Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Jagger's guitar playing.
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 27, 2011 02:17

i give up. mick jagger is god's gift to guitar playing. was there ever any doubt?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 27, 2011 02:54

StonesTod

you kinda ruined the whole enjoyment of rock'nroll in just a single post. thanks alot.

If that's all it took to ruin it, you musn't have been enjoying it all that much before hand. >grinning smiley<

Date: December 27, 2011 02:56

His Majesty
StonesTod

you kinda ruined the whole enjoyment of rock'nroll in just a single post. thanks alot.

If that's all it took to ruin it, you musn't have been enjoying it all that much before hand. >grinning smiley<

yeah...i was at the tipping point...back to my beloved jazz now....

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: December 27, 2011 03:41

Naturalust
I was really excited when I saw this post thinking it would yield some insight into his playing, something I've always been amazed at and wonders about. Seems noboday has any material of him playing guitar solo. Didin't I see him pick one up during an interview (2000's) and belt a short one out?

I am no expert but I suspect his guitar playing is damn good! He has been playing for over 30 years and has had some pretty damn good teachers! I think he probably underplays it out of respect for his fellow bandmates. He's always around some of the best players in the world, it's easy to take the very back seat in those cases. As a guitar player I have analyzed his finger positions on the fretboard and he does some advanced techniques regularly (like playing the bass note of the chord with his thumb over the top of the fretboard on the low E string).

Like I've said many times on this board, the best ticket of the future will be a solo Jagger show. Just him and his guitars and a piano, showing us how he comes up with the great songs like brown sugar and Sway and Moonlight Mile and many other. I'm camping out if necessary for that one. peace.

Interesting concept and one that I've never considered for Jagger. Kind of like the Jackson Browne solo shows? I guess I never thought of Mick as being that talented with musical instruments to pull that kind of solo show off. I think you have to be very talented and also have a lot of confidence in your musical abilities to attempt it. There is no band to hide behind or to take the casual break.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 27, 2011 03:43

StonesTod
i give up. mick jagger is god's gift to guitar playing. was there ever any doubt?

Never!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 27, 2011 05:26

StonesTod
His Majesty
StonesTod

On the bright side, I did pick up a remastered "Kind of Blue" just before Christmas!

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: December 27, 2011 09:56

stupidguy2
stonesdan60
StonesTod
treaclefingers
stonesdan60
Jagger's actually a better player than most people realize, although you could never hear him too well until more recent tours. Sure, he can't play leads but he plays some pretty good slide on back of My Hand, etc.

I was actually startled by how good he sounded on Back of My Hand. Low expectations aside, I was amazed.

really? pretty simple slide stuff if you ask me. but, you didn't.

As a guitarist myself, I have more respect for someone who can play simple stuff with feeling than for someone techically great who can play - as Frank Zappa once said - "clouds of gnat notes that don't move the listener." Thus I've gained great respect for Jagger's playing over the years. Just as I would rather hear Keith's simple riffs with soul than somebody who can "shred." Even keith - fighting aside - has praised Jagger's chordal work. I am of the firm conviction that you could take a guitarist who knows all Keith's licks, take keith's guitar off the man himself, with the same amp settings, etc, and another player could play exactly what Keith plays, but it won't sound like Keith. There's a factor X there. How does a player put the FEEL across? It's more than technical knowledge. As for Mick, I've noticed that he often uses open tunings and plays in a way that's clearly Keith influenced. I was impressed when I saw the Biggest Bang video to realize that the funky opening guitar part in Rain Fall Down is Mick. Another perspective. A classically trained piano player I know was once telling me about a piano player he heard in a blues bar one night. The trained player could play anything Beethoven or Chopin ever wrote, mind you. But here's what he said: "Man, this dude could play NOTHING but blues in the key of C. But I would give my last dollar to be able to play the blues in C with the soul and feeling this guy put across." That, my friends, is what it's all about to me. Personally, I'm one of those guys that can play pretty much anything keith ever laid down. But not for a second do I decieve myself thinking I could pluck that simple open G riff to Honky Tonk Women and fool people that they were hearing the real Keith Richards. Factor X. Having diverged from the topic, I think Mick is pretty damn good at what he does on guitar, not to mention being pretty good on piano and excellent on harp. Keith also praises Mick's bass playing, which he didn't do much of before A Bigger Bang. Keith says that as a guitarist or bassist, Mick has " a wicked sense of the beat and the back beat." If you care to read the liner notes and check out the tunes Mick plays bass on, he does have a pretty wicked groove.

Excellent post.
That says it all. Feel is hard to explain, define.... and you did it perfectly.
And yes, Jagger's piano-playing is another underrated thing.
Talk about feel, that scene in CS Blues where Jagger is playing those gorgeous minor 7 chords, closing his eyes and swaying to the music... and Keith is playing that boogie woogie riff but it seems awkward. I think Jagger is more natural on piano,

Thanks for the affirmation. Yeah- FEEL. How one puts it across is impossible to define but so essential. It has to do with how much heart and soul the musician has within to express. When someone like Keith plays, his very soul just comes through the amps. I've seen so many bar bands cover the Stones and in some cases the guitar player would even have enough sense to use a similar telecaster in open tuning and play the chords the same way Keith does but something was missing. It usually lacked something...FEELING...and SOUL. I'm friends with a lot of musicians and we love to jam out Stones tunes. I remember this one guy, Mark, taking great pains to learn a Keith solo note for note until he had it down flat. One day, in mid-jam one of my fellow players stopped the song and said, "Mark - just stop trying to copy Keith. It's like...you got the NOTES but you don't got the BALLS." It was hilarious, and so true.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 27, 2011 10:02

I've never payed just a whole lot of attention to his playing. It seems like in older films like LSTNT and Texas '78 that the guitar is more of a prop, and whatever it is he is playing, is not really necessary since Keith and Ronnie probably had it covered. I really tried to pay attention to Texas '78 when he would actually play it, and I couldn't make out what (if anything) he was adding to the song.

In my mind Mick doesn't have to do anything else except sing, if he wants to play guitar it's fine and the crowds will humor him, but I don't know if it is really needed. He does so much work as a front man that I don't feel he really needs to prove anything by picking up the guitar. He's not the worst guitar player though, but he's pretty underwhelming in comparison to Ronnie and Keith.

And somebody threw out Sway as an example of MJ's great guitar playing. Unless I'm missing something and Jagger is playing the guitar solos instead of Taylor, I'm not all that impressed. The rhythm guitar is extremely simple, it's just Open G and each chord is just barring straight across the fret and sometimes adding those two extra notes in that common Stones chord shape.

Date: December 27, 2011 15:18

treaclefingers
StonesTod
His Majesty
StonesTod

On the bright side, I did pick up a remastered "Kind of Blue" just before Christmas!

oh? just starting into jazz now? if so...you have a long, wondrous journey that awaits you. if not...you've had a long, wondrous journey behind you...or something.

Date: December 27, 2011 15:21

NoCode0680
I've never payed just a whole lot of attention to his playing. It seems like in older films like LSTNT and Texas '78 that the guitar is more of a prop, and whatever it is he is playing, is not really necessary since Keith and Ronnie probably had it covered. I really tried to pay attention to Texas '78 when he would actually play it, and I couldn't make out what (if anything) he was adding to the song.

In my mind Mick doesn't have to do anything else except sing, if he wants to play guitar it's fine and the crowds will humor him, but I don't know if it is really needed. He does so much work as a front man that I don't feel he really needs to prove anything by picking up the guitar. He's not the worst guitar player though, but he's pretty underwhelming in comparison to Ronnie and Keith.

And somebody threw out Sway as an example of MJ's great guitar playing. Unless I'm missing something and Jagger is playing the guitar solos instead of Taylor, I'm not all that impressed. The rhythm guitar is extremely simple, it's just Open G and each chord is just barring straight across the fret and sometimes adding those two extra notes in that common Stones chord shape.

what he said...to which i'll add: anything that jagger has played on guitar could be done better by any of the other guitarists the band has employed...including wyman...yes, god gave him everything except much talent as a guitarist....now, enough of this jibberish....

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 27, 2011 17:15

71Tele
StonesTod

Never!

He could probably give you a run for your money Tele, don't be so sure. Thanks for the reference to his BASS playing too StonesDan60! I was beat up pretty bad on this board for suggesting that he could pull off those duties for the 2012 Stones. Funny you mention that even Keith complements his work on that instrument. And yes Jagger has the presence and the ego and the talent to perform a Jackson Browne type solo show, just him and the instruments and a microphone. If we are lucky this life and my dreams come true we will find out just how well he can do this in the next 2 or 3 years! peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-27 17:27 by Naturalust.

Date: December 27, 2011 18:00

Naturalust
71Tele
StonesTod

Never!

He could probably give you a run for your money Tele, don't be so sure. Thanks for the reference to his BASS playing too StonesDan60! I was beat up pretty bad on this board for suggesting that he could pull off those duties for the 2012 Stones. Funny you mention that even Keith complements his work on that instrument. And yes Jagger has the presence and the ego and the talent to perform a Jackson Browne type solo show, just him and the instruments and a microphone. If we are lucky this life and my dreams come true we will find out just how well he can do this in the next 2 or 3 years! peace.

Maybe you misunderstood me. I love Jagger's guitar playing.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 27, 2011 18:23

71Tele
Naturalust
71Tele
StonesTod

Never!

Maybe you misunderstood me. I love Jagger's guitar playing.

I did. sorry Tele! We are together on this one. peace.

Date: December 27, 2011 18:54

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
His Majesty
StonesTod

oh? just starting into jazz now? if so...you have a long, wondrous journey that awaits you. if not...you've had a long, wondrous journey behind you...or something.

A bit of both really...I've got a number of jazz albums and cds, but I wouldn't say I've put the required time in. It gets under your skin though.

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 27, 2011 18:57

DiscoVolante
Watching the Some Girls Live in Texas movie, I couldn't stop wondering about Jagger playing the electric guitar. It felt more like he was pointing the thing towards the audience or just holding it rather than playing it. When did Jagger become the 3rd guitarist in the band? And what depht did he add as a guitarist? Songs on the album like Lies, Respectable and When the whip.. are surely based around layers of guitars but wouldn't the songs make a difference without Jagger playing guitar on them? I had a hard time deciding exactly what he was playing, it seemed like he was just strumming some chords from time to time. And sometimes the guitar seemed to be unplugged.

Mick's guitar playing provides the extra drive for the SOME GIRLS tracks. I came away far more impressed with his guitar contributions than I ever had been before.

Date: December 27, 2011 18:58

I see jagger playing that guitar only for the sake of the song. I.e. to write it, maybe come up with a specific riff idea. The studio cuts he plays guitar on might be out of necessity. Maybe Keith didn't show up in early days. in 78 he used it to make his point on speed, sound and punk feel. On ABB he used it because he wanted the damn album done quick and cheap. The times he plays guitar on stage are rpobably just another slant on photo ops, and pacing of the show. A song where Jagger plays guitar means 'blue collar workhorse tune at # 6 slot'.
Jagger IMO is the ultimate pragmatist.
That is why it is so special when he plays harp; or when he actually does lose himself in the song.

Date: December 27, 2011 19:03

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
His Majesty
StonesTod

A bit of both really...I've got a number of jazz albums and cds, but I wouldn't say I've put the required time in. It gets under your skin though.

well, one is a number, too. i've got a number of them, too. i'll get my abacus out in a bit and see if i can figure out the exact figure.

seems i'm almost never in a rock mood anymore...but almost always in a jazz mood. something about getting older and cooler or something....

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: December 27, 2011 19:14

Of course it's been said, but songs like "Sway" and "Stop Breaking Down" are fine testaments to his ability as a solid rhythm player. His acoustic playing as always been strong as well, and I think his contributions both on guitar and bass on A Bigger Bang were very solid.

I love the hypocricy in Keith's statement: "There's only 2 guitar players in the Stones, and you ain't one of 'em pal." Funny, didn't seem to stop him from letting Blondie join in.

Date: December 27, 2011 19:21

theimposter
Of course it's been said, but songs like "Sway" and "Stop Breaking Down" are fine testaments to his ability as a solid rhythm player. His acoustic playing as always been strong as well, and I think his contributions both on guitar and bass on A Bigger Bang were very solid.

I love the hypocricy in Keith's statement: "There's only 2 guitar players in the Stones, and you ain't one of 'em pal." Funny, didn't seem to stop him from letting Blondie join in.

Typical Keith BS. Stop Breaking Down is great. For years I thought it was Keith. Mr. Jagger does a pretty good 5-string open-G, as he showed on that tune and Sway.

Date: December 27, 2011 19:24

71Tele
theimposter

Typical Keith BS. Stop Breaking Down is great. For years I thought it was Keith. Mr. Jagger does a pretty good 5-string open-G, as he showed on that tune and Sway.

doesn't he even realize there's a sixth string???? omg!

Date: December 27, 2011 20:29

71Tele
theimposter

Also, I thought Mick's slide playing on "This Place is Empty" and "Back of My Hand" on the ABB was better than Ronnie's playing on either of them live.

Date: December 27, 2011 20:34

theimposter
71Tele
theimposter

Also, I thought Mick's slide playing on "This Place is Empty" and "Back of My Hand" on the ABB was better than Ronnie's playing on either of them live.

sigh. ok, whatever. they are both lame tunes, though, so that should count against mick...or something.

c'mon "mick guitar" bashers...help me here...i know you're out there and we need help quelching this idea that mick can swing the axe....

Date: December 27, 2011 20:56

StonesTod
theimposter
71Tele
theimposter

sigh. ok, whatever. they are both lame tunes, though, so that should count against mick...or something.

c'mon "mick guitar" bashers...help me here...i know you're out there and we need help quelching this idea that mick can swing the axe....

It doesn't occur to you that you might just be wrong about this? No, I suppose it doesn't.

Date: December 27, 2011 21:11

71Tele
StonesTod
theimposter
71Tele
theimposter

It doesn't occur to you that you might just be wrong about this? No, I suppose it doesn't.

i guess there's a first time for everything. what does that feel like, tele??

Date: December 27, 2011 21:42

i think we can all agree that Jagger is a fine guitar player. Except for those that do not agree.

In other news, aren't we a day or so overdue for another "Next year Stones will release the greatest album in the history of recorded sound and Macca has checked into a hospital for mental health due to a nervous breakdown from fear the Stones 50th anniversary tour will be SO GREAT it will make people literally forget the Beatles ever existed" thread?

Date: December 27, 2011 21:44

theimposter
i think we can all agree that Jagger is a fine guitar player. Except for those that do not agree.

and what about all the others?

Date: December 27, 2011 21:52

StonesTod
theimposter

and what about all the others?

They agree that Keith is a good guitar player...or something.

Date: December 27, 2011 22:14

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod
theimposter
71Tele
theimposter

i guess there's a first time for everything. what does that feel like, tele??

Feels fine...I was just messing with you.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: December 27, 2011 22:18

Mick Jagger is a musician and some musicians play guitar.
Is he an exceptional talent? No.
He's just a singer that knows how to play guitar.

Date: December 27, 2011 22:31

GumbootCloggeroo
Mick Jagger is a musician and some musicians play guitar.
Is he an exceptional talent? No.
He's just a singer that knows how to play guitar.

We don't like reasonable and fair argument around here. Take that twaddle somewhere else.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1612
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home