Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Anyone else love Their Satanic Majesties Request?
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 4, 2011 23:47

I love satanic majesties, i posted on another thread about the merits of that album and between the buttons, 1967 was a vintage year in my opinion for the band, they went completely against thier roots and still pulled of some excellent tunes during an experimental phase, not many bands can do that and i think the stones suffer unfairly when some of thier albums are appraised simply because they are not exile, beggars or let it bleed, its only rock and roll suffers unfairly too in my opinion.

i think that if the beatles had produced between the buttons or elton john had made its only rock and roll they would have been hailed as classics for those artists but because its the stones its not considered the same way aa its compared to thier classic albums.

imagine if the stones hadnt branched out into other music genres and stuck with pretty much the early rough sound they had in the begining would they have lasted nearly 50 years, i doubt it, its the versatile creativity that made the band what they became.

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: November 5, 2011 02:14

Dandilion
Citadel
Land
2000 man
we love you
sing this song
rainbow
lantern
gomper
2000 LYFH

Great time capsule - would stand up to most of 1967

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 5, 2011 02:39

buttons67
I love satanic majesties, i posted on another thread about the merits of that album and between the buttons, 1967 was a vintage year in my opinion for the band, they went completely against thier roots and still pulled of some excellent tunes during an experimental phase, not many bands can do that and i think the stones suffer unfairly when some of thier albums are appraised simply because they are not exile, beggars or let it bleed, its only rock and roll suffers unfairly too in my opinion.

i think that if the beatles had produced between the buttons or elton john had made its only rock and roll they would have been hailed as classics for those artists but because its the stones its not considered the same way aa its compared to thier classic albums.

imagine if the stones hadnt branched out into other music genres and stuck with pretty much the early rough sound they had in the begining would they have lasted nearly 50 years, i doubt it, its the versatile creativity that made the band what they became.

Completely agree...I've said before if the Stones called it quits in 1967 they would still be one of the greatest bands ever....even without the big 4

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 5, 2011 03:30

I do like the album but I would say solid not great. I've always loved Citadel and 2000 Man. Where's that joint?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 5, 2011 16:04

neptune
His Majesty
Tis a pity they chose to go the more normal and boring blues/rock route from circa 1969 onwards.

They no longer had Brian Jones to get ideas.

Judging on the 8 CD set of outtakes I wonder how much influence Jones had from 1967 on...I guess his influence from Aftermath to Between the Buttons was huge, but it was all over the moment he lost Anita and got busted a couple of times.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 5, 2011 16:21

Mathijs

Judging on the 8 CD set of outtakes I wonder how much influence Jones had from 1967 on...I guess his influence from Aftermath to Between the Buttons was huge, but it was all over the moment he lost Anita and got busted a couple of times.

Mathijs

Hmm, Keith and to a lesser extent Mick are clearly leading the band/sessions musically in 1967, but most of Brian's contributions are still quite unique and great on Their Satanic Majesties Request and Beggars Banquet.

Brian's Hammond organ playing during The Lantern session is awful though, it's obvious why they mixed it out for most of the released track. His guitar playing on the very early takes is woeful too, he must have been wasted and/or couldn't be arsed.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2540
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home