Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: Track Talk: Jig-Saw Puzzle
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 11, 2019 09:09

...it's funny but ya can almost pick most of those who will
have a massive dislike towards Jig-Saw Puzzle before they even answer ……

As for the Dylan thingo …. Well Mr Zimmerman borrowed
all he could from Woody Guthrie even down to his art-work....
So maybe Mick is just channeling back ta Mr Guthrie's talking images style ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: z ()
Date: May 11, 2019 09:28

Good artists copy; great artists steal.
- Pablo Picasso

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 11, 2019 10:31

I have always liked the song very much, even if it for me is outside the more than thirty songs that constitute "their ten best songs all time". (You know how that is.) In the same understanding, I will count the song among "their twenty best songs all time" then, even if there are further candidates to that merit.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 11, 2019 11:45

the atmospherics during the build when Mick's going for the crescendo always moved me;
i didn't dissect it out of the piece like I'm ruminating about now;
but it's coming to mind as we talk about this one...when the grandma''s and the Queen reference there toward the climax...
i guess it was before moogs; i don't know what that is; but i remember it really dramatic and picking me up like a wind; it was worth the build...oh just checked;
Brian on mellotron; that Brian, man; he's a big deal in all this...and slide too;
he probably very conscious of playing those tracks off each other...a little thing I never thought to mention; excuse if it's been covered in this thread; i didn't read every page yet.
i like remembering it; it's so indelible i guess i played it so many times....
...man getting that album was just something else as Eddie Cochran would say; the art work the sequencing...time after time; just everything so perfect for so many records i a row;

i dunno; you sorta expected some cheap filler in a lot of records and the cheesy stuff was just as fun...it's the Stones, bad boys as they are, had to mess everything up with big expectations and have to shrug it of off philosophically with it's only rock and roll lyrics;
a hint of accusatory bitterness in those fun and brilliant lyrics i sometimes overlook;
it was sludgy compared to exile but so is a lot of records; like every other one ever made. it's great; i listen to the studio track a lot
but i was thinking that the Stones messed things up with having so many really, wonderful and uniquely moving tracks that inspired so many Directors and all kinds of other artists who incorporated them into their own art...
...I guess here they're trying to do sort a little more of a 'short story' approach by setting the scenes and character and the uh, protagonists response to the scene bla bla i'm over my head here cause I've never written a play or anything fiction that's not a poem or lyric. If it's lyrically a trifle awkward here and there in a comparative analysis with sftd where every sparse line is a magnificent encyclopedia of history mixed with poetry and drama; shit i hate talking about this magic...
it sometimes reduces it's power for me to be too analytical; yet i lOVE reading criticism and feeling out people's responses and reactions to it...
i love it; i 'mean if i had to compare it to something else mid tempo-ish there'd be probably a truckload ahead of it....that's certainly reflected in my listening back for it over the years; but i still think it's a super great Stones track and love it; Charlie; you know; it's them and they're into it...
Nicky, Bill, Keith acoustic; mick's in great full voice and character; if it came on the radio i'd be shit surprised and awful happy; not much to 'bitch' about for me w this one.
and Brian's on board being perfectly weird.
some sympathy for that boy; i mean he showed up to work and did stuff.
there's that too amidst all the shit slung at his memory;
and all the shit he slung to make it so i guess.
but here he is ; Brian Mick Keith Bill and Charlie.
Nicky came to work it up with them.
as far as 'unsure steps' with the writing and all that; fair enough if people have gone into that; I've read articulate writers cover that angle.
i guess Mick (i'm assuming it's his lyrics but been wrong before)
admitted he was 'trying to work it out' or something close to that,
in the lyric.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-11 11:55 by hopkins.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 11, 2019 12:04

i changed my mind it sucks.

kidding

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 11, 2019 20:38

Rockman
...it's funny but ya can almost pick most of those who will
have a massive dislike towards Jig-Saw Puzzle before they even answer ……

yes, those that like shitty music...

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 11, 2019 21:00

There are over 400 Stones songs on my ever changing Top Ten Stones songs list.
Jig-Saw Puzzle is most definitely one of them.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 12, 2019 14:52

I love it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 12, 2019 17:19

great toon...not a duff track on beggar's, or frankly any of the big 4.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: May 13, 2019 15:22

HMS
This song is one of their best "deep cuts" ever. I could listen to it for hours.. Unfortunately such songs will never surface on any compilation. (Maybe HONK should have had another bonus-CD filled with deep cuts. Lots of them lying around waiting to be picked.

a much better greatest hits album w/b just that...songs that everyone doesn't already know: the non singles, the deep cuts. That, I might buy.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2187
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home