Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: SOME GIRLS BONUS DISC REVIEWS
Date: November 27, 2011 21:58

Caning, he means caning.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 27, 2011 22:03

KRiffhard
silkcut1978_
Mathijs

So, that leaves Tallahassee Lassie, I Love You Too Much, When You’re Gone and You Win Again. Nice tracks, nice to have. Will we play it in another 3 months? I doubt it. Will we be playing the smack-in-your-face-faults-and-all Brussels Affair? Sure we will, for the next 30 years. And we will play it LOUD!

Mathijs

I don't know how big your family is but just in case you mean "we - the people on this board" I doubt that you have a clue of what I will be playing for the next 30 years. I love this Brussels thing and the completist in me is happy to have it (and I'm waiting impatiently for the next releases) BUT now I have heard it twice and that's it for a while. As far as I can say the bonus-disc of SG will be my partner for many years to come. For me it's better than Emotional Reescue and Tattoo You and it's full of fun and pleasure.

Hard to believe that there's somebody out there who really prefers the cacophonic vocals of "Some People Tell Me" over the new version. For me "Keep Up Blues" is a great track on a great album, "Some People Tell Me" was hardly good enough for a bootleg. But to be honest I had a good laugh when you complain about Mick's harp-sound which is 25 years old - should fit a lot better to this song then the 2011 vocals, don't you think so?

..it's hard to believe but i prefer the powerfull vocals of "Some People Tell me" instead of Jagger's nasal voice on 'Keep up blues'. I'm totally agree with Mathijs when he says that "The interplay between Richards’ Robert Johnson finer picking and Wood’s slide is gone –the slide is mixed to the back ground, and a new guitar doesn’t add anything to Richards’ playing."

Yes, "Some People Tell Me" is a guitar based track in the original with heavy drums which drive the guitars forward. Now is the guitar work mixed in the background. It is a great blues tune yet, but the unique atmosphere is gone, not at least due to the (too) prominent harp. It had been better if they had added a third guitar in the solo passages, playing a solo similar to the features of the old track, it should have been Ronnies task, he is great in playing rhythm featured solos. Also the growling vovals of the original are unique, maybe MJ should have reworked them carefully with a only slightly growling "socially acceptable" aspect leaving the ferocity of the original aside. At leat we own the original in its unique nature. But, in fact, often "overproduced" tracks are a shame.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 27, 2011 22:24

WilliamPatrickMaynard
I am puzzled how Mary knows I have a small mouth.

At least, I didn't say you have a tiny one. I just speculated that someone has a bigger, um, mouth

Date: November 28, 2011 00:47

...but huge jowls. Say that I have huge jowls and all will be well.

Date: December 1, 2011 22:12

Regardless of Mick's new vocals on whatever, the country songs are worth the price for this reissue. Do You Think I Really Care and No Spare Parts are excellent, as well as You Win Again. I'm even beginning to like Don't Be A Stranger and I Love You Too Much somehow.

Tallahassee Lassie is excellent. And So Young is better than the 1994 version, perhaps because it falls apart at the end.

Still not sure about Claudine or the two blues tunes, especially Keep Up Blues. That just reeks of Mick's 'being current' attitude. The music aspect of the songs is great. It reminds me of and sounds like the Mick on Gunface and Might As Well Get Juiced for some reason.

Date: December 1, 2011 23:36

Gee, I liked all of them with only "So Young" seeming superfluous given that the 1994 B-side was reissued earlier this year.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: December 1, 2011 23:45

its sad that 35 minutes of the bonus disc is empty.......fiji jim....8track versions..not the way to go.....everything turning to gold.....so many options...oh well

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 1, 2011 23:49

GOO
its sad that 35 minutes of the bonus disc is empty.......fiji jim....8track versions..not the way to go.....everything turning to gold.....so many options...oh well

this was done intentionally to enable the user to fill in the missing space as he/she sees fit. i've done so with pleasing results.

Date: December 1, 2011 23:55

intentionally???...i rather have vault versions....

Date: December 1, 2011 23:56

GOO
intentionally???...i rather have vault versions....

the stones know what's best for you, even if you don't

Date: December 1, 2011 23:58

lol....yer right.....

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: December 2, 2011 07:09

I like the bonus material.

I like the Exile bonus material too.

I've got all the boots of outtakes, as I gather so do most on this board, so what exactly is all the fuss about?

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 2, 2011 07:33

I must say I just love "We Had It All". It's really too bad Keith waited so long to do a solo record. I liked "Talk Is Cheap" but would have loved a record with more of his country side. That voice!

Date: December 2, 2011 09:49

71Tele
I must say I just love "We Had It All". It's really too bad Keith waited so long to do a solo record. I liked "Talk Is Cheap" but would have loved a record with more of his country side. That voice!

+ 1

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 2, 2011 10:21

Mathijs
I think the album is a huge disappointment, and in my opinion it just isn’t interesting at all.

First, I am not interested in re-worked outtakes. Second, most of the tracks on this deluxe version are second rate –there’s so much more and so much better outtakes available.

I agree with Mathijs that it is interesting to listen to outtakes and learn more about the proces
of creating the songs and selecting what comes on the album and what not.

BUT:

I don't think the intention of publishing "12 previously not released songs" was to provide
fans like us with outtakes we already have. What I think is valuable about this deluxe album
is that it shows us what these initially omitted songs sound like when they are finished.
"Something to take the wife to" if you catch my drift.

The extra's on the deluxe Exile album gave us some of the unfinished versions of Tumbling
Dice, Loving Cup and Soul Survivor, and though these were "interesting" they all are less
enjoyable than the versions that made it to the album. That makes the Exile bonus disk something
only for the hardcore fans. The Some Girls bonus disk has a lot to offer for everybody who
just likes to rock out with some good tunes.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: December 2, 2011 17:22

marcovandereijk
Mathijs
I think the album is a huge disappointment, and in my opinion it just isn’t interesting at all.

First, I am not interested in re-worked outtakes. Second, most of the tracks on this deluxe version are second rate –there’s so much more and so much better outtakes available.

I agree with Mathijs that it is interesting to listen to outtakes and learn more about the proces

BUT:

I don't think the intention of publishing "12 previously not released songs" was to provide
fans like us with outtakes we already have. What I think is valuable about this deluxe album
is that it shows us what these initially omitted songs sound like when they are finished.

The extra's on the deluxe Exile album gave us some of the unfinished versions of Tumbling
Dice, Loving Cup and Soul Survivor, and though these were "interesting" they all are less
enjoyable than the versions that made it to the album. That makes the Exile bonus disk something
only for the hardcore fans. The Some Girls bonus disk has a lot to offer for everybody who

That is a big difference to the Exile one. This Some Girls disc 2 has more good songs on it than the Exile one does. And with going with the difference you highlighted this Some Girls disc 2 is a new Stones album - or as new as we're gonna get. For now at least. It plays as an album anyway, where as the Exile one is more like an double EP.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 2, 2011 19:47

...I mean who cares if one or 100 are not interested in re worked out takes that some say are inferior. The artist disagrees....and it's his shit on the line...not some amateurs....love the tunes and the attitude....Let's hope they release some more eventually.

Date: December 2, 2011 21:50

Mathijs

Mathijs: If that is true why do you think they simply didn't select the strongest outtakes?

Date: December 2, 2011 21:52

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
marcovandereijk
Mathijs

BUT:

That is a big difference to the Exile one. This Some Girls disc 2 has more good songs on it than the Exile one does. And with going with the difference you highlighted this Some Girls disc 2 is a new Stones album - or as new as we're gonna get. For now at least. It plays as an album anyway, where as the Exile one is more like an double EP.

Agree completely. It's a far better album than their last "real" album, imo. I was hoping the Exile extras would be the same quality, but alas...

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: December 2, 2011 23:08

I am really enjoying these recordings, mainly because they catch the feel of the original record, they are not as strong songs of course, but they catch the atmosphere of the old LP and dont feel so artificial as the Exile outtakes somehow. I think it has a lot to do with the harp playing.
A few other comments; Keiths voice on We had it all is great. I also think Mick has been checking out Keiths adventures with Tom Waits on When Your Gone by his phrasing. The drum sound is generally great and more fun than Bigger Bang for sure smiling smiley. I also dont understand the comments about the bootleg versions of these songs they mostly have shit sound and I have loads of them. Love you too much is for instance much better.
A fun release, but I find it amazing that like Exile not one of these songs would replace one on the original release, Mick was always a master of quality control

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-02 23:09 by humanriff77.

Posted by: tops06 ()
Date: December 3, 2011 18:02

Finally got to listen to CD2. I think the Stones did a great job with these "new" songs. They continue to grow on me with each listen.

Only criticism is, I wish they had added a few more songs. Alternate versions of songs on CD1 would have been nice too.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 3, 2011 18:41

I'm not slamming the release - what I've heard is good my only complaint is where is Everlasting Is My Love?

New Album - MORE Girls!
Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: December 4, 2011 08:38

God the bonus Some Girls disk is great - not perfect, but great. Only a couple of songs I'd consider just OK. Who needs an actual new album when we can have Tallahassee Lassie, Claudine, So Young, No Spare Parts, We Had It All, Do You Really Think I Care, You Win Again, Keep Up Blues, You Win Again. I just don't think they have it in them to come up with stuff this good any more, from scratch... Anyway, nice way to usher in the 50th, along with Live in Texas, Brussels, and more to come. I couldn't be happier.

And the queen is bravely shouting,
"What the hell is going on?"

Re: New Album - MORE Girls!
Date: December 4, 2011 12:58

bigbang
God the bonus Some Girls disk is great - not perfect, but great. Only a couple of songs I'd consider just OK. Who needs an actual new album when we can have Tallahassee Lassie, Claudine, So Young, No Spare Parts, We Had It All, Do You Really Think I Care, You Win Again, Keep Up Blues, You Win Again. I just don't think they have it in them to come up with stuff this good any more, from scratch... Anyway, nice way to usher in the 50th, along with Live in Texas, Brussels, and more to come. I couldn't be happier.

supposin' the couple songs that were just ok were fabulous...would you be happier then?

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: December 5, 2011 00:42

StonesTod
bigbang

supposin' the couple songs that were just ok were fabulous...would you be happier then?

by definition, no.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: December 5, 2011 03:24

Despite being a cover, We Had It All really does stand up against anything else in the Stones' catelogue.

Date: December 5, 2011 03:46

bigbang
StonesTod
bigbang

by definition, no.

wow...you're just one of those annoyingly happy types....

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: December 5, 2011 04:48

DON'T BE A STRANGER WORKS BETTER FOR ME THAN LUCKY IN LOVE IMHO. ON THE FIRST LISTEN I DIDNAE LIKE THE NEW LYRICS BUT NOW THEY MAKE MORE SENSE. MUCH MUCH BETTER THAN THE EXILE OVERDUBS.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 5, 2011 12:47

MadMax
DON'T BE A STRANGER WORKS BETTER FOR ME THAN LUCKY IN LOVE IMHO. ON THE FIRST LISTEN I DIDNAE LIKE THE NEW LYRICS BUT NOW THEY MAKE MORE SENSE. MUCH MUCH BETTER THAN THE EXILE OVERDUBS.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 6, 2011 10:25

I've received it today with a free 2012 calendar poster.
January to June are printed on this calendar.
Where has the second half gone?confused smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1644
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home