Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Original Decca 1st press Mono Let It Bleed vs. New Mono Box Let It Bleed Comparison?
Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: November 9, 2017 14:39

Original Decca Mono LP alone in Ebay (or other places) about 500 euros in excellent condition....

Anyone heard both of these records?

Re: Original Decca 1st press Mono Let It Bleed vs. New Mono Box Let It Bleed Comparison?
Date: November 9, 2017 14:54

I think 1963luca0 (and probably many more on IORR) has the 1st mono press LIB.

Re: Original Decca 1st press Mono Let It Bleed vs. New Mono Box Let It Bleed Comparison?
Posted by: rbk ()
Date: November 9, 2017 15:50

I can only imagine they'd be sonically similar. LIB was a fold down mono-mix which is essentially the same as listening to a stereo record with the MONO button on your receiver engaged. No separate mixes as I understand it. An original mono LIB LP? It's worth what the collectors market will pay but likely not audiophiles.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: November 9, 2017 18:00

I really thought for the re releases they could actually do a dedicated mono mix for BB and LIB but that was obviously too much work

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: November 9, 2017 22:22

rollingon
Original Decca Mono LP alone in Ebay (or other places) about 500 euros in excellent condition....

Anyone heard both of these records?

Just a few month after the release of LIB in 1970 DECCA stoppt pressing mono-versions of stereo releases in general. The mono LIB is quite rare cause it was only a few month on sale. Just to explain high prizes as a collector`s item in excellent or better condition (record/cover/poster/innersleeve/sticker).

Like mentioned the mono LIB is just a folddown.

Tom

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: November 10, 2017 14:40

Over on the Steve Hoffman music forums, there has been an incredible amount of discussion on the whole Mono Bleed and Mono Beggars "cult of personality."

For many, many years, people on UC and then IORR raved so much about how one had to get the Mono Bleed or Mono Beggars, because they were so much better. It's worth digging up those threads, because many are so passionate for the Monos of LIB. (Depends on one's taste, because both LIBs are so amazing.)

Truth is that only SFD was actually recorded as a Mono track, and all of the rest of the trax on both LPs were fold-downs - just like the US DJ 45s released throughout the 70s on Rolling Stones' records up thru Hang Fire in early 1982. No special Mono mixes, etc - just straight fold-downs.

The Mono box, both on the vinyl and on the actual download, is amazing and a perfect alternative for those who do not wish to pay for collectors' pieces at collectors' prices. The BB & LIB are so close to the 60s' releases until it is hard to distinguish when A/B-ing the vinyl.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: November 10, 2017 19:47

The price of the UK MONO Let It Bleed is not due to the musical content - a mere fold down, actually. Fact is that England is the only Country where this album was issued in mono: all Collectors willing to get a copy must buy an English one.
That said, the boxed variation is even rarer than the original open label: few copies pressed toward the end of the age of mono.
Price is always high and you have to deal with this, if the set you're buying has the proper sticker, the poster and the correct inner sleeve, with or without the black stamp on the London Bach Choir.
Last but not least, please don't compare the original with the latest re-issue...
bye, Luca

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 10, 2017 19:57

1963luca0
The price of the UK MONO Let It Bleed is not due to the musical content - a mere fold down, actually. Fact is that England is the only Country where this album was issued in mono: all Collectors willing to get a copy must buy an English one.
That said, the boxed variation is even rarer than the original open label: few copies pressed toward the end of the age of mono.
Price is always high and you have to deal with this, if the set you're buying has the proper sticker, the poster and the correct inner sleeve, with or without the black stamp on the London Bach Choir.
Last but not least, please don't compare the original with the latest re-issue...
bye, Luca

There's also LIB mono releases (or fold-down) in Italy and Brazil.

Date: November 10, 2017 21:11

Brazil: yes, but really bad pressing
Italy: no mono copies ever issued

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 11, 2017 03:03

1963luca0
bye, Luca

Just out of curiosity why? Are you referring to the sound and if so would one be better than the other? I have stereo Decca's and London's from the day and of course this new mono issue on vinyl and cd but I've never done the audio comparison.

Gotta say I'm glad there are enough people that buy this that warrant them printing new versions though. I've never had the 'stones' to buy an original mono for $500 and now am rewarded when I can get this brand new box set for less money.

Date: November 11, 2017 09:15

1. At ABKCO, they never do exact replicas of the originals. They do something that reminds the original, without getting close to a good copy.They usually choose the easier way when re-making labels, covers and records.
2. Nowadays, vinyl is pressed using mix, masters and balance made CD-wise and then also used to press vinyl.Even if the original masters were used, they were treated for the CD release and later used to make the vinyl, without caring to introduce those necessary variations the lack of which makes modern vinyl sound different respect the old ones.
3. The original Let it Bleed has that fantastic smell that sends me crazy, the new one does not smell
4. yes, GBP 500 is a lot of money! By the way, I not paid it that much. There's not only eBay in our World, record fairs are cheaper and much more fun. I believe that this can be bought for GBP 250, at a record fair.
By, Luca

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-11 09:16 by 1963luca0.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 11, 2017 16:38

1963luca0
1. At ABKCO, they never do exact replicas of the originals. They do something that reminds the original, without getting close to a good copy.They usually choose the easier way when re-making labels, covers and records.
2. Nowadays, vinyl is pressed using mix, masters and balance made CD-wise and then also used to press vinyl.Even if the original masters were used, they were treated for the CD release and later used to make the vinyl, without caring to introduce those necessary variations the lack of which makes modern vinyl sound different respect the old ones.
3. The original Let it Bleed has that fantastic smell that sends me crazy, the new one does not smell
4. yes, GBP 500 is a lot of money! By the way, I not paid it that much. There's not only eBay in our World, record fairs are cheaper and much more fun. I believe that this can be bought for GBP 250, at a record fair.
By, Luca

I can't agree with all your observations, but with some of them sure. I've bought both the mono and stereo box sets and in addition to the SACD's I have to say that I think ABKCO has done an amazing job and on some cuts I'm hearing sounds that you just don't hear on the original vinyl releases.

On the Blu Ray of GRRR!, Little Red Rooster is a revelation...best version I've ever heard.

So while I love my original DECCA's, flaws and all it's nice having new vinyl and other formats with such great sound.

I do agree that when it comes to the packaging and labels ABKCO has often cheaped out, but at least the sound has been mostly fantastic.

I do check out record fairs, but in Canada the likelihood of getting ANY original decca red label mono LIBs is remote. Easier to win on Lotto and then just spend the money on EBAY!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 11, 2017 20:09

I'm no expert(as far as fold downs and what not) but regardless love the sound of the MONO releases. Also the MONO 45 release of "Tumbling Dice" in the US is great, the drums nearly jump out of the grooves..the LP version is plodding in comparison. The DJ MONO copy of "Sticky Fingers" also just smokes especially "CYHMK"..but I'm just an old fool with cheap ears!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2151
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home