Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Some Girls 78 DVD- just my opinion
Posted by: phd ()
Date: November 22, 2011 21:26

Is it included with the re-release or is it something totally separate ?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 22, 2011 22:48

KSIE
I saw two shows in '78: Philly stadium, and Cleveland stadium. Both were kinda ragged and not-so-good.

Yeah, I was in Cleveland, and it was a mess. I even remember hearing a boot of them playing (at the Fox theatre?) or somewhere from the tour and I wasn't impressed. Maybe being inside with a smaller audience in Texas helped. Hampton '81 is pretty damn good, as was the No Security Tour. I hope they find something from the '75 tour that erases all the memory of that flaccid Love You Live period.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 23, 2011 05:35

Mick said to ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE about those who idealize a certain "moment": “I mean, maybe it was a bit better, because you were, like, twenty years old back then, and you looked better, and you didn’t have any responsibilities...I’m not talking about my own personal experience. I’m talking about people that actually, um, nostalgize. Is that a verb? It should be.

Incidentally, I read the interview in the book below:

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: November 23, 2011 07:11

Justin
One of my favorite moments on the DVD is watching Mick and Keith share singing duties on "Happy." The song is going a hundred miles an hour and Mick and Keith both jump on and off the mic at every turn. Watching it you can't help but feel that one of them is going to miss their cue, or come in too late, or too early...but not one flub. They were so damn in tune to the song and more importantly themselves. It's one of the best examples of the "one-ness" the band used to be. They looked and sounded like a unit, working together. A four headed monster.

Yes, exactly. Another thing i notice strongly about the DVD is the crispness of its sound. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN as great as it is, has always sounded slightly muffled to me, unlike a number of the bootlegs to be found from that 72/73 era, where you can really feel the rock 'n' roll heat. With LADIES AND GENTLEMEN there always seems a huge distance between the music being played, and the audience actually watching, with regard to the film/DVD, such is audio, and slightly grainy visual quality, and camera positioning etc. The Stones almost seem aloof and distant, and in a world of their own, such is the characteristics of the visual and audio feel. With the SOME GIRLS 78 DVD, you feel literally in touching distance of the Stones, close enough to smell them, and there's a sense you can really feel the heat of this performance, almost like being on stage with them. That's no criticism of the musical accomplishments of LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, mind, which i still think presents the best actual performance in strictly musical terms of the Stones available in DVD form, but something gets lost a little in the way the show is presented. SOME GIRLS 78 pretty much proves the opposite, in terms of it providing a brilliant template to enjoy the Stones at their peak. I almost feel i'd take this DVD over any other as a way of demonstrating the greatness of the Stones to the non committed. Jagger also in the additional interview seems much more inspired and willing to talk about the SOME GIRLS 78 era, unlike with EXILE, perhaps. One senses he feels great pride about that period, and he makes a few interesting observations with regards to the general music scene from the period, too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-23 07:19 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: November 23, 2011 10:32

Have I missed something or is this the first time @#$%& has appeared on an official release instead of the usual Star Star.
If so how long before it is edited like the original Some Girls Album cover.
Obviously policy here dictates I can't write the actual words now on DVD/CD set

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 23, 2011 20:37

My DVD case says STAR STAR

Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: November 23, 2011 20:43

scottkeef

My Blu ray/CD case says Star @#$%& but it's Star Star on the Song Choice menu.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-23 20:44 by Youngie.

Date: November 23, 2011 20:55

Mine says Star Star on the menu too but this isnt the Blu/ray just the regular dvd. Weird, huh? Are you in the states?

Date: November 23, 2011 20:58

Star Star on my copy.

Date: November 23, 2011 21:02

scottkeef
Mine says Star Star on the menu too but this isnt the Blu/ray just the regular dvd. Weird, huh? Are you in the states?

Ireland.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 23, 2011 21:05

rogue

This might be why the vaults are open.

no, the vaults are open because Don Was won over the Stones with his mellow American ways and he is one of us. A true Rolling Stones fan. How hard could it be talking a couple of 70 year olds into making the last of the money they themselves will be able to enjoy in this short life. He told them the new internet music market is becoming all about tons of mediocre content and over exposure so why not? MJ got a hard toger thinking about it and gave the key to Mr. was. That's how it probably was. peace.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: November 23, 2011 23:12

Youngie
scottkeef

I have checked the actual DVD now and the menu/song selector says Star Star,but the cover definitely says Star F##ker

Date: November 23, 2011 23:27

adotulipson
Youngie
scottkeef

I have checked the actual DVD now and the menu/song selector says Star Star,but the cover definitely says Star F##ker

That's what I said except I have the Blu Ray/CD combo.

Date: November 23, 2011 23:41

wonder if its particular to the blu/ray edition or if its a europe/usa thing? Not sure what the blu ray says here..

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 24, 2011 00:50

Canada, blu-ray/CD combo, says Star Star on case.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: November 24, 2011 00:55

scottkeef
wonder if its particular to the blu/ray edition or if its a europe/usa thing? Not sure what the blu ray says here..

You're in the UK and have the DVD edition (without CD)?

I think it may just be the combo releases (Blu/CD & DVD/CD) that has Star @#$%&. Strange it wasn't spotted by the "sensors".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-24 00:56 by Youngie.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 24, 2011 00:58

haha this reminds me of the Live Licks cover debacle!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: November 24, 2011 01:01

The Stones are still controversial - that's for sure!

Date: November 24, 2011 03:15

Youngie, I'm in Texas and just bought the regular DVD release..

Date: November 24, 2011 05:39

Rockman - ........nuffin' wrong with a good tan ....

unless there's a tan line.....

Date: November 24, 2011 09:45

Got the DVD yesterday, and it really exceeded my expectations. So raw, so swinging, so entertaining! The two last numbers (BS and JJF) made the roof jump. Simply fantastic!

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: November 25, 2011 11:36

saltoftheearth
I do not think that they played that bad in 1982 (much, much better than in 1976, actually!). It was still a great concert, highlighted by songs like Start me up (their current hit back then), Time is on my side, Let it bleed, and many others. And it was the last tour before the Vegas years, the Stones were still legendary and a real live band.

I saw the Stones in both '78 and '81 and thought they were equally hot both times. Sadly, there's no film that captures the greatness of an '81 show. Let's Spend The Night Together doesn't capture what the Stones were really like in 1981 at all.
'

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 25, 2011 11:37

stonesdan60
saltoftheearth
I do not think that they played that bad in 1982 (much, much better than in 1976, actually!). It was still a great concert, highlighted by songs like Start me up (their current hit back then), Time is on my side, Let it bleed, and many others. And it was the last tour before the Vegas years, the Stones were still legendary and a real live band.

I saw the Stones in both '78 and '81 and thought they were equally hot both times. Sadly, there's no film that captures the greatness of an '81 show. Let's Spend The Night Together doesn't capture what the Stones were really like in 1981 at all.
'

WHat about Hampton then ? Or Seattle ? Or Houston ? 1981 is much better preserved on film than the other tours before 1989

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 25, 2011 11:39

.... mmmmm ya gotta question them 75 shots ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 25, 2011 11:47

Rockman
.... mmmmm ya gotta question them 75 shots ....

Might have been used at the time to market the 78 tour?

Date: November 25, 2011 11:50

. yeah ya reckon that's the answer DandelionPowderman ???....

Heck ain't worth losin' sleep over but ya kinda wonder who's in charge of the levers ...

ROCKMAN

Date: November 25, 2011 11:56

Rockman
. yeah ya reckon that's the answer DandelionPowderman ???....

Heck ain't worth losin' sleep over but ya kinda wonder who's in charge of the levers ...

Dunno, the only explanation I could think of smiling smiley

Date: November 25, 2011 11:58

.OKAY Dandelion that's the one I'm usin' from now on in ... and I'm gonna tell 'EM you told me ....Yeah!!

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-25 12:15 by Rockman.

Posted by: belld ()
Date: November 25, 2011 13:25

NoCode0680
Don't feel bad for me, I first saw them in '97 and loved it to death, regardless of what may have been in the past. Even if I'd seen them for the first time in '78 (would have been difficult as I was still 2 years away from birth) there would be somebody sorry for me as I hadn't seen them in '72, and for the person who saw them in '72 somebody feeling sorry for them on account of not seeing them in the 60's.

It would have been cool to see them in '78 or '72, but hey, there's a DVD of it, so it's not like I can't see for myself what it was like. It's not like we rely on the village elders to gather 'round the campfire and tell us about the "old days" of the Stones. We have home videos and live albums. I'm happy as a clam to have ever seen the Stones, regardless of when.
Well said. I suspect you may have the chance to see them again soon.smileys with beer

Posted by: belld ()
Date: November 25, 2011 13:31

Bought it on day of release and have yet to watch it! I really am amazed at my level of self denial. Frenzied anticipation has led me to fondling the package several times a day but I remained resolute to this day. Tonight, Friday, bottle of Famous Grouse and a couple of Bolivars and the cage will be open.
Open the cage.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1915
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home