Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: What a drag it is getting old...not
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 23, 2018 17:53

A take on getting old in the rock/pop music biz. Stones lead off the parade.

[www.theguardian.com]

Re: OT: What a drag it is getting old...not
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 23, 2018 19:39

Interesting:

"Jagger/Skepta collaboration – a record that did neither of them any favours, precisely because it sounded as if the latter had been parachuted in
without much thought as to what a Jagger track with a grime MC on it might sound like"

In contrast:

"Dylan’s career was reignited by the release of Time Out of Mind, an album that, as one critic put it, “transformed Dylan from seemingly obsolete icon to wise, wizened old visionary almost overnight”,
because it explicitly dealt with the topics of ageing and mortality".

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 24, 2018 07:43

Mick has just got to realize that no matter how much he loves and understands club music,hip hop and all the rest,absolutely no one wants to hear him play it.
He just can’t get it through his head and he’s probably surrounded by sycophants who tell him what he’s playing is good, it’s not.

It’s as if because he can go into nightclubs around the world and dance,party and fit in that somehow makes him like Kendrick Lamar,Drake or Kanye West,it doesn’t.
He’s a rich celebrity and not anywhere near being a hip musician that people want to hear what he has to say,they really don’t.

When he sang Angie, Wild Horses or even Miss You there was real feeling in his delivery.now he just recites lyrics,it comes off as hollow bullshit.
I mean cmon, the love of your life died,you’re 75 years old on the road again,your contemporaries are mostly gone,you have a new child...and you write lyrics about some nonsense,mumbling about a soccer game or politics or who knows wtf..
I gotta side with Keith this time,play something real,Something Stonesy or just forget it.

Date: August 24, 2018 10:11

lem motlow
Mick has just got to realize that no matter how much he loves and understands club music,hip hop and all the rest,absolutely no one wants to hear him play it.
He just can’t get it through his head and he’s probably surrounded by sycophants who tell him what he’s playing is good, it’s not.

It’s as if because he can go into nightclubs around the world and dance,party and fit in that somehow makes him like Kendrick Lamar,Drake or Kanye West,it doesn’t.
He’s a rich celebrity and not anywhere near being a hip musician that people want to hear what he has to say,they really don’t.

When he sang Angie, Wild Horses or even Miss You there was real feeling in his delivery.now he just recites lyrics,it comes off as hollow bullshit.
I mean cmon, the love of your life died,you’re 75 years old on the road again,your contemporaries are mostly gone,you have a new child...and you write lyrics about some nonsense,mumbling about a soccer game or politics or who knows wtf..
I gotta side with Keith this time,play something real,Something Stonesy or just forget it.

I whole-heartedly agree with this.

However, Mick should still make club music, inspired by the 70s, imo. He's really good at that (and I remember him saying in a RS-interview that that kind of music is his favourite music).

He should steer clear of the sterile sound of the 90s that he tried on England Lost / Gotta Get A Grip.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 24, 2018 11:27

No, it is a drag getting old... unless you have so much money and are insulated by fame and people constantly around you who are so affected by it that you thankfully fail to notice.

But what if, for example in that article, Macca wasn't the cherished museum piece that he is...

Suppose John Lennon had walked out on the Beatles -- forever -- that day producer George Martin suggested they record that pop song How Do You Do It instead of their first #1 Please Please Me.

If John Lennon had left the Beatles in 1962: [www.youtube.com]

And if Lennon had done that, no ALO to leave as Beatles publicist to discover the Stones...

...which means Jagger would have used his London business schooling, and today would likely not be embracing all this new current flavor of the month whatever -- because who would notice or care? Who would congratulate him for it?

It's all fame, and whatever.

These guys think they're bigger than what they are, what made them famous to begin with; that they escape old age because for a few years the world was screaming for what they did, what they represented for those doing all the screaming.

Mick Jagger needs an Ian Stewart to call him a "shower of shit" or part of his "three-chord wonders" or a producer like Glyn Johns, from the Stones' early club days, to tell him what's what.

That's the trouble with these cultural icons, they outlive their contemporaries, so that there's no one around from their old days to keep them grounded.

Look at Paul McCartney -- in half a century, he went from Hey Jude to Fuh You.

They forget what made them great.

It wasn't entirely them.

It was the times.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1739
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home