Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

stereo "The Singer Not The Song"
Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: December 28, 2011 21:30

I recently heard a bootleg CD called "Bright Lights, Big City" which included a true stereo version of "The Singer Not The Song". I have been a Stones fan and collector since 1965 and never knew of the existence of this stereo track. Does anyone know if it was sourced from an official LP or CD? And if not, does anyone know where it came from?

Re: stereo "The Singer Not The Song"
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 28, 2011 21:34

I don't know the tune you are speaking of but I can say that making a song appear to be recorded in Stereo is fairly easy to do with the modern DSP engines out there. It's possible this process was done to the track you speak of. peace.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 28, 2011 21:38

thkbeercan
I recently heard a bootleg CD called "Bright Lights, Big City" which included a true stereo version of "The Singer Not The Song". I have been a Stones fan and collector since 1965 and never knew of the existence of this stereo track. Does anyone know if it was sourced from an official LP or CD? And if not, does anyone know where it came from?

was this the version with the singer on the left channel and the song on the right?

Date: December 28, 2011 21:49

vocals, drums, bass and acoustic guitar solo are centered
rhythm guitars are left and right

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 28, 2011 22:05

I do have a stereo version (MP3) of this song the stereo sound is not bad but I doubt if it's an orginal stereo release

Posted by: hulloder ()
Date: December 28, 2011 22:16

Yes Nicos...beautiful mx ma not original.

Date: December 28, 2011 22:32

StonesTod
thkbeercan

was this the version with the singer on the left channel and the song on the right?

ha, ha, just got your joke...good one!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 28, 2011 22:33

thkbeercan
StonesTod
thkbeercan

i had faith in ye

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 29, 2011 13:24

thkbeercan
StonesTod
thkbeercan

slow fuse humor. peace.

Posted by: René ()
Date: December 29, 2011 14:46

Officially released on "No Stone Unturned"

René

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: December 29, 2011 14:55

It is NOT a Stereo recording in ANY WAY. It's "electronically reprocessed for Stereo". Common practice for old Mono recordings to be treated that way in the 70's.

The Singer Not The Song, despite it being recorded on multi-tracks in September 1965 at RCA Studios, has only appeared in Mono. No true Stereo recording has ever appeared.

Only one track from the September sessions has ever been released in true Stereo: Get Off Of My Cloud -on the old London cd edition of Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Carster ()
Date: December 29, 2011 17:20

Blueranger
It is NOT a Stereo recording in ANY WAY.
The Singer Not The Song...has only appeared in Mono. No true Stereo recording has ever appeared.

WRONG. It's obvious you don't have No Stone Unturned. No way this version is reprocessed. Too much seperation. The US December's Children stereo version, now that's a fake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-29 17:24 by Carster.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: December 29, 2011 18:03

Indeed I have "No Stone Unturned".

Play it again. The seperation you are hearing is because all the treble frequenze is on the left and all the bass is on the right. All instrumentation are the same in both channels. The track Sad Day does the same trick.

Besides that, if it was in REAL Stereo it would have been in "ping-pong" Stereo. No way they would put vocals, bass and drums in center in 1965.

We have discussed this before, and came to these results:
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: December 29, 2011 19:23

Blueranger is right. No true stereo version of that song exists. On the VGP-307 CD they say "true stereo version" but it is not!

Date: December 29, 2011 23:15

midnrambler
Blueranger is right. No true stereo version of that song exists. On the VGP-307 CD they say "true stereo version" but it is not!

If only you could articulate some arguments of your own you would be of much more value to these pages.

Date: December 29, 2011 23:19

Blueranger
No way they would put vocals, bass and drums in center in 1965.

An intelligent argument. But I still hear two seperate guitar tracks suggesting this is true stereo.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 30, 2011 00:15

In keeping with the whole retro theme of late, I think the Stones should release their next album in reprocessed stereo.

Date: December 30, 2011 13:03

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: December 30, 2011 14:28

I have the original U.K. 45 where it is the B side of Get Off Of My Cloud.Released in October 1965 I believe. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-30 15:06 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: dingq ()
Date: December 30, 2011 16:29

for what it's worth:
it is by far the best "so called" "stereo" version a ever heard

you can download the complete vinyl gang album "bright lights big city" here

[rollingstonesyesterdayspapers.blogspot.com]

so thanks thkbeercan for your input!!!

I have just added the song as "the singer not the song almost stereo" on Soulseek (in flac format) so you can check how it sounds
I also added it as "the rolling stones - the singer not the song almost stereo" in highest vbr mp3 format

enjoy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1399
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home