Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT - Your Guitar
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 16, 2011 19:28

Rock and Roll

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-18 04:27 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: ricardosanchez ()
Date: December 16, 2011 20:33

Thank you VERY VERY MUCH for the support!!!

I know it will be hard, but I never give up easily.

I've been doing some exercices everyday get my fingers "in shape"! But it's really hard at the begining. i'm 27 years old now, always wanted to play but never had courage to start.

And yes, I bought an eletronic tuner, it's really a modern miracle!

I has very happy when I played the intro of Satisfaction and Smoke on The Water... that's all I know for now! Hahaha!

Regards from Brazil!

Ricardo.

Max'sKansasCity
ricardosanchez
Bought this two weeks ago. Never played before and I just started to learn the basics by the internet.

NICE!!! A new player smiling smiley

Remember, you have to get your fingers and finger tips "in shape" and used to playing. There are a 1000 different methods to learn how to play, I suggest you try them ALL and whichever keeps you playing, do that.... and dont let anyone disudae you.

Dont keep your new baby locked in a box, keep her out, on a stand (you may have to buy on) [www.musiciansfriend.com] and plugged in so you can grab her ALL THE TIME and start playing.... esp if you watch some TV, keep her by the TV.,..pick her up and play her.

Learn how to use "TABS" which show you which string and fret to pluck to play a song..... find your favorite licks and play them.... it is awesome. Learn how to play Happy Birthday... and Jingle Bells and other easy fun songs....

Dont worry about becoming an expert in 2 weeks, you have your whole life to get there... just keep playing... there are many more tips out there.... read em all use the good one, drop the and ones...

Maybe buy a couple of beginner DVDs on how to play..... they can be useful...and you can watch them over and over and over..... beginned guides will show you the basics.......

And last but not least, your guiatar needs to be properly set up... did you buy an electronic tuner? If not, [www.musiciansfriend.com] you should... they are a modern miracle. Did you know that on a properly set up guitar that a note played holding down on the 12th fret of a string is the same note (an octave higher) as a note played on that string open(not holding down on any fret)....if it is not.... then you need to pay$10-30 bucks to have your local guiatar shop set up you guitar.,,, maybe the people you bought it from will do it for free...

KEEP ON KEEPING ON...

Date: December 16, 2011 20:40

I has very happy when I played the intro of Satisfaction and Smoke on The Water... that's all I know for now!

THAT is what it is all about.... imuhsmiling smiley.

Yup, I was older when I started too. I always thought one had to have big hands to play guitar, but one time we were visiting a guitar store in LA, and they had a big display with hand imprints of a lot of famous guitar players.... and with the exception of a couple, my hands were the same, or bigger... so I said what the heck, I can do this... and now I have another habit.

Do you know about "tabs"? if not figure them out...

You can find most any song "tabbed" online (although some are of no use at all)(keep looking until you find one that actually work).

Keep going... and have fun ..cuz fun is a good thing to have

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-16 20:43 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: December 16, 2011 20:42

I have been told many times a guitar stand is your guitars worst enemy
Most of the neck/ headstock breaks come from falling off the stand.
Keeping it in your case is a better idea.

Date: December 16, 2011 20:45

M4000D
I have been told many times a guitar stand is your guitars worst enemy
Most of the neck/ headstock breaks come from falling off the stand.
Keeping it in your case is a better idea.

I have been using guitars stands for years...
and so far nothing like that has happened... just keep kids, maniacs away.

Date: December 16, 2011 20:54

Right but the fact that most breaks come from falling off stands is what I am trying to point out. I never trusted a stand with my les Paul on it, no way.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 16, 2011 21:17

71Tele
Here's my current favorite...

I want it ...fancy doing a trade on 1972 Tele deluxe >grinning smiley<

Date: December 16, 2011 21:30

M4000D
Right but the fact that most breaks come from falling off stands is what I am trying to point out. I never trusted a stand with my les Paul on it, no way.
Guitars are actually pretty sturdy, they are not pieces of fragile glass. For a new player it is important to play a lot, so best NOT to keep it hidden away in a box... outta sight outta mind

Best to have her out and ready to go... just flip the switch and away you go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-16 21:33 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: johnnyjolene ()
Date: December 16, 2011 21:59

that's me with mine Fender 1972 Custom Telecaster (Japan '97) and you can also see my Squier 50's classic vibe Telecaster. Here's our band's page. Jolene

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 16, 2011 22:40

M4000D

About all breaks occur when guitars are rested against amps and especially walls in rehearsal rooms or on stages. Stands are actually quite safe, in 20 years time I never had or heard about a guitar falling out of a stand.

Mathijs

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 16, 2011 22:51

Max'sKansasCity
Guitars are actually pretty sturdy, they are not pieces of fragile glass.
Not glass no but If a Gibson and a Fender were to fall over the Gibson's head stock would very likely break, especially if it is a heavy guitar like a Les Paul. A Fender on the other hand could fall all day and just get a ding or two...

Date: December 16, 2011 23:36

ChrisM
Max'sKansasCity
Not glass no but If a Gibson and a Fender were to fall over the Gibson's head stock would very likely break, especially if it is a heavy guitar like a Les Paul. A Fender on the other hand could fall all day and just get a ding or two...
.... and the moral is?

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 16, 2011 23:37

Max'sKansasCity

Some guitars are sturdier than others.

Fenders are normally built like tanks because the neck is all one piece.

Gibsons and Epiphones are mostly two piece necks and tend to be a bit weaker at the nut where the angle join is.

I would never worry about dropping a Fender as much as a Gibson. I do prefer Gibsons though.

All my guitars are on stands, the ones with the bar across to stop them falling out.

Date: December 16, 2011 23:41

any luthiers in the house who would like to comment on what they have seen??

Next time I go to my guitar shop I will ask my expert what he thinks about all of this... his spents most of his time repairing broken Martins, so I am curious what he will say about... how guitars breaks... which ones break... stands... beginners etc etc etc etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-16 23:41 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: December 16, 2011 23:43

Gibson accident.

That's where the join is.

This doesn't happen on Fenders.

Date: December 16, 2011 23:45

Max'sKansasCity
ChrisM
Max'sKansasCity
.... and the moral is?
No moral, but the conclusion is fairly obvious...

Date: December 16, 2011 23:51

ChrisM

Yes the moral is that Gibsons are generally nicer to play and easier to set up than Fenders.. I always struggle with a Fender.

Just don't drop them.

Date: December 16, 2011 23:54

ChrisM
Max'sKansasCity
ChrisM
Max'sKansasCity
.... and the moral is?

not really... and I am not being a smart ass.

I do know that some people can feel pretty smug about their Gibsons... and Gibsons usually cost more than Fenders... but if they so break easier, then what? Surely there are facts about this... I mean which guitars show up the most in repair shops? of course viewing those records, one would have to take into consideration if a guitar is worth repairing.... repair cost versus guitar value... and some guitars might not show up simply because they are not worth repairing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-16 23:58 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: December 16, 2011 23:59

I always wish that Fender would do the same scale length as Gibson.

Date: December 17, 2011 00:04

GravityBoy
I always wish that Fender would do the same scale length as Gibson.

Agreed.

PS
For any new players out there, be aware that the "neck scale length" is different between guitar makers... it is something to be considered before your buy another guitar. Here is one artilce [www.guitarnoise.com] do a search on your own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-17 00:11 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: December 17, 2011 00:09

Yes, Fender is a bit longer and requires a little bit more stretch, no big deal for most players but if you have small hands (like me) it can be a pain.

Date: December 17, 2011 00:34

Most guitars breaks happen from guitars stands.
I'm not into them. There are better stands than others I think the typical single chrome stand is a recipe for disaster.

Date: December 17, 2011 00:39

GravityBoy
ChrisM

Yes the moral is that Gibsons are generally nicer to play and easier to set up than Fenders.. I always struggle with a Fender.

Just don't drop them.
Yes! In a nutshell. Do not drop them! This is the conclusion that to me at least was fairly obvious. Regarding playability, I have to agree that Gibsons are generally easier for me to play but I do like the ease of access across the length of the neck and versatility in sound that a good Strat has...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 17, 2011 00:39

Max'sKansasCity
any luthiers in the house who would like to comment on what they have seen??

Yes, don't drop your guitar. But if you drop them, Tele's make the biggest dent.

Mathijs

Date: December 17, 2011 01:54

Ok....

1)So no more treating guitars like they
are basketballs.. dont drop or bounce them.

2)If you need to hit someone who runs out
on stage, a tele makes the biggest dent.

3)It is "worth it" to leave you guitar out
on a stand, because it reminds you to play more often.

which bring us back to.... [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: December 18, 2011 18:51

Regarding the "Gibson breaking headstock" discussion, I was reading an article (blog maybe? something) by Ed Roman about how the Les Paul neck and headstock design is flawed. He was saying that something like 90% of the headstock repairs that he's done are on Les Paul's and that's all to do with the angle of the headstock in relation to the neck. I can't remember alot of details but it was an interesting read. Sorry I don't have the link but if you googled Ed Roman and Les Paul neck repairs I'm sure you could find some stuff.

Strangely enough, he claimed he very rarely had to do any repairs on any kind of Les Paul copy, including Epiphones.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: December 18, 2011 19:27

Spot the flaw, if you can. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: December 18, 2011 19:37

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: December 18, 2011 21:30

carlostones10

whatever you posted, it's not showing.
what was it?

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: December 19, 2011 00:42

My guitars

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2012
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home