Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Track Talk: Jig-Saw Puzzle
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 17, 2011 20:55

His Majesty
Mathijs

I have not listened to the outtakes recently, but I still would be surprised the slide guitar was done during the recording of the backing track. But Majesty normally knows what he's talking about.

Mathijs

The ongoing session features them recording together, slide guitar, bass, drums and piano.

Mick's providing rough guide vocal and sometimes strumming an acoustic, but that's off mic, it's not being recorded.

smiling smiley

Yeah I know, but in my memory keith's slide during the sessions never went beyond being a mess. The final product is so much more together and defined that I imagine it being done over and over in an overdub session.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 17, 2011 23:49

Mathijs
His Majesty
Mathijs

I have not listened to the outtakes recently, but I still would be surprised the slide guitar was done during the recording of the backing track. But Majesty normally knows what he's talking about.

Mathijs

The ongoing session features them recording together, slide guitar, bass, drums and piano.

Mick's providing rough guide vocal and sometimes strumming an acoustic, but that's off mic, it's not being recorded.

smiling smiley

Yeah I know, but in my memory keith's slide during the sessions never went beyond being a mess. The final product is so much more together and defined that I imagine it being done over and over in an overdub session.

Mathijs

It's a slide train wreck for the early takes, but he gets it more together as the takes go by. The final take on the bootleg CD doesn't sound that far off from the released take.

Posted by: Mock Jogger ()
Date: November 27, 2011 21:58

NeddieFlanders
"I thought it [Jigsaw Puzzle] was a little long..." (Keith Richards)

I don't agree with Keith often. In this case I do. This track is one of the reasons I hardly ever listen to Beggars Banquet from start to finish. Though I agree with what's been said: the lyrics are good, the vocals are as well, the bass, too, but the track only gains momentum towards the end and even then not really.

tonterapi
Brian is playing a Mellotron mk.II set to "flutes". He use the pitch control to get those whining sliding sounds you hear starting at 1.53.
Very cool!
Brian sure knew how to handle to mellotron using it in way that nobody else did or have done since. The Brass on We Love You, the strings on 2000 Lightyears and the flutes on Jigsaw Puzzle shows what a talent he had for sounds and what to do with them.

A rare talent, indeed. Many people don't even realize it. When they think of musical brilliance, they are searching for an obvious solo part. Instead, Brian's playing was deeply integrated in the surrounding sounds. Over the years after his death this did cost Brian the reputation he had among the musicians who played with him. Many of the Stones fans of today believe he wasn't a remarkable player. Nevertheless, in the case of Jigsaw Puzzle Brian is indeed just what he is called usually: a colourist (when on the other tracks you mentioned and so many others he is stabilizing the tracks, is giving them tension and is letting them breathe at the same time.)

However, thanks to the availability of the outtakes we finally know the slide is being played by a hard trying Keith and not by a bored and uninspired Brian.

"Pushing you in puddles/In the dead of night/Beware of ABKCO"
George Harrison, early Beware Of Darkness version (1970)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 7, 2013 03:07

MOJO 236 --- JULY 2013

ROCKMAN

Date: June 7, 2013 03:12

Little memory fail there. grinning smiley

Who asked the question?

smileys with beer

Date: June 7, 2013 03:39

René
Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Jig-Saw Puzzle
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Olympic Sound Studios, London, UK, March 23, 1968 and
Sunset Sound Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US, July 7 - 25, 1968

Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - acoustic guitar, electric slide guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Brian Jones - mellotron
Nicky Hopkins - piano

I did a demonstration of Brian's freaky mellotron part using the Super Manetron - Mellotron iPad app.

Date: June 7, 2013 03:50

...Cool Phil ...

Complete Keef interview with Mark Paytress is up on Connections

ROCKMAN

Date: June 7, 2013 03:56

Rockman
...Cool Phil ...

Complete Keef interview with Mark Paytress is up on Connections

smileys with beer

Posted by: Jayce ()
Date: June 7, 2013 05:44

So WTF? Is Keith misremembering about the slide? Or is Brian playing autoharp on "Jigsaw"? An autoharp doesn't sound like a slide.

I had asked in another thread about Brian and the slide on "Jigsaw," and now I am thoroughly confused.

Posted by: Madcap ()
Date: June 7, 2013 05:48

One of my favorite Stones songs, very underrated.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 7, 2013 06:40

Keith's slide work is always bizarre.... not bad, but very unique. On the good version of Memo, I wonder if it's really him, it sounds good and......normal.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 7, 2013 10:33

Jayce
So WTF? Is Keith misremembering about the slide? Or is Brian playing autoharp on "Jigsaw"? An autoharp doesn't sound like a slide.

I had asked in another thread about Brian and the slide on "Jigsaw," and now I am thoroughly confused.

Keith plays slide, Brian is on mellotron, what's there to be confused about?

Mathijs

Date: June 7, 2013 10:50

His Majesty
René
________________________________________________________________________________

Jig-Saw Puzzle

Mick Jagger - vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Brian Jones - mellotron
Nicky Hopkins - piano

I did a demonstration of Brian's freaky mellotron part using the Super Manetron - Mellotron iPad app.

thumbs up

Date: June 7, 2013 11:07

Jayce

Keith is mis-remembering about the "high pitched part", they way the question was asked sure influenced his answer.

If the guy asking the question meant the slide, it was Keith and it was slide guitar. If the guy asking the question meant the MKII mellotron flute part, his suggestive question made Keith go for the instrument that he didn't play, the autoharp, but there isn't one on Jigsaw Puzzle.

Mark Paytress made a boobie and helped make Keith make a boobie. The result, a pair of boobs.

(.)(.)

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 7, 2013 12:29

I heart boobs

Posted by: sabata ()
Date: June 7, 2013 15:37

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-07 15:38 by sabata.

Posted by: Jayce ()
Date: June 7, 2013 19:35

Got it. For the longest time (as a teenager), I thought Brian was playing a freaky recorder, and the fact that it is a mellotron doesn't change the freakiness of it. FOr me, the mellotron makes the song, because Brian's part lends the tune the Alice in Wonderland vibe that it has always had for me: surreal, absurd, and chaotic. "Jigsaw" is my favorite Stones tune, hands down. Brian and Nicky own it, IMO (as good as Keith is on that wonky slide!)

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: June 7, 2013 20:09

One of the brilliant tracks from a truly CLASSIC album Beggars Banquetdrinking smiley

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 7, 2013 21:14

I've always thought of this as the precursor to the title track of Let It Bleed. It sounds like they're trying to achieve something and not quite getting there, yet it ended up being brilliant anyways. In 68-72 they could truly do no wrong.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-07 21:32 by ryanpow.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 7, 2013 21:34

Beggars Banquet" Jig-Saw Puzzle" was my first vinyl lp in the late Sixties, so the whole album is very special to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-07 21:56 by runaway.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 7, 2013 21:49

ryanpow
In 68-72 they could truly do no wrong.

roger that. but also roger this: virtually nobody could do wrong then. even those devoid of any talent whatsoever were doing wonderful things.

when will 68-72 be coming back? anyone know?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 7, 2013 21:51

"Trouble is, I couldn't keep him in guitar long enough".

Bullshit. Keith, you couldn't control that guy's contribution any way. Boss Taylor or Ronnie as much you want to, but Brian was not under your command. Once you were.

- Doxa

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 7, 2013 21:52

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
René

Jig-Saw Puzzle

Mick Jagger - vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Brian Jones - mellotron
Nicky Hopkins - piano

thumbs up

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 7, 2013 22:08

--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-07 22:08 by ryanpow.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 7, 2013 22:45

ryanpow
--

---

jigsaw puzzle
Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: April 17, 2018 22:00

maybe this subject has been beat to death,i don't know but just like to know why jigsaw puzzle has never been done live,if it has its news to me,is it they just don't like it, or it sucked in rehearshal,maybe my fav stones song, nothing they did before or after is like it

Re: jigsaw puzzle
Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 17, 2018 22:10

Great song, but they can't do this in front of 50.000 people most of whom wouldn't even recognise Wild Horses.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: April 17, 2018 22:11

there's a tramp sittin' on my doorstep

Date: April 17, 2018 22:18

....its a riot of noise ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 17, 2018 22:38

jigsaw puzzle is a great song and one of the best the band ever made, pity they never did it live, i think it would have fitted in at hyde park 1969 as the encore.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1546
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home