Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I nominate "Only Rock n' Roll" for song most impaired by inferior production/recording
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: December 12, 2011 04:09

I was just listening to Tina Turner's live version and was thinking "man, that track couldn've been smokin'.

Other nominations?

Re: I nominate "Only Rock n' Roll" for song most impaired by inferior production/recording
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 12, 2011 04:10

I don't like Jimmy Miller's drums on it. Best live versions were in 97/98, IMHO.

Re: I nominate "Only Rock n' Roll" for song most impaired by inferior production/recording
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: December 12, 2011 04:10

excuse me, it's actually our own Lisa Fischer singing amazingly on the track, but its on Tina's album

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 12, 2011 04:17

flacnvinyl
I don't like Jimmy Miller's drums on it. Best live versions were in 97/98, IMHO.

???

Miller was out. Glimmers were in. Kenney Jones on drums.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: December 12, 2011 04:25

I admit the studio cut leaves me flat. The only redeeming quality that tricks me into listening to it is the outro.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 12, 2011 06:06

Sorry.. I don't like Kenney Jones on drums. They should have re cut the track with Charlie.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 12, 2011 06:54

Send It To me
I was just listening to Tina Turner's live version and was thinking "man, that track couldn've been smokin'.

Other nominations?

HYSYMBSITS

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 12, 2011 07:05

I love it. It's very messy and laid back and has the extra layers with the acoustic guitars.

It's great in it's messiness and moderate muddiness. The song feels like it's held together by band-aids.

It's decadent Stonesy rock'n'roll!

They are toking on joints in that song! lol

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 12, 2011 07:42

flacnvinyl
Sorry.. I don't like Kenney Jones on drums. They should have re cut the track with Charlie.

They did. Then they decided the original track recorded at Ronnie's house better.

Posted by: jjsteve ()
Date: December 12, 2011 07:53

i read an interview once where charlie said they did not record him on drums, and that he said he could not have done it any differently, and they just went with what they had... i think it would have sounded better with charlie, the drums on the studio version are off.... the video version of the song os more rocking also

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 12, 2011 09:32

Didn't they record it in Ronnies Cellar?

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: December 12, 2011 12:24

MileHigh
I love it. It's very messy and laid back and has the extra layers with the acoustic guitars.

It's great in it's messiness and moderate muddiness. The song feels like it's held together by band-aids.

It's decadent Stonesy rock'n'roll!

They are toking on joints in that song! lol

I agree. It is so over-produced that it is absolutely magic. My favourite Stones track. They never came anywhere close to it in their live versions.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 12, 2011 12:31

The single mix was better than the album cut. The whole album suufers from a lack of dynamics and drive in the mixing and production.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 12, 2011 12:38

Hold it! iorr is one of the best produced songs, one of a kind. Perfect and suits Jaggers vocals.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 12, 2011 12:41

A flat album, but this song is pretty cool anyway.

"Song most impaired by inferior production" would, in a way, be almost everything they did pre-1966. Not to mention most of Satanic (although that one leaves a little to be desired in the songwriting department as well).

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: December 12, 2011 13:18

The studiotake has got its charms. I absolutely adore the live rendition on Love You Live.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: December 12, 2011 14:11

Another one with pretty rough production was Lennon's Instant Karma--
lots of unintentional distortion (especially the vocals )

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: December 12, 2011 15:49

Yes, it's a bit messy, but I like it. I'm thinking of 'Between the buttons'. I really would like an Aftermath-like treatment of it. Especially regarding Mick's vocals, drums here and there.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 12, 2011 17:00

There is the studio Stones, and, there is the live Stones. Leave Kenney Jones alone, he is one of our finest drummers. Funny story: Kenney said to Charlie later, "Hope you're not mad, don't mean to infringe on your territory." Charlie said, "It's OK, it sounds like me anyway." Well, maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but... Good dig, Charlie.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 12, 2011 17:37

The Love You Live version smokes!

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 12, 2011 17:46

Agreed about production on Between the Buttons. Aftermath was really well produced, very balanced. After that they kinda got carried away with the amount of channels, instruments and effects at hand, before Jimmy Miller got hold of the steering wheel.

Sometimes I love records with campy production, like on Goats Head Soup. Some people say Exile is badly produced, but they have no clue about what they're talking about.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: December 12, 2011 17:53

Kirk
Yes, it's a bit messy, but I like it. I'm thinking of 'Between the buttons'. I really would like an Aftermath-like treatment of it. Especially regarding Mick's vocals, drums here and there.

I think BTB is better produced,or at least sounds clearer / more dynamic. Always wanted to turn up the treble on IORR album. It was slightly improved by the Virgin remaster,but only Fingerprnt File sounds magnificent IMHO - Didn't they get Glyn Johns back for that one ?

sc uk

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 12, 2011 18:47

It was 1974 and a great track when it first hit the airwaves.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 12, 2011 18:55

i love the track...love the drums....love each and every one of the 4,426 guitar tracks on it, too...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 12, 2011 19:01

The chaos is what makes it brilliant. Especially when the timing is so off in the last couple of minuts that it feels like its going to fall apart at any moment.

They've never bettered the studio version.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: December 12, 2011 22:31

The single mix is different? Or do you mean the edited promo?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 12, 2011 22:55

I agree that the chaos makes it brilliant. It certainly is an odd track. But it somehow works. For me, when they try to turn it into a Chuck Berry groove live it falls flat. The magic is in the weirdness of the demo plus all the overdubs.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 13, 2011 00:24

Britney
The studiotake has got its charms. I absolutely adore the live rendition on Love You Live.

Me Too! Jagger taking it over the top at the end - and of course I love the Toronto shout-out!!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 13, 2011 03:08

I think it sounds great on the album. It sounds slick but I mean that in a good way.

Date: December 13, 2011 03:14

A bland song period. The only reason it even works at all is because of the title. But even the chorus hints at it - it's so boring but somehow I like it? Boring. It should've been kept as an inside joke and released as a B-side. The LP version is the equivalent to wishing you had a bottle of rum but instead you get cottage cheese.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home