Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

BOB DYLAN - BROWN SUGAR
Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: November 23, 2011 13:34

Re: BOB DYLAN - BROWN SUGAR
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 23, 2011 14:00

Not bad! Old Gents Rocks!thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 23, 2011 15:36

A great and humorous version. Dylan was on top of his game in 2002. He is still in shape, but his voice has become very weak nowadays.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 23, 2011 16:47

windmelody
A great and humorous version. Dylan was on top of his game in 2002. He is still in shape, but his voice has become very weak nowadays.

and his whole presentation has become a tired, worn-out affair. young bob who was always re-inventing himself every year or two would be embarrassed to see what has happened to the old bob.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 23, 2011 16:52

StonesTod
windmelody

and his whole presentation has become a tired, worn-out affair. young bob who was always re-inventing himself every year or two would be embarrassed to see what has happened to the old bob.

Windmelody is correct; that Dylan was on top of his game in 2002 - but to me; he's gradually faded after that; and I must admit that I don't have much interest for seeing or hearing Dylan in concert after.....2007 or so, unfortunately

Date: November 23, 2011 16:56

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
windmelody

Windmelody is correct; that Dylan was on top of his game in 2002 - but to me; he's gradually faded after that; and I must admit that I don't have much interest for seeing or hearing Dylan in concert after.....2007 or so, unfortunately

yeah, that's about when my interest ended...kept waiting for his bobness to surprise us...the surprise is that he hasn't....

Date: November 23, 2011 21:46

The level of acceptance/acceptability of a cover depends on wether the song enhances the covered song or not. In this case (sorry Bob fans) it is imposible to compare the stones version of Like a Rolling stone against this one. Like a rolling a stone is a better song after Stripped. Brown Sugar here is just a nice pastime.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: November 23, 2011 22:22

"scarred old slaver..."...Bob liked that better than "skydog slaver"...

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 23, 2011 22:34

I noticed Gob's version of "Paint It, Black" on the page with the other covers. I'm not sure about that one. It worked nice during the end credits of the 2004 mini-series adaptation of 'Salem's Lot, but just hearing it by itself I'm not feeling it.

By the way, who did that French cover of "Paint It, Black" that was in "Talladega Nights"?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 23, 2011 23:25

The Rolling Stone's version of 'Like A Rolling Stone' absolutely blew chunks. It's not even listenable. Bob's version of Brown Sugar, which I saw live at the Wiltern in 2002, was rollicking, fun, and rocking.

Maybe Bob has faded recently, but you better not count him out. His last three albums are better than anything the post-Wyman Stones have released.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 23, 2011 23:30

24FPS
The Rolling Stone's version of 'Like A Rolling Stone' absolutely blew chunks. It's not even listenable. Bob's version of Brown Sugar, which I saw live at the Wiltern in 2002, was rollicking, fun, and rocking.

Maybe Bob has faded recently, but you better not count him out. His last three albums are better than anything the post-Wyman Stones have released.

I hope you're not counting "Christmas In The Heart" in "his last three albums". Because Bob Dylan singing "Here Comes Santa Claus" actually made me cringe, as did some of the other tracks.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 23, 2011 23:35

emotionalbarbecue
The level of acceptance/acceptability of a cover depends on wether the song enhances the covered song or not. In this case (sorry Bob fans) it is imposible to compare the stones version of Like a Rolling stone against this one. Like a rolling a stone is a better song after Stripped. Brown Sugar here is just a nice pastime.

Am I reading this right? You're seriously arguing that the Stones version of 'Like A Rolling Stone' is the definitive one?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 23, 2011 23:48

24FPS

Modern Times in 2006 was the last "very good" one, IMO. The 2 previous to that were exceptional. Together Through Life.....hmmmmm, no it was too repetitive for my tastes; allthough I really really like "Life Is Hard" and "Forgetful Heart". The rest of the album......no.

Date: November 24, 2011 00:32

Gazza
emotionalbarbecue

Am I reading this right? You're seriously arguing that the Stones version of 'Like A Rolling Stone' is the definitive one?

ok. I admit I should move back/withdraw a bit. The version os LARS may not be the definitive but I love what Stones did. And I also think that they were more creative than Bob when he played Brown Sugar. LARS was soaked up by the stones sound. They made this song a stones song so to speak. Just the opposite of what Bob did with Brown Sugar.They worked it as a song of theirs.

But I do not think it is the definitve version.smileys with beer

Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: November 24, 2011 21:15

emotionalbarbecue
Gazza
emotionalbarbecue

ok. I admit I should move back/withdraw a bit. The version os LARS may not be the definitive but I love what Stones did. And I also think that they were more creative than Bob when he played Brown Sugar. LARS was soaked up by the stones sound. They made this song a stones song so to speak. Just the opposite of what Bob did with Brown Sugar.They worked it as a song of theirs.

But I do not think it is the definitve version.smileys with beer

I really preffer stones' live versions of LARS than the original from Dylan

[www.stonescovers.com]
@Stones_Covers
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: November 24, 2011 21:50

I had no idea anyone here was in a position to criticize Bob Dylan. Guess I was wrong. Man...you people are idiots.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 24, 2011 23:30

vermontoffender
I had no idea anyone here was in a position to criticize Bob Dylan. Guess I was wrong. Man...you people are idiots.

Ok let me add another layer of sarcasm then : thx to the Net I've discovered the maligned years of 1991-92 (bad band + bored Bob) were the ones when Zim played some incredible shows.
Otoh the "Bob is God again - Bob is the king of Americana" mantra of recent years (2005?-now) happen when the man has nothing new to say live. And the return of Sexton didn't bring back the excitement of the years 1999-2002.

Kinda ironic huh?

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 24, 2011 23:45

I never was into Dylan -never dig it for though.

First of all,neither his music nor his lyrics "reached " /touched me deeply .

The musicians on BS -the video SpanishSone posted -sounds real good imo but Mr Dylan's voice is weak -n'importe quoi

Date: November 25, 2011 02:59

NoCode0680
24FPS

I hope you're not counting "Christmas In The Heart" in "his last three albums". Because Bob Dylan singing "Here Comes Santa Claus" actually made me cringe, as did some of the other tracks.

i liked the xmas album better than together through life...which is a lifeless rehash of past music and lyrical themes. a total yawner...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 25, 2011 03:00

hmmm, love The Stones, but no way does their version of LARS trump the original. Bob's is a seething pit of venom, and a stunning thump in the head.

Date: November 25, 2011 03:00

Erik_Snow
24FPS

Modern Times in 2006 was the last "very good" one, IMO. The 2 previous to that were exceptional. Together Through Life.....hmmmmm, no it was too repetitive for my tastes; allthough I really really like "Life Is Hard" and "Forgetful Heart". The rest of the album......no.

you continue to "get it" the way few others do. and i salute you...sorta.

Date: November 25, 2011 07:09

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod
windmelody

yeah, that's about when my interest ended...kept waiting for his bobness to surprise us...the surprise is that he hasn't....

oh come on..the christmas album didn't surprise you?

Date: November 25, 2011 07:12

saw bob end of last year.. still puts on a really good show.. not sure what you yahoos are on..

of course not every album or performance is a winner..but he still has the best support band in the business and the best catalog...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-25 07:14 by stoned in washington dc.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 25, 2011 13:56

Which albums from any artist isn't? grinning smiley

I saw Bob 3 weeks ago and he's much better nowadays then 2001-02...that radio-show made him live up...

2 1 2 0

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1351
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home