Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: SOME GIRLS BONUS DISC REVIEWS
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: November 19, 2011 05:54

Can you people that have it answer a question for me? I was thinking about buying the Gift Case Set, which doesn't appear to come with any of the regular album packaging. Does the regular Deluxe Edition come with a booklet that I would really be missing out on or is it pretty standard? I know the Exile re-issue booklet was pretty bare bones, and if Some Girls is the same I wouldn't mind, but if it's pretty nice I might think twice about the Gift Case Set. I mean the keychain, guitar picks and buttons would be cool, but I'm a sucker for good liner notes.

Posted by: Eirik ()
Date: November 19, 2011 09:19

There are some pictures I haven't seen before. The bonus track credits are two pages.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 19, 2011 09:54

>> Can you people that have it answer a question for me? I was thinking about buying the Gift Case Set ... <<

you know the "gift case set" doesn't include the disk of newly-released outtakes, right?
just the basic Some Girls. i'd be tempted too if it included both disks

[www.amazon.com]

the USB stick in the "wig box set" intrigues me a lot, but not quite $82 worth

[www.amazon.com]

so for now i'm sticking with the basic two-disk set

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-19 09:55 by with sssoul.

Date: November 19, 2011 10:52

with sssoul

you know the "gift case set" doesn't include the disk of newly-released outtakes, right?
just the basic Some Girls. i'd be tempted too if it included both disks

According to the description on the Stones website it has the second disc. And why wouldn't it?

It says:

Rolling Stones Some Girls CD Case Box Set

The Deluxe edition of Some Girls includes the remastered 2-disc set of the groundbreaking album that introduced the music of the Rolling Stones to a new generation of fans. In addition to the original album, the box set also includes 12 never released outtakes, as well as a limited edition 24-disc CD holder, a 4-pack guitar pick set featuring the Rolling Stones classic Tongue design, a button 4-pack and the Some Girls metal keychain. Each set is numbered and only 1250 pieces were created. Add it to your collection today!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-19 10:53 by NoCode0680.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 19, 2011 11:58

as strange as it may seems both the gift case and the wig box apparently come with "1 disc" at least from Amazon if you consider their "product details"
even stranger is the fact that if you look at the wig box set image you clearly see 2 disc and the case of what seems to be the bonus DVD that again is not included in the product details
a little mess, isn't it?
anyone here to clear that?

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 19, 2011 12:55

Eirik
Nice songs. Rock'n Roll, Blues, Country. I like the b-side version of So Young from Love Is Strong better, though. I don't know why you guys think the vocals on Don't Be A Stranger are so horrible ????? But the cd is so loud. Again...

Don't Be A Stranger is great and there are lots of good words about the song on the board. But people who hate all modern Jagger-related obviously hate Don't Be A Stranger too.
The irony is the fact that they can hardly distinguish the difference between 77 and 2011 vocals, say, on I Love You Too Much when they thought it's 2011's Jagger it was awful, then it was turned out to be 77 - and ok.
Both songs are very good and I love how Mick sings no matter what year

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: November 19, 2011 13:09

proudmary
Eirik
Nice songs. Rock'n Roll, Blues, Country. I like the b-side version of So Young from Love Is Strong better, though. I don't know why you guys think the vocals on Don't Be A Stranger are so horrible ????? But the cd is so loud. Again...

Don't Be A Stranger is great and there are lots of good words about the song on the board. But people who hate all modern Jagger-related obviously hate Don't Be A Stranger too.
The irony is the fact that they can hardly distinguish the difference between 77 and 2011 vocals, say, on I Love You Too Much when they thought it's 2011's Jagger it was awful, then it was turned out to be 77 - and ok.

Nobody in this thread claims any such things....

Date: November 19, 2011 14:56

maumau
as strange as it may seems both the gift case and the wig box apparently come with "1 disc" at least from Amazon if you consider their "product details"
even stranger is the fact that if you look at the wig box set image you clearly see 2 disc and the case of what seems to be the bonus DVD that again is not included in the product details
a little mess, isn't it?
anyone here to clear that?

i tried asking amazon, and they said all they know is what it says in their product description:
both the "wig box" and the "gift case" come with only one disk, although the "wig box" USB stick does include the outtakes.
(i pointed out that the wig box photo shows two disks, but they just kept saying they have no clue, and finally i believed them tongue sticking out smiley)

i asked the Stones site the same questions and they gormlessly wrote back that since amazon is the vendor
only amazon knows what the sets contain eye rolling smiley

i would love it if a lot more people would ask both of those sites to clarify!

Date: November 19, 2011 18:18

NoCode0680
According to the description on the Stones website it has the second disc. And why wouldn't it?

It says:

The Deluxe edition of Some Girls includes the remastered 2-disc set of the groundbreaking album that introduced the music of the Rolling Stones to a new generation of fans. In addition to the original album, the box set also includes 12 never released outtakes, as well as a limited edition 24-disc CD holder, a 4-pack guitar pick set featuring the Rolling Stones classic Tongue design, a button 4-pack and the Some Girls metal keychain. Each set is numbered and only 1250 pieces were created. Add it to your collection today!

could you provide a link to exactly where you found that on the Stones' site, please and thank you kindly?
(and as for "why wouldn't it" : to make us buy more versions of everything, of course!
i love the Rolling Stones, and they've never been shy about makin money :E )

Date: November 19, 2011 18:39

with sssoul
NoCode0680

It says:

could you provide a link to exactly where you found that on the Stones' site, please and thank you kindly?
(and as for "why wouldn't it" : to make us buy more versions of everything, of course!
i love the Rolling Stones, and they've never been shy about makin money :E )

Sure.

[rollingstones.shop.bravadousa.com]

I know they aren't shy about making money, but I wouldn't have thought they would do something like that. As for the Amazon descriptions, I don't think they know what they have half the time. I mailed RollingStones.com last night to ask them if it has both discs, don't know how long it will take for them to get back to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-19 18:40 by NoCode0680.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: November 19, 2011 20:53

GREAT XTRA TRACKS DISC...

SOULSURVIVOR

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: November 19, 2011 21:35

I think overall they're pretty great. It's certainly a welcome addition to the catalog.

Don't Be A Stranger is going to take some getting used to.
I love the Bootleg version so much that it's hard to get used to the new vocals, even though I don't think he's done a bad job.

Love You Too Much has some edits that are a little bit jarring in headphones, but the track itself is pretty great.

Petrol Gang sounds like they couldn't locate the master so they got a bootleg of it and applied some noise reduction, eq and edits etc.

Now let's have some more please!!!!!

Date: November 19, 2011 21:45

NoCode0680
I know they aren't shy about making money, but I wouldn't have thought they would do something like that.

LoFL - they do things just like that all the time! and/or license their merchandising rights to people who do.
anyway thanks for the link (that item's not on the European version of the RS site)
- i've sent it to amazon to try to get them to keep investigating this issue,
and i look forward to hearing whether the RS site tells you anything more sensible than what i got out of them.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 19, 2011 21:45

Vocalion
Claudine

fast version, you can listen to it at Ron Woods Radio Show

So Young

New version, vocals are a blend of 1977 - 1994 - 2011 IMO

Do You Really Think I Really Care

2011 upfront vocals and a very small Ian Stwart solo thing.

When You're Gone

2011 vocals blown thru an old mic at the beginning (or some sort of effect)

No Spare Parts

You can listen to it on IORR

Don't Be A Stranger

New HORRIBLE 2011 vocals (Sexy Eyes / Lucky in Love bootleg titles)

We Had It All

Not the same vocals as from the well know boot version, GREAT GREAT GREAT!

Tallahassee Lassie

Some Nice Jagger vocals, quite RAW, it's from RCA 1978, Very nice!

I Love You Too Much

You can listen to it on IORR

Keep Up Blues

NEVER HEARD BEFORE version of Some People Tell me. Vocals + harmonica are 2011
The "That's It" at the very end is still there, but different.

You Win Again

2011 Vocals, back-up vocals are nice (Mick and MAYBE far far away some old once
from Keith)

Petrol Blues

Original Vocals! Piano error not present anymore. Cut after 1:36

Vocals are not so bad as on Exile, Jaggers 2011 Vocals work a bit better on
this Some Girls Bonus Disc.

Thanks for your short review, I think the end "That's it" is a resudue from the original we all know ... "Keep Up Blues" is sensational, best Stones tune of the last years in the new version, but I prefer the old one with the more aggressive attitude, the howling, growling Jagger.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 19, 2011 21:48

And there are more guitars in the old version "Some People Tell Me", the interweavimg is more prominent, the new version is great, however ...

Date: November 19, 2011 21:54

with sssoul
NoCode0680
I know they aren't shy about making money, but I wouldn't have thought they would do something like that.

LoFL - they do things just like that all the time! and/or license their merchandising rights to people who do.
anyway thanks for the link (that item's not on the European version of the RS site)
- i've sent it to amazon to try to get them to keep investigating this issue,
and i look forward to hearing whether the RS site tells you anything more sensible than what i got out of them.

Ah, well I normally just buy the CD's and DVD's, and never got them from the official site, so I haven't had a lot of experience with the RS merchandising machine.

I got a reply from Bravado Merchandising, a very helpful (sarcasm intended) fellow named Bill replied to my question by saying this:

"Thank you for taking the time to email Bravado. We have 5 versions of this Pre-Order posted on the website that can be reached with this link:

(Provided a link to the page with all the different versions on it)

If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us."

I replied saying that didn't answer my question, and asked it again, we'll see what happens now. Either "Bill" is just an automated e-mail reply, or he purposely chose not to answer a simple question, either way I'm not impressed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-19 21:55 by NoCode0680.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: November 19, 2011 21:55

New Some Girls available on pir****bay with all extras

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: November 19, 2011 21:58

It's a pitty they did not upgrade the sound of the official promo clips of Miss You, Respectable and Faraway Eyes on the bonus DVD.
They were done with Mick singing live over the studio backing track.
Probably they could not restore these vocals and mix them with the latest remasters of these songs.
They now sound very muddy.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 19, 2011 23:57

"I Love You Too Much"
where are the deliciously atonal backing vocals by Keith...? Buried in the mix!

"Do You Really Think I Really Care"
this version runs much faster than the bootlegged one. Is it possible that Was & Jagger sped it up before they added new vocals or what we heard on boots was too slow?

"We Had It All"
It's amazing... but the (added in 2011?) harp is annoying.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-20 00:14 by dcba.

Re: The Words of One Syllable Department
Date: November 20, 2011 00:12

NoCode0680
I got a reply from Bravado Merchandising, a very helpful (sarcasm intended) fellow named Bill replied to my question by saying this:

"Thank you for taking the time to email Bravado. We have 5 versions of this Pre-Order posted on the website that can be reached with this link ....

and here's what amazon replied to my plea that they clarify whether it's their information that's wrong or RS.com's:

"Thanks for contacting us with your query. I apologize for any inconvenience.
I was able to locate the item you referenced in your message, Some Girls Gift Case Set,
on our website. But, I don't have further details about the item — all the information available
is displayed on each item's product detail page or is accessible from that page (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0060FNT6G).

Since our customer service centers aren't in the same location as our fulfillment centers,
I'm unable to check the physical details of the item for you.

If you'd like to contact The Rolling Stones, you can reach them at:
Phone : (212) 484-1616 ...
Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?" eye rolling smiley

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 20, 2011 00:23

Mick did a great vocal on Do You Think I Really Care. Not quite as carelessly cool as the original scratch vocal but really good. Great song.

Re: The Words of One Syllable Department
Date: November 20, 2011 00:23

with sssoul
NoCode0680

"Thank you for taking the time to email Bravado. We have 5 versions of this Pre-Order posted on the website that can be reached with this link ....

and here's what amazon replied to my plea that they clarify whether it's their information that's wrong or RS.com's:

"Thanks for contacting us with your query. I apologize for any inconvenience.
I was able to locate the item you referenced in your message, Some Girls Gift Case Set,
on our website. But, I don't have further details about the item — all the information available
is displayed on each item's product detail page or is accessible from that page (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0060FNT6G).

Since our customer service centers aren't in the same location as our fulfillment centers,
I'm unable to check the physical details of the item for you.

If you'd like to contact The Rolling Stones, you can reach them at:
Phone : (212) 484-1616 ...
Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?" eye rolling smiley

Sounds like a lot of runaround. At this point I think I'm just going to order it from the Stones site, and if I don't get the bonus disc I'll point to the description saying it comes with the outtakes as either grounds for them to send me the bonus disc or to accept my return. I'll take a screenshot of the page/description in case it gets changed.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 20, 2011 00:29

dcba, the harp on "We Had It All" sounds just like the bootleg version with harp intro but thats just to my ears. I was surprised to hear a what seems like a different vocal since the ones we are familiar with is so finished. I like it tho, or is it just the same vocal mixed differently?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-20 00:30 by scottkeef.

Date: November 20, 2011 02:40

with sssoul, I think we can assume it probably comes with both discs like the RS.com description says. I know Amazon says 1 disc, but it also says just 1 disc for the hat box set, and that definitely comes with both discs, you can even see them in the product picture. I think this is just a misunderstanding because Amazon has no clue what they have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-20 02:41 by NoCode0680.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 20, 2011 04:19

Vocalion
proudmary
Eirik

Well that's a nonsense statement (proudmary's I mean). 2 people - or was it one - thought the 1977 vocals came from 2011; and several of us replied immediately that it wasn't the case. Did it have to take 200 "No that's not the case"-posts to satisfy proudmary?

Date: November 20, 2011 04:59

Let's be grateful and stop complaining about the art of interoperation. At least the Stones are touching up before giving us the "lost" sessions. As a bootleg completist I long questioned the exil releases..never ever heard or had Plundered My Soul...even as an instrumental. But it was the stand out. The rest was mediocre. Some Girls is a differnt story. Even the reworkinga are great!the weakest IMO is When your Gone...too modern but good...we could complain all day. My thoughts are where are Someone New/what give you the right( up there with Worried About You)...but the Stones taught us long ago...you can't always get what you want....but you get what you need!

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: November 20, 2011 10:04

Erik_Snow
Vocalion
proudmary
Eirik

Well that's a nonsense statement (proudmary's I mean). 2 people - or was it one - thought the 1977 vocals came from 2011; and several of us replied immediately that it wasn't the case. Did it have to take 200 "No that's not the case"-posts to satisfy proudmary?

There is thread in which people (many rather than one or two) discuss the vocals on I Love You Too Much and 2011 vocal is determined only by the new lyrics.
may be from your point of view it's silly that I like Don't Be A Stranger or other songs or Mick Jagger's voice and vocal style in general - I'm sorry for that, man

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 20, 2011 15:37

proudmary
Erik_Snow
Vocalion
proudmary
Eirik

There is thread in which people (many rather than one or two) discuss the vocals on I Love You Too Much and 2011 vocal is determined only by the new lyrics.
may be from your point of view it's silly that I like Don't Be A Stranger or other songs or Mick Jagger's voice and vocal style in general - I'm sorry for that, man

Again, this is absurd - only 2 people thought the 1977 vocals were the 2011 vocals, on Love You Too Much. And you're truely wrong if you think that the reason for people not liking Jagger's vocals on "Don't Be A Stranger" is "because it's new vocals" - it's because his singing style is real different now, than it was back then.

If you can't hear Mick's different approach to singing in 2011 compared to 1977, then I'm sorry for that, man. Because you obviously don't hear it, since you think us others only "diss it because it's new, and not because what the singing is actually like". We enjoy it or dislike it; depending on we like what we hear. If you like it; then good for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-20 15:42 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 20, 2011 16:34

The only one I will be skipping over on a regular basis is "Dont Be A Stranger". I really thought the "Lucky In Love" idea was much better and whats up with (to my ears anyway) Blues Traveler style harmonica??

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: November 20, 2011 17:28

I am digging it. Surprising amount of country stuff on the second disc. And I like that a lot of the outtakes still sound a little low-fi; helps retain that "bootleg" feel.

"We Had It All" sounds better than ever, and I love "I Love You Too Much" too much. It's like 'When the Whip' and 'Little T&A' had a child together. I'd really like to have seen 'Everlasting Is My Love', but overall I am very happy w/the selections for this reissue.

It's been a good autumn for Stones fans!

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1654
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home