmour joining Pink Floyd, is totally different to Ringo and Charlies situations. Ringo and Charlie joined something which wasn't quite settled or finalised, Gilmour joined an already existing and officially signed, succsesful band with an album and singles.

Good point His Majesty. Lucky man he was too, at that point. More like Mick Taylor and Ron Wood's kind of "welcome to the machine" entries then. Still Gilmour was the spark that IGNITED the Floyd imho. I have alot of respect for Roger Waters , mostly as a sincere lyricist but it's Gilmour's guitar that floats this boy's boat, and continued to in the years Mr. Waters was building and tearing down walls of different sorts. Gilmour carried the torch to my generation who kinda missed all that really trippy early stuff. peace.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 31, 2011 16:09

I vote for Queen at Live Aid.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1122
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home