Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Anyone else love Their Satanic Majesties Request?
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 2, 2011 08:30

Let's turn the board to something lighter:

Does anyone else think Their Satanic Majesties Request is a great album? I just listened to this album for a first time in a while and I always forget how much I love it. Aside from two tracks, the 7 minute Sing This All Together and Gomper, there isn't a bad song on the album IMO.

There's never really been anything else like it in their catalogue and while I do think its not as good as Sgt. Pepper, I rarely associate it with the album. Its its own entity and very adventurous of them. I remember when I first heard "She's A Rainbow" in the car as a kid off of Through The Past Darkly and my dad made me a full CD of that one song. It was just so different from everything else on that best of.

But the album is full of less known and under appreciated classics. Citadel, The Lantern, 2000 Man are all great tracks that unfortunately have never been played. Sing This All Together and On With The Show I have always thought are very fun songs and In Another Land is fantastic for so many reasons, first and foremost the fact that its Bill's and the snoring at the end gets me everytime.

I guess the only "classic" off the album is 2000 Light Years From Home and thats a great song also. Anyway, I never feel it gets the appreciation it should for many reasons: its early, very different from the rest of their material, and probably pretty dated of that time period (although I'm young and never listen to it in that way). I'd love a rousing discussion about the album if anyone else has any input. Let's put off some of the tour rumors for awhile and move to something a bit more fun.

Re: Anyone else love Their Satanic Majesties Request?
Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: November 2, 2011 08:42

It's not a classic but it doesn't deserve the reputation it has.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: November 2, 2011 08:46

You are not alone! I always liked it from way back when it first came out... It's weird because I never liked Sgt. Pepper, but liked most of songs off TSMR...the usual suspects, especially 2000 Man! Maybe I am kookoo, but I think the Stones had nicer melodies in many of songs off this album compared to Sgt. Pepper. IMHO you have very good taste thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 2, 2011 09:04

I prefer Country Joe & The Fish from that FlowerPower-era...with more political titles...

2 1 2 0

Date: November 2, 2011 09:13

Blue
You are not alone! I always liked it from way back when it first came out... It's weird because I never liked Sgt. Pepper, but liked most of songs off TSMR...the usual suspects, especially 2000 Man! Maybe I am kookoo, but I think the Stones had nicer melodies in many of songs off this album compared to Sgt. Pepper. IMHO you have very good taste thumbs up
Haha glad to see I'm not alone.

Yeah, its not really a classic when compared to their other albums. The rock stuff is better for a variety of reasons, mainly because its further into their career and they were at their peak musically and creatively IMO. While TSMR is definitely creative, I can agree its not perfect and not exactly comparable to their peak material. Let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet, Exile, Sticky Fingers are all better IMO.

This would probably fall into my second string with Some Girls, Goats Head Soup and Its Only Rock And Roll. But yes, I do believe its important to their catalogue and a very fun listen. I suggest some to revisit it.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 2, 2011 09:25

I disagree, I think it *is* a classic (whatever that means). IMO.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: November 2, 2011 09:45

Because I love progressive rock I've always liked TSMR and I never have compared this to Pepper (which is not the best Beatles album). This is different story. Citadel and 2000 Light Years are my favourites but there are also other good songs. I even like Gomper which is quite extraordinary Stones song and therefore refreshing. It would've been better if "See What Happens" was replaced with something else. At least after "where's that joint?" sentence.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 2, 2011 10:35

I do not like it at all, the weakest effort of the band in my opinion, the only album that I will never hear again. A compromise with the psychedelic fashion of '67, no genuine Stones music, half-baked and boring. TSMR was an awkward chatting-up to the zeitgeist. They denied their roots due to financial interests. The same holds for Between the Buttons with few exceptions.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: November 2, 2011 11:23

I love the first couple of minutes of Gomper, it's a lovely tune. Some great stuff on that album and Citadel is a stone cold stones classic in my book.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: November 2, 2011 13:27

Baxter Thwaites
It's not a classic but it doesn't deserve the reputation it has.

Baxter pretty much sums up how I feel about the album.

I love She's a Rainbow.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: November 2, 2011 13:33

I like 'Citadel', '2000 Man', 'In another land', 'She's a rainbow', 'The Lantern', '2000 light years from home', 'On with the show'. That's most of the album. Then, I guess, I like this album.

Date: November 2, 2011 13:38

Kirk
I like 'Citadel', '2000 Man', 'In another land', 'She's a rainbow', 'The Lantern', '2000 light years from home', 'On with the show'. That's most of the album. Then, I guess, I like this album.
Add the opening Sing This All Together for not going too overboard and you have all the songs I like off the album also.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 2, 2011 13:54

Yep.................

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 2, 2011 14:01

It's a lot more fun than Sgt Pepper, which it kind of pastiches. It was always a great listen when you were out of it - and probably still is. There's a lot of tongue in cheek humour, as if the naughty boys on the block gatecrashed the posh boys' psychedelic party and took the piss.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: November 2, 2011 14:12

Just listened to 2000 man!
Great song. Great lyrics.

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 2, 2011 14:54

If there ever was a "Satanic Majesties Tour" in late 1967, I'm sure "Citadel" would've been a highlight.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 2, 2011 15:02

.....yeah Erik but wouldn't it have been called the "Satantic Majesties Trip"

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 2, 2011 15:10

- or "Stones Tripping Party" ....? Good one, Rock

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 2, 2011 15:14

I would call this a great album, although puzzling probably at the time, and upon first listen.

If they had included Dandelion/We Love You on it and taken off "See What Happens", you'd have had an absolute classic.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: November 2, 2011 15:26

RollingFreak
Kirk
Add the opening Sing This All Together for not going too overboard and you have all the songs I like off the album also.

Ok. Why not. Sounds more complete.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 2, 2011 15:27

well they had some 'difficulties' around that time, and still managed to make a record...
one of the coolest covers ever!

She's a Rainbow is a great Stones tune, and I love the force of the guitars in 'Citadel'

2000 Light Years From Home is a classic.

Its kind of like Dirty Work, made under self inflicted duress, with some standout songs...

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: November 2, 2011 15:41

Stones played She's a Rainbow in Chicago, at the 2nd B2B concert. I was thrilled.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 2, 2011 16:24

gazza and i have always sung the praises of this classic record...we've sung it altogether, in fact.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: November 2, 2011 16:25

treaclefingers
I would call this a great album, although puzzling probably at the time, and upon first listen.

If they had included Dandelion/We Love You on it and taken off "See What Happens", you'd have had an absolute classic.

Agreed! always thought Child of the Moon would of fit in nicely as well, but was told it wasn't written until Beggars Banquet sessions, but it sure sounds like a TSMR tune.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 2, 2011 16:35

Blue
treaclefingers

Agreed! always thought Child of the Moon would of fit in nicely as well, but was told it wasn't written until Beggars Banquet sessions, but it sure sounds like a TSMR tune.

With these changes, this coulda been an excellent album.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 2, 2011 17:02

It is now my favourite Rolling Stones album.

thumbs up

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 2, 2011 17:05

I repesct it for what it is but nothing more.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: November 2, 2011 17:26

How it can not be a Classic? Is this a Stones forum?

She's a Rainbow
2000 LYFH
2000 Man

And then you have the musicians that participated, starting with Lennon+Macca
John Paul Jones, Steve Marriot, Ronnie Lane, Nicky...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 2, 2011 19:28

I should start a sub-thread, is there anyone else who loves Sing this Song All together (See What Happens) ...

In any case, when I'm in the mood it IS great!

C

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: November 2, 2011 19:38

I love it! Experimental, raw, whimsy, fun, innovative and bold. We Love You/Dandelion also deserves good words.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2077
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home