Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1978: is fort worth the exception or the rule?
Posted by: nocomment ()
Date: December 2, 2011 21:17

we're still recovering from watching "some girls in texas". we saw em 3 times
in 1978, philly jfk, passaic, and the palladium, and we have zero memories
that even come close to fort worth. yes, drugs were involved. yes, we had
shit seats towards the back, full of echos and blocked views. but we thought the
stones were fun crap that year, not fun serious like fort worth. check that,
full on serious like fort worth. we admit we are boot-ignorant. never ever listen
to boots. so please, fill us in. what's the truth about 1978?

Re: 1978: is fort worth the exception or the rule?
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 2, 2011 21:23

I can't opine on the "truth about '78" as I was -2 years old, but maybe this show is better than what you saw because they knew they were being filmed that night.

Posted by: rob ()
Date: December 2, 2011 21:27

The Rule !

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 2, 2011 21:33

Exception

Can you name more tight shows or more sloppy shows from these tours:

All these tours had an amazing amount of sloppy shows.
It was before the 'stageshow' mentality hit management and Jagger.
Jagger was being wooed by record execs to leave the Stones and go out on his own in 1985. The Stones we see after that are what Jagger envisioned his solo 'stageshow' would've been if only successful outside of Japan.

Sloppy is what creates the greatest Stones moments and makes when they shine even better than you ever thought they could be.

Damn they were incredible then!

[writer's opinions]

Posted by: winter ()
Date: December 2, 2011 23:24

It's the exception, for two reasons: small venue, non-'sloppy' throughout show. Remember though, I'm sure the DVD sound quality, ie- hearing Wyman and the piano so well, is not what the people at the gig heard! If you weren't in the first 20 rows at a 1978 stadium show, I can't see too many people having an awesome time because there were no vid screens and they didn't play the big 'anthem'-type songs (SFTD, MR, YCAGWYW, GS, etc) and people were expecting another 30+ minutes of tunes. That said, I was in the front row on Keiths side of one of the supposedly 'worst' ones ever, and it was f*%king awesome!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 2, 2011 23:33

Trust me, it's the exception. Saw them in '78. It was a shambling mess, much like the band when you got past the success of Some Girls. There was a ton of pressure on them, and the tour was only a handful of dates, really. I don't think Mick was taking care of himself like he would on the '81 tour and afterwards. Keith looked like a ghost, with a long prison stretch hanging over his head. I think the small venue helped.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 2, 2011 23:43

There only shows that were worst than the ones I saw saw in 78 where the ones in 81.

Posted by: charliesgood ()
Date: December 3, 2011 00:01

I went from the ridicuolus ,Philly show ,to the sublime, Palladium show in a matter of day

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 3, 2011 00:08

More Hot Rocks
There only shows that were worst than the ones I saw saw in 78 where the ones in 81.

Yes, you stated that about 87 times on this board. Thank you very much, and please continue with the next subject.

Mathijs

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 3, 2011 00:11

winter
It's the exception, for two reasons: small venue,

Essential.

No stupid running around all over the place trying to fill the stage.

Just singing and working the small space.

We all know who I mean,

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 3, 2011 00:12

In all respect, Ft Worth never was nor is the best show of the 78 tour. There where really bad ones, really good ones, and mediocre ones. Ft Worth always was somewhat better than a mediocre one, but really not belonging to the good ones. The fact that the DVD is smack in your face in the best ever sound and image quality really makes this show shine.

Mathijs

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: December 3, 2011 00:23

There were several small venue shows on the '78 tour. The Warner Theatre held the same amount of people as the Ft. Worth venue, and there were several others that were slightly larger, but were still small venues. If Ft. Worth is the exception, it's not simply because of the size of the venue, that is assuming the other small venue shows were not as good. Which I have no first-hand knowledge of.

Date: December 3, 2011 00:27

Mathijs
In all respect, Ft Worth never was nor is the best show of the 78 tour. There where really bad ones, really good ones, and mediocre ones. Ft Worth always was somewhat better than a mediocre one, but really not belonging to the good ones. The fact that the DVD is smack in your face in the best ever sound and image quality really makes this show shine.

Mathijs

cmon details. if fort worth aint one of the good ones, name em. and on what basis.

cant believe they played much better than this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-03 00:29 by nocomment.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: December 3, 2011 00:34

Mathijs

Mathijs

Yes Mathijs, the dvd really does that amazingly. And all these years later, we can say bootleg XYZ 'proves' show XYZ was one of the best, but was it really good to the half of the stadium that just saw little dots onstage, heard boomy stadium sound and a shorter-than-expected setlist? Conversely there are those who saw one of the 'worst shows ever' (from boots and audience feedback), but had the time of their life down front (maybe only wishing that the show were a few songs longer). This DVD isn't historical fiction, but it certainly doesn't represent what the tour or even this night really sounded like and looked like, due to, as you said, the exemplary sound and image quality of the dvd.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 3, 2011 00:40

GravityBoy
winter
It's the exception, for two reasons: small venue,

Essential.

No stupid running around all over the place trying to fill the stage.

Just singing and working the small space.

We all know who I mean,

Blondie can be such an idiot.

Date: December 3, 2011 00:43

winter
but was it really good to the half of the stadium that just saw little dots onstage, heard boomy stadium sound

That's a good point.

I saw them at Stafford Bingley Hall in 1976 and the sound was absymal, it was so bad you could not tell what song they were playing most the time (I'm not exaggerating).

I've hear some sound desk boots of the same concert and it was totally audible.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 3, 2011 01:07

It happened before my time, but here in S. Calif. when I talk to those who saw the Stones on that tour at Anaheim Stadium, they talk about how Mick asked the audience to throw their shoes on stage...and the crowd threw their shoes on the stage! And it was apparently a hilarious event. I would have liked to have been there for that, even if the music was ropey.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: December 3, 2011 01:19

GravityBoy
winter
but was it really good to the half of the stadium that just saw little dots onstage, heard boomy stadium sound

That's a good point.

I saw them at Stafford Bingley Hall in 1976 and the sound was absymal, it was so bad you could not tell what song they were playing most the time (I'm not exaggerating).

Really? I didn't know there were any recordings from that Stafford show circulating, especially a soundboard.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: December 3, 2011 01:30

I don't think there is a "rule" on this tour in terms of performance quality. You could pose the "exception or rule" question about shows from alot of other tours, such as the '72 tour where smokin' hot performances were the rule, but in '78 there were alot of up's and down's. I think the '75 tour was alot like that as well. The Stones could be great on some nights, and really bad on others. I always saw the '78 Fort Worth show as a really rocking but sloppy performance. I really love the energy, and would consider it to be one of the better '78 performances but also fairly representative of the way the band played live back in those days.

By comparison, when I think of the '75 tour, I think of that L.A. 7/11/75 show as being one of, if not the absolute worst, show of the tour. And it's the only complete pro-shot document from that tour. I think for many, the footage from that show has given the '75 tour a bad name. But that was a really bad night, and the difference between that show and any one of about 10 or 15 really hot shows from '75 is like night and day. I feel the '78 tour is similar but not as long, and the relatively low number of shows means that maybe they never settled in as much as on some of the longer tours, making the tour a little more uneven than others.

Date: December 3, 2011 03:32

nocomment
we're still recovering from watching "some girls in texas". we saw em 3 times
in 1978, philly jfk, passaic, and the palladium, and we have zero memories
that even come close to fort worth. yes, drugs were involved. yes, we had
shit seats towards the back, full of echos and blocked views. but we thought the
stones were fun crap that year, not fun serious like fort worth. check that,
full on serious like fort worth. we admit we are boot-ignorant. never ever listen
to boots. so please, fill us in. what's the truth about 1978?

It blows me away NO Comment, that I was at all three of those shows. (I might have passed you a joint.) From the boots I'd say that Memphis and Lexington were very good. And "I think) Greensboro, Detroit, St Paul, Houston.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: December 3, 2011 03:53

Saw the Soldier Field show and enjoyed it for a number of reasons (July, Peter Tosh as one of the openers, my friend "talking" to Phil Donahue and Marlo Thomas above us in the press box), but my fave memory was watching a drained Keith going down the stage stairs and sprawling on the ground while the rest of the band, including MJ, milled around until he jumped up and pointed up the stairs for the encore. Probably the first time I realized who was running the music side of the show.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 3, 2011 04:04

I wonder if we'd view the '75 LA Forum show differently if they were able to upgrade the video and match it up with the soundboard?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: December 3, 2011 04:33

I've said it many time here (and I don't care who likes it or not) but I love the outdoor/stadium boots from 1978, warts and all. I love the JFK gig, Buffalo, Chicago, New Orleans, and the first Anaheim show is better than you think. I was there for that one. I don't have the Boulder show (can anyone help me get one?).
I'm still waiting to see one damn picture for Boulder, too.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: December 3, 2011 06:15

Based soley on the recordings I've heard: The Live in Texas Fort Worth show is superb, but I think Detroit '78 was even better, performance-wise.

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: December 3, 2011 08:48

I've posted here before that I was at the Anaheim "shoe show." It's pretty cool that it's apparently famous in some way, even mentioned fifteen or twenty years ago by Ronnie as one of his most memorable moments with the Stones in Rolling Stone. As for myself, I was very disappointed by my first Stones show. Could have been that it was a very hot day, the Stones were very late (as usual), most of the show was in daylight, and we had been partying very hard - and/or it could have been they sucked. Lol. In any case, I was floored when I watched Live in Texas the other day. A completely different show than the one I remember witnessing. It took almost 30 years (2006) at the same venue before I saw another as bad. My take is that they've always had good shows/bad shows. I have a feeling that they realized at some point that if they're going to jack the ticket prices as high as they have, they had to develop into a "stage act" and be consistent, or people would start feeling ripped off, which wouldn't do much for the brand. They pulled it off, for the most part, until the last tour, during which I think we started witnessing the wheels starting to fall off. Anyway, did I answer the original posters question in here somewhere? Hope so! lol (again)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-03 08:49 by bigbang.

Date: December 3, 2011 08:55

Palace Revolution 2000
It blows me away NO Comment, that I was at all three of those shows. (I might have passed you a joint.)

yeah, especially if you make it a superfecta...

peter tosh, my father's place, long island ?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: December 3, 2011 10:03

bigbang
I've posted here before that I was at the Anaheim "shoe show." It's pretty cool that it's apparently famous in some way, even mentioned fifteen or twenty years ago by Ronnie as one of his most memorable moments with the Stones in Rolling Stone. As for myself, I was very disappointed by my first Stones show. Could have been that it was a very hot day, the Stones were very late (as usual), most of the show was in daylight, and we had been partying very hard - and/or it could have been they sucked. Lol. In any case, I was floored when I watched Live in Texas the other day. A completely different show than the one I remember witnessing. It took almost 30 years (2006) at the same venue before I saw another as bad. My take is that they've always had good shows/bad shows. I have a feeling that they realized at some point that if they're going to jack the ticket prices as high as they have, they had to develop into a "stage act" and be consistent, or people would start feeling ripped off, which wouldn't do much for the brand. They pulled it off, for the most part, until the last tour, during which I think we started witnessing the wheels starting to fall off. Anyway, did I answer the original posters question in here somewhere? Hope so! lol (again)

I was at the July 23rd show. I checked the weather records and it was 104 degrees that day. Let's say it was 10 degrees less for the sake of argument. That's still 94 degrees. I was there, and believe me, it sucked the life out of you. Sitting there in the hot sun, and most of the crowd had their pot and smuggled-in booze and having to sit through the Outlaws and Peter Tosh it's no wonder they were knackered. Mick mentions it at the show: "Is it hot enough?" I've always maintained they didn't go on until the sun set below Anaheim Stadium that day.
And BTW, it was 101 degrees on the 24th.

Date: December 3, 2011 10:07

Tumblin_Dice_07
GravityBoy
winter

That's a good point.

Really? I didn't know there were any recordings from that Stafford show circulating, especially a soundboard.

There were two Stafford shows, it was a while ago but there was a website that had snippits of each song and you could buy them (illegally of course)/ They were good quality so the assumption of soundboard was mine, sorry of it's not correct.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-03 10:08 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 3, 2011 10:16

Mathijs

And Mathijs what'd be your 78 "Hall Of Fame"? Imho they played a string of fantastic shows between July 4 and July 11...

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: December 3, 2011 10:44

tomk
I was at the July 23rd show. I checked the weather records and it was 104 degrees that day. Let's say it was 10 degrees less for the sake of argument. That's still 94 degrees. I was there, and believe me, it sucked the life out of you. Sitting there in the hot sun, and most of the crowd had their pot and smuggled-in booze and having to sit through the Outlaws and Peter Tosh it's no wonder they were knackered. Mick mentions it at the show: "Is it hot enough?" I've always maintained they didn't go on until the sun set below Anaheim Stadium that day.
And BTW, it was 101 degrees on the 24th.

We were up front near the stage both days. Getting there before sunrise to line up so we could get up front and then standing on the hot sun all day certainly did not help. That said, the three hour wait between the last act before the Stones was brutal. I don't even think they were out of bed yet as the paper showed the leaving a hotel in West Hollywood quite late in the afternoon of the 23rd. They were plain sloppy on the 23rd and I thought much stronger on the 24th. Lots of booze on-stage and I think they were having quite a party!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1811
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home