Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: The Dutch Step Backward
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: December 16, 2011 19:57

Tourists put money into your city's economy. Be thankful for that.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 16, 2011 20:01

71Tele
Mathijs
The Sicilian
Mathijs
Amsterdamned
The most annoying thing to me are the f*cking tourists that are too stupid to take the sidewalk (yes I know, they are a bit small) strolling in the middle of the streets taking silly pictures that have been taken a zillion times before. Where is the AF house? Where is the van Gogh museum?? Where is the RL district??? My advice to all tourists: buy a nice DVD about Amsterdam. Stay at home, jerk off and get stoned or drunk. All we have to deal with then are the few people that are still too lazy to clean up their dog's excrement.

When an American asks where the Anne Frank house is, tell him the way, with a slight remark at the end that she isn't at home at the moment. They get really insulted, always great fun.

Mathijs

I never realized that you were anti-American.

hahaha, no I am absolutely not anti-American, certainly not. It's just a stupid joke from a famous Dutch comedian Hans Teeuwen, and when I used to work as a barman in a pub nearby the Anne Frank house it was the joke of the day for a year. It's known in Holland as 'Amsterdam humour'.

Mathijs

I have been to Amsterdam five times and still have not been to Anne Frank house. Is it worth the visit?

I went.

If you have an interest in this type of history, it's a must visit.
I got something out of being there and imagining what those families endured,
but I doubt anyone who doesn't know the story or has an interest will get anything from it.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 16, 2011 20:11

Edith Grove
71Tele
Mathijs
The Sicilian
Mathijs
Amsterdamned
The most annoying thing to me are the f*cking tourists that are too stupid to take the sidewalk (yes I know, they are a bit small) strolling in the middle of the streets taking silly pictures that have been taken a zillion times before. Where is the AF house? Where is the van Gogh museum?? Where is the RL district??? My advice to all tourists: buy a nice DVD about Amsterdam. Stay at home, jerk off and get stoned or drunk. All we have to deal with then are the few people that are still too lazy to clean up their dog's excrement.

When an American asks where the Anne Frank house is, tell him the way, with a slight remark at the end that she isn't at home at the moment. They get really insulted, always great fun.

Mathijs

hahaha, no I am absolutely not anti-American, certainly not. It's just a stupid joke from a famous Dutch comedian Hans Teeuwen, and when I used to work as a barman in a pub nearby the Anne Frank house it was the joke of the day for a year. It's known in Holland as 'Amsterdam humour'.

Mathijs

I have been to Amsterdam five times and still have not been to Anne Frank house. Is it worth the visit?

I went.

but I doubt anyone who doesn't know the story or has an interest will get anything from it.

that's pretty frank talk....

Date: December 16, 2011 20:17

StonesTod
Edith Grove
71Tele
Mathijs
The Sicilian
Mathijs
Amsterdamned

Mathijs

Mathijs

I went.

Amsterdamn! you are one clever fella!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 16, 2011 20:29

71Tele
Mathijs
The Sicilian
Mathijs
Amsterdamned

Mathijs

Mathijs

Yes, I think it is worth the visit, even though she isn't home.

Advice is to order a ticket with a time slot in advance, it saves a two hour queue. Even better, in my personal opinion, is to visit the Merwedeplein in Amsterdam South, where the Frank family lived before they moved to the Achterhuis. The Merwedeplein hasn't changed a bit since 1943, and it is actually quite moving.

Mathijs

Date: December 16, 2011 20:31

StonesTod
Edith Grove
71Tele
Mathijs
The Sicilian
Mathijs
Amsterdamned

Mathijs

Mathijs

I went.

Our humor is on the same level, I see.

Mathijs

Date: December 16, 2011 20:33

I like a city where you can go see Anne Frank's house and a live sex show all in one day.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 16, 2011 20:35

GumbootCloggeroo
I like a city where you can go see Anne Frank's house and a live sex show all in one day.

i'm not sure why they've incorporated live sex shows in her house, but i guess it helps bring in extra tourism....

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 16, 2011 20:55

How right you are.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 16, 2011 20:55

StonesTod
GumbootCloggeroo

i'm not sure why they've incorporated live sex shows in her house, but i guess it helps bring in extra tourism....

All they need is the hash bar...

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 16, 2011 22:57

Amsterdamned
The most annoying thing to me are the f*cking tourists

Sorry for being a visitor to your town every now and then, but I like it and I intend to visit it again.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: December 16, 2011 23:01

Mathijs
It was just fun out of boredom.

You made me laugh smiling smiley

-------------------

Date: December 16, 2011 23:02

GumbootCloggeroo
Tourists put money into your city's economy. Be thankful for that.

Thank you very much

-------------------

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 16, 2011 23:11

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 17, 2011 00:29

Two points.
1. The UK tourists puke in the street, cause they are drunk I think. I don't think that's marijuana per se.
2. The Anne Frank house isn't worth the visit. They exhibit TinTin in Africa as "racism". True it isn't very politically correct, but it isn't racism. It just another time then we are in today. I don't see the point of a few empty rooms. The story of Anne Frank isn't the one that's important. What's important is the one about how the dutch helped the persecutors of the jews.

I never go to Limburg, or hardly ever "outside the ring", but this decision is going to hurt the economy and cause a lot of dealers to be on the street, who will try to sell other stuff too.

I should start a thread about Howlin Wolf as I want to know which of his records to buy.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 17, 2011 00:33

Start with the...

2 Bear Family releases ... Memphis days Vol 1 & 2 ...

pick up Rides Again on ACE then get yaself a good Chess comp....

check in again when ya bones stop rattlin' ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 17, 2011 00:38

Looks like the ban won't go into effect until 2013, thanks, Rockman.

Hmmm, so it's not until after any tour in 2012...

I love the museums myself. I have to go to the Van Gogh if nothing else.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: December 17, 2011 00:56

Whale
2. The Anne Frank house isn't worth the visit. They exhibit TinTin in Africa as "racism". True it isn't very politically correct, but it isn't racism. It just another time then we are in today. I don't see the point of a few empty rooms. The story of Anne Frank isn't the one that's important. What's important is the one about how the dutch helped the persecutors of the jews.

Did you really visit the Achterhuis? And if you did, did you understand it?

The whole point of the exibition is that the Frank family had to escape the Dutch persecutors. It was NAZI laws inflicted, but the Dutch politics, administration, police and whatever more where more than happy to oblige.

If you failed to see that at the Anne Frank house, or failed to see the actuality of history through 'some empty rooms', well, pity on you boy.

Mathijs

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 17, 2011 02:32

The point about the Anne Frank House is that it was/is in a quiet, normal neighborhood. And one day Nazis burst in and took the family away to die. It's not supposed to have flashing lights and a gift shop. (Save that for Dachau).

Date: December 17, 2011 03:33

24FPS
The point about the Anne Frank House is that it was/is in a quiet, normal neighborhood. And one day Nazis burst in and took the family away to die. It's not supposed to have flashing lights and a gift shop. (Save that for Dachau).

I somehow missed the gift shop at Dachau.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 17, 2011 04:21

Mathijs

I'll tell you why pot is connected to the red light district, slave trade, real estate maffia and what more -the annual turnover of soft drugs in The Netherlands is roughly 4 billion euro's. Now, while you are allowed to buy and use soft drugs in a coffee shop, and the coffee shop is allowed to sell it to you, the coffee shop is NOT allowed to buy in soft drugs from any source. So basically, 4 billion is spend by soft drug users, but it is not earned by the sellers. This leaves two questions: How does the coffee shop holder gets his soft drugs, and where does all that money go? The coffee shop holder gets his drugs via two routes: it is grown iligally in houses, attics, greenhouses, warehouses etc, by either normal people risking eveything they have (being expelled from their homes, getting tax fines for hundreds thousands of euro's etc) or by criminals. These criminals either grow it, or import it. These criminals earn loads of money, and do not only earn money with soft dugs. They import hard drugs as well (cocaine traffic is run by the same people who run the soft drugs trade), they get women from East Europe to work for them in brothels, which they just bought from all the money made from importing soft drugs. Remember, a fairly standard four floor mansion in the city of Amsterdam costs around 2 million euro's. All this 'black' money they earn (remember: 4 billion a year) must be white washed, and one of the easiest ways is to invest it in property.

This, in short, is how something that is legal in the Netherlands is actually a giant motor behind the illigal circuit.

Mathijs

Interesting take on the whole thing. The motor is the money people are willing to put up to buy the stuff. That is clear. But, I see similarities in the pot trade here in CA. The whole chain of custody and marketing of the product is not protected by law and there is always a criminal element in the flow. This is just plain mismanagement of the issue and allows law enforcement an "in" to at least some part of the whole process. The growers are usually the least protected. The feds are still dead set again marijuana planted and harvested in row crops like our food supply is grow. People that try this approach are always the first ones busted. They force it to be a mom and pop operation and this actually helps keep the big crime organizations out of it. That being said they are alot of neuvo wealthy old hippies buying up prime growing lands in the state and settinmg up their family fortunes. It's not the Mafia or mexican gangs here, only for the imported hard drugs are they involved.

It is getting real real bad in places like Tijuana, absurd. Too much money involved to change it. Gotta find a way to reduce the profits of those guys , probably by reducing demand and partial legal;ization. It;s the only sane way to go on. Our courts are clogged and the prison system is out of control! Ask any black family in America. So fuking sad. peace.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 17, 2011 04:40

They can not legislate morality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-17 07:03 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: December 17, 2011 05:17

71Tele
24FPS

That's my dark humor. I consider the place to be a sacred. I was taking a bus there with others in silence when I heard two of my obnoxious countrymen strike up a conversation that started with, "Dude, I got so wasted last night." On the grounds outside Dachau I witnessed an Arab family having a picnic next to their Mercedes. Inside Dachau I saw a happy Japanese family running around, taking photos of themselves in front of objects de sorrow. I fully expected to find a gift shop with faux tattooed lampshades made in Poland, and Work Shall Set You Free keychains.

Date: December 17, 2011 08:02

24FPS
71Tele
24FPS

That's my dark humor. I consider the place to be a sacred. I was taking a bus there with others in silence when I heard two of my obnoxious countrymen strike up a conversation that started with, "Dude, I got so wasted last night." On the grounds outside Dachau I witnessed an Arab family having a picnic next to their Mercedes. Inside Dachau I saw a happy Japanese family running around, taking photos of themselves in front of objects de sorrow. I fully expected to find a gift shop with faux tattooed lampshades made in Poland, and Work Shall Set You Free keychains.

Yes, I got that and quite agree. The odd thing about Dachau to me was the utter normality of the nice suburban area around it. It is very difficult to believe "ordinary" Germans didn't know what was going on literally down the street from them. It is a sacred place indeed. A place of quiet contemplation. The fact that people were taking souvenir photos in this place is quite astounding.

Date: December 17, 2011 22:30

That's why it's so ludicrous when some like the Iranian leader (I can't spell his name) denies the Holocaust. Does he think that prime real estate (Dachau is in the Munich suburbs) is just set aside and not plowed over for condos without a reason? It's not a tourist attraction per se. You can't buy anything there. There's not even a wieners/fries & beer stand. Yes, and it's the normality that's chilling. I went there in 1997. It ruined the rest of my day when I returned to Munich. I was at an outside plaza having a beer and I couldn't help but seethe hatred for the older Germans I saw.

By the way, this hatred does not cancel out the Palestinian's right to a free & independent state. I know the right of return can't happen if there is to be a continuing Jewish state in the Middle East. Israel itself might be out populated by native Arabs in time and this could be a moot point, or an apartheid state like the former South Africa.

Since this thread is supposed to concern the Dutch, I personally feel that despite the presence of collaborators during the Nazi occupation, there were many heroic acts to support Dutch Jews as well. The Dock Strike comes to mind.....

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 18, 2011 14:25

As a resident of Los Angeles, I see the same tourists on Hollywood Boulevard taking stupid photos of hustlers dressed up as Superman or Marilyn Monroe. It comes with the territory of living in an interesting city. Amsterdam has a charm that has to be felt live. I used to go there for a couple weeks at a time and immerse myself. I can always find something new to do, like bicycling out to the countryside of North Amsterdam. To me Amsterdam is such a uniquely beautiful city that it makes me happy that people will still come there to see it when I'm long gone.

After going through a big earthquake in L.A. in '94 I remember how safe I felt it Amsterdam. I could smoke some Parvati Creme hash and not get paranoid. Being able to consume good smokeables in Amsterdam, in moderation, added to the hypnotic beauty of the place. As a long time visitor, I know what will happen now. Those amount of scary faces that come out of the dimly lit Red Light District side streets will grow as pot becomes non-available. Crime will grow, not recede. How will restricting coffee shops prevent the criminal element from still getting pot & much harder drugs into Amsterdam? Now the local residents, who will still get to go to the remaining coffee shops, will find they can make a killing selling the products they can still buy.

Those obnoxious Brits and French and Belgians who come over and take over the Red Light District on the weekends are there for the beer. They'll still go wild and puke on the cobblestones streets. But sitting outside, peacefully, at the Green House canal side, enjoying a bowl, will sadly disappear.
<24fps>

You'r welcome as far as I'am concerned. There will always be a place to buy pot in Amsterdam, legal or illegal. Nobody will forbid you to smoke a joint while strolling in a park or gazing winking smiley at a canal. Banning crime by closing down coffee shops or diminishing the RL area won't help a bit; it even makes it worse. History has proven it.

Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: December 18, 2011 17:23

24FPS
After a long, respected reputation as a guardian of personal freedom, it looks like Holland will finally ban foreigners from buying pot in coffee shops, starting in the Southern provinces in 2012, and making it to Amsterdam by early 2013. Some people think allowing pot is a slippery slope to harder drug use. I contend that allowing the Dutch government to take these steps is a slippery slope of more and more government control of personal freedoms.
I see a slippery slope when it comes to government intrusion on our personal life, but this isn't a part of it.
24FPS
Holland has long led the world in Adult freedom. As an American I am jealous of personal freedom in the Netherlands. It is not lost on me that the name of the government party offending freedom is the Christian Democrats. One of the canards they state is that pot sales have caused street crime in the Netherlands. Huh? This is their 1984 doublespeak. The crime will come with the street dealers in the dark alleys after pot is once again, criminalized.
I think the main problem is that soft drugs were never fully legalized. Its sale and usage (but not its production) are simply being condoned. I would support legalization of the entire supply chain, but only for Dutch nationals, at least until the rest of the world does the same thing.
24FPS
The Southern Provinces have been beset by pot smokers from nearby countries coming to them in droves to buy pot. The Adult solution would be to pressure those countries to soften their anti-marijuana stance.
Well, we tried that. Didn't work. So this is plan B. You see, the Belgians are too busy fighting amongst themselves and Germany is just too conservative. The status quo has been in existence for far too long. How much longer should we wait?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 18, 2011 17:40

Rockman
Start with the...

2 Bear Family releases ... Memphis days Vol 1 & 2 ...

pick up Rides Again on ACE then get yaself a good Chess comp....

check in again when ya bones stop rattlin' ..........

This sounds like the Rock Doc's version of "Take two aspirin and call me in the morning..."

But will it put the Dutch in forward again??

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 18, 2011 18:21

Naturalust
That's fine with me. Canada and California will continue to carry the flag. peace.

Yes we will.
smoking smiley

NoCode0680

I think you mean BC. I don't think the laws are quite so relaxed all over Canada. I was talking in a thread on another site about Marijuana, and somebody said how relaxed it was in Canada, but somebody came up with a bunch of stories that it's not so. One was about the police breaking down a guys door with guns drawn because they thought they smelled marijuana, and it turned out to just be a skunk under his porch. Another was a drug bust gone wrong where they busted down a guys door on a tip that he was selling marijuana, but they broke in the wrong door, and to add insult to injury they assaulted the guy and gave him a black eye. There was another story from 5-6 years back about a raid on a pot farm in which the owner killed two RCMP then killed himself.

It's the same all over out country. But good on you for doing your homework. Your sources are obviously reliable.
eye rolling smiley

Naturalust
good point NoCode! Get away from the coasts in North America and people are still pretty backward and strange! The American midwest is still mostly like this. Living in Cailfornia most of the year that is easy to forget. peace.

Please take the words "North America" and replace them with "The United States". Thank you.

I hope tourism isn't as important in Holland to their economy as it is here. As a Canadian, the obvious reason for going would be for Liberation Day (as it matches the theme for our Tulip Festival here in Ottawa). There's a connection with our two countries. I hope to see even more Dutch folk over here next summer.
Smoke and a pancake!
Bowl and a Beavertail!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: December 18, 2011 18:52

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home