Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Should Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor play hard to get?
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 24, 2011 15:57

If it is true that Jagger and Richards really want Bill and Mick to collaborate with them for the 50th birthday celebration next year should those 2 call their lawyers and negotiate a deal by asking lot of $$$ or should they just come in and enjoy and celebrate without expecting anything more than the pleasure of playing with their former rolling stones mates?
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Re: Should Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor play hard to get?
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 24, 2011 16:16

I got the impression that Bill is pretty much having pleasure of playing with his mates in
his Rhythm Kings band. So I don't know in how far he considers playing with the Stones a better
gig. Taylor, on the other hand, could use a pedestal to lift his carreer a bit.

But there is a big IF involved in your question. Just wait and see, just wait and see.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 24, 2011 16:20

i dunno. it's never worked for me. maybe my asking price of $3 per gig is just unrealistic...

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: November 24, 2011 16:26

great topic.
i think they should play hard to get. how often do you get a chance to return to the Stones? might as well milk it for all they can get, right?

Bill Wyman should ask for:
a million dollars per show
7 monkeys
a 5 minute set before the Stones come on where he gives a lecture about the glorious and enthralling pastime of metal-detecting.

Mick Taylor should ask for:
a million dollars per show
new shoes
a life time supply of scrambled eggs.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: November 24, 2011 17:42

It sounds like from Wyman's new quote in Rolling Stone, found in another thread, he would be considering a return for the 50th.

From a couple of interviews Wyman has given over the years since he quit, he was offered a substantial sum of money to participate, (or at least it was implied). Of course those were "world tours", but it suggests the standard is set, for him at least (to be scaled down accordingly, depending on the level of involvement or touring).

We know Wyman doesn't particularly wish to fly around the world again of course.

Taylor is generally on record as being open to working with the Stones again. Surely he could use whatever income would be offered, if it was modestly reasonable.

I'd say Wyman and Taylor are just about in the bag, IF that's what the Jagger and Keith want.

It's much harder to speculate how Wyman and Taylor might respond to half-assed invitations to dick around with Keith. On the one hand, one might figure, "why not", but.... I will guess the odds go down at that point..

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: November 24, 2011 18:25

No they shouldn't play hard to get! If they do, Mick may just say "Oh well, F*!k it" and they'd be out. This would be something really special if it happens, I don't want to see it blown!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 24, 2011 19:21

My guess is that Wyman will show up at one of the rehearsals and he'll gage how things are between him and Keith and they'll jam a little bit. I think Wyman would would obviously want to be compensated for any participation, either studio or stage, but I don't think he would try to hold them up. He would not want to be taken advantage of, but I think he'd maybe like to show his kids why he's so damn famous to begin with. It's too late in the game for it not to be about the music.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 24, 2011 19:33

No. Stop comparing cocks, jam together and make us happy!

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 25, 2011 10:38

I do not see any reason why a musician should participate in a successful band without asking for a fair sum of recompensation (at latest when he appears in a concert or at a recording session).
Bill Wyman has often been considered as greedy but I think the business aspects in a world-famous band are substantial items of interest. Same goes for Mick Taylor in respect to royalties.
Who would not be frustrated if he brought in substantial ideas for a body of work and others would make the profit?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 25, 2011 10:53

Are you kidding? There are a million better guitar players and bass players who would jump at the chance and Bill and little Mick know this all too well. If they don't jump on it, I'd gladly take over for MT. I would probably only have to learn a half dozen songs, I alreasdy know all the rest. lol peace.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 25, 2011 11:00

Why would they? Jeff Beck has been quoted as saying that he refused to tour with Mick as Mick was only willing to pay him session musician rates; hopefully Mick has learned from this.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 25, 2011 13:08

Naturalust
Are you kidding? There are a million better guitar players and bass players who would jump at the chance and Bill and little Mick know this all too well. If they don't jump on it, I'd gladly take over for MT. I would probably only have to learn a half dozen songs, I alreasdy know all the rest. lol peace.

Ok Naturalust, post a demo here, show your Taylor skills an let us judge. winking smiley

Date: November 25, 2011 13:23

Amsterdamned
Naturalust
Are you kidding? There are a million better guitar players and bass players who would jump at the chance and Bill and little Mick know this all too well. If they don't jump on it, I'd gladly take over for MT. I would probably only have to learn a half dozen songs, I already know all the rest. lol peace.

Ok Naturalust, post a demo here, show your Taylor skills an let us judge. winking smiley

Will do Amsterdamned, I will have to make a friggin Video to do that although. Unless you know of a way I can post an audio demo? Do you have a requested song? No worries , Stay tuned. peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-25 13:36 by Naturalust.

Date: November 25, 2011 13:37

Naturalust
Amsterdamned
Naturalust
Are you kidding? There are a million better guitar players and bass players who would jump at the chance and Bill and little Mick know this all too well. If they don't jump on it, I'd gladly take over for MT. I would probably only have to learn a half dozen songs, I already know all the rest. lol peace.

Will do Amsterdamned, I will have to make a friggin Video to do that although. Unless you know of a way I can post an audio demo? Do you have a requested song? No worries , Stay tuned. peace.

Go here Soundcloud, upload and there you go. Good luck! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-25 13:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 25, 2011 13:46

Naturalust
Amsterdamned
Naturalust

GyyyO SFTD, second solo, and Love in Vain, the slide. thumbs up

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: November 25, 2011 13:53

Bill's problem with being afraid to fly is a serious matter. He will NOT go to the states to perform because of that problem. On the other hand he said quite a few times if they would ask him he would go on board for some shows. But they didn't. He tried a lot to make some money out of the past f.i. his book 10 years ago. I think he would be glad to cash in also from the early days.
Mick Taylor needs money. He would not be too stupid to put it down. Problem is, he would fit except he would remain standing on stage next to the horn sction with Bobby Keys

Date: November 25, 2011 14:00

jamesjagger

Mick Taylor needs money. He would not be too stupid to put it down. Problem is, he would fit except he would remain standing on stage next to the horn sction with Bobby Keys

That would imply MT playing the second fiddle? For god sake I hope he doesn't.

Date: November 25, 2011 14:02

Amsterdamned
jamesjagger

That's exactly what he did (standing next to the horn section) when he was in the Stones! And he didn't play second fiddle back then, right? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-25 14:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 25, 2011 14:06

DandelionPowderman
Amsterdamned
jamesjagger

That's exactly what he did (standing next to the horn section) when he was in the Stones! And he didn't play second fiddle back then, right? winking smiley

Now you confuse me a bit. His noodling sounds like the first fiddle to me even if Mick would be behind the curtains.

Date: November 25, 2011 14:13

Yeah, you must be confused grinning smiley Read my post again, or wait - I'll be more precise:

Remember, he was noodling AND standing still next to the horn section when he played in the Stones.

In spite of his lack of acrobatics, he didn't play second fiddle winking smiley

Date: November 25, 2011 16:29

Amsterdamned
Naturalust
Amsterdamned
Naturalust

GyyyO SFTD, second solo, and Love in Vain, the slide. thumbs up

Absolutely no problem, I'm ON it. Stay tuned. Thanks Amsterdamned and thanks for the link DandelionPowderman. peace.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-25 16:34 by Naturalust.

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: November 25, 2011 16:40

No they shouldn't play hard to get if they don't want to be part of the anniversary its their loss.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 25, 2011 17:14

Bill is apparently waiting for the phone to ring...The Stones better not lose this opportunity to enlist the full Exile-era lineup for one last fling.

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: November 25, 2011 17:42

Is Mick Taylor the guitarist he used to be?

Date: November 25, 2011 17:48

71Tele
Bill is apparently waiting for the phone to ring...The Stones better not lose this opportunity to enlist the full Exile-era lineup for one last fling.

No chance of Nicky and probably not Jim Price either.

Date: November 25, 2011 17:52

mitchflorida1

Are the Rolling Stones the band they used to be?
They were in their mid 20-ties with Taylor, and that was their musical peak.
You cannot expect the same RS performance after them doing another 2 decades of booze, pills and powders. I expect Taylor to be competent for the job.

Date: November 25, 2011 17:52

mitchflorida1

No...and neither are Ron Wood or Keith Richards, so what's your point?

Date: November 25, 2011 17:54

WilliamPatrickMaynard
71Tele

No chance of Nicky and probably not Jim Price either.

...or Billy Preston or Ian Stewart, or Amy Nitrate for all I know, but I meant band members...but I'll take the five of them plus Bobby Keys.

Date: November 25, 2011 17:55

mitchflorida1

Welcome back, Mitch! No, none of them are what they were forty years ago but as Taylor more than proved with "Plundered My Soul" he can still work magic. All of that said, I'll be pleasantly surprised if this is more than just talk on Keith's part.

If Bill and Mr. Taylor really return, yes we could be in for something special. the thing is the three guitarists would truly have to rework the arrangements. It's one thing for Ronnie to cover for Keith on a song or a particular night, it's another thing to work out who should be playing what and when among three guitar players. These guys have been in their comfort zone with the same extended touring band for many years now. Switching to three guitars would mix things up. If it actually happens, then I suspect it is necessary to do so for Keith's health and not out of any anniversary sentimentality. I would certainly be happier to see Taylor rather than say Jeff Beck on stage with them.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 25, 2011 18:04

no they have PRIDE or should have

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1608
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home