Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: The Beatles 1969 hypothetical setlist
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 10, 2011 06:26

whitem8
That is more a recent phenomena, well as of his first big world tour after The Wings, the Flower in the Dirt tour is when he really went full force on adding Beatles songs. A lot of reasons, one being that he really wants to showcase what he wrote while in The Beatles. But prior to that tour, when he toured with Wings he only started adding Beatles stuff on the 76 tour. And not a lot. Lady Madonna, Yesterday, Blackbird, and I've Just Seen A Face were the only Beatles songs he did for that tour. But when he toured in the early 70's he didn't do any Beatles. None.

He also did The Long And Winding Road on the 75-76 Wings tour. I get your point, but had he lived, John would not be doing shows today consisting mostly of songs he wrote for the Beatles. I don't think he would be touring at all, to tell you the truth.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-10 06:42 by tatters.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 10, 2011 06:40

oops forgot Long and Winding Road! Actually, much better than the version on Let it Be. And yeah, you are right, Lennon would be doing a lot of Beatles. In fact, there are some interesting things about the tour he was planning right before his death. He wanted to re-work a lot of The Beatles stuff he felt wasn't done right. I Want to Hold Your Hand and Help are two he mentioned that he wanted to do more slow and bluesy. I am sure he would have done In My Life and a lot of others as well. The main point being in the 70's none of them wanted to be stuck in The Beatles mold and got often quite resentful of it, and went out of their way to slag off The Beatles. Harrison did his only tour of the US and did a very strange version of In My Life where he changed the lyrics...bizarre indeed.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 10, 2011 06:56

Just out of curiousity I checked out the setlists on those early Wings tours. They usually did encore w/a Beatles track, sortof: "Long Tall Sally".

Paul did a lot of material on those tours that still have never seen any sort of official release, very bold. But I digress...

Date: November 10, 2011 06:57

They might have played "Yer Blues", "Dizzy Miss Lizzie" or "Money" -- Lennon played those in concert that year.

Date: November 10, 2011 07:41

Glam Descendant
Just out of curiousity I checked out the setlists on those early Wings tours. They usually did encore w/a Beatles track, sortof: "Long Tall Sally".

Paul did a lot of material on those tours that still have never seen any sort of official release, very bold. But I digress...

Yup, a bit different of an arrangement as well, The Beatles covered that Little Richard song, but again it is a cover. He did not do any Beatle originals until 75/76 tours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-10 07:41 by whitem8.

Date: November 10, 2011 07:43

Glam Descendant

Yeah! And I would love to have one of those shows officially released. Maybe on the upcoming Ram or Redrose Speedway deluxe releases. The boots that are out there are pretty poor quality.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 10, 2011 08:20

whitem8
Come On
Yeah or:

She loves you
Hey bulldog
Only a northern song
Maxwells silverhammer
Isn't it a pity
Cold turkey
Let it be
Give peace a chance
Don't pass me by
Come together

encore

Hi Hi Hi
Working class hero
All things must pass

mind that there would be no solo albums out...
I really don't think they would have played any of those solo songs. For one reason most of them weren't even written yet, and The Beatles refused to record Cold Turkey, so they wouldn't have done that. No way would John have done Maxwell Silver's Hammer, he hated that song with a passion. Hence Paul would have refused to do Give Peace A Chance. Only a Northern Song, I really don't think they would have done. They wouldn't have wanted to revisit their psychedelia, and George had more recent songs that were popular.
Also it is important to remember, Let it Be was already done. Abbey Road would have been what they were working on, or just released, it is just that Let it Be came out later, but they would have had all those songs freshly rehearsed and ready to go live.

Well I just wanted to show that if they still were an active band named the Beatles 1969 and was out for a tour, a set list probably would have inhibit songs we could find on their solo-works that became a fact with a splitted band...mind that Yoko was as good as a part of the band, and that it isn't a bad guess that John would let her do one number, and I say an early version of 'Fly' there...

2 1 2 0

Date: November 10, 2011 08:35

Comeon, I like your enthusiasm, but Hi Hi Hi wasn't even written yet.

The single wasn't obviously released 1969 as it is a solo-project from Paul, but I'm curious to know how anybody could possible know if it is written or not. Only Paul can aswer to that....I got a couple of boots recorded 1969 (mostly rehearsing outtakes from Abbey Roads sessions) and there are songs like 'All things must pass' and a couple of numbers from Pauls first solo-album so you never know about Hi Hi Hi...

The Roof-Top-concert was not a exactly a planned tour so I don't agree to them that believe that a Beatles tour with a active band would have had any similarities with that one-time phenomenon.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: November 10, 2011 11:24

They'd probably copy the RS & revive a couple of Chuck Berry classics.

Date: November 10, 2011 11:39

Come On
Comeon, I like your enthusiasm, but Hi Hi Hi wasn't even written yet.

The single wasn't obviously released 1969 as it is a solo-project from Paul, but I'm curious to know how anybody could possible know if it is written or not. Only Paul can aswer to that....I got a couple of boots recorded 1969 (mostly rehearsing outtakes from Abbey Roads sessions) and there are songs like 'All things must pass' and a couple of numbers from Pauls first solo-album so you never know about Hi Hi Hi...

The Roof-Top-concert was not a exactly a planned tour so I don't agree to them that believe that a Beatles tour with a active band would have had any similarities with that one-time phenomenon.

I love your fandom Comeon! Always appreciate your posts. Actually, the original plan of Let it Be was to tour. They were going to go back to the basics then do a tour. The tour then changed into a one time concert, stuff that was new, back to basics with little to no over dubs. Then it turned into the roof because basically they were all bitching, and the easiest was just to go to the roof and jam. But the goal was to try to recreate a more organic sound, much like The Band. So I do think if they would have toured it would have been a very back to basics tour.
Regarding Hi Hi Hi, LOVE IT! One of my favorite Wings numbers, and especially love the Wings Over America live version. Alas it was written in Spain in 72. He was wanting to release a hard hitting single after the brutal slagging he took for Mary Had a Little Lamb (which he deserved). So again yeah, it just wasn't ready. I see you are a fan and you would probably really appreciate the book, Get Back: The Unauthorized Chronicle of the Beatles' " Let It Be" Disaster. It goes through and chronicles pretty much the entire project, listing the daily run through of songs and analyzing the dialog from the tapes. Is a very interesting chronicle and dispels several inaccurate myths about the break up.
[www.amazon.com]

I think you would appreciate it and enjoy it.

Date: November 10, 2011 11:41

Oh and there is no way they would have let Yoko do a number with them live. No way. George particularly could not stand her at that time and was very angry by how she was monopolizing John. . .

Date: November 10, 2011 12:00

whitem8
Oh and there is no way they would have let Yoko do a number with them live. No way. George particularly could not stand her at that time and was very angry by how she was monopolizing John. . .

Sure Yoko was a big part to split the band..but as John said: we're only a rock'n'roll band, it's nothing important...
Highly appreciate your posts too Whitem8, especially them about Beatles...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: November 10, 2011 17:02

I'd agree with those who post they may have saturated the setlist
with the last two LPs ... Lennon would've wanted to pepper things
with his "new rock", stuff as "Cold Turkey" and the heavy things,
McCartney would've promoted his own stuff, and Harrison would be
elbowed into only a couple of his. But I think all wanted to reflect
on their youth and play a goodly portion of stuff that turned 'em
on back in the day. So, add:

"Some Other Guy"
"Long Tall Sally"

... and a bunch of others from The '50s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-11-10 18:41 by TheDailyBuzzherd.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 10, 2011 17:03

whitem8
That is more a recent phenomena, well as of his first big world tour after The Wings, the Flower in the Dirt tour is when he really went full force on adding Beatles songs. A lot of reasons, one being that he really wants to showcase what he wrote while in The Beatles. But prior to that tour, when he toured with Wings he only started adding Beatles stuff on the 76 tour. And not a lot. Lady Madonna, Yesterday, Blackbird, and I've Just Seen A Face were the only Beatles songs he did for that tour. But when he toured in the early 70's he didn't do any Beatles. None.

Yeah, he really didn't start doing a mostly Beatles setlist until '89, the first time he toured after John's death. Probably it was because he felt that as the sole survivor of the Lennon-McCarteny partnership, he had the entire weight of the Beatles catalog resting on his shoulders, so he had to go out there and "be" The Beatles, in so far as it was possible for him to do that without also playing the songs John wrote.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: November 10, 2011 18:43

tatters
Probably it was because he felt that as the sole survivor of the Lennon-McCarteny partnership, he had the entire weight of the Beatles catalog resting on his shoulders, so he had to go out there and "be" The Beatles, in so far as it was possible for him to do that without also playing the songs John wrote.

((( Smiles ))) Mebbe, but I suspect he knows what sells tickets.

Date: November 11, 2011 03:10

Yeah, that was George's comment after Anthology when his mood soured on the entire project. He said McCartney always talks about the possibility of a Beatles reunion prior to a tour...and does so many Beatles songs anyways, it wouldn't matter.
I do think a big part of it is like Tatters says...after Lennon's death a few things going on there. One McCartney was often trying to push his image as the experimental one and the writer of specific tunes. Going so far as to want to switch the order of the writing credits (he did that already anyways on Wings Over America, but with Lennon dead Ono took umbrage of that). And he wanted to show case the songs he felt he wrote. And of course to sell tickets! Now it is funny, I wish he would do less Beatles songs and more of his solo stuff. Like Hi Hi Hi. I was stoked to see him do Rock Show and Juniors Farm. And Mrs. Vanderbelt.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 11, 2011 04:42

dont know what songs i would pick but damn that would have been a great tour

Date: November 11, 2011 11:00

To be absolute precise with Paul's solo-hits, so for me it's only 'Live and let die' and 'Mull of Kintyre'..but that's me

With Beatles he had only hits, each and every song....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Dak ()
Date: December 19, 2012 05:00

Early 1970 concert setlist

1) Sgt Peppers
2) With A Little help
3) Something
4) Come Together
5) The Ballad of John & Yoko (JL-acoustic gtr)
6) Here Comes the Sun (JL-acoustic gtr)
7) Across the Universe (JL-acoustic gtr, PM-piano, RS-maracas)
8) Lady Madonna (PM-piano, JL-bass)
9) Let It Be (PM-Piano, JL-bass)
10) Instant Karma (JL-piano)
11) All You Need Is Love (JL-piano)
12) Penny Lane (JL-piano)
13) Hey Jude (PM-piano, JL-bass)
Encore
14) Revolution
15) I’m Down

George Harrison – lead guitar & vocals
John Lennon – guitar, bass, piano & vocals
Paul McCartney – bass, piano & vocals
Ringo Starr – drums, percussion & vocals

Additional musicians:
Billy Preston – elec. piano, organ & piano
Joe Blow 1- trumpet
Joe Blow 2 - saxophone
Joe Blow 3 - saxophone
Joe Blow 4 - trombone

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 19, 2012 05:32

Paul mentions in 1969 he wants to open with "Every Little Thing." Let it Be archives..

Date: December 19, 2012 05:36

How in the world do these old threads resurface? I find it very curious. (I find it even more curious to read comments I don't recall writing.)

Posted by: Dak ()
Date: December 19, 2012 05:56

Paul mentions in 1969 he wants to open with "Every Little Thing." Let it Be archives..

Paul must of been high when he said that...lol There's a .03% chance that song would have made it into the setlist at that point

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: December 19, 2012 05:57

Prior to a walk to the B stage, they would have allowd Yoko to sing "Happy"

Date: December 19, 2012 06:57

Paul is always high. But he loves the shock value. like "Drive My Car" opening the Superbowl. Who would have guessed after 50 years the Stones would open their series with IWBYM? One thing for sure we were treated to something on par with the dream Beatles reunion thanks to the Glimmer Twins.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-19 07:05 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: December 19, 2012 07:17

Dak

1) Sgt Peppers
2) With A Little help
3) Something
4) Come Together

<SNIP>

What a opening 4 songs!!! throw in lets say...
a) 'Drive my Car'
b) 'I saw Her Standing There'
c) 'Day Tripper'

and I'm going!! thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 19, 2012 07:46

gripweed
Dak

1) Sgt Peppers
2) With A Little help
3) Something
4) Come Together

<SNIP>

What a opening 4 songs!!! throw in lets say...
a) 'Drive my Car'
b) 'I saw Her Standing There'
c) 'Day Tripper'

and I'm going!! thumbs up

MACCA played the 4 bolded songs in Vancouver last month.

Date: December 19, 2012 08:54

In 1969 the fabs would have included no sidemen except Billy Preston.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-19 09:05 by DoomandGloom.

Date: December 19, 2012 09:04

Every Little Thing, Dear Prudence, Oh bla di, Dig a Pony, Don't let Me Down, Come Together, Yellow Sub, Blackbird, I'm so tired, Here Comes The Sun, Let It Be, Walrus, Get Back... Encore Twist and Shout, She Loves You, All You Need is Love.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 19, 2012 09:47

how about if we imagine that the beatles were a band that could handle being on the road.

what if we imagine that they werent mostly a studio band.

what if we imagine that playing in the teeny bopper days and on the roof of your studio actually qualifies you to be named in the same sentence as a band who spent five decades cranking out the best live rock and roll shows in history.

seriously,i think the beatles were a good group,probably the 9th or 10th best band ever but dont they have a fansite of their own somewhere?

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 19, 2012 09:54

There would have been no "Granny" music or John wouldn't have agreed.

So all the poppy Paul stuff would have been out.

They would have done blues based rock, like everyone else was doing.

In fact... the roof top gig gives the best idea of what they would have done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-19 09:55 by GravityBoy.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1967
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home