Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT did you get a bottle of wine for Christmas?
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 29, 2011 17:33

can't wait...love Oregon Pinot Noir

Re: OT did you get a bottle of wine for Christmas?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 29, 2011 17:52

oregon and washington pinots are quickly moving up the ranks for sure. but malbec is the new pinot.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 29, 2011 17:55

I'll stick with my 'Licks' Merlot.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 29, 2011 18:00

NO. I got a bottle of my favorite scotch; Talisker Aged 10 years. Unfortunately I've already knocked down 1/2 of the bottle.That shit is good!!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: December 29, 2011 18:07

StonesTod
oregon and washington pinots are quickly moving up the ranks for sure. but malbec is the new pinot.

a lot of good wine coming from Argentina!

Chile too...have a Carmenere ...its the new Malbec

smiling smiley

Date: December 29, 2011 18:21

anybody get a good box of wine for christmas?

Date: December 29, 2011 18:23

rollmops
NO. I got a bottle of my favorite scotch; Talisker Aged 10 years. Unfortunately I've already knocked down 1/2 of the bottle.That shit is good!!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

talisker is great...have you worked your way thru all the islays? ardbeg, lagavulin and laphroaig...and old, hard to find bottles of port ellens are the best if peatiness is your thang....

Date: December 29, 2011 18:23

treaclefingers

i'll break out my own box of whine after the tour starts....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-29 18:24 by StonesTod.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 29, 2011 18:26

Nothing about French wine,yet ?cool smiley

Date: December 29, 2011 18:26

StonesTod
treaclefingers

That's what we're here for.

Date: December 29, 2011 18:28

SwayStones

i thought we put the myth of "french wine is best" to rest some decades ago.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 29, 2011 18:28

We have more of a tradition to break open a good vintage port in the UK, perhaps a Tawney, which we drink with a good hunk of Stilton cheese and some crackers. In fact I'm just going off to have some now.

Date: December 29, 2011 18:30

StonesTod
SwayStones

Did someone say french whine? smileys with beer

Date: December 29, 2011 18:40

StonesTod
treaclefingers

so the tour IS on...

smiling smiley

Date: December 29, 2011 18:44

SwayStones

one of the greats

Date: December 29, 2011 18:47

duke richardson
StonesTod
treaclefingers

so the tour IS on...

smiling smiley

i think we can force the issue with a thread like this - that way it'll be a tour de force...or something.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 29, 2011 18:51

StonesTod
rollmops
Rock and Roll,
Mops

talisker is great...have you worked your way thru all the islays? ardbeg, lagavulin and laphroaig...and old, hard to find bottles of port ellens are the best if peatiness is your thang....

Now you're speaking my language. Love the Laphroig.

Date: December 29, 2011 18:53

71Tele
StonesTod
rollmops
Rock and Roll,
Mops

i implore you to visit islay someday...just aroma as you sail into port ellen is worth the price of the trip...

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 29, 2011 18:53

Got a Pinot Grigio, which was a present from a so called wine buff...saved it for Boxing Day then ceremoniously opened it, perfectly chilled, even brought out the best wine goblets for the occasion. I built up the tension by telling our friends, who were here for dinner the whole back ground to the acquisition of this fine wine and emphasised the fact it was a present from an 'expert'. Poured it slowly to further build up the tension then invited both guests to take a gulp. They did, and they nooded and mmmmmed and took another slurp, as did my wife and so it was my turn. I held it aloft in a triumphant and took a sip...yuk, it was like cold vinegar, sour, acidic - a huge disappointment. I'm no wine expert, far from it, but, I know a decent wine when I taste one and even cheap wines can be very nice, but this was really bad. Our poor guess still wouldn't appear rude by saying it was bad, but I bet once they had left they laughed about it all the way home.

The big dilemma s what to say to my friend who bought me it...it won't have been cheap, and he will have thought it was a huge success - do I tell t truth or lie?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 29, 2011 18:59

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
rollmops
Rock and Roll,
Mops

i implore you to visit islay someday...just aroma as you sail into port ellen is worth the price of the trip...

I've been to Skye. That's as close as I got. Took the little ferry over there. No distilleries that I can remember though.

Date: December 29, 2011 19:00

71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
rollmops
Rock and Roll,
Mops

I've been to Skye. That's as close as I got. Took the little ferry over there. No distilleries that I can remember though.

they got big ferries with full bars and stuff that run all through the hebrides...talisker is on skye

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: December 29, 2011 19:02

treaclefingers
StonesTod
SwayStones

Did someone say french whine? smileys with beer

Hehe ...
I don't like Red Wine ...Odd /weird for a French ,right ?

Date: December 29, 2011 19:07

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
rollmops
Rock and Roll,
Mops

they got big ferries with full bars and stuff that run all through the hebrides...talisker is on skye

well, did you get a bottle of Scotch for the holidays?

you cats know your single malts...

Date: December 29, 2011 19:14

crumbling_mice
Got a Pinot Grigio, which was a present from a so called wine buff...saved it for Boxing Day then ceremoniously opened it, perfectly chilled, even brought out the best wine goblets for the occasion. I built up the tension by telling our friends, who were here for dinner the whole back ground to the acquisition of this fine wine and emphasised the fact it was a present from an 'expert'. Poured it slowly to further build up the tension then invited both guests to take a gulp. They did, and they nooded and mmmmmed and took another slurp, as did my wife and so it was my turn. I held it aloft in a triumphant and took a sip...yuk, it was like cold vinegar, sour, acidic - a huge disappointment. I'm no wine expert, far from it, but, I know a decent wine when I taste one and even cheap wines can be very nice, but this was really bad. Our poor guess still wouldn't appear rude by saying it was bad, but I bet once they had left they laughed about it all the way home.

The big dilemma s what to say to my friend who bought me it...it won't have been cheap, and he will have thought it was a huge success - do I tell t truth or lie?

sounds like a 'cooked' wine...one stored in heat, or exposed to heat somehow...Pinot Grigio is usually slightly acidic but flavorful...was it from northeast Italy?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 29, 2011 19:22

No No No I got a litre bottle of Jim Beam...perfect if you ask me...

2 1 2 0

Date: December 29, 2011 19:23

duke richardson
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
rollmops
Rock and Roll,
Mops

well, did you get a bottle of Scotch for the holidays?

you cats know your single malts...

i have a bottle of scotch for all days, holi and otherwise...

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 29, 2011 19:27

duke richardson
crumbling_mice

sounds like a 'cooked' wine...one stored in heat, or exposed to heat somehow...Pinot Grigio is usually slightly acidic but flavorful...was it from northeast Italy?

I've bben out to retrieve the bottle, this is what it says;

2008 Domaine Zind Humbrecht Pinot Gris Heimbourg Selection de Grains Nobles

means little to my uncultured brain!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 29, 2011 19:31

I read in Runner's World magazine that the resveratrol in red wine is more potent from the northern latitudes.
I don't remember why that is. It was a couple of years ago I read that article.

For wine drinkers fighting cholesterol, here's your reason to drink more wine, or you could just have a few grapes.

Date: December 29, 2011 19:37

duke richardson
crumbling_mice

Yes, pinot grigio can be magnificent...this sounds quite off.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: December 29, 2011 19:56

Unfortunatly, NOT!!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1588
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home