Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Before The Internet
Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: December 31, 2011 00:16

had to "snail-mail" payment to Ad-Libitum Records for vinyl bootlegs...pretty sure they had an ad in the Rolling Stone magazine classified section..another bootleg dealer was called "Very English & Rolling Stoned"...a real rush finding a newly delivered record mailer in the mailbox full of Stones goodies.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 31, 2011 00:22

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-31 01:35 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 31, 2011 00:23

Rockman
and you could eliminate all the garbage.

Yeah imagine what BV's delete bin looks like everyday....

LOL...

When the album 'Its Only Rock n Roll' came out, Jagger sort of encouraged fans to spray paint the album title on walls (just like on the album cover). Does anyone else remember this?

You could still see the words "Its Only Rock n Roll" (albeit slightly faded) just beside the back entrance of Belfast City Hall for over two decades afterwards.

Then, when we got a presidential visit from Bill Clinton in 1994 or so the council gave the building a makeover and it disappeared.

I never forgave him for that.

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: December 31, 2011 00:47

In the early seventies we tried to get New Musical Express (and Melody Maker) in Norway. - Yes, I have the flexi-disc from that time! smiling smiley And I remember a Danish Fan Club (but not the name of it) from the early seventies. We ordered all the bootlegs they had for sale at that time, and pay for them. And then we start to wait - and then we called Denmark - when will they arrive?!! I remember we draw about them. I got Winther tour 1973 and my friend (Geir) got Welcome to New York. (TMOQ) Great memories! And since 1981 - IORR (Member no. 92) We was at his place and packed and sendt out IORR at that time. In 1983 inside Undercover you could get a member of Beggars Banquet- I sent some money to US, so I got a few of these copies as well. I also got the copies of a fantazine called "No Expectations" - and it was! 6 numbers and it was gone. Now I'm waiting to get IORR no. 62 in the post! Hats off to Bjørnulf!! When I saw this tread I had a look and I found the add in Melody Maker from 1974 for the Kilbourn Show. (The first barbarians) That was the way we found out things "in the old days" Hope to see you all out there in 2012 for some new shows - I'm the guy with IORR T-shirt, he,he.

A happy new year to all of you!
Per-Arne

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 31, 2011 00:49

You could still see the words "Its Only Rock n Roll" (albeit slightly faded) just beside the back entrance of Belfast City Hall for over two decades afterwards.

Then, when we got a presidential visit from Bill Clinton in 1994 or so the council gave the building a makeover and it disappeared

.......... Yeah Gazza .......that's a shame

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: December 31, 2011 01:02

Per-Arne
In the early seventies we tried to get New Musical Express (and Melody Maker) in Norway. - Yes, I have the flexi-disc from that time! smiling smiley And I remember a Danish Fan Club (but not the name of it) from the early seventies. We ordered all the bootlegs they had for sale at that time, and pay for them. And then we start to wait - and then we called Denmark - when will they arrive?!! I remember we draw about them. I got Winter tour 1973 and my friend (Geir) got Welcome to New York. (TMOQ) Great memories! And since 1981 - IORR (Member no. 92) We was at his place and packed and sendt out IORR at that time. In 1983 inside Undercover you could get a member of Beggars Banquet- I sent some money to US, so I got a few of these copies as well. I also got the copies of a fantazine called "No Expectations" - and it was! 6 numbers and it was gone. Now I'm waiting to get IORR no. 62 in the post! Hats off to Bjørnulf!! When I saw this tread I had a look and I found the add in Melody Maker from 1974 for the Kilbourn Show. (The first barbarians) That was the way we found out things "in the old days" Hope to see you all out there in 2012 for some new shows - I'm the guy with IORR T-shirt, he,he.

A happy new year to all of you!
Per-Arne

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 31, 2011 01:14

Rockman

Then, when we got a presidential visit from Bill Clinton in 1994 or so the council gave the building a makeover and it disappeared

The real shame is that they went through the trouble of doing that, and Clinton probably would have liked it the way it was. Though I guess the fact he's a Stones fan wasn't widely known before Shine A Light.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 31, 2011 01:16

Though I guess the fact he's a Stones fan wasn't widely known before Shine A Light.

..... Yeah the rumour is CS Blues is a big fave of Bill's....

ROCKMAN

Date: December 31, 2011 01:16

NoCode0680
Rockman

The real shame is that they went through the trouble of doing that, and Clinton probably would have liked it the way it was. Though I guess the fact he's a Stones fan wasn't widely known before Shine A Light.

He introduced the Stones at the NRDC benefit show in LA in 2003.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 31, 2011 01:18

Rockman
Though I guess the fact he's a Stones fan wasn't widely known before Shine A Light.

..... Yeah the rumour is CS Blues is a big fave of Bill's....

LOL

Date: December 31, 2011 01:25

Gazza
NoCode0680
Rockman

He introduced the Stones at the NRDC benefit show in LA in 2003.

And in the film he said he introduced them sometime in 2000 or 2001 also I think, but I mean it wasn't WIDELY known. Though it still may not be, but it is on film now.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: December 31, 2011 01:28

Pretty much it was Mtv or magazines for me. I remember the very first thing I looked up on the internet in 95 or 95 was The Stones. Found a bunch of lyrics to their songs and a biography of the band. Thought it was SO COOL!!!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 31, 2011 01:57

spsimmons
Pretty much it was Mtv or magazines for me. I remember the very first thing I looked up on the internet in 95 or 95 was The Stones. Found a bunch of lyrics to their songs and a biography of the band. Thought it was SO COOL!!!

You youngsters with the MTV...

Date: December 31, 2011 02:00

back when the M of MTV actually meant Music.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 31, 2011 02:01

Max'sKansasCity

what did the T and the V mean?

Date: December 31, 2011 02:02

71Tele
spsimmons

You youngsters with the MTV...

MTV actually used to be a pretty good source of music news. I remember hearing the news about Pearl Jam's new album (at the time) "No Code", what it was called, when it would be released, etc, on MTV news, before I heard anything about it from the bands official fanclub which I was/am a member of.

Date: December 31, 2011 02:03

StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity

no one knows, I guess it was a secret.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 31, 2011 02:05

Isn't there also a claim that the Stones were the first band to perform live on the Internet? It was sometime in 1994, must have been associated with the release of Voodoo Lounge.

It's the old cliche, it's "hard to believe" that the "modern" Internet is now about 18 years old. I remember the first time I added the Winsock software to Windows 3.1 and ran the Netscape browser via a modem connection. For the fist time in years, I jumped around the room like an excited kid.

Can you imagine that before fax machines were widespread (say 1985 annd before) that companies actually mailed purchase orders to each other? That blows my mind! lol

Anyways, back on topic for me it was Rolling Stone magazine, Creem, Crawdaddy, a bit from the radio. I followed the build-up to the 1975 Tour of the Americas tour by buying magazines.

I really was tripping on the lighting design and the stage design. It seemed like the Rolling Stones often set the high-water mark for things like that and almost every other band was a distant second.

Date: December 31, 2011 02:08

It's hard to believe the Stones could have performed live on the internet in '94. Back then it would have taken me about a couple of minutes to download a still photo of the band.

Date: December 31, 2011 02:10

NoCode0680
It's hard to believe the Stones could have performed live on the internet in '94. Back then it would have taken me about a couple of minutes to download a still photo of the band.
They did have that CD rom voodoo lounge thing and they acted like they had a internet vote for a song to be played live

Date: December 31, 2011 02:15

Max'sKansasCity
NoCode0680
They did have that CD rom voodoo lounge thing and they acted like they had a internet vote for a song to be played live

Yeah, I remember they had the internet voting on B2B tour also (by the way, those of you who voted for Star Star for us in Ft. Worth, thanks) and I knew about the CD ROM for Stripped (but not Voodoo Lounge), but in the mid 90's I think in home computers the max speed was 28.8 kb/s, though a majority of people probably had 14.4 modems. It may have been possible, and I'm not calling you a liar, it just seems hard to believe they could pull that off given the technology. Maybe groups of people at colleges like MIT or something with some crazy awesome equipment could have actually streamed it.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 31, 2011 02:17

Perhaps they performed live online in 1994 via the RealPlayer. The live feed would have been the size of a postage stamp. The RealPlayer and "Real Media" are thankfully just about stone cold dead. I used to love to hate the RealPlayer for it's invasive bullcrap and apparently millions of people shared my opinion.

The do deserve some credit for the "vision thing" though and getting streaming live audio and live video, choppiness and all, on your computer via a 28 K and later a 56K modem connection was pretty amazing.

But now the RealPlayer is in the dustbin. Flash is soon to follow. muhahaha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-31 02:32 by MileHigh.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 31, 2011 02:22

StonesTod
german's beggars banquet was the first and final word...the internet killed that dude...

Interesting. You'd think he would have diversified and put his newsletter on line.

Date: December 31, 2011 02:29

Max'sKansasCity
NoCode0680

The cybervote was on the BTB tour. It was pretty much legit early on, but it was rigged more and more as time went on or dropped altogether.

The partial webcast they attempted was in '94 though. Cant recall which show (was it Dallas?) but it didnt quite come off

Date: December 31, 2011 02:39

ryanpow
StonesTod
german's beggars banquet was the first and final word...the internet killed that dude...

Interesting. You'd think he would have diversified and put his newsletter on line.

Going by his book, I think Bill had had a bucketful of Stones, Inc. by that stage.

Date: December 31, 2011 02:45

Gazza
Max'sKansasCity
NoCode0680

The cybervote was on the BTB tour. It was pretty much legit early on, but it was rigged more and more as time went on or dropped altogether.

The partial webcast they attempted was in '94 though. Cant recall which show (was it Dallas?) but it didnt quite come off

I always appreciated that they embraced "the new", even though the internet became obvious, I thought good for them for doing it, back when they were doing it.... and to this day I appreciate the fact they have never gone ballistic (ala Gene Simmons or Lars whats-his-name) about downloading, boot legging or being too nutty about banning their stuff from youtube.... Some bands are militant, as far as I can tell The Stones are not.

Date: December 31, 2011 02:46

ryanpow
StonesTod

not the point, really. there were so many other sources for immediate access to information, po' ol' bill never stood a chance for being "the one" anymore....

Date: December 31, 2011 02:54

Max'sKansasCity
Gazza
Max'sKansasCity
NoCode0680

I always appreciated that they embraced "the new", even though the internet became obvious, I thought good for them for doing it, back when they were doing it.... and to this day I appreciate the fact they have never gone ballistic (ala Gene Simmons or Lars whats-his-name) about downloading, boot legging or being too nutty about banning their stuff from youtube.... Some bands are militant, as far as I can tell The Stones are not.

They're not - thats correct - although they (and their legal people) ARE (understandably) pretty sensitive about copyright infringement.

Date: December 31, 2011 02:57

Gazza
They're not - thats correct - although they (and their legal people) ARE (understandably) pretty sensitive about copyright infringement.

and that's why (understandably) i've never given them my phone number or street address.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 31, 2011 03:09

StonesTod
Max'sKansasCity

tits and vagina

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1407
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home