Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Johnny Winter & 'Silver Train'
Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 22, 2017 12:56

My apologizes in case the thread has been already discussed, but I've not been able to find it.
I've always been curious about the reasons why Johnny Winter was allowed to release his 'Silver Train' before the Rolling Stones themself issued this song.
Can anybody here tell the story behind this cover version, please?
How did Winter become aware of 'Silver Train'? Who was he in touch with?
Thanks, Luca

Re: Johnny Winter & 'Silver Train'
Date: August 22, 2017 13:02

The legend says it was written for Winter by Mick and Keith, but Wiki also says that Winter got a demo version and recorded his version, based on that:

«Johnny Winter had heard a demo of the tune and recorded a cover of it for his album Still Alive and Well in 1973 (Columbia Records). Song written for Johnny Winter by Mick Jagger & Keith Richards. His album's version was released even before Goats Head Soup...»

It has been speculated that Winter got access to the demo because of the Stones playing Winter's I'm Yours She's Mine in Hyde Park 1969 as part of a deal here, but I don't know...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-22 13:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 22, 2017 14:11

And then Mick & Keith wrote the song Winter about the whole process!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 22, 2017 15:01

Johnny Winter's version is much better than the version on GHS. I heard Winter's version first, prior to the release of GHS.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 22, 2017 16:00

Thank you so much, I will use your posts as a starti for further researches.
Bue,

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 22, 2017 18:08

This version sounds similar to Johnny's.

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 22, 2017 19:54

ive heard a lot of opinions stating winters version of silver train is better than the stones studio release, i simply dont agree, the promotional video to the song is superb, i dont rate winters version.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 22, 2017 20:03

Not sure exactly why, but I think the Johnny Winter version is slightly better musically. Still, I enjoy the Stones version more. I guess it's just because I love the Stones more, and I love the sound and feel of Taylor era Stones and GHS. If that makes any sense...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 22, 2017 20:07

ab
Johnny Winter's version is much better than the version on GHS. I heard Winter's version first, prior to the release of GHS.

Same here ab.

Based on the demo that Deltics posted above, maybe the Stones should stuck closer to that. They ended up kind of sterilizing it for the final GHS version.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 23, 2017 15:11

Also Johnny covered JJF, Stray Cat Blues and Gimme Shelter (I think so) and Let It Bleed. JJF and Let It Bleed exceed the originals by far. Johnny is my favorite guitar player. Sad that he isn't among us ...

Date: August 23, 2017 15:15

Stray Cat Blues is the only Stones cover Johnny did that I really like.

Silver Train sounds like a fun Roadhouse-jam, though, but I don't really like the rhythm section – especially not the bassist.

Like A Rolling Stone is another excellent Johnny-cover. Darn, where is my ol' cassette of «Rock'n'Roll People» smiling smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 23, 2017 15:30

DP, Let it Bleed and JJF ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-23 15:31 by powerage78.

Date: August 23, 2017 15:33

powerage78
DP, Let it Bleed and JJF ?

Weaker than the Stones's versions, imo.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 23, 2017 15:59

buttons67
ive heard a lot of opinions stating winters version of silver train is better than the stones studio release, i simply dont agree, the promotional video to the song is superb, i dont rate winters version.

thumbs up

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 23, 2017 16:02

They ought to rehearse Silver Train.

I've a sneaking suspicion that it might work rather well live these days.

Date: August 23, 2017 16:07

Spud
They ought to rehearse Silver Train.

I've a sneaking suspicion that it might work rather well live these days.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 23, 2017 17:05

Never seen that !

Can't listen to it here at work.

Was it any good ? grinning smiley

Date: August 23, 2017 17:15

Spud
Never seen that !

Can't listen to it here at work.

Was it any good ? grinning smiley

Quite good, but Mick's vocals were not smiling smiley

Seriously, if Mick just forgets about the high notes it will be great, imo.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 23, 2017 18:42

Johnny Winter's version definitely kicks ass, but then again so does the Stones' version. I'll go w/ Stones as my preference as I much prefer Mick's vocals.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 23, 2017 19:14

Johnny Winter ( in my opinion) is the only artist that comes damn close to cutting the Stones with their own material just like they did with Chuck Berry..the live JJF is balls to the wall and Stray Cat is downright scary..

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: August 23, 2017 20:31

They give him their version as the song was at this time and Winter work on it on this base. Then the Stones recorded their definitive version, really differente one but it was something they used to do.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 23, 2017 20:51

Johnny's version of It's All over Now (w. Bobby and Shirley Womack) on 'Captured Live' also kicks ass, though I wouldn't say it's actually better than the Stones version - I like them equally. Johnny's version starts with a blazing solo before the song kicks in in a big way, and the whole thing still sounds more powerful to me than the Stones somewhat antiquated version. That said, there's something about that antiquated/innocent sound of the Stones version that's part of it's charm, and Keith's solo is nothing to sneeze at. Not easy to compare Johnny's loud and live raucous version recorded in a giant stadium c. '75 in front of thousands of people vs. the Stones early '64 version as they're both great. But...if I had to pick one for a Desert Island might have to go with Johnny's version as Captured Live was a favorite album of mine when released - maybe even absolute favorite for a few months as I played it to death- so there's some sentimental value attached.

I don't often prefer covers over originals, but in this case I actually like both better than the original by the Valentino's (featuring Womack) which almost sounds a bit hokey imo, though it also has it's charm.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 24, 2017 07:42

Winters version is better. Having said that are there any live versions with Mick Taylor from the '73 tour?

Date: August 24, 2017 08:28

24FPS
Winters version is better. Having said that are there any live versions with Mick Taylor from the '73 tour?

Yes, two.

Here's one of them:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-24 11:47 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 24, 2017 08:44

..no this kid's stickin' with the Stones ... it suits the haze of the Goats Head ...

Johnny shoves it up biker bar tracks ... slammin' drums and his voice nags ... no steady train roll ...

Although I can spend alotta time with Memory Pain ... now that one worms it's way around inta the back of the soul ...

ROCKMAN

Date: August 24, 2017 11:49

Rockman
..no this kid's stickin' with the Stones ... it suits the haze of the Goats Head ...

Johnny shoves it up biker bar tracks ... slammin' drums and his voice nags ... no steady train roll ...

Although I can spend alotta time with Memory Pain ... now that one worms it's way around inta the back of the soul ...

Very true!

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: August 24, 2017 17:59

Here is a rocking version of Mick Taylor doing Silver Train with Carla Olsen on vocals that I did not particularly like but his guitar is smoking.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: August 24, 2017 18:39

ab

Disagree. Never understood while so many favor Winter's version. It's kinda flat

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 25, 2017 05:13

1963luca0
My apologizes in case the thread has been already discussed, but I've not been able to find it.

here: [iorr.org]
and here: [iorr.org]

thumbs up

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 25, 2017 13:00

Hairball
Johnny's version of It's All over Now (w. Bobby and Shirley Womack) on 'Captured Live' also kicks ass, though I wouldn't say it's actually better than the Stones version - I like them equally. Johnny's version starts with a blazing solo before the song kicks in in a big way, and the whole thing still sounds more powerful to me than the Stones somewhat antiquated version. That said, there's something about that antiquated/innocent sound of the Stones version that's part of it's charm, and Keith's solo is nothing to sneeze at. Not easy to compare Johnny's loud and live raucous version recorded in a giant stadium c. '75 in front of thousands of people vs. the Stones early '64 version as they're both great. But...if I had to pick one for a Desert Island might have to go with Johnny's version as Captured Live was a favorite album of mine when released - maybe even absolute favorite for a few months as I played it to death- so there's some sentimental value attached.

I don't often prefer covers over originals, but in this case I actually like both better than the original by the Valentino's (featuring Womack) which almost sounds a bit hokey imo, though it also has it's charm.

I play "Captured Live" to death even nowadays, it never grows old. One of the best guitar albums of all time. Not only Johnny is on top, but also Floyd Radford on second guitar.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home