Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tragic Brian shot - 1967
Posted by: sizey ()
Date: November 22, 2011 19:14

More than anything, this picture shows how far Brian had descended during the police's witch-hunt of him during 1967-8. At his Courtfield Road flat, he called an impromptu press conference - only talking to the media from his balcony.

( Click to see the image larger). Regards, Simon Wells

[greatstonesdrugsbust.blogspot.com]

Re: Tragic Brian shot - 1967
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 22, 2011 19:16

He's certainly keeping a good distance to the reporters. Nice paranoia. smoking smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: November 22, 2011 20:18

Having read your thread title I thought it was anew story on how Brian died ! In a way, he might have been better if he was shot rather than fade out as he did.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 22, 2011 20:28

If you have the DVD boots with the NME appearances, mingled with the Ed Sullivan ones, you can watch him go from confident, exuberant entertainer, fade into the background, and re-emerge confident again as a 'colourist. It looks like he was fine on stage at the '68 NME from photos, although we have no idea what he contributed musically. And then the almost agonizingly sad crackup on the Rock and Roll Circus. It's almost like the camera sought out his self-destruction.

Date: November 22, 2011 21:09

crumbling_mice
Having read your thread title I thought it was anew story on how Brian died ! In a way, he might have been better if he was shot rather than fade out as he did.

Gosh you're right- never thought that - apologies if people find the title confusing!

Yes, all so very sad- where Mick and Keith appeared very resilient - Brian was so damaged. Norman Pilcher and his mob certainly had it in for him.

Date: November 23, 2011 00:06

Hi res copy

here

If you look carefully, there appears to be a person in a white coat behind Brian- wondering if that's Pilcher?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: November 23, 2011 00:16

i look the same every morning. as do many others.

Date: November 23, 2011 00:59

Hopefully not with Sgt. Norman Pilcher behind you!

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: November 23, 2011 01:23

crumbling_mice
In a way, he might have been better if he was shot rather than fade out as he did.
Ouch!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 23, 2011 01:28

It's tragic that there are only two journalists.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 23, 2011 01:30

3 Koen

By the way what is tragic about a guy standing on his balcony?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 23, 2011 01:37

ROCKMAN

Date: November 23, 2011 02:09

NICOS
3 Koen

By the way what is tragic about a guy standing on his balcony?

Brian had been raided and subjected to continual harassment by sections of London's Drug Squad. His phone continually ringing, and police visiting at all hours regarding a litany of bogus allegations, poor Brian was at his wits end, and he called an impromptu press conference to alert the press that he was being victimised. While many thought he was being overtly paranoid- he wasn't. His move out of London was principally to escape the attentons of the Drug Squad.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 23, 2011 06:13

24FPS
And then the almost agonizingly sad crackup on the Rock and Roll Circus. It's almost like the camera sought out his self-destruction.

This might be a stupid question, but what happened on R&R Circus? I bought the VHS when it first came out back in '96 or '97, and I watched it several times back then, but haven't seen it since. I lost the VHS years ago but still have the CD and ordered the DVD yesterday. But I've heard/read about this several times over the past few years, but it's all pretty vague. I don't remember seeing anything wrong with Brian, at least nothing that I would chalk up to anything other than being high. I don't remember him really doing much at all. I've heard people saying he was crying during one of the songs, and I certainly don't remember that.

Date: November 23, 2011 15:11

By that time he had relocated to Hartfield in Sussex and was gradually piecing himself back together. Critically, it was well outside of Sergeant Norman Pilcher's patch. Rural life really appealed to Brian, and reports were that he adored living in the land of Pooh!

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: November 23, 2011 15:50

24FPS
If you have the DVD boots with the NME appearances, mingled with the Ed Sullivan ones, you can watch him go from confident, exuberant entertainer, fade into the background, and re-emerge confident again as a 'colourist. It looks like he was fine on stage at the '68 NME from photos, although we have no idea what he contributed musically. And then the almost agonizingly sad crackup on the Rock and Roll Circus. It's almost like the camera sought out his self-destruction.

Well there is a clip in One plus One that seem to show that the hammer on that later became important to the rythm guitars on Sympathy actually is Brians idea.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 23, 2011 17:41

Steen G
24FPS

Well there is a clip in One plus One that seem to show that the hammer on that later became important to the rythm guitars on Sympathy actually is Brians idea.

The E-A-G-E hammer on. The bluesy touch.

Date: November 23, 2011 18:10

There's a BBC radio interview with Brian in mid-1968 with Mick- in it he appears to have regained his equilibrium and was full of hope for the future. I dare say he would have gone from strength to strength had he not been cut down so cruelly.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: November 23, 2011 19:23

NoCode0680
This might be a stupid question, but what happened on R&R Circus? I bought the VHS when it first came out back in '96 or '97, and I watched it several times back then, but haven't seen it since. I lost the VHS years ago but still have the CD and ordered the DVD yesterday. But I've heard/read about this several times over the past few years, but it's all pretty vague. I don't remember seeing anything wrong with Brian, at least nothing that I would chalk up to anything other than being high. I don't remember him really doing much at all. I've heard people saying he was crying during one of the songs, and I certainly don't remember that.
Pete Townshend say in an interview on the DVD that Brian was crying backstage and that Mick worked hard to get him in enough shape to perform. In some photos Brian looks swollen and tired although he's smiling. But in the film he looks ok but very alienated. The biggest question that I have about the RnRC is who's idea it was to keep Brian's guitar low in the mix. There was no reason to do so. He plays ok (the little we can hear) and the Stones even gave him the confidence to do the slide on No Expectations wich he does without mistakes.

From what I've read (Jackson?) Brian was "clean" when filming the thing and is said to have been worried about Keith's use of drugs. Keith's skin is freaking yellow in the film!
Accordinng to Tommi Iommi Brian and Keith are supposed to have been screaming at each other during the rehearsals. But I find it hard to believe that. Brian was a whiner and Keith is more bitchy. I just can't see the two screaming at each other. But hey, I wasn't there. In contrast a rumour say that the Stones didn't call Brian to rehearse until the very last minute.

sizey
There's a BBC radio interview with Brian in mid-1968 with Mick- in it he appears to have regained his equilibrium and was full of hope for the future.
I would love to hear that!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-23 19:25 by tonterapi.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2037
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home