Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Songs the Stons have never played well live.
Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: November 17, 2011 18:21

There are certain songs he Stones have never been able to play as well as the recorded version. Personally I wish they wouldn't play them live because of this fact. To me its always a downer because of it. And on live albums I have to skip over them. Does anyone have any others?

Brown Sugar

Street Fighting Man

Jumping Jack Flash

All Down the Line

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-17 18:44 by brianwalker.

Re: Songs the Stons have never played well live.
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 17, 2011 18:29

Sway.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 17, 2011 18:32

There are many good live versions of JJF, even on ABB.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: November 17, 2011 18:36

I may be in the minority but I feel that way about "Shattered". I love the studio cut: not so much for the live versions.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: November 17, 2011 18:38

Really have to disagree with some of your choices. Brown Sugar - Leeds 71, Philly 72, Brussels 73, some 75 versions, 78, some 81 versions particularly Buffalo.

Street Fighting Man - Ya-Yas, Brussels

All Down The Line - one of their best live songs if you ask me. With Taylor or Wood.

Actual songs played poorly live - Far Away Eyes never as good as on the record. Tops though they never really gave it a chance. Rocks Off except for the 72 versions but even that is no match for the Exile version.

Posted by: ImDeRankOutsider ()
Date: November 17, 2011 18:44

How come Keith never pulled of the intro in Rocks Off like the way it sounds on the album, All Down The Line as well...??

could it be that in Nelcotte the guitars went out of tune due to the heat,
and it got a unique sound?

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: November 17, 2011 20:33

brianwalker
There are certain songs he Stones have never been able to play as well as the recorded version. Personally I wish they wouldn't play them live because of this fact. To me its always a downer because of it. And on live albums I have to skip over them. Does anyone have any others?

Brown Sugar

Street Fighting Man

Jumping Jack Flash

All Down the Line

I like the live versions much better. In fact, I rarely listen to non live Stones CD's. I prefer their DVD's. Never did like Brown Sugar or Honkey Tonk Women live or the studio versions.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 18, 2011 06:15

Sister Morphine was a letdown in 1997 mainly because Jagger didn't play the acoustic part very well. You Got the Silver and Moonlight Mile were both disappointing when they finally broke them out in 1999.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 18, 2011 06:39

Tops in Philadelphia, JFK stadium in 1981.....i hope they try it again...I love Tops

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 18, 2011 06:46

sf37
I may be in the minority but I feel that way about "Shattered". I love the studio cut: not so much for the live versions.

Pretty much everything played from "Some Girls" AFTER 1981 sounded weak.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: November 18, 2011 07:01

Almost Hear You Sigh and Rock and a Hard Place from Steel Wheels.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 18, 2011 07:55

brianwalker

Brown Sugar

Street Fighting Man

Jumping Jack Flash

All Down the Line

Hello, Planet earth calling. All four of these played brilliantly on Brussels Affair, just released.

Date: November 18, 2011 07:58

ImDeRankOutsider
How come Keith never pulled of the intro in Rocks Off like the way it sounds on the album, All Down The Line as well...??

could it be that in Nelcotte the guitars went out of tune due to the heat,
and it got a unique sound?

He changed the intro and break on ADTL. It's much cruder live. Don't know why he did that. Rocks Off they have never gotten right. The problem with that one is that the vocal changes a whole octave and it's hard to sing, and the bridge is really hard to feel.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 18, 2011 08:00

71Tele
brianwalker

Brown Sugar

Street Fighting Man

Jumping Jack Flash

All Down the Line

Hello, Planet earth calling. All four of these played brilliantly on Brussels Affair, just released.

Did Ya Yas never happen?

If I'm not mistaken didn't they try She's A Rainbow once and it fell flat on its face? I can't imagine anyone but Nicky Hopkins pulling that off.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 18, 2011 08:24

This is really a matter of opinion but I have never heard a well played 'Satisfaction' from Stones...they always rush threw it....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 11:17

brianwalker

Brown Sugar

Street Fighting Man

Jumping Jack Flash

All Down the Line

Damn! To each their own, but these four songs I think the Stones rock out way better live than the studio versions, especially SFM and JJF! Just my opinion.

Date: November 18, 2011 12:15

georgeV
Almost Hear You Sigh and Rock and a Hard Place from Steel Wheels.

Isn't this well enough for you???

To me, it sound awesome!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-18 12:16 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 13:34

Rock and a Hard Place was awesome live!

I felt that the following were never as good as they should have been live:

Sway
Love Is Strong
Rocks Off (with exception of some 72 versions)

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 18, 2011 13:36

confused smiley only me that haven't heard a descent version of Satisfaction live is my conclusion right now....

2 1 2 0

Date: November 18, 2011 13:39

Come On
confused smiley only me that haven't heard a descent version of Satisfaction live is my conclusion right now....

What's wrong with the Still Life version? My favorite.

I didn't like the 69 versions, mainly because they didn't play the riff properly.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: November 18, 2011 14:20

sf37

Agreed

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 18, 2011 14:34

My only two real disapointments :
- Sway : they never got the groove right
- Anybody seen my Baby : ungroovy too and "empty".

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 18, 2011 14:39

71Tele
brianwalker

Brown Sugar

Street Fighting Man

Jumping Jack Flash

All Down the Line

thumbs up

JJF and SFM are pretty stellar on Ya Yas as well.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: November 18, 2011 14:52

it´s only rock´n´roll
recently i heard the studio-cut and was amazed, how good it is. live, especially after 89/90 it´s quite poor

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 18, 2011 15:06

Fingerprint File

Let Me Go

Both great songs in studio, but horrible on LYL resp. Still Live and during that tours resp. at all

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 17:29

There's absolutely nothing good about this version. Mick's soulless singing, Ron's terrible solos. And who knows what Keith is playing.

Posted by: brianwalker ()
Date: November 18, 2011 18:22

71Tele
brianwalker

Brown Sugar

Street Fighting Man

Jumping Jack Flash

All Down the Line

And none of them have ever been played as well and as tight as the album version IMO. On the Brussels affair I skip right over them like every other time they are played live.

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: November 18, 2011 18:41

brianwalker

Brown Sugar

Street Fighting Man

Jumping Jack Flash

All Down the Line

Sometimes they seem to be going through the motions, so to speak.But when those tunes were new, the band played them with gusto.Especially 69'-Eruo. 73'.

Not a huge fan of the Grateful Dead, but I always appreciated the fact they mixed up the set list to try and keep themselves interested.

Posted by: cookwazzahoe ()
Date: November 18, 2011 18:44

Shattered
they've never been able to nail it

Date: November 18, 2011 18:57

Come On
This is really a matter of opinion but I have never heard a well played 'Satisfaction' from Stones...they always rush threw it....

Ya Yas version is the only great live one. Tempo is groovy, and Richards and Taylor are locked in like never before or since.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1078
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home