Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Mick and Keith to pay for Hubert Sumlin's funeral
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 8, 2011 17:46

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Well sadly, outside of blues circles, Hubert wasn't exactly a household name.

i liked hubert's work in wolf's band, but he was a sideman...yeah, a good one, but no more or less...

Date: December 8, 2011 17:49

Agreed, but it's not about respect so much as name recognition. The general public would rather read about Lindsay Lohan in rehab because they know the name and face. A legendary blues musician, no matter how talented and influential, unless they are a recognizable name (like BB King) just won't matter to the mainstream media.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 8, 2011 18:15

A nice gesture. And it is even nicer since it is done by both of them.thumbs up

- Doxa

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 8, 2011 18:17

First of all I'd like to say how nice it is to see hear that Mick & Keith, "in lieu of flowers" are showing their appreciation to Mr. Sumlin.

Secondly... I'd just like to roll my eyes as I wonder how in threads about "Life" (and others), Keith is regularly blasted as one of the most dispicable people on the planet, yet, in this thread, he's a real gentleman, class act.

Also, reading around the board I hear that Mick will never work together with Keith again, Mick hates Keith, etc. Yet here they are, as Mick and Keith, not as The Rolling Stones, not as Mick, Keith, Charlie & Ronnie, just the two of them, coming together to pay for one of their heroes funeral.

Anyone else beginning to realize that many of the expert psychiatrists around here are just as clueless, if not more so, as the rest of us?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 8, 2011 18:23

steel driving hammer
True.

But if Hubert was a pop musician it'd be all over the news.

Sad Sad Sad.

the clue is in the word 'pop', which is short for 'popular'.

An 80 year old blues sideman dying - no matter how great he undoubtedly was - isnt going to be a major news sensation, like it or not.

As for the 'nothing in the media' about Mick and Keith's gesture, in fairness, it was only reported on Hubert's official facebook page within the last 24 hours. Its not exactly something thats going to be picked up in a flash by AP.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: December 8, 2011 18:25

for all we know Keith's people called Mick's people to arrange the joint payments. for all we know, Keith didn't even talk to Mick. for all we know, we know nothing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-08 18:27 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: December 8, 2011 18:29

Silver Dagger
Max'sKansasCity
smileys with beer Cheers to Keith, Mick and Hubert. I esp like that it is both of them doing this, versus one or the other trying to one up. Very admirable.

Not wanting to read too much into this, I wonder if they spoke on the phone and if so, who rung who? My money would be on Keith ringing Mick. Is the ice finally thawing?

I would think it was done through staffers, without them speaking to each other at all. Maybe one of them initiated it, and from there staffers put it together.

This is all speculation. Who knows how it came about, but I see one of them calling "the office" and saying they'd like to pay for the funeral, and then either instructing it come from both, a staffer suggesting that, or the other one getting notice of it and saying include me too.

I just don't see them calling each other about this or anything else. I don't think they communicate that directly anymore, mostly because they probably can't get each other on the phone that easy. I see the same thing with all of them. Instead of trying to track each other down, playing phone tag, they probably have a system of contact set-up through staff.

And yes it is a great gesture, but how quickly past criticisms are forgotten when an act of charity comes to light. How long before this is forgotten and another discussion of greedy Jagger and how they didn't do right by so and so comes up?

And God bless Hubert Sumlin. Hopefully he's in a better place, living as peacefully as he seemed to here.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 8, 2011 18:32

Although I was a bit cynical in my last post and will now leave myself open to the attacks of the expert psychiatrists, I have a feeling the reason the press is not reporting the fact that Keith & Mick are paying for the service, has to do with at least two things that I can think of. One, if the death itself isn't "newsworthy" why would the funeral arrangements be newsworthy? Two, Keith & Mick aren't trying to get media coverage. One call from either Mick's. Keith's or the Stones' press agent and this would become news. It's my guess that they don't want to advertise. As Gazza said, the only reason we know about this is because it was posted on Hubert's site, most likely in "Thanks" as opposed to "giving credit".

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 8, 2011 18:35

bustedtrousers
Silver Dagger
Max'sKansasCity
smileys with beer Cheers to Keith, Mick and Hubert. I esp like that it is both of them doing this, versus one or the other trying to one up. Very admirable.

Not wanting to read too much into this, I wonder if they spoke on the phone and if so, who rung who? My money would be on Keith ringing Mick. Is the ice finally thawing?

I would think it was done through staffers, without them speaking to each other at all. Maybe one of them initiated it, and from there staffers put it together.

This is all speculation. Who knows how it came about, but I see one of them calling "the office" and saying they'd like to pay for the funeral, and then either instructing it come from both, a staffer suggesting that, or the other one getting notice of it and saying include me too.

I just don't see them calling each other about this or anything else. I don't think they communicate that directly anymore, mostly because they probably can't get each other on the phone that easy. I see the same thing with all of them. Instead of trying to track each other down, playing phone tag, they probably have a system of contact set-up through staff.

London. Now. In. They. Both. Are. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 8, 2011 18:41

f u n n y

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 8, 2011 18:51

mr_dja
Two, Keith & Mick aren't trying to get media coverage. One call from either Mick's. Keith's or the Stones' press agent and this would become news. It's my guess that they don't want to advertise. As Gazza said, the only reason we know about this is because it was posted on Hubert's site, most likely in "Thanks" as opposed to "giving credit".

Well, one feature with the Stones - including Mick and Keith - I have always respected is that they never seem to take advantage of the cheap publicity in doing charity or that kind of things. Maybe that is in their English blood. When they do charity they do it because they want to do it - and not to make PR section in their CV look better. I don't see any reason why some Stones press agents should 'call' anyone (say, in order to make their client to look good). They paid the funeral, because they wanted to (to show the homage, help the widow in expenses, or whatever), and that's it. It is not any PR trick. They might be very arseholes in many aspects but not in this. I can't see why this (a class gesture of Mick and Keith) should be any 'big news'.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-08 19:00 by Doxa.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 8, 2011 19:16

WilliamPatrickMaynard
Agreed, but it's not about respect so much as name recognition. The general public would rather read about Lindsay Lohan in rehab because they know the name and face. A legendary blues musician, no matter how talented and influential, unless they are a recognizable name (like BB King) just won't matter to the mainstream media.

and why should it?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: December 8, 2011 22:41

For those who might be interested....this was posted on another HS thread.

For full article click the link below:

[www.jsonline.com]

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: December 8, 2011 23:57

Very good gesture from Mick and Keith.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 9, 2011 00:55

klrkcr

Yeah but who'll pay for their funeral...?

(okay lads no need to show me the door...) >grinning smiley<

Date: December 9, 2011 01:00

dcba
klrkcr

Yeah but who'll pay for their funeral...?

(okay lads no need to show me the door...) >grinning smiley<

Us!! A million times over!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 9, 2011 02:23

StonesTod
WilliamPatrickMaynard

and why should it?

no ones really picked up on Dobie Grays passing either.....btw nice gesture by the Glimmer Twins.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: December 9, 2011 02:29

Gazza
bustedtrousers
Silver Dagger
Max'sKansasCity

That's fine, but I still don't see them calling each other, unless they really have too. Partly because of the state of their friendship, whatever that may be, and partly because it's been ages since they were settled in one place, and had only one, or maybe a couple, of numbers to call and no buffers in between.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were hanging out with one of them, if he would even know how to get the other one on the phone if you brought it up. Their lives, regardless of how busy they may or may not be, have long been so convoluted that it's probably been decades since they actually "rang" each other up. I think they stopped communicating on that level long ago.

I also don't think they really care to call each other anymore, and to do something like this for Hubert they don't need to.

Look, I have no way of knowing for sure, I doubt any of us do, so I am not saying this is definitely how it is, like some people on here tend to do. I also wouldn't be surprised if they had each other on speed dial. But I don't think so.

When it came to doing this for Hubert, I seriously doubt they had any direct contact with each other.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: December 9, 2011 02:31

Haven't read the whole thread but I didn't realise Hubert Sumlin had died. I saw him on the Crossroads 2010 dvd and he didn't seem well. He had obviously declined alot since his previous appearance in '04. I was also struck at just how much B.B. King and even Clapton himself seemed to have aged in the past couple of years.

Very sad to hear about Hubert.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: December 9, 2011 02:37

After a 2 day break, Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood returned to Tokyo's Budokan on 6 and 7 December for the third and fourth concerts of their 5 date residency. On the 6th, Eric dedicated "Low Down" to blues legend Hubert Sumlin who had died the previous day in the United States.

[whereseric.com]

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 9, 2011 02:46

A very decent gesture indeed. It shows respect.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: December 9, 2011 02:50

bustedtrousers
Gazza
bustedtrousers
Silver Dagger
Max'sKansasCity

That's fine, but I still don't see them calling each other, unless they really have too. Partly because of the state of their friendship, whatever that may be, and partly because it's been ages since they were settled in one place, and had only one, or maybe a couple, of numbers to call and no buffers in between.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were hanging out with one of them, if he would even know how to get the other one on the phone if you brought it up. Their lives, regardless of how busy they may or may not be, have long been so convoluted that it's probably been decades since they actually "rang" each other up. I think they stopped communicating on that level long ago.

I also don't think they really care to call each other anymore, and to do something like this for Hubert they don't need to.

Look, I have no way of knowing for sure, I doubt any of us do, so I am not saying this is definitely how it is, like some people on here tend to do. I also wouldn't be surprised if they had each other on speed dial. But I don't think so.

When it came to doing this for Hubert, I seriously doubt they had any direct contact with each other.

Agree with much of what youre saying in principle, but there's no need for 'buffers' at this moment in time.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 9, 2011 02:52

Traditionally, Mick Jagger has arranged to help various musicians he and the Stones admired in many quiet ways. As well as sending beautiful flowers to hospitals where some of them were dying.

In the case of the late, great Ray Charles, another idol of the band, a wonderful floral tribute arrived at the service with the simple card. "Love from The Rolling Stones."

Date: December 9, 2011 02:56

Gazza
steel driving hammer
True.

But if Hubert was a pop musician it'd be all over the news.

Sad Sad Sad.

the clue is in the word 'pop', which is short for 'popular'.

An 80 year old blues sideman dying - no matter how great he undoubtedly was - isnt going to be a major news sensation, like it or not.

As for the 'nothing in the media' about Mick and Keith's gesture, in fairness, it was only reported on Hubert's official facebook page within the last 24 hours. Its not exactly something thats going to be picked up in a flash by AP.

..getting plenty of coverage now on respected news sites...

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 9, 2011 02:58

Good Lord. Gazza, you are quoting yourself. Everything alright with you ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: December 9, 2011 03:33

Dobie Gray's passing was featured on NBC's nightly news and others.

Date: December 9, 2011 03:35

Rolling Hansie
Good Lord. Gazza, you are quoting yourself. Everything alright with you ?

Just updating things for steelie's benefit, hansie!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 9, 2011 03:59

On a communication level, they are no different than any of us. You have your circle of family, friends and business associates. So does Mick and Keith. If you need to contact them you pick up the phone and call. I have a close friend who has the same home phone number that he had when we were twelve years old.

Trivial matters such as flowers, presents and such, well they have employees that handle that stuff. Most everything nowadays is transacted online and delivered if necessary. I doubt you'll see Mick at the Apple Store or at J.Crew buying a sweater.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: December 9, 2011 04:40

that's cool

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 9, 2011 04:54

WilliamPatrickMaynard
If you haven't figured out by now that Gazza is really Matt Clifford there just is no hope for you people.

Ouch. Really? Combing through my past posts to find any anti-Clifford sentiment. Hope he's not pals with Chuck.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2668
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home