Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Rolling Stones at the BBC
Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: November 29, 2011 20:34

i know it's been booted for years...but will it ever be officially released?

Re: The Rolling Stones at the BBC
Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 29, 2011 21:27

I would appreciate it, even the sound quality of the boots is great on the most tracks.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 29, 2011 21:35

I would love it, and I haven't even heard the bootlegs. Most every band/artist that has appeared on the BBC has an album (more often than not double album) of their performances, I don't see why the Stones shouldn't.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: November 29, 2011 21:41

NoCode0680
I would love it, and I haven't even heard the bootlegs. Most every band/artist that has appeared on the BBC has an album (more often than not double album) of their performances, I don't see why the Stones shouldn't.

Many people consider the BBC boots to be essential.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 29, 2011 22:04

Fine if they release them but no remastering as they sound as they should ...warm radio AM broadcasting

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 29, 2011 22:06

texas fan
NoCode0680

Many people consider the BBC boots to be essential.

All the more reason to release them. I'm personally not big on bootlegs. Especially with the Stones. There is SO much out there, it's like wading through a sea of stuff, with varying degrees of quality. Even some of the bootlegs that are praised for their quality I find unlistenable. Back Strap Jacket is the only one I ever really listen to.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 1, 2011 00:53

Beat Beat Beat at the Beeb, that's all you need, doubt if anything released will sound much better.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 1, 2011 03:37

The question would be what's in it for the Stones? Aren't most of the cuts covers that they wouldn't get royalties on? And even so, the ones they wrote at the time are embroiled with the ABCKO era.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 1, 2011 12:36

I'd much rather they released the Radio Luxembourg session they recorded on march 18th 1964. I believe Bill has an acetate. Track listing is said to be
1 Bye Bye Johnny 2 I Wanna Be Your Man 3 Diddley Daddy 4 Little By Little 5 Look What You’ve Done 6 Mona 7 Not Fade Away 8 Now I’ve Got A Witness 9 Pretty Thing
10 Walking The Dog 11 You Better Move On 12 Reelin’ And Rockin’ 13 Roll Over Beethoven 14 Route 66
The BBC sessions are widely available if you want them and any release would almost certainly not be an audio upgrade as the BBC retained so few tracks. I think everything they have was aired on Stones at the beeb. The Luxembourg recordings probably have a bit of snap,crackle and pop from the acetate but would essentially be a good quality studio recording of the live band in action. Plus there wouldn't be the legal problems of licencing the BBC tracks (and Bill could get an extra bonus as owner of the acetate ! ). ABKCO may not be involved as the recordings presumably aren't covered by the decca contract. And finally we get to hear some new recordings not in circulation.
Of course a triple cd featuring all BBC and Radio Luxembourg recordings would be even better.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: December 1, 2011 14:05

Very interesting Ash,did"nt know about Luxembourg ,I "d love to here that ,up there with rare Station Hotel gig.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 1, 2011 14:59

There are several BBC performances that were never bootlegged. Whether they still exist in the BBC's archives is another thing, of course.

Anyone remember this story from January 1998?

[www.iorr.org]

(see entries for 4th and 7th January 1998)

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 1, 2011 15:07

ash
I'd much rather they released the Radio Luxembourg session they recorded on march 18th 1964......

Agree with you on that, completely. And judging by the 4 tracks available from the next day; March 19th 1964 - at Camden Theatre - the band was in terrific shape this "week". And what an excellent setlist

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 1, 2011 15:15

ash
I'd much rather they released the Radio Luxembourg session they recorded on march 18th 1964. I believe Bill has an acetate. Track listing is said to be
1 Bye Bye Johnny 2 I Wanna Be Your Man 3 Diddley Daddy 4 Little By Little 5 Look What You’ve Done 6 Mona 7 Not Fade Away 8 Now I’ve Got A Witness 9 Pretty Thing
10 Walking The Dog 11 You Better Move On 12 Reelin’ And Rockin’ 13 Roll Over Beethoven 14 Route 66
The BBC sessions are widely available if you want them and any release would almost certainly not be an audio upgrade as the BBC retained so few tracks. I think everything they have was aired on Stones at the beeb. The Luxembourg recordings probably have a bit of snap,crackle and pop from the acetate but would essentially be a good quality studio recording of the live band in action. Plus there wouldn't be the legal problems of licencing the BBC tracks (and Bill could get an extra bonus as owner of the acetate ! ). ABKCO may not be involved as the recordings presumably aren't covered by the decca contract. And finally we get to hear some new recordings not in circulation.
Of course a triple cd featuring all BBC and Radio Luxembourg recordings would be even better.

The Stones at the Beeb which was aired in the mid-80s only had about 15 tracks as far as I remember. The BBC Sessions boot I've got has 57 tracks. And even that isn't all of them.

Date: December 1, 2011 15:15

Gazza
There are several BBC performances that were never bootlegged. Whether they still exist in the BBC's archives is another thing, of course.

Anyone remember this story from January 1998?

[www.iorr.org]

(see entries for 4th and 7th January 1998)

Yeah, Dust My Pyramids smiling smiley That would have been something...

+ Stones fans in Britain listening to the BBC World Services suddenly woke up, when they broadcasted bits of Cops And Robbers at about 4am this morning, as part of a presentation of the just discovered BBC tapes. David Lister from the UK paper The Independent was the first outside BBC to get into their archives to hear these tapes, and his comments after listening to 20 or so songs, are: It's fascinating, raw, earthy blues and rock'n'roll, with moments of surprising tenderness.. They now claim to have found up to 40 songs. See more news about these tapes published here some days ago...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-01 15:16 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 1, 2011 15:25

BTW here's a list of what the BBC hold including track times and record date.

The Rolling Stones (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction 3'45" 20.08.65
The Rolling Stones 2120 South Michigan Avenue 2'37" 8.10.64
The Rolling Stones Baby We Gotta Good Thing Going 1'45" 20.08.65
The Rolling Stones Come On 2'00" 23.09.63
The Rolling Stones Cops And Robbers 3'41" 19.03.64
The Rolling Stones Cry To Me 3'10" 20.08.65
The Rolling Stones Down The Road Apiece 2'00" 01.03.65
The Rolling Stones Everybody Needs Somebody To Love 3'30" 01.03.65
The Rolling Stones Fanny Mae 2'13" 20.08.65
The Rolling Stones Honky Tonk Women 3'09" 03.07.69
The Rolling Stones Memphis Tennesse 2'19" 23.09.63
The Rolling Stones Mercy, Mercy 2'50" 20.08.65
The Rolling Stones Mona 2'48" 19.03.64
The Rolling Stones Not Fade Away 2'03" 1.03.65
The Rolling Stones Roll Over Beethoven 2'15" 23.09.63
The Rolling Stones Route 66 2'28" 19.03.64
The Rolling Stones The Last Time 3'09" 01.03.65
The Rolling Stones The Spider And The Fly 3'13" 20.08.65
The Rolling Stones You'd Better Move On 2'44" 19.03.64

This is from their database. A couple of the dates are wrong but are the same versions we know. The database was used so other worldwide radio stations could peruse and licence for broadcast. Of course BBC licence fee payers are not allowed to hear this stuff !! Doh !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home