Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Stones Compilations
Date: October 3, 2015 23:05

grinning smiley

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 5, 2015 16:00

DandelionPowderman
The official compilations, approved by the band, according to the Stones's website rs.com:

Why has Time Waits for No One ever been released on CD then?? Gotta get that UK version of Big Hits...

Date: October 5, 2015 19:34

I'm not sure if Rewind came out on cd either, did it?

Yeah, for some reason I don't have the UK Big Hits myself. Will be my next purchase smiling smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 5, 2015 20:06

When the Stones' contract with Atlantic came up for renewal in 1977, the band signed to EMI worldwide but opted to stay with Atlantic in North America. "Time Waits For No One" was issued by WEA (Atlantic) in 1979 as a contract filler in Europe and a few other territories which is why it never got an American release.
Rewind was issued in 1984 as the first release under the new contract with CBS/Columbia and it was also the first Stones album to be released on Compact Disc.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-05 20:11 by Deltics.

Date: October 5, 2015 20:28

Ha ha, thanks, Deltics!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 5, 2015 20:31

I am the only one who thought that the ordering of songs on "Rewind" was totally bizarre?
Also, in retrospect, the inclusion of "Hang Fire" seems odd, another track from Some Girls might have made more sense.

Date: October 5, 2015 20:36

Turner68
I am the only one who thought that the ordering of songs on "Rewind" was totally bizarre?
Also, in retrospect, the inclusion of "Hang Fire" seems odd, another track from Some Girls might have made more sense.

Never thought of that, and I grew up with it, so...

They probably included more TY tracks since it wasn't that long since it came out..

Date: October 5, 2015 21:02

Quck poll - rewind vs made in the shade?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-05 21:02 by Turner68.

Date: October 5, 2015 21:13

Rewind!!

Date: October 5, 2015 21:20

Made in the shade! :-)

Date: October 5, 2015 22:05

Turner68

Made In The Shade vs. Hot Rocks...

Date: October 5, 2015 22:13

DandelionPowderman
Turner68

Hot rocks by a country mile

Date: October 5, 2015 22:18

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Turner68

Hot rocks by a country mile

Yep.

Hot Rocks vs. Rolled Gold (original, not the + version)?

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: October 5, 2015 22:32

I know some Americans grew up with it, but Hot Rocks is not good. Poor selection of their earliest songs (ALL missing: Not Fade Away, Little Red Rooster, The Last Time, and It's All Over Now). Almost skips over their psychedelic period.

Rolled Gold, no contest

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: October 5, 2015 22:41

2000man
I know some Americans grew up with it, but Hot Rocks is not good. Poor selection of their earliest songs (ALL missing: Not Fade Away, Little Red Rooster, The Last Time, and It's All Over Now). Almost skips over their psychedelic period.

Rolled Gold, no contest

+1

Date: October 5, 2015 22:57

I'm American and I "grew up" (in the late 70s / early 80s) on Hot Rocks but looking at the track list, it's clear that "Rolled Gold" is far superior.

Having said that, I always thought it was cool that "Hot Rocks" had the live version of MR on it :-) Very appropriate.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 6, 2015 15:21

Turner68

The UK version had different songs on it than the US version. She's So Cold and Respectable (that's just bizarre - Respectable? Why not something good like Shattered or All Down The Line or Happy?). The track order was different as well. UK opened with Brown Sugar, US opened with Miss You. Yet songs 9-12 are the same.

Hang Fire does seem like an odd track to put on it since it wasn't a hit single but, according to Wikipedia, "the song became a radio hit in the US, where it reached No. 20 on the singles chart" but it was only included on the CD issues (same with IORR and Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo) in 1986.

Neither issue had Wild Horses or Shattered on it.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 6, 2015 15:23

A compilation of songs that have already featured on ordinary vinyl albums, is of no interest to me. Instead, I would very much have liked a vinyl compilation of released songs post-Decca after the idea of German Decca's (for the Decca period), "The Best of the Rest", preferably in chronological order. Apart from single and EP-material not taken from or included in vinyl album releases, however, among them, also CD album cuts not featured on vinyl albums, In addition. the two "electronic" singles.

Most certainly, there is very little or rather no hope for all this, given the fact that such a list comprises songs that are not among the band's best. And apparently, very few customers for such a vinyl compilation.

Date: October 6, 2015 15:25

GasLightStreet
Turner68

The UK version had different songs on it than the US version. She's So Cold and Respectable (that's just bizarre - Respectable? Why not something good like Shattered or All Down The Line or Happy?). The track order was different as well. UK opened with Brown Sugar, US opened with Miss You. Yet songs 9-12 are the same.

Hang Fire does seem like an odd track to put on it since it wasn't a hit single but, according to Wikipedia, "the song became a radio hit in the US, where it reached No. 20 on the singles chart" but it was only included on the CD issues (same with IORR and Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo) in 1986.

Neither issue had Wild Horses or Shattered on it.

They had to consider what was on the earlier compilations as well.

I liked the inclusion of She's So Cold and Respectable. They made music videos for both, as well as for Hang Fire. Not big hits, but it's not a «big hits-album» per se, either.

have loved Rewind, since I got in on cassette when it came out. My first Stones compilation album, together with Solid Rock.

Date: October 6, 2015 15:37

REWIND ruled my stereo for years, on vinyl and CD. Along with HOT ROCKS it was the prefect comp strictly regarding hit songs and not something of a little more interest like MADE IN THE SHADE or SUCKING IN THE 70S and TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

Instead of being smart about it, Virgin Records didn't reissue it and put out JUMP BACK instead. So memorable... An expanded REWIND would've made the most sense (even with the 1986 and 1989 songs that would've been on it like are on Jcool smiley.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 6, 2015 15:39

this is the best one I got:

2 1 2 0

Date: October 6, 2015 15:47

GasLightStreet
REWIND ruled my stereo for years, on vinyl and CD. Along with HOT ROCKS it was the prefect comp strictly regarding hit songs and not something of a little more interest like MADE IN THE SHADE or SUCKING IN THE 70S and TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

Instead of being smart about it, Virgin Records didn't reissue it and put out JUMP BACK instead. So memorable... An expanded REWIND would've made the most sense (even with the 1986 and 1989 songs that would've been on it like are on Jcool smiley.

The mistakes in that booklet are so hilarious that they make Rarities seem correct in comparison smiling smiley

Date: October 6, 2015 15:51

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

The mistakes in that booklet are so hilarious that they make Rarities seem correct in comparison smiling smiley

Isn't that weird? That's just so bizarre.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home