Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

73 Brussels - Backup Vocals on Heartbreaker
Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: November 30, 2011 23:58

Who is doing the extra "Oh YEAH"s during this song. Doesn't sound like Keith and it wouldn't have been Billy Preston, right?

Re: 73 Brussels - Backup Vocals on Heartbreaker
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: December 1, 2011 00:08

Billy Preston

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 1, 2011 10:03

I am still not sure whether the doo doo doo doo doo's actually were played from a tape. Does not sound live to me (reference: London version on the old BRUSSELS AFFAIR).

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 1, 2011 10:09

saltoftheearth
I am still not sure whether the doo doo doo doo doo's actually were played from a tape. Does not sound live to me (reference: London version on the old BRUSSELS AFFAIR).

From a tape ? Imagine how difficult that would be in 1973....when they didn't have "click clacks" to make sure the speed was the same every night! And starting the tape at the correct second as well.....LOL

Date: December 1, 2011 10:11

saltoftheearth

It's as live as it gets - with warts and all...

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: December 1, 2011 13:32

What i notice is especially interesting is that the 'doo doo doo's actually come in initially after the first verse on the official BRUSSELS AFFAIR, but always after the second verse on the studio version and the London 73 version. Maybe the Stones eventually felt the song worked more effectively live that way. I have no doubt that the 'doo doo doo's are live, though. Still think Taylor is too low in the official BRUSSELS AFFAIR mix, even though i am aware many of the songs originate from the evening show, and not the previously bootlegged afternoon BRUSSELS AFFAIR show.

Posted by: mandrax1972 ()
Date: December 1, 2011 22:19

as a long time stones fan, isn't ironic the stones are releasing the brussels affair tapes now? Not sure about you, but I have been listening to this for close to 35 years. I am glad other people can experience it, but real stones fans have been listening to this for a long, long time.

Brussels Affair
Posted by: mandrax1972 ()
Date: December 1, 2011 22:27

as a long time stones fan, isn't ironic the stones are releasing the brussels affair tapes now? Not sure about you, but I have been listening to this for close to 35 years. I am glad other people can experience it, but real stones fans have been listening to this for a long, long time.

Re: Brussels Affair
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 1, 2011 22:38

mandrax1972

a good part of this you haven't...at least not in this quality....

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: December 1, 2011 22:39

Edward Twining
What i notice is especially interesting is that the 'doo doo doo's actually come in initially after the first verse on the official BRUSSELS AFFAIR, but always after the second verse on the studio version and the London 73 version. Maybe the Stones eventually felt the song worked more effectively live that way. I have no doubt that the 'doo doo doo's are live, though. Still think Taylor is too low in the official BRUSSELS AFFAIR mix, even though i am aware many of the songs originate from the evening show, and not the previously bootlegged afternoon BRUSSELS AFFAIR show.

There were occasional differences of opinion within the band on this at times during the tour.
Also, one or two times there were disagreements about whether JJF had two or four lines in the third verse.
All part of the charm.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 1, 2011 23:09

mandrax1972

How is this ironic?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 1, 2011 23:45

treaclefingers
mandrax1972

How is this ironic?

not this again. i thought we already covered "irony" in an earlier seminar. maybe mandrax overslept...

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: December 2, 2011 06:21

"Mandrax overslept" is not irony.
"Speed1972" overslept might be irony.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 2, 2011 07:20

Smokey

Jeez guys, I already did my irony-ing this week.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 2, 2011 07:29

Erik_Snow
saltoftheearth

From a tape ? Imagine how difficult that would be in 1973....when they didn't have "click clacks" to make sure the speed was the same every night! And starting the tape at the correct second as well.....LOL

I recall that The Who used backing tapes in 1973 to perform Quadrophenia, to disastrous results. The band got out of synch with the tapes and there were fistfights backstage. This was all before MIDI and digital technology made playing with backing tracks much easier.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 2, 2011 09:56

Edward Twining

Yes, and there is that mistake during the concert at Hamburg (THE STARS IN THE SKY THEY NEVER LIE) where Mick starts the doo doo doo's but is drowned out by the band and has to stop. I always enjoy that because it's really live!

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: December 3, 2011 22:39

mandrax1972

Well the a large percentage of this material has never been available as a soundboard. I mention this because you've made a couple of comments that give the impression that you may not be aware of this official release being mostly different performances from the bootleg. If I'm mistaken then I apologise.

The bootleg Brussels Affair is taken from the 1st Brussels 10/17 show with a few tracks taken from London on 9/9/73 ("Gimme Shelter", "Happy", "Heartbreaker", "Street Fighting Man", maybe one more). This new "official" Brussels Affair contains only "Brown Sugar", "Midnight Rambler", and "Street Fighting Man" from the 1st 10/17 Brussels show. The rest of the songs on this official release are taken from the 2nd Brussels show on the same date.

There were a handful of songs from the 2nd Brussels show that were available on different bootlegs in pretty dry soundboard quality (not the best by any means) including "Gimme Shelter", "Happy", "Tumbling Dice", "Star Star", "All Down The Line" and "Rip This Joint" but the quality is far inferior to the official release.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: December 4, 2011 02:33

71Tele
Smokey

Jeez guys, I already did my irony-ing this week.

And I don't even have an iron....

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 4, 2011 07:09

71Tele
Erik_Snow
saltoftheearth

I recall that The Who used backing tapes in 1973 to perform Quadrophenia, to disastrous results. The band got out of synch with the tapes and there were fistfights backstage. This was all before MIDI and digital technology made playing with backing tracks much easier.

Years ago I saw some Who footage where they were rehearsing for the Quadrophenia tour and Roger casually suggested maybe they "needed a little help" -- as in an extra person to play keyboards. Townshend vehemently disagreed with a curt, "No f*cking keyboards on stage...we don't need 'em!" I've never seen Pete look so pissed. Funny that a few years later I think it was Pete who brought in his buddy John 'Rabbit' Bundrick to play keyboards on their first post-Moon tour in '79.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2444
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home