Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Rick Rubin
Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: November 23, 2011 07:52

Saw this on another website. I know some Stones fans would love Rick Rubin to produce a Stones album. Thoughts on the video?

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Rick Rubin
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 23, 2011 07:59

That was hilarious! Yeah, I have read a few other things that confirm that he is very hard to work with...but this sounds even beyond that, sounds like Ruben wasn't even engaged and there to produce. What a sad thing that is, because in the day he was pretty successful in bring out the best in his subjects...ala Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, and Jagger...

I think Tele71's brilliant suggestion about Tom Waits producing the Stones is spot on! He would be perfect!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 23, 2011 08:21

I read somewhere that Mick doesn't like him at all, even though Wandering Spirit was by far the best solo thing he's ever done.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 23, 2011 08:30

Rubin is one of those "reputation" producers. He has been dining out for years off of a few successes that happened a very long time ago.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 23, 2011 08:33

No don't let Rubins .. Lanois or White any where near the Stones ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 23, 2011 11:10

Corey Taylor is a very talented singer. You may not like Slipknot but you must agree that the man has got an amazing voice. Very beautiful and underrated. Check his cover of Dead Flowers and other covers on youtube:

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: November 23, 2011 11:14

Holy Crap! Had no idea he did a cover! Thanks!

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 23, 2011 11:26

Rick Rubin is more like "logo" these days...you can buy his name on the album cover and he might even give you his opinion, but he wont come to the studio. I dont like Dixie Chicks, but it was fun to see the documentary of Rubin producing them, he wasnt even in a studio with them, they just played him some demos and he gave his opinion, but wouldnt even move his ass from the sofa...I wouldnt call that "producing" - i think Stones really need a "hands on" producer or they should produce everything by themselves...I like Don Was but wouldnt mind seeing them working with someone else for a change.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 23, 2011 16:04

....ask the Chilli Peppers.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: November 23, 2011 16:38

seitan
Rick Rubin is more like "logo" these days...you can buy his name on the album cover and he might even give you his opinion, but he wont come to the studio. I dont like Dixie Chicks, but it was fun to see the documentary of Rubin producing them, he wasnt even in a studio with them, they just played him some demos and he gave his opinion, but wouldnt even move his ass from the sofa...I wouldnt call that "producing"

What? I find that hard to believe. But if he indeed did not show up, who did produce the "Taking the Long Way" album then? After listening to it, I thought "wow, he still has got what it takes - and this may even be his best production yet". But now, I hear it wasn't even his. Who did produce it instead?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 23, 2011 16:45

Mick Jagger shelved the Red Devil's album, dubbed "King King," and it has never been released. And now Rick Rubin thinks the rocker should reconsider.

He says, "It's incredible, (but) it's up to Mick. He's the artist... he gets to do what he wants to do. But it's great, and I hope it comes out."

Rubin admits recording the "King King" album wasn't all fun - Jagger yelled at the producer for being downbeat.

He tells Flaunt magazine, "He got really angry at me for bringing the session down. He pulled me out in the hallway and yelled at me because I was not being upbeat about what was going on. He said I was worse than Keith, and if I didn't like what was going on, I should just go out and get a veggie burger."

King King, named after the New York studio where the album, was recorded, features the talents of Lester Butler, Bill Bateman and brothers Dave Lee and Johnny Ray Bartel.

From [www.starpulse.com]

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 23, 2011 17:30

I like Rubin's Work with the Beastie Boys and the Peppers, but I am not a big fan of what he did on Wondering Spirit and I am not sure he would fit in with the Stones.

To all those who complain for the compressed sound of ABB, have you ever heard the RHCP cd produced by Rubin (I think that Californication was the most compressed CD in the story of compressed cds!)

C

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 23, 2011 17:43

Title5Take1
Mick Jagger shelved the Red Devil's album, dubbed "King King," and it has never been released. And now Rick Rubin thinks the rocker should reconsider.

He says, "It's incredible, (but) it's up to Mick. He's the artist... he gets to do what he wants to do. But it's great, and I hope it comes out."

Rubin admits recording the "King King" album wasn't all fun - Jagger yelled at the producer for being downbeat.

He tells Flaunt magazine, "He got really angry at me for bringing the session down. He pulled me out in the hallway and yelled at me because I was not being upbeat about what was going on. He said I was worse than Keith, and if I didn't like what was going on, I should just go out and get a veggie burger."

King King, named after the New York studio where the album, was recorded, features the talents of Lester Butler, Bill Bateman and brothers Dave Lee and Johnny Ray Bartel.

From [www.starpulse.com]

"Worse than Keith"! Hah!

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: November 23, 2011 17:52

liddas
To all those who complain for the compressed sound of ABB, have you ever heard the RHCP cd produced by Rubin (I think that Californication was the most compressed CD in the story of compressed cds!)

C

This compression usually occurs during mastering - do you think Rubin was involved during mastering? Or just for recording & mixing?

I'm not surprised about the "logo" issue. Most famous producers would be working this way I'd think, once they become big - hiring gifted assistants who fit the "brand" to do the real work and acting just as project managers? The "big name" would only do the actual work for key customers.

Date: November 24, 2011 21:34

71Tele
Title5Take1

From [www.starpulse.com]

"Worse than Keith"! Hah!

I CHANGE MY MIND, I WILL NEVER SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT RICK RUBIN
If Mick says that Rubin is Worse than Keith - Stones should work with him.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 25, 2011 02:14

Not sure if he's still got the touch but I love what he did with the Cult's demos that he turned into "Electric" way back in '87. Also, how can one deny the Black Crowes "Shake Your Money Maker"?

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: November 25, 2011 03:38

Great Rick Rubin produced LP´s:

1986: Slayer: Reign in Blood
1987: The Cult: Electric

Date: November 25, 2011 05:22

shadooby
Not sure if he's still got the touch but I love what he did with the Cult's demos that he turned into "Electric" way back in '87. Also, how can one deny the Black Crowes "Shake Your Money Maker"?

Those weren't demos, it was an album. PEACE was produced by Steve Brown, who produced LOVE. Although it has some pretty cool things on it, overall it was too messy. Rubin was asked to remix it. Upon listening to a couple of songs he wanted to start over. ELECTRIC was the result - a much more hard hitting streamlined kick ass mean rock'n'roll album, possibly the best thing Rubin has ever been a part of.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 25, 2011 05:52

Title5Take1

From [www.starpulse.com]

I have the bootleg "Nature of my game" from recordings of Mick and the Red Devils done in 1992. "King King" is the name of the first and only album recorded by the Red Devils in 1991. The red Devils were really good.
Rock and Roll,

Mops

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: November 25, 2011 09:18

Rubin is good technically but he doesnt seem to inspire the musicians themselves to great performances, two examples that spring to mind are Motorhead "Orgasmatron" and Iggy Pop "Instinct" both records with really strong songs but flat performances.

Date: November 25, 2011 09:49

some people are confussing what a producer does and what a sound engineer does and who handles the final mix down

Date: November 25, 2011 14:26

humanriff77
Rubin is good technically but he doesnt seem to inspire the musicians themselves to great performances, two examples that spring to mind are Motorhead "Orgasmatron" and Iggy Pop "Instinct" both records with really strong songs but flat performances.

Wrong guy...

Bill Laswell produced "Instinct" and "Orgasmatron"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-25 14:28 by seitan.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: November 25, 2011 15:17

For what its worth, Crosby Stills and Nash spent the better part of two years trying to record and album ( of oldies ) with Rick Rubin producing.... on paper it sounded great, but after all that time CSN shelved the project because of differences with Rubin...
But I do think he should be given a special place in Heaven for all the great work he did with Johnny Cash in the last 10 years of his life. Amazing stuff

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: November 25, 2011 15:26

Rick Rubin is producing the new Black Sabbath album. Yeah !!!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 25, 2011 15:29

keefriffhard4life
some people are confussing what a producer does and what a sound engineer does and who handles the final mix down

Don't know if you're referring to what he did with the Cult's Electric album or not. But with that one he took the songs and completely transformed them. The band is on record giving him credit for it more than once.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 25, 2011 16:22

gwen
This compression usually occurs during mastering - do you think Rubin was involved during mastering? Or just for recording & mixing?

Probably not "involved" for the mastering other than listening in and approving the final master. But EQ and compression/expansion are used extensively on Stones mixing sessions prior to any Mastering. Certainly the sound of the record has alot to do with the producer in most cases. I can hear a Rubin produced record from the other room.

I say give Andy Johns another chance. Or George Massenberg. or Leon Russell (he could add piano chops too) . peace.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: November 25, 2011 16:35

Shit your right I am mixing up my fat beardy guys, senility is setting in drinking smiley

seitan
humanriff77

Wrong guy...

Bill Laswell produced "Instinct" and "Orgasmatron"

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 26, 2011 04:10

Rockman
No don't let Rubins .. Lanois or White any where near the Stones ...

I agree whole heartedly! What about George Martin or Leon Russel or Dolly Parton's husband or maybe Alison Krauss...he he

Date: November 26, 2011 08:10

shadooby
keefriffhard4life

Don't know if you're referring to what he did with the Cult's Electric album or not. But with that one he took the songs and completely transformed them. The band is on record giving him credit for it more than once.

no i was not referring to that. rubin is not as hands on today as he was prior to 1996 or so

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 26, 2011 12:21

"He has been dining out for years off of a few successes that happened a very long time ago"
Let me disagree : he recently "resurrected" Metallica (not that this is a good thing...).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1932
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home