Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: OT: CD-Format to be Abandoned by Major Labels by the End of 2012
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 1, 2011 15:56

I think it SUCKS! Why not leave us the option of buying cds!? I am one of those who loves browsing for cds....it does remind me of the times when record stores were THE place to meet....sad that we've goten so far away from that kind of connection but then again, who's surprised!? Kids today can't TALK or even write a complete sentence without using incomplete " words" like U and 4.....sick society!

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: December 1, 2011 19:36

Couldn't agree more mickschix. Can't even imagine listening to music thru my computer as a main source sad smiley

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 1, 2011 21:27

mickschix
I think it SUCKS! Why not leave us the option of buying cds!? I am one of those who loves browsing for cds....it does remind me of the times when record stores were THE place to meet....sad that we've goten so far away from that kind of connection but then again, who's surprised!? Kids today can't TALK or even write a complete sentence without using incomplete " words" like U and 4.....sick society!

you sound very old and out of it

Date: December 1, 2011 21:29

VoodooLounge13
And one can't help but to think, if CDs go, then why would anyone need a major record label to begin with?? Anyone who is at all tech savvy can record a song and upload it to their website for purchase. Now you're talking about a HUGE industry being phased out..........

Well, bands could do that if they wanted to anyway right now even with CDs. Some are. The problem is it still costs money - a lot of money - to record the music to sound good properly etc. Thieving it hurts everyone involved and shows that people don't respect what goes into making a recording available to begin with.

If a band was to record one song and put it on iTunes there is no guarantee they'll "recoup" the money spent to record the one song. So it's possible they wouldn't bother with another one since it doesn't pay.

If it's a band that tours all the time and makes a decent living doing so then maybe it doesn't matter. It's not "fair" or "even" anywhere. It will thin itself out over time: if you're not "popular" then it won't be bought or stolen.

Date: December 1, 2011 21:31

treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Every piece of music I have is on CD.

The cardboard 'eco friendly' is a joke. The plastic jewel cases are recyclable. They won't scratch up a CD like cardboard will.

Flac Doesn't scratch either. Looks as though you'll be upgrading.

I know nothing of this Flac thing. So probably not. At least for a while.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: December 1, 2011 21:33

mickschix

You know what sucks? Bad mastering : brickwalling recordings so much that you get ear fatigue after 3 tracks listening to a (brickwalled) cd on your stereo. Bring back dynamics in recordings, no matter what format!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 1, 2011 21:51

barbabang
mickschix

You know what sucks? Bad mastering : brickwalling recordings so much that you get ear fatigue after 3 tracks listening to a (brickwalled) cd on your stereo. Bring back dynamics in recordings, no matter what format!

i think it would be great to get back to phonograph cylinders...never understood why those didn't last. the packaging would lend itself to including a free poster with each purchase...stuff like that.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: December 2, 2011 07:23

Turd On The Run
We all have to get used to a "Multi-Format" paradigm.

That's the problem. If there is a high standard in sound and a main standard of file type then people would be more willing to embrace the download age. What should be accepted is the larger file size. This does not seem to change. As you notice, .wav and .aiff which are older formats and flac files which are newer are very similar in file size. i-pods and other mp3 type players are basically the same size regardless of the amount of memory they hold so there is no need for all sorts of gadgets for different mediums of music.

The music industry can make this happen. The technology is here. Pick a format, tell us the device we need to play it to hear it properly, Get it done already!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 2, 2011 23:28

StonesTod
mickschix

I'm not trying to gang up on mickschix but that made me laugh pretty hard!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 2, 2011 23:58

jamesfdouglas
StonesTod
mickschix

I'm not trying to gang up on mickschix but that made me laugh pretty hard!

that was admittedly granpa simpsonish

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home