Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - Going Back To Vinyl?
Date: November 11, 2011 12:08

I have not made the switch back to vynil. Yet. Not even sure, I should. The audio is obviously so much better. But to be honest, I do 99% of my music listening on the run; in a car/van. And I don't even own a proper stereo Hi Fi Set at homebase.
But more and more releases (that involve any kind of hard copy) are geared towards vynil.
So, I guess my question would be: in your opinion is it worth it at all to back another major switch? Because I can not stand a files-only album. Makes me feel like I don't really have it. Love the artwork.
And - what turntable is good to get in this age?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-11 12:58 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Re: OT - Going Back To Vynil?
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 11, 2011 12:18

Ask you parents or neighbours if they got an old Hi-Fi to sell cheap...that's the trick..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 11, 2011 12:39

Well it's all up to you, whether it's worth it or not

I went for a reasonable turntable; an Argon - very satisfactory thingy; about 500 euros.....worth every penny to me

Hey....I think you need to change the headline...this one's looking somewhat silly, he he

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-11 13:07 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: November 11, 2011 12:44

winking smileyDo you mean Vinyl?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-11 12:45 by steffiestones.

Re: OT - Going Back To Vinyl?
Date: November 11, 2011 13:00

I'm trying to find a turntable that goes straight to digital.

Date: November 11, 2011 13:00

I'm trying to find a turntable that has USB

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 11, 2011 13:05

.........Going Back To Birmingham ...HEY HEY HEY...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 11, 2011 13:13

...Going Back To Harlan

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 11, 2011 13:16

New vinyl releases, I suspect, have more to do with marketing strategies than quality of the music.

If you already have a large collection of LPs I would consider paying the money for a good turntable. But only in that case.

For what matters, on my system (linn amps, naim cd, rega turntable), an old LPs always beats the CD version.

But as much as I love my old vinyls, I myself have not yet bought a new release in vinyl format. One day I should to check how they sound.

CDs I believe are close to be commercially dead, but will continue to live for many years in the houses of those who have lots of money invested in that format. Take my case, I have more or less 800 cds and I have no intention whatsoever to re-buy in whatever new format.

The future, who knows.

C

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: November 11, 2011 13:50

I'm in. Files-only albums and music is not for me too!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: November 11, 2011 13:56

I got one three months ago.
Haven't looked back since.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 11, 2011 14:08

Lenco L81 with USB and direct-ripping to MP3 and other formats...very useful and pretty cheap...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 11, 2011 14:13

i switched back 2 years ago (turntable pro-ject, cd nad, custom amplifier) and bought a lot of records since (old to "rebuild" my old collection, new because I love that format more than cd)
i am happy with my choice of digital music for low fi use (walk, train etc) and vinyl for "hi-fi" home use
i dont think the saying vinyl audio is much better is a rule for any release any time, beside that sure it wears out faster (but not soo fast)
As an object is truly gorgeous and warm, it invites you to a different practice of listening to music, and yes if you have a good equipment is a goood listening

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: November 11, 2011 14:42

I think both vinyl and digital are necessary for home listening. Vinyl is essential for everything recorded till the eighties and digital for most recordings afterwards. Most vinyl of new bands is taken from a digital master making current vinyl releases redundant soundwise anyway, they are only good for the artwork (also a good reason to buy though!)

Date: November 11, 2011 14:52

Made the switch two years ago. Now I only buy vinyl and digital downloads.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 11, 2011 14:56

liddas
New vinyl releases, I suspect, have more to do with marketing strategies than quality of the music.

If you already have a large collection of LPs I would consider paying the money for a good turntable. But only in that case.

For what matters, on my system (linn amps, naim cd, rega turntable), an old LPs always beats the CD version.

But as much as I love my old vinyls, I myself have not yet bought a new release in vinyl format. One day I should to check how they sound.

CDs I believe are close to be commercially dead, but will continue to live for many years in the houses of those who have lots of money invested in that format. Take my case, I have more or less 800 cds and I have no intention whatsoever to re-buy in whatever new format.

The future, who knows.

C

All Linn system here, with LP12/Ekos/ Arkiva front end. The system is forgiving of less than wonderfull modern releases...but really tells you how much better old analogue recordings are !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-11 15:17 by Spud.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: November 11, 2011 16:08

New audiophile releases in vinyl are a galaxy better (new expression that i found to express how really better it is than a CD) than CDor of course MP3.

New release made after the original analog tapes and pressed with high quality vinyl are THE sound you were looking for all your life...!

check these:

www.speakerscorner.de
www.mofi.com
www.analogueproductions.com

Posted by: arizojp ()
Date: November 11, 2011 16:14

Palace Revolution 2000
I have not made the switch back to vynil. Yet. Not even sure, I should. The audio is obviously so much better. But to be honest, I do 99% of my music listening on the run; in a car/van.

This brand new device is perfect for you :

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: November 11, 2011 16:46

DandelionPowderman
Made the switch two years ago. Now I only buy vinyl and digital downloads.

+1

Posted by: R ()
Date: November 11, 2011 17:10

Vinyl is the only growing music carrier medium. Downloads are waning and new CD sales have fallen precipitously. Don't get me wrong, vinyl is in no way going to take over from digital but sales are increasing while digital is not.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 11, 2011 17:27

Going back ? I never left it

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 11, 2011 19:23

Me neither ;^)

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 11, 2011 19:54

Going back to vinyl is a re-introduction to the music you love. A great experience I would reccomend to any Rock And Roll fan. It's like having a second life.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: November 11, 2011 20:34

frankotero
Going back to vinyl is a re-introduction to the music you love. A great experience I would reccomend to any Rock And Roll fan. It's like having a second life.

So true. my guilty pleasure is completing collections on vinyl even tho I have the albums on CD - a difficult sell to my wife, tho she got me the Tom Waits Orphans vinyl box set for my birthday, bless her.

My latest purchase is a vintage portable Fidelity turntable that I have in the bedroom where most sane folks would have a clock radio!

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: November 11, 2011 22:51

I have a lot of CD's BUT I never left the fantastic world of the big round black ones.

Got myself a new turntabel resently. The old one was shit and I had to give more respect to my big black round ones, so I ended up with this one:

Not only does it sound good but i looks good as well. A Pro-Ject it is
Breaking it in on this picture with a LK4605

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 11, 2011 22:56

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-13 05:09 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Eirik ()
Date: November 11, 2011 23:52

I've never been off vinyl, but I'll never buy any new or digitally mastered albums on vinyl. What you get on new vinyl these days is the same sound as the regular cd, and this is if you own seriously expensive equipment. Playing new vinyl on a mid-priced turntable and riaa won't get you even close to the sound quality you get from a proper cd-player. I buy cd's but also lots of old/original LP's from analog recordings which sound far superior to these new releases. I just don't get why people buy this shit. It's just a marketing gimmick thing IMO.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 12, 2011 00:07

Looks great Jan Richards. Playing my Beggars banquet original Decca at the momnent, good times indeed !!!

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: November 28, 2011 23:32

Never left it. I perfer analog mastering but it's the format I really love.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: November 28, 2011 23:46

I'll tell you what I HAVE gone back to... cassettes!
I drive an 11 year old van for my gear (I own a karaoke/dj outfit in town and play 10-12 gigs a month).

Anyways, my CD player in it isn't working and my mp3 player got stolen. So... I've been listening to old cassettes of mine dating back to 1983 when I was 10 hahah!!!

It's actually amazing how good some of these still sound! In 1991 I never thought the mixed metal tapes (I don't mean 'heavy metal', I mean type iv which is a level above chrome in quality) I made off of vinyl albums would still sound as good 20 years later. I thought back then that all my cassettes would have shriveled up and disintegrated. Nope!

>grinning smiley<

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-28 23:47 by jamesfdouglas.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2685
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home