Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
Live in Texas better Than Brussels Affair?
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: November 28, 2011 02:56

I just finished watching Live in Texas, loud, very loud, with a some heavy duty headphones, on my ipad... The first two or three songs the Stones were a bit cold but did they burned the rest of the way.

Two different bands ... I have great weakness for Bill and Charlie's playing on the 78, tour... I like the approach, the attitude... keith's guitar playing on Brussels its better....

Re: Live in Texas better Than Brussels Affair?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 28, 2011 03:01

it's better if you like it better; otherwise i'm afraid we're gonna have to say that it's not better.

Date: November 28, 2011 03:06

StonesTod
it's better if you like it better; otherwise i'm afraid we're gonna have to say that it's not better.

LoL which one you like better

Date: November 28, 2011 03:06

Loudei
StonesTod

i like them both better

Date: November 28, 2011 03:11

i also like the some girls deluxe disc better...and the exile one, too. and pretty much most all their stuff.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 28, 2011 03:42

Two different bands is right...They never approached the tightness and intensity of 1973. '78 was the beginning of the ragged (but usually right) Stones. Lots of fun, but nothing like the band of 1973. We have some apples to apples here: HTW, Happy, Brown Sugar. None of the '78 versions hold a candle to Brussels. What works best on Live In Texas is the new material, which they were clearly having a blast playing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-28 03:51 by 71Tele.

Date: November 28, 2011 03:43

tele says no

Date: November 28, 2011 03:50

StonesTod
tele says no

Yes, I suppose I could have put it that way.

Date: November 28, 2011 03:51

i strive for brevity

Date: November 28, 2011 03:51

StonesTod
i strive for brevity

and you usually succeed gloriously.

Date: November 28, 2011 04:05

Miss You sounds awesome.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: November 28, 2011 04:11

I have to say the new material was performed very well on 'Some Girls' but then so was the new stuff from 'Brussels'. So which do I like better? Ask the same question on a different day and and I would probably give a different answer. Today it's 'Brussels'...

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 28, 2011 04:19

Both shows are top-shelf. But Brussels is as good as I've ever heard them play.

What's interesting in comparing them is the differences between Keef's playing in the two shows. He plays his somewhat rote junk licks as well as he ever played them in Brussels, but he seems more actively involved in the music in Texas.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: November 28, 2011 04:47

ab

What's interesting in comparing them is the differences between Keef's playing in the two shows. He plays his somewhat rote junk licks as well as he ever played them in Brussels, but he seems more actively involved in the music in
Texas.

Agree completely. I love Mick Taylor's playing. Don't know if I've ever said anything that made it sound otherwise, but the greater rhythm/lead seperation in the Taylor era seemed to hold Keith back in my opinion. Keith still got his fills in with Waddy doing lead in the Winos.

So I guess I like Texas better, but Jagger's way better on Brussels.

[www.non-filters.com]

[www.non-filters.com]

Date: November 28, 2011 04:47

Keith screwed up a couple of solos on texas....

ab

What's interesting in comparing them is the differences between Keef's playing in the two shows. He plays his somewhat rote junk licks as well as he ever played them in Brussels, but he seems more actively involved in the music in Texas.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 28, 2011 05:23

Loudei

ab

No question, he's sloppier in Texas, but he's a lot more spontaneous and reacting to the rest of the band, whereas in Brussels he's merely the greatest rhythm guitarist that ever lived.

Date: November 28, 2011 05:26

ab
Loudei

ab

No question, he's sloppier in Texas, but he's a lot more spontaneous and reacting to the rest of the band, whereas in Brussels he's merely the greatest rhythm guitarist that ever lived.

I think the comparison of these two shows makes a good case that the Stones were a better band when they were slightly less spontaneous.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: November 28, 2011 05:28

Live In Texas is the greatest rocknroll concert film of all time. I've been waiting for its release ever since I heard Handsome Girls. Had no idea how great it would be. I'm sure a multi-cam concert film of Brussels would be cool too, but not nearly as intense and awesome as Texas 78. The main thing for me: The dueling guitars. Keith and Ronnie are on an even playing field. Its glorious.

Date: November 28, 2011 05:30

flacnvinyl
Live In Texas is the greatest rocknroll concert film of all time. I've been waiting for its release ever since I heard Handsome Girls. Had no idea how great it would be. I'm sure a multi-cam concert film of Brussels would be cool too, but not nearly as intense and awesome as Texas 78. The main thing for me: The dueling guitars. Keith and Ronnie are on an even playing field. Its glorious.

Keith Richards + Mick Taylor + Brussels = even more glorious

Date: November 28, 2011 09:57

Texas is better, imo. But it is a bit unfair to compare, because we don't have the visuals for Brussels.

However, I stronly disagree that BS, TD, Star Star or Happy are any better on Brussels. I also disagree about the tightness being superior in Brussels. It is a rather loose show.

But I love them both.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-28 09:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 28, 2011 10:28

StonesTod
i like them both better

That about sums it up for me perfectly.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: November 28, 2011 11:56

StonesTod
Loudei
StonesTod

i like them both better

For better or worse, you better tell me what's going on in this dialogue...winking smiley

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: November 28, 2011 16:26

This board is awesome. Think about it.. We all come here to nerd out on how awesome our favorite band is and here we are talking about vault releases. Game on!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 28, 2011 16:47

They are both splendid in there own way

Date: November 28, 2011 19:05

DandelionPowderman
Texas is better, imo. But it is a bit unfair to compare, because we don't have the visuals for Brussels.

However, I stronly disagree that BS, TD, Star Star or Happy are any better on Brussels. I also disagree about the tightness being superior in Brussels. It is a rather loose show.

But I love them both.

What we have here, DP, is one of them "agree to disagree" situations...but I love them both too.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 28, 2011 19:32

There's been a lot of great performances through the years, imo Brussels stands out in front all others. I say that if I had to really choose. In the same way it's hard to pick a favorite song becasue there are so many. Life is good!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 28, 2011 19:54

I'd like to compare them to a 1972 concert... (Miiiiiiick?) >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 28, 2011 19:57

They're both ace. No need in saying which is the better of the two; for me, anyway

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 28, 2011 20:17

Brussels for me and it's not even close.............

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 28, 2011 22:25

Right you are about the 1972 Tour!! Mick indeed! If I had to choose, I would certainly go with the Brussels Affair because in my opinion, MT was their musical pinnacle. Love In Vain solo is all the proof you'll ever need.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2033
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home