Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Mix on the new official "Brussels Affair" plus comments
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 19, 2011 03:43

I love the mix as well, the snare drum being the only thing I would have done differently. I prefer the unprocessed snare on the old boot, although the new punchy, "smacky" one fits very well in Dancing With Mr D and a few other songs. Bass drum sounds great though.

I'm listening to the "Definitive Edition" bootleg now and I realize the new Clearmountain mix is superior overall. Better separation, fabulous Wyman sound (clearly better than the boot). I prefer the in-your-face sound of Mick T on the boot, but the placement/separation of the guitars is better in the new mix. Overall, I would have mixed Mick T a bit louder than Clearmountain did.

As for performance and track selections, I wrote a post in the long sticky thread.

Again -- a glorious Stones album!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 19, 2011 04:12

Erik_Snow
On a sidenote....did anybody else Jagger saying "F'ck you George" RIGHT before Dancing With Mr D starts? That's funny - almost like he did with the poor George in Essen 1973. Wonder why Jagger kept calling out to George the lightman in 1973. Never done that at other tours....calling these people out by their first name

I've seen a few shows on the 73 tour. And I remember that Jagger shoutet out for "George" on many dates. I think it was kinda part of that tour like water showers, etc.

Main new "events" on the 73 tour were: barricades in front of stage for 1. time in Europe.
The huge mirrors above the stage which could be turned to audience.
And the lighting of the hall shortly before end of performance. (Mick calling out for George - Turn on the light . .) Sometimes it seems he called him through the gigs as well. In the US the lighting had been done before . .

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 19, 2011 04:23

Erik_Snow
I wonder if Rolling Stones decided to release this 2nd Brussels show instead of the 1st show; just to "please us who allready had the bootleg"; or if it was the "producer/researcher" for this official release who wanted to "please us" - without Mick and Keith really knowing that they released a show which not QUITE as hot as the "famous Brussels show" ? ....even though it's still brilliant of course. That....I wonder about

Im wondering about these things as well!

But whatever happened - the marketing is/was not too clever.Confusing many people.
Besides some people will consider it all old stuff and won't buy; others could be a bit disapointed because they expected the well known classic Brussels Affair version.
A bit more information about this fantastic release . . !!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 19, 2011 05:50

"Mix on the new official 'Brussels Affair' "...
Well, of course Mick's on the new official "Brussels Affair!"
What else would ya expect?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 19, 2011 05:52

actually there are 2 mix on it winking smiley

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 19, 2011 05:53

Listening again and this really does sound great. It sounds like Andy Johns adjusted the recording between the first and second sets and got better separation and sound, which may be why they used more of the evening.

On Midnight Rambler- those guys made for a pretty damn good Chicago blues band, everyone up there more than holding their weight. The guitars are spectacular but the harmonica ain't too shabby either and Charlie Watts, what can you say?

Posted by: NongSung ()
Date: November 19, 2011 06:06

My first concert was the Rotterdam one, 1973 and this Brussels Affair brings back so many good memories! Downloaded the FLAC version and have listened it in one go, amazing. Best 9 dollars I have spent on the Stones.
I have retired in Thailand and my house is decorated with two RS Logos on the outside walls and now Brussels Affair is playing loudly in a small, remote village where they have never heard (or even bothered) about the Stones.
Rambler is on right now!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-19 06:08 by NongSung.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 19, 2011 06:17

Max'sKansasCity
actually there are 2 mix on it winking smiley

you're right
(my bad)
your right
(my left)

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 19, 2011 17:22

I finally got to sit down last night and really listen to the flac burned disc. SH-T!!! I'm not a "Mick only or Ronnie only" kinda person. I love them both but the Taylor era is special to me because I was at that 13-19 yr old age and this just proves that they never reached this level of pure POWER again. These songs just steamroll you. Nice to get that feeling from a Stones concert again!

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: November 19, 2011 18:52

there are versions on here i have never heard on any of my brussels boots- my ears are not crazy, right?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 19, 2011 19:15

hbwriter
there are versions on here i have never heard on any of my brussels boots- my ears are not crazy, right?

... someone at the TLDR stage, or it's just too many threads to keep track of? :E
try here: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: paulm ()
Date: November 19, 2011 19:18

Erik_Snow
Taylor is mixed too LOW in this official release remix.

you're right ES...

pumped about google releases (some hip employee at g HAD to have initiated this), but MT is definitely turned down.

on one hand I can understand this because MT is louder than KR on the boots, but I'm listening to boot (not official) version of Gimme right now, and while MT is louder, KR is still there. and isn't part of the magic of these things that MT is so sublime and should be "powerful"? yeah I'll answer my own rhetorical question.

but throw a 'lil ego in that mixdown for the google release, and OF COURSE MT is going to be turned down.

either way, I'm equivocating...it's all good but we're connoisseurs after all yes? I have the same problem with digital remasterings of just about every song I liked on vinyl/cassette, zeppelin, beatles etc.

sydney will have to be released and if memory serves vienna was smoking as well.

Date: November 19, 2011 19:43

paulm

but throw a 'lil ego in that mixdown for the google release, and OF COURSE MT is going to be turned down.

I think you're reading too much into it. I'm sure it was just Bob Clearmountain who thought the mix was well balanced this way. Taylor is definitely loud during his solos, but a little submerged in many other places.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 19, 2011 20:05

I am working my way through it now and I think this is tremendous. NEW performances in this quality! Wow! I have much to say about this recording and the band...too much. But I love the mix. Everyone is easy to follow. There is so much going on and to listen to that Jagger is sometimes almost irrelevant. The mix faulters on SF. Taylor IS low in the mix. Is he trying to turn this into a CW song? There are spots early then late in the song when it sounds like it. I love the idea.

When I first heard Brussels on a cassette way back when (Ross, was that you?) it took me a long to listen to and digest it. I feel the same way about this recording. It's thrilling.

Everything Jagger says is not directed at Taylor's playing, but it sure sounds that way. His stage awareness amazes me. I am hearing guitars more in synch than not. For me Taylor grounds this music and keeps it...music...rather than letting the band fly off into cheap entertainment.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 19, 2011 20:17

This puts to rest at least for me that Keith/Taylor DID quite a bit of "weaving" of their own,especially with this mix of Midnight Rambler!

Date: November 19, 2011 21:20

I think the original Brussels I was testing sounds strident in comparison. The release sounds warmer and clearer to me. But it just might be my ears. I have said that before about recordings and had people not agree with me.

What other shows will be available? I can't help it. It makes one wonder.

Date: November 19, 2011 22:27

scottkeef
This puts to rest at least for me that Keith/Taylor DID quite a bit of "weaving" of their own,especially with this mix of Midnight Rambler!

Yeah. Especially considering that this tour was probably when Keith and Mick T were more divided than they ever were between rhythm and lead. Keith played a lot of open G chords and few leads (in '72 he was on main lead guitar on Bitch and Bye Bye Johnny, in late '73 it was mostly just on Star Star) while Mick T noodled away more often than not. But they were still "weaving", they complemented each other wonderfully and traded licks in a way that was never really to reoccur in the Stones career.

Date: November 20, 2011 00:41

LieB
paulm

I think you're reading too much into it. I'm sure it was just Bob Clearmountain who thought the mix was well balanced this way. Taylor is definitely loud during his solos, but a little submerged in many other places.

Of course. The main difference is that Jagger's vocals are more rounded and front and center. Taylor's guitar comes up for the solos, as does Keith's, but they're not mixed in the verses and chorus to cover the vocals. Perhaps what some here would like is one of those old Orrin Keepnews recordings of Charlie Parker, where he only pressed record for the solos. This is a band.

Date: November 20, 2011 00:49

LieB
scottkeef

Yeah. Especially considering that this tour was probably when Keith and Mick T were more divided than they ever were between rhythm and lead. Keith played a lot of open G chords and few leads (in '72 he was on main lead guitar on Bitch and Bye Bye Johnny, in late '73 it was mostly just on Star Star) while Mick T noodled away more often than not. But they were still "weaving", they complemented each other wonderfully and traded licks in a way that was never really to reoccur in the Stones career.

Yes. But Keith also plays solos on Honky Tonk Women and Midnight Rambler (where both guitarists play solos). MT's inversions and "rhythm" guitar on Honky Tonk Women is a highlight.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: November 20, 2011 01:09

Hey I'd like to know is this version is complete evening show or is mix afternoon and evening ? Any songs from this show missing ?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 20, 2011 01:11

Its a mix of the two.

Brown Sugar, Midnight Rambler and Street Fighting Man are from the previously bootlegged first show, and apparently theyve punched in Taylor's solo from the first show's version on All Down The Line, as he botched it on the second show.

The rest are from the second show, which has only been bootlegged as an incomplete recording until now.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: November 20, 2011 01:22

thanks Gazza. Can You tell me was set list the same both shows in Brussels ?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: November 20, 2011 01:30

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: November 20, 2011 01:36

steel driving hammer
Taylor was mixed too low because Keith most always thought Taylors guitar was too loud anyway.

Which it was.
Yes Taylor may be excellent ( I watched today LSTNT Bluray with MJ interview who agrees) but he is not the RS. This is a band with great players who deserve to be heard.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-20 01:37 by toomuchforme.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 20, 2011 02:34

On SF who is singing counterpoint? Is that Mick Taylor, because his guitar is on the same channel.

The new version lacks a feeling of "audience and performer buzz" that the original has. The "buzz" in the original bootleg is palatable, you can feel a "rush" permeating the audience/performer/music. It's like everybody just did a fat line. lol

In the new release the vocals are much clearer. Same for the horn section and the organ, and those mysterious non-KR backing vocals.

Date: November 20, 2011 03:33

Gazza
Its a mix of the two.

Brown Sugar, Midnight Rambler and Street Fighting Man are from the previously bootlegged first show, and apparently theyve punched in Taylor's solo from the first show's version on All Down The Line, as he botched it on the second show.

The rest are from the second show, which has only been bootlegged as an incomplete recording until now.

OK, thanks for the info. The unadulterated 2nd show performance of ADTL is available on "The Stars In The Sky...." Interesting to compare the two. It is a troublesome performance by MT possibly with some sound/speaker/amp problems. He seems distracted, then stops playing all together at points.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 20, 2011 04:06

CousinC
Erik_Snow
I wonder if Rolling Stones decided to release this 2nd Brussels show instead of the 1st show; just to "please us who allready had the bootleg"; or if it was the "producer/researcher" for this official release who wanted to "please us" - without Mick and Keith really knowing that they released a show which not QUITE as hot as the "famous Brussels show" ? ....even though it's still brilliant of course. That....I wonder about
Im wondering about these things as well!

But whatever happened - the marketing is/was not too clever.Confusing many people.
Besides some people will consider it all old stuff and won't buy; others could be a bit disapointed because they expected the well known classic Brussels Affair version.
A bit more information about this fantastic release . . !!

Yes the lack of marketing was not too clever. And this is another reason why I'm suspicious about Rolling Stones themselves actually not knowing that everything but THREE tracks here was NOT the same as the "Brussels Affair" bootleg.
Not a *major issue* - I know. Still....would be nice to know.

Also....it's an interesting thing; because if the future 5 live releases, next year, also will be "quite different" from the "bootlegs", when it comes to song/source selection.

Date: November 20, 2011 04:09

paulm
sydney will have to be released and if memory serves vienna was smoking as well.

You think Taylor's too low, as well. Seems most of us thinks so

Yes Vienna was fantastic when taking in consideration of it being the opening night of the tour.....which is often quite ragged and nervous affair. But it's still not comparable with the best performances like Brussels, Berlin, London, Antwerpen etc (IMO).

BTW; Baton Rouge 1975 was also a terrific tour opener....great energy; allthough it was filled with quite a lot more mistakes than Vienna 1973

Date: November 20, 2011 04:16

CousinC
I've seen a few shows on the 73 tour. And I remember that Jagger shoutet out for "George" on many dates. I think it was kinda part of that tour like water showers, etc.

Main new "events" on the 73 tour were: barricades in front of stage for 1. time in Europe.
The huge mirrors above the stage which could be turned to audience.
And the lighting of the hall shortly before end of performance. (Mick calling out for George - Turn on the light . .) Sometimes it seems he called him through the gigs as well. In the US the lighting had been done before . .

The big mirrors....yes; I know about them - it seemed to be quite effectful; from what I've read. It's still strange that Jagger gave such much attention to one single man during several concerts of the tour. Jagger's more proffesional than that; usually.

The barricades.....I've seen photos of barricades on for instance the Birmingham Odeon concerts, making the gap to the stage quite big. But on other concerts, the barricades wasn't such a dramatic thing at all....smaller barricades, or just difference in lenght between the audience and the stage ?

Brussels oct 17th 1973 - 1st

scanned by Jean Marie

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 20, 2011 04:33

thrak
thanks Gazza. Can You tell me was set list the same both shows in Brussels ?

No.

The only 'variable' in set lists for the last few weeks of the tour was whether they played 'Mr D' or 'Heartbreaker'.

At some shows early in the tour, they played both, but usually it was one or the other.

In the last couple of weeks of the tour, if they had two shows on the one day, they seem to have alternated them.

'Mr D' was played at the first show in Brussels. 'Heartbreaker' wasnt.

The setlist for the second show isnt confirmed as the audience recording missed a few songs - including the part where they would have played either of these two songs.

So, it appears from the setlist for this download and the fact that the version of Mr D included on it isn't from the first show that on this occasion they played BOTH songs. Something they hadnt done on any show with a known setlist since mid-September.

I can only assume that maybe because they were recording these shows with a view to an official release that they chose to maximise their options by playing them both.

So, it appears that both shows had the same setlist - but that for the 2nd show, instead of replacing Mr D with Heartbreaker, they played both, making it a 15-song set instead of a 14-song one.

If I'm not mistaken (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong), this means that from the first show, we have the full gig as a soundboard from various sources. From the second show, we're missing Brown Sugar, Midnight Rambler and Street Fighting Man from sbd/broadcast sources. As Mathijs has pointed out, 'All Down The Line' on the new release comes from the 2nd show, with Taylor's botched solo replaced by punching in his solo from the 1st show. The complete ADTL from the 2nd show has appeared on some bootlegs in broadcast form.

Brown Sugar, Street Fighting Man and Midnight Rambler seem to be uncirculated from the 2nd show in either audience or soundboard form. Can anyone confirm?

Good article here well worth reading - [www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-20 04:35 by Gazza.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1087
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home