Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
The Dutch Step Backward
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 15, 2011 19:56

After a long, respected reputation as a guardian of personal freedom, it looks like Holland will finally ban foreigners from buying pot in coffee shops, starting in the Southern provinces in 2012, and making it to Amsterdam by early 2013. Some people think allowing pot is a slippery slope to harder drug use. I contend that allowing the Dutch government to take these steps is a slippery slope of more and more government control of personal freedoms.

Holland has long led the world in Adult freedom. As an American I am jealous of personal freedom in the Netherlands. It is not lost on me that the name of the government party offending freedom is the Christian Democrats. One of the canards they state is that pot sales have caused street crime in the Netherlands. Huh? This is their 1984 doublespeak. The crime will come with the street dealers in the dark alleys after pot is once again, criminalized. The Southern Provinces have been beset by pot smokers from nearby countries coming to them in droves to buy pot. The Adult solution would be to pressure those countries to soften their anti-marijuana stance.

Once again, marijuana, not the violence causing alcohol, is the scapegoat.

Re: The Dutch Step Backward
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 15, 2011 20:12

i'll drink to that

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: December 15, 2011 20:14

utter hypocrisy.....alcohol kills more people than cancer and heart attacks combined

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 15, 2011 20:17

Since your an American, I couldn't think of a better place to start your lobbying.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 15, 2011 20:18

Well, we sure won't miss the French and Belgiums getting into fights in the streets of Limburg, The Brits puking in our Amsterdam streets, the dealers stabbing you in Rotterdam, the slave-traded prostitutes from East Europe being beat up by their 'protectors', all the families who are thrown out of their houses because daddy thought it was good idea to grow weed on the attic, the thousands of 13 year olds who think it is normal to have breakfast with a huge joint.

Should I go on? It was a nice experiment, but it went way out of hand.

Mathijs

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 15, 2011 20:19

Rollin' Stoner
utter hypocrisy.....alcohol kills more people than cancer and heart attacks combined

The best resolution would be to ban both pot, alcohol, cancer and heartattacks then

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 15, 2011 20:23

I'm sure this will be a blow to tourism. Many people go there simply for the coffee shops. Though these might not be the type of tourists they want. It's been about 12 years since I took any drug of any kind, so this doesn't affect me too much, but I know a lot of people that will be bummed. Even if they were never going there in reality, I know a lot of people that planned to go there one day. And it does kind of hurt the legalization movement here in the States, as Holland was always the example used to argue how it COULD work if done correctly.

Even though I don't smoke grass, it really is crazy for it to not be legal when alcohol and cigarettes are available in every store. And in this economic climate you legalize it, tax it, and boom we have some more money.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: December 15, 2011 20:24

Erik_Snow
Rollin' Stoner

The best resolution would be to ban both pot, alcohol, cancer and heartattacks then
haha....let's ban death too

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 15, 2011 20:37

Humans have been getting high/drunk/intoxicated since before the first human paid the first prostitute for sex. Some humans will always find a way to get high, and other humans are going to try to find a way to control the getting high humans.

If the Dutch do not want people coming to their country to get high, that is their choice, people will simply stay home and get high.

The only sure way to stop the cycle is to stop having babies... it will take about 90-100 years to take full effect, but it is the only sure way humans will stop wanting to get high.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 15, 2011 20:38

I work with a chap who heads to Amsterdam 4-5 times a year just for the Red Light District. He's a dirty bugger >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 15, 2011 20:40

Big Al
I work with a chap who heads to Amsterdam 4-5 times a year just for the Red Light District. He's a dirty bugger >grinning smiley<

This will not be good for Dutch tourism. As wonderful a city as Amsterdam is, too many go there solely for the weed and hookers... FACT

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 15, 2011 20:41

That's fine with me. Canada and California will continue to carry the flag. peace.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 15, 2011 20:47

Naturalust
That's fine with me. Canada and California will continue to carry the flag. peace.

I think you mean BC. I don't think the laws are quite so relaxed all over Canada. I was talking in a thread on another site about Marijuana, and somebody said how relaxed it was in Canada, but somebody came up with a bunch of stories that it's not so. One was about the police breaking down a guys door with guns drawn because they thought they smelled marijuana, and it turned out to just be a skunk under his porch. Another was a drug bust gone wrong where they busted down a guys door on a tip that he was selling marijuana, but they broke in the wrong door, and to add insult to injury they assaulted the guy and gave him a black eye. There was another story from 5-6 years back about a raid on a pot farm in which the owner killed two RCMP then killed himself.

Date: December 15, 2011 20:47

Rollin' Stoner

it's not a contest

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: December 15, 2011 20:52

StonesTod
Rollin' Stoner

it's not a contest
It's not? I was under the impression that alcohol has surged past cancer and heart attacks by achieving historic 50 billionth death and one last great drink.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 15, 2011 20:54

NoCode0680
Naturalust

I think you mean BC. I don't think the laws are quite so relaxed all over Canada. I was talking in a thread on another site about Marijuana, and somebody said how relaxed it was in Canada, but somebody came up with a bunch of stories that it's not so. One was about the police breaking down a guys door with guns drawn because they thought they smelled marijuana, and it turned out to just be a skunk under his porch. Another was a drug bust gone wrong where they busted down a guys door on a tip that he was selling marijuana, but they broke in the wrong door, and to add insult to injury they assaulted the guy and gave him a black eye. There was another story from 5-6 years back about a raid on a pot farm in which the owner killed two RCMP then killed himself.

good point NoCode! Get away from the coasts in North America and people are still pretty backward and strange! The American midwest is still mostly like this. Living in Cailfornia most of the year that is easy to forget. peace.

Date: December 15, 2011 20:59

GumbootCloggeroo
StonesTod
Rollin' Stoner

it's not a contest
It's not? I was under the impression that alcohol has surged past cancer and heart attacks by achieving historic 50 billionth death and one last great drink.

i'm rooting for syphilis...where does it rank?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 15, 2011 21:03

The Dutch Step Backward

Bummer. I thought this was a new dance craze.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: December 15, 2011 21:12

The law is the same all over Canada but it is perhaps less stringently enforced here in B.C. ...for now. I'm a postal worker and every day we see lots of parcels of medical marijuana being shipped express across the country. The return address is just MMS (Medical Marijuana Society) and there is no smell at all. I'm not sure if that's technically legal but I'm sure if the current Conservative government has their way it will stop: they're poised to introduce draconian new laws making it a mandatory prison sentence if you're caught growing more than six plants. Their new "tough on crime" bill (even though crime rates are down all over the country) is a travesty ,will cost the tax payers dearly and will ruin some people's lives. I'm ashamed for my country but hopeful that things will not much change that much here in B.C. where "the beezers" is legendary (local Victoria man just won this years' Cannabis Cup).

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: December 15, 2011 21:21

StonesTod
GumbootCloggeroo
StonesTod
Rollin' Stoner

it's not a contest

It's pretty far back in the death race. It's neck and neck with breaking your neck in a ballet accident.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 15, 2011 21:22

Mathijs
Well, we sure won't miss the French and Belgiums getting into fights in the streets of Limburg, The Brits puking in our Amsterdam streets, the dealers stabbing you in Rotterdam, the slave-traded prostitutes from East Europe being beat up by their 'protectors', all the families who are thrown out of their houses because daddy thought it was good idea to grow weed on the attic, the thousands of 13 year olds who think it is normal to have breakfast with a huge joint.

Mathijs

Right on many points..............

I'm not sure about this we won't miss the French and Belgiums they will still come only this time in the illegal circuit

Date: December 15, 2011 21:35

GumbootCloggeroo
StonesTod
GumbootCloggeroo
StonesTod
Rollin' Stoner

it's not a contest

It's pretty far back in the death race. It's neck and neck with breaking your neck in a ballet accident.

the public just has no taste anymore

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 15, 2011 21:47

What do the coffee shops do with all the tourists
that pass-out from puffin' on too much of the super-dope???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 15, 2011 23:41

Mathijs

Mathijs

Interesting comment. I really thought Dutch ppl were highly supportive of this drug liberalism. The "experiment" was sold to us Europeans as an expression of the centuries-old Dutch tolerance.
Like "they let Erasmus and Spinoza write what they wanted. You should let them sell pot to the rest of Europe".

Another made-in-Brussels EU lie?

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 15, 2011 23:54

I think that the Dutch government is going to experience a significant decrease in
tourism,and a much less than expected decrease in crime.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 16, 2011 00:19

MKjan
I think that the Dutch government is going to experience a significant decrease in
tourism,and a much less than expected decrease in crime.

thumbs up

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 16, 2011 00:23

MKjan
tourism

Now, where is that loss of tax revenue going to come from ?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 16, 2011 00:26

Mathijs

Mathijs

What would YOU know about it? You only live there. grinning smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 16, 2011 00:30

MKjan
I think that the Dutch government is going to experience a significant decrease in tourism,and a much less than expected decrease in crime.

So a majority of the tourists there were visiting to smoke weed?

Too bad nobody wants to see a Vermeer or Rembrandt or even a de Hooch.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 16, 2011 00:53

The Sicilian
MKjan
I think that the Dutch government is going to experience a significant decrease in tourism,and a much less than expected decrease in crime.

So a majority of the tourists there were visiting to smoke weed?

Too bad nobody wants to see a Vermeer or Rembrandt or even a de Hooch.

Yes there is the Night Watchman and the Van Gogh museum and the Anne Frank house and lots more, but I do think a lot of people came for the weed, wouldn't call it a majority though.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1043
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home