Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Stones Compilations
Date: December 10, 2011 02:02

Blueranger
Technically ABKCO has released a very little amount of compilations considering what they could have been doing.

And then I'm not even going to mention Decca in England, and how they released the most horrible compilation after another!

That's part of what I was thinking about although forgetting about and for some reason combining those Decca ones as part of ABKCO for some reason.

Date: December 10, 2011 02:08

I knew about some of those, Rolled Gold and Stone Age. But some of those other ones...wow. That's almost on level with Elvis considering the era they all deal with!

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: December 10, 2011 14:39

Come On
Through the past darkly with cutted corners is a future wet dream to find...smoking smiley

My wet dream was the one WITH the white corners and dashed lines to be cut down to octagonal format on your own. I'm happy that I finally tracked a copy down last year. Imagine how many US and British soldiers might have used their scissors to destroy it's value and one can guess how few are around in their original form.

see here: [www.vinylstones.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-10 14:40 by silkcut1978_.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 10, 2011 17:24

Worth mentioning this early Decca release (1964) which only came out in Germany and France, I think :

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 10, 2011 17:51

There are too many compilations already. We do not need another release with the same hits re-packaged again! What I would like are some alternate versions and hidden songs that we all know about but the radio does not play. Stray Cat Blues and those great songs that only Stones fans really know.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: December 10, 2011 17:54

I saw a real bare-bones Abkco Stones compilation at Wal-Mart recently. Packaging looked awful. Here it is:

[www.walmart.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 10, 2011 17:57

Gazza
Worth mentioning this early Decca release (1964) which only came out in Germany and France, I think :

Only Germany and early sixties 70's in Holland and maybe other countries, never saw this one as a compilation ... isn't this one the same as other releases only an other sleeve?

I have the first '64 German release out of 7 I think ...bought from my Sister for 5 guilders (2.10 Euro) grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-10 18:15 by NICOS.

Posted by: keefbajaga ()
Date: December 10, 2011 19:04

NICOS
Gazza

Only Germany and early sixties 70's in Holland and maybe other countries, never saw this one as a compilation ... isn't this one the same as other releases only an other sleeve?

I have the first '64 German release out of 7 I think ...bought from my Sister for 5 guilders (2.10 Euro) grinning smiley

Me neither...I always considered this as an official (German) release... vind de voorkant trouwens mooier dan de achterkant

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 10, 2011 19:06

Blueranger
71Tele
There were some terrible ABKCKO compilations after the Stones left Klein, but one I really like is "No Stone Unturned". Lots of great B-sides like "Child Of The Moon" and things like "Who's Driving Your Plane", "Surprise Surprise" and "Congratulations". Oddly, it works for me as a legitimate Stones album.

Again, Klein had nothing to do with the Decca compilations from England in the seventies. Maybe he was greedy, but ABKCO has only released 9 or 10 compilations over the years.

Right you are, I meant DECCA compilations.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: December 10, 2011 19:21

keefbajaga
NICOS
Gazza

Me neither...I always considered this as an official (German) release... vind de voorkant trouwens mooier dan de achterkant

It was a unique German "compilation" but was released in France as well in 64 or 65. That said it's not the same as another release. With Collector's Only it took the other way round - compiled an released in France and a year or so later released in Germany as well (1980).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 11, 2011 00:20

That German "compilation" AROUND AND AROUND is a wonderful one, and I think it should as an "official" album in that market (as much, say, 12x5 in US market). At the time when I started to collect Stones albums here in Finland in early 80's that one was circulating everywhere. For a young 'completist' it was a bit oddity since any official book didn't say anything of it (all of them were based on UK/US discography). So I guess it was originally released in Scandinavia too (?). It is actually made of UK singles and EPs. It nicely filled the DECCA album catalog, like being the missing link between THE ROLLING STONES and THE ROLLING STONES NO. 2.

I wonder what the story of the album is? Was it that German market - like USA - wasn't good for EPs, so they preferred LP form?. Or since their first EP wasn't yet available in central Europe, around the time they relaesed their second EP in UK, they decided to 'use' the opportunity and release it with the previous EP to make a whole album?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-11 00:21 by Doxa.

Date: September 23, 2015 11:17

One of the first compilation I got was Rolled Gold back in the late 80s. I've had many good times listening to that compilation, which sort of was my Hot Rocks (Bought that one way later).

Finally, I went out and bought its companion, Rolled Gold, Volume 2. Listening to it now. I don't know what took me so long. It's awesome thumbs up

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 23, 2015 11:23

Congratulations, Dandelion!
I owned a copy in the mid-80s, but gave it away. What a shame! Last week I recreated the programm on CDR and it´s still great to listen to.

Date: September 23, 2015 11:36

I like record 2 better here than that of RG 1, since (apart from YCAGWYW) the 1968-69 songs are not the hits, but great, deep album cuts thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 23, 2015 23:04

Can DECCA still issue pre 1971 material or is it all ABKCO now?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 23, 2015 23:28

jlowe

I have the recently issued Rolled Gold +, which shows ABKCO and Decca

Date: September 23, 2015 23:33

treaclefingers
jlowe

Yes I thought Decca were still in on the act somehow, even if its ABKCO who own the master recordings.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 23, 2015 23:34

World wide "they" released a lot of compilations but I think this are the officially released by permission of the Stones

Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass)
Flowers (The Rolling Stones album) US
Through the Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2)
Hot Rocks 1964–1971
More Hot Rocks (Big Hits & Fazed Cookies)
Made in the Shade
Sucking in the Seventies
Rolled Gold: The Very Best of the Rolling Stones
Jump Back: The Best of The Rolling Stones
Rarities 1971–2003
Rewind (1971–1984)
Singles Collection: The London Years
Time Waits for No One: Anthology 1971–1977
Forty Licks
GRRR!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 23, 2015 23:45

jlowe
treaclefingers
jlowe

Yes I thought Decca were still in on the act somehow, even if its ABKCO who own the master recordings.

Decca doesn't really exist anymore, it's just a brand name owned by Universal who also distribute ABKCO. If ABCKO were to take their business elsewhere, say to Sony/BMG for example, then the Decca name would disappear from any future compilations.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: September 24, 2015 00:13

Doxa

That German "compilation" AROUND AND AROUND is a wonderful one, and I think it should as an "official" album in that market (as much, say, 12x5 in US market). At the time when I started to collect Stones albums here in Finland in early 80's that one was circulating everywhere. For a young 'completist' it was a bit oddity since any official book didn't say anything of it (all of them were based on UK/US discography). So I guess it was originally released in Scandinavia too (?). It is actually made of UK singles and EPs. It nicely filled the DECCA album catalog, like being the missing link between THE ROLLING STONES and THE ROLLING STONES NO. 2.

I wonder what the story of the album is? Was it that German market - like USA - wasn't good for EPs, so they preferred LP form?. Or since their first EP wasn't yet available in central Europe, around the time they relaesed their second EP in UK, they decided to 'use' the opportunity and release it with the previous EP to make a whole album?

- Doxa

Around and Around is a beautiful release. Released in nov 1964 as a special westgerman release. The official second LP release in Germany. Contained the german EP`s and singles from 1964.
Great collector`s item. First pressings with the thin cardboard cover and winered/oval gold DECCA labels are hard to find in a good condition (Gazza`s pictures show a late seventies pressing). But worth to have. This collection is a great one!

Tom

Date: September 24, 2015 00:24

Thanks Deltics....I seem to remember The Stones sued DECCA over an audit of the 40 Licks sales. I don't think they got any satisfaction.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 24, 2015 00:27

Best greatest hits title? My vote is "hot rocks"

Date: September 24, 2015 00:37

I'm listening to Collector's Only now. That's an excellent compilation.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 24, 2015 11:51

Here is a real goody and of course it´s long out of print. I guess there are some songs on it that aren´t even available on CD to this very day:

The Rest Of The Best

Date: September 24, 2015 11:55

HMS
Here is a real goody and of course it´s long out of print. I guess there are some songs on it that aren´t even available on CD to this very day:

The Rest Of The Best

A wonderful release indeed!

Date: September 24, 2015 11:57

whoooooa.... hold on a second. there is an italian version of as tears go by?????

Date: September 24, 2015 11:59

Turner68
whoooooa.... hold on a second. there is an italian version of as tears go by?????

[www.youtube.com]

LIVE:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 24, 2015 12:05

Just made my day thank you:-)

If you're going to record your songs in another language - can't go wrong with Italian :-)

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 24, 2015 12:14

Also, "Tell Me (2nd version)" recorded at Chess is, in fact, "Tell Me Baby (How Many Times)" a previously unreleased track. The Rest Of The Best is the only time this track has been made available. Probably included by "mistake".

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: September 24, 2015 13:12

Deltics
Also, "Tell Me (2nd version)" recorded at Chess is, in fact, "Tell Me Baby (How Many Times)" a previously unreleased track. The Rest Of The Best is the only time this track has been made available. Probably included by "mistake".

[www.youtube.com]

Has the Memphis Tennessee-version been officially released on a Stones album elsewhere? What about Da Doo Ron Ron?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1830
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home