Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Jagger's guitar playing.
Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: December 25, 2011 21:20

Watching the Some Girls Live in Texas movie, I couldn't stop wondering about Jagger playing the electric guitar. It felt more like he was pointing the thing towards the audience or just holding it rather than playing it. When did Jagger become the 3rd guitarist in the band? And what depht did he add as a guitarist? Songs on the album like Lies, Respectable and When the whip.. are surely based around layers of guitars but wouldn't the songs make a difference without Jagger playing guitar on them? I had a hard time deciding exactly what he was playing, it seemed like he was just strumming some chords from time to time. And sometimes the guitar seemed to be unplugged.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-25 21:22 by DiscoVolante.

Re: Jagger's guitar playing.
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 25, 2011 22:10

DiscoVolante
Watching the Some Girls Live in Texas movie, I couldn't stop wondering about Jagger playing the electric guitar. It felt more like he was pointing the thing towards the audience or just holding it rather than playing it. When did Jagger become the 3rd guitarist in the band? And what depht did he add as a guitarist? Songs on the album like Lies, Respectable and When the whip.. are surely based around layers of guitars but wouldn't the songs make a difference without Jagger playing guitar on them? I had a hard time deciding exactly what he was playing, it seemed like he was just strumming some chords from time to time. And sometimes the guitar seemed to be unplugged.

Please listen to "Sway" and "Stop Breaking Down".

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 25, 2011 22:24

On the Some Girls DVD you can hear his playing well on "Just My Imagination" and "Miss You" during the quieter parts.

His guitar playing has stayed pretty consistent throughout the years. Mick never took playing guitar on stage very seriously and it shows. He does his own thing they way he wants. Some enjoy his work on the guitar, and at times yes it does work great "Sway" in particular. I find his playing a little rigid on electric; "Rain Fall Down" and "Some Girls" (specifically from the "Shine A Light" film).

But at the end of the day, Keith is our groove so it doesn't matter so much that Mick comes from a different angle, guitar-wise. So it's a great combination.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: December 26, 2011 00:45

The Brown Sugar riff is his.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: December 26, 2011 00:53

punkfloyd

But he didn't play it.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: December 26, 2011 11:40

maybe he is playing cause the guitarplayers have stopped playing ?? maybe not exsactly stopped, but they ar not as energetic as they used to be.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: December 26, 2011 12:34

Justin
I find his playing a little rigid on electric

So do I.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: December 26, 2011 16:47

Jagger's actually a better player than most people realize, although you could never hear him too well until more recent tours. Sure, he can't play leads but he plays some pretty good slide on back of My Hand, etc.

Date: December 26, 2011 20:41

nonfilter
punkfloyd

But he didn't play it.

[www.non-filters.com]

Based on what I've noticed over the years about Mick's guitar playing, he certainly played it to/for Keith most likely almost exactly as it is on the record.

We need a thread that lists the songs Mick plays electric guitar on, acoustic guitar on. And maybe other instruments as well. He's on a good number of songs. Playing guitar I mean ha ha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-26 20:42 by WeLoveToPlayTheBlues.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 26, 2011 20:44

stonesdan60
Jagger's actually a better player than most people realize

he's certainly a lot better than i realize; i think he's pretty bad.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 26, 2011 20:54

stonesdan60
Jagger's actually a better player than most people realize, although you could never hear him too well until more recent tours. Sure, he can't play leads but he plays some pretty good slide on back of My Hand, etc.

I was actually startled by how good he sounded on Back of My Hand. Low expectations aside, I was amazed.

Date: December 26, 2011 20:55

treaclefingers
stonesdan60

I was actually startled by how good he sounded on Back of My Hand. Low expectations aside, I was amazed.

really? pretty simple slide stuff if you ask me. but, you didn't.

Date: December 26, 2011 20:57

StonesTod
treaclefingers
stonesdan60

He's better than me.

Date: December 26, 2011 20:58

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
stonesdan60

He's better than me.

high praise indeed, i'm sure...

Date: December 26, 2011 20:59

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
stonesdan60

He's better than me.

But he plays with feel...or is that the other one?

Date: December 26, 2011 21:03

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
stonesdan60

He's better than me.

i play with feel, too...and i, too, suck. luckily we're both excellent vocalists...well, except for me...

Date: December 26, 2011 21:07

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
stonesdan60

He's better than me.

i play with feel, too...and i, too, suck. luckily we're both excellent vocalists...well, except for me...

...and him

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 26, 2011 22:51

StonesTod
treaclefingers
stonesdan60

Playing simple things and sounding good are not the same.

Date: December 26, 2011 23:01

Koen
StonesTod
treaclefingers
stonesdan60

Playing simple things and sounding good are not the same.

true...i sound good, too.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 26, 2011 23:26

Generally speaking, it's harder to play simple things really well than it is complicated things because the mind tends to go in to a some what automatic mode when we play simple things. The ease of something is of course relative to the players technical ability. Ie what is simple to one player might be complicated for another etc.

The best musicians, IMO, are those that have the same level of concentration and emotional engagement to the basics as they do the fancy stuff. To me, that is exactly what Brian Jones, in his best moments, did. smiling smiley

Jagger sounds great on guitar when he is concentrating on playing it and also is emotionally engaged with the music being played. At his best, his guitar playing is a perfect partner for his vocals.

Date: December 26, 2011 23:30

His Majesty
Generally speaking, it's harder to play simple things really well than it is complicated things because the mind tends to go in to a some what automatic mode when we play simple things. The ease of something is of course relative to the players technical ability. Ie what is simple to one player might be complicated for another etc.

The best musicians, IMO, are those that have the same level of concentration and emotional engagement to the basics as they do the fancy stuff. To me, that is exactly what Brian Jones, in his best moments, did. smiling smiley

Jagger sounds great on guitar when he is concentrating on playing it and also is emotionally engaged with the music being played. At his best, his guitar playing is a perfect partner for his vocals.

you kinda ruined the whole enjoyment of rock'nroll in just a single post. thanks alot.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 27, 2011 01:05

treaclefingers

And that's the thing that some people miss. Its not about technique - he's a songwriter, vocalist first, but he's inherently a musician. You can hear Keith's influence in his playing...
People seem to think because he's the guy dancing around on stage, or isn't known as a musician's musician like Keith, that his playing is rudimentary. My friend thinks that, but then again, my friend is not a musician, so his definition of a musician is more rigid. Most musicians, I think, can appreciate someone with a feel. What seems basic to non-musicians, as Back of My Hand, is pure feel - and you can't teach that - you either have it or don't. That's makes him a pure musician, period.
As for his contribution to Some Girls - it wouldn't have that raucous, ramshackle rawness without Jagger. It was a joke at the time about how Mick would often play too fast, or not consistently -
Elvis was like that - you watch those old clips with the three-piece (Scotty Moore, Black) and Elvis just seems to be playing in his own world, to his own voice, rhythm the others have to try and keep up. It wasn't always neat and pretty, but it was funky and raw. That's what Jagger has.
Its not perfect, but its genuine.
And I don't think Jagger concentrated too hard on being a master guitarist, he didn't need to. He played to write, to lay down a groove.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-27 01:10 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 27, 2011 01:14

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
stonesdan60

He's better than me.

...and him

these days anyway...

Date: December 27, 2011 01:15

Listen to Elvis' accoustic in this song - all over the place, he changes too soon etc....
I used to play with a guy like this and it drove me crazy, but he was a demon performer - he just got caught up in the music.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: December 27, 2011 01:21

StonesTod
treaclefingers
stonesdan60

As a guitarist myself, I have more respect for someone who can play simple stuff with feeling than for someone techically great who can play - as Frank Zappa once said - "clouds of gnat notes that don't move the listener." Thus I've gained great respect for Jagger's playing over the years. Just as I would rather hear Keith's simple riffs with soul than somebody who can "shred." Even keith - fighting aside - has praised Jagger's chordal work. I am of the firm conviction that you could take a guitarist who knows all Keith's licks, take keith's guitar off the man himself, with the same amp settings, etc, and another player could play exactly what Keith plays, but it won't sound like Keith. There's a factor X there. How does a player put the FEEL across? It's more than technical knowledge. As for Mick, I've noticed that he often uses open tunings and plays in a way that's clearly Keith influenced. I was impressed when I saw the Biggest Bang video to realize that the funky opening guitar part in Rain Fall Down is Mick. Another perspective. A classically trained piano player I know was once telling me about a piano player he heard in a blues bar one night. The trained player could play anything Beethoven or Chopin ever wrote, mind you. But here's what he said: "Man, this dude could play NOTHING but blues in the key of C. But I would give my last dollar to be able to play the blues in C with the soul and feeling this guy put across." That, my friends, is what it's all about to me. Personally, I'm one of those guys that can play pretty much anything keith ever laid down. But not for a second do I decieve myself thinking I could pluck that simple open G riff to Honky Tonk Women and fool people that they were hearing the real Keith Richards. Factor X. Having diverged from the topic, I think Mick is pretty damn good at what he does on guitar, not to mention being pretty good on piano and excellent on harp. Keith also praises Mick's bass playing, which he didn't do much of before A Bigger Bang. Keith says that as a guitarist or bassist, Mick has " a wicked sense of the beat and the back beat." If you care to read the liner notes and check out the tunes Mick plays bass on, he does have a pretty wicked groove.

Date: December 27, 2011 01:22

I was really excited when I saw this post thinking it would yield some insight into his playing, something I've always been amazed at and wonders about. Seems noboday has any material of him playing guitar solo. Didin't I see him pick one up during an interview (2000's) and belt a short one out?

I am no expert but I suspect his guitar playing is damn good! He has been playing for over 30 years and has had some pretty damn good teachers! I think he probably underplays it out of respect for his fellow bandmates. He's always around some of the best players in the world, it's easy to take the very back seat in those cases. As a guitar player I have analyzed his finger positions on the fretboard and he does some advanced techniques regularly (like playing the bass note of the chord with his thumb over the top of the fretboard on the low E string).

Like I've said many times on this board, the best ticket of the future will be a solo Jagger show. Just him and his guitars and a piano, showing us how he comes up with the great songs like brown sugar and Sway and Moonlight Mile and many other. I'm camping out if necessary for that one. peace.

Date: December 27, 2011 01:25

stonesdan60
StonesTod
treaclefingers
stonesdan60

As a guitarist myself, I have more respect for someone who can play simple stuff with feeling than for someone techically great who can play - as Frank Zappa once said - "clouds of gnat notes that don't move the listener." Thus I've gained great respect for Jagger's playing over the years. Just as I would rather hear Keith's simple riffs with soul than somebody who can "shred." Even keith - fighting aside - has praised Jagger's chordal work. I am of the firm conviction that you could take a guitarist who knows all Keith's licks, take keith's guitar off the man himself, with the same amp settings, etc, and another player could play exactly what Keith plays, but it won't sound like Keith. There's a factor X there. How does a player put the FEEL across? It's more than technical knowledge. As for Mick, I've noticed that he often uses open tunings and plays in a way that's clearly Keith influenced. I was impressed when I saw the Biggest Bang video to realize that the funky opening guitar part in Rain Fall Down is Mick. Another perspective. A classically trained piano player I know was once telling me about a piano player he heard in a blues bar one night. The trained player could play anything Beethoven or Chopin ever wrote, mind you. But here's what he said: "Man, this dude could play NOTHING but blues in the key of C. But I would give my last dollar to be able to play the blues in C with the soul and feeling this guy put across." That, my friends, is what it's all about to me. Personally, I'm one of those guys that can play pretty much anything keith ever laid down. But not for a second do I decieve myself thinking I could pluck that simple open G riff to Honky Tonk Women and fool people that they were hearing the real Keith Richards. Factor X. Having diverged from the topic, I think Mick is pretty damn good at what he does on guitar, not to mention being pretty good on piano and excellent on harp. Keith also praises Mick's bass playing, which he didn't do much of before A Bigger Bang. Keith says that as a guitarist or bassist, Mick has " a wicked sense of the beat and the back beat." If you care to read the liner notes and check out the tunes Mick plays bass on, he does have a pretty wicked groove.

Excellent post.
That says it all. Feel is hard to explain, define.... and you did it perfectly.
And yes, Jagger's piano-playing is another underrated thing.
Talk about feel, that scene in CS Blues where Jagger is playing those gorgeous minor 7 chords, closing his eyes and swaying to the music... and Keith is playing that boogie woogie riff but it seems awkward. I think Jagger is more natural on piano,

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-27 01:28 by stupidguy2.

Date: December 27, 2011 01:32

Naturalust
I was really excited when I saw this post thinking it would yield some insight into his playing, something I've always been amazed at and wonders about. Seems noboday has any material of him playing guitar solo. Didin't I see him pick one up during an interview (2000's) and belt a short one out?

I am no expert but I suspect his guitar playing is damn good! He has been playing for over 30 years and has had some pretty damn good teachers! I think he probably underplays it out of respect for his fellow bandmates. He's always around some of the best players in the world, it's easy to take the very back seat in those cases. As a guitar player I have analyzed his finger positions on the fretboard and he does some advanced techniques regularly (like playing the bass note of the chord with his thumb over the top of the fretboard on the low E string).

Funny what you call 'advanced techniques' when I call it 'just playing with my thumb'.

Don't know of a Jagger guitar solo - unless you want to consider the slide he plays in This Place Is Empty as a solo.

You do like Sad Sad Sad don't ya? It's very cubicle but it's solid. That song is very cinder block formed. It's almost like Brown Sugar in reverse, or a distant relative to Brown Sugar. Has all the same chords in it etc.

Hearts For Sale - that's him on the wah-wah in the intro. Then you have Highwire...I Go Wild... a few others.

But yes, no solos. He's never come off as one that would play solos. That's what those guitar players are for...at least they were.

Date: December 27, 2011 01:52

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Funny what you call 'advanced techniques' when I call it 'just playing with my thumb'.

Don't know of a Jagger guitar solo - unless you want to consider the slide he plays in This Place Is Empty as a solo.

You do like Sad Sad Sad don't ya? It's very cubicle but it's solid. That song is very cinder block formed. It's almost like Brown Sugar in reverse, or a distant relative to Brown Sugar. Has all the same chords in it etc.

Hearts For Sale - that's him on the wah-wah in the intro. Then you have Highwire...I Go Wild... a few others.
quote]

yeah but Micks fingers and hand are probably 1/2 the size of yours! lol

Thanks for the Jagger guitar tunes, Ill check em out more closely now...peace.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 27, 2011 02:05

I think Mick's a pretty good instinctive blues player...

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="

?version=3&amp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-27 02:06 by 71Tele.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2291
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home