Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Taylor Floor Effects
Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: November 10, 2011 11:15

Been trying to find out what Effects Pedals Mick Taylor is using these days, I have heard a few guesses but would like to know if anyone has actually had a look of late. I believe that he uses a Boss DS 1 but cannot comfirm that. I am about to upgrade some of my gear and would like to get my sound closer to his, I have a Blues Driver but am getting a little tired of it, any suggestions as to a better Overdrive or Distortion Pedal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-10 11:20 by lapaz62.

Re: Taylor Floor Effects
Date: November 10, 2011 11:17

Yeah, I'm curious about this, too. A Tube Screamer perhaps? I bet Mathijs know some of this.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: November 10, 2011 11:33

I think he just has a wah wah and a chorus. He just rolls down the volume on his guitar to clean up the sound and rolls it up to drive his amp.

Date: November 10, 2011 11:35

terraplane
I think he just has a wah wah and a chorus. He just rolls down the volume on his guitar to clean up the sound and rolls it up to drive his amp.

In 1973, too?

Date: November 10, 2011 11:37

No idea about '73. In 69 he was just using the volume control on his guitar. I have seen a few pics & videos of him playing live in 2000s and I certainly don't recall an overdrive.

Date: November 10, 2011 11:40

terraplane
No idea about '73. In 69 he was just using the volume control on his guitar. I have seen a few pics & videos of him playing live in 2000s and I certainly don't recall an overdrive.

Yeah I know, but his sound was so much more fuzzy in 1973.

Date: November 10, 2011 11:43

I think His Majesty or soeone saying he was using a Colorsound fuzz wah. I don't know if they make them anymore. I think a Throbak overdrive is in the same ballpark. Although others will know far than me about this stuff.

Date: November 10, 2011 11:44

This is the best photo that I could find, looks like a Boss Delay, Blues Driver and a Cry Baby, maybe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-10 11:45 by lapaz62.

Date: November 10, 2011 11:48

Although is that his set up or the other guitar player?

Date: November 10, 2011 11:52

No its Taylors from the Northampton Show last year, a Blues Driver and an older Chorus look a bit alike, maybe thats a Chorus.

Date: November 10, 2011 11:54

Date: November 10, 2011 11:56

His sound today is very different, though.

Date: November 10, 2011 12:02

The only time that I never really liked his tone was when he toured with Dylan, I think that they used Music Man Amps and maybe he had to tweak his sound to what Dylan wanted but from then on, he has always had a great tone.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 10, 2011 12:09

lapaz62
The only time that I never really liked his tone was when he toured with Dylan, I think that they used Music Man Amps and maybe he had to tweak his sound to what Dylan wanted but from then on, he has always had a great tone.

If I recall correctly he used a large modern Marshall stack on the Dylan tour.

Mathijs

Date: November 10, 2011 12:12

terraplane

On stage with the Stones, as far as I can tell, he used a Vox Wah in Australia 73, and a Coloursound Wah/Fuzz in Europe 73. In the studio with the Stones he used a tape delay on most tracks, and phase on most tracks on GHS and IORR.

Since the 90's his standard setup seems to be a Crybaby, an old Boss Chorus and a Boss Delay. For amps he seem to prefer a combination of a Twin and Marshall head and cab, and most seem to be rentals.

Mathijs

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 10, 2011 12:19

I can remember seeing a pale blue Boss pedal. Must have been the chorus.

By the way Taylor is the only pro I've seen working on the settings of his pedals during a concert ...

C

Date: November 10, 2011 12:29

Mick Taylor's Equiptment

(Thanks to Daniel Shafner)

Electric Guitars:

Fender Stratocasters
Fender Telecaster
Fender Mustang (IORR video)
Fender Telecaster Trimline (late '80s, only a few times)
Gibson Les Paul Standards (the real vintage ones)
Gibson Les Paul Standard Reissue (look on the back of "Stranger in this
Town")
Gibson Les Paul Custom (early '90s)
Gibson Firebird
Gibson ES-335
Gibson SG10
Epiphone "ES-335" style

Acoustic Guitars:

Martin
Gibson Hummingbird
Ovation

Amplifiers:

Ampeg VT-40
Ampeg VT-40, modified with 6550 power tubes ("Joe Henry" album)
Ampeg VT-22
Ampeg GU-35 (studio and backstage with The Stones)
Ampeg B-15 or B-25 Portaflex bass amp
Fender Twin Reverbs
Marshall 100 watt stacks and half stacks
Marshall 50 watt stacks and half stacks
Marshall 2x12 combo
Mesa Boogie (model unknown, used on '79 solo album)
Pignose
Roland JC120 (used on '79 solo album)
MusicMan (Bob Dylan '84 Summer tour).
This is where I got the Dylan info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-10 12:33 by lapaz62.

Date: November 10, 2011 12:31

Mathijs
used a tape delay on most tracks, and phase on most tracks on GHS and IORR.

Since the 90's his standard setup seems to be a Crybaby, an old Boss Chorus and a Boss Delay. For amps he seem to prefer a combination of a Twin and Marshall head and cab, and most seem to be rentals.

Mathijs

Although for a few years I think he has just used a cranked Hot Rod Deluxe. Pretty sure he also used a tape echo on stage in those early '80s Bluesbreaker gigs.

Edit: In the following video you can see the Hot Rod Deluxe and what looks like a Marshall Bluesbreaker amp.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-10 12:38 by terraplane.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 10, 2011 15:07

The only time that I never really liked his tone was when he toured with Dylan, I think that they used Music Man Amps and maybe he had to tweak his sound to what Dylan wanted but from then on, he has always had a great tone. <lapaz62>

There was some footage on YouTube (Bob on a Tele and Taylor on a LP). It has been removed. You could see Taylor play on a MusicMan combo if I remember it well.. I think he had the right sound for that music. Not too raunchy but still rather heavy. The band sounded "Stone-eske", apart from the vocals winking smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 10, 2011 15:10

lapaz62
I am about to upgrade some of my gear and would like to get my sound closer to his, I have a Blues Driver but am getting a little tired of it, any suggestions as to a better Overdrive or Distortion Pedal.

What guitar and amp are you using?

Date: November 10, 2011 15:21

Dallas Fuzz Face or Ibanez Tube Screamer

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 10, 2011 18:32

At a 2001 show in Marin County (north of SF) a friend who is a big Taylor fan set his recorder on stage very near Taylor's three effects pedals, then melted back into the crowd to groove on the show. At one point Taylor approached his pedals, saw what appeared to be a fourth pedal and did a curious double take before realizing what it was. He turned away, shook his head in resignation, but did not do anything about it. We refer to it as the fourth pedal show. There is a wonderful photo of him and Taylor from this show. He is the guy that partially recorded the Sway performance with Carla Olson in '91.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: November 10, 2011 18:37

pmk251
At a 2001 show in Marin County (north of SF) a friend who is a big Taylor fan set his recorder on stage very near Taylor's three effects pedals, then melted back into the crowd to groove on the show. At one point Taylor approached his pedals, saw what appeared to be a fourth pedal and did a curious double take before realizing what it was. He turned away, shook his head in resignation, but did not do anything about it. We refer to it as the fourth pedal show. There is a wonderful photo of him and Taylor from this show. He is the guy that partially recorded the Sway performance with Carla Olson in '91.

((( Smiles )))

Tell me, what do you people think Taylor's best outfit was after Mayall and The Stones?

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: November 10, 2011 20:31

Some visuals for what has been described earlier

Colorsound in '73 europe

Late 2000s
Boss Super Chorus Pedal
Boss Overdrive Pedal
Cry Baby Wah Wah Pedal

Date: November 11, 2011 07:29

Thanks Smokey, that sure does look like a DS of some type. My amp is a Carlsbro Combo GLX85 and an old Fender Twin from the 80s, not sure what model, I have an Les Paul Standard from the late 90s but my favourite guitar that I like playing at the moment is an Epiphone 335 dot semi acoustic, feedsback like a bitch but its nice to play.

Date: November 11, 2011 10:02

lapaz62
Thanks Smokey, that sure does look like a DS of some type. My amp is a Carlsbro Combo GLX85 and an old Fender Twin from the 80s, not sure what model, I have an Les Paul Standard from the late 90s but my favourite guitar that I like playing at the moment is an Epiphone 335 dot semi acoustic, feedsback like a bitch but its nice to play.

How's the intonation on the Dot? I'm thinking of getting me one soon.

Date: November 11, 2011 12:02

When I first got the Dot, the top two strings would vibrate against the neck and fret, there was a slight twist in the neck and 2 frets had to be replaced, they were too high. It was under warranty so no hassle for me really but it is a great guitar, mine is red but I beleive they come in black as well.

Date: November 11, 2011 13:08

lapaz62
Fender Telecaster Trimline (late '80s, only a few times)

Gibson Les Paul Standard Reissue (look on the back of "Stranger in this
Town")

Gibson ES-335
Gibson SG10

MusicMan (Bob Dylan '84 Summer tour).
This is where I got the Dylan info.

I have not heard of a Fender Telecaster Trimline, I guess a Thinline is meant. The Les Paul on the cover of Stranger is not a Gibson, it is a custom made LP. I have not seen Taylor play an ES-335, he played a 355 in the 70's. A Gibson SG10 does not exits, a SG100 does exist but I have never seen Taylor play one.

Concerning Dylan: I've not seen too many pictures, but there's some footage on Youtube of some large stadium show and he was using a Marshall stack. Of course he could have used MM amps too, as Dylan used these amps from the late 70's on.

Mathijs

Date: November 11, 2011 13:53

lapaz62
When I first got the Dot, the top two strings would vibrate against the neck and fret, there was a slight twist in the neck and 2 frets had to be replaced, they were too high. It was under warranty so no hassle for me really but it is a great guitar, mine is red but I beleive they come in black as well.

Thanks, lapaz.

Date: November 11, 2011 23:53

I think there is a couple or typo's on that list, its an SG100 for sure, they had the Bigsby on them and whats he using in this clip. Is that Drew Carey on Bass and Vocals smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-12 02:36 by lapaz62.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1690
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home