Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Who plays the lead solo on Too Tight 1:45 - 2:10 ?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 31, 2011 16:33

DandelionPowderman
For many years I couldn't listen to Too Tight, because of the resemblance to Live's "Selling The Drama" smiling smiley

ron or keith play the solo on that? ron, again, i think....

Date: October 31, 2011 16:35

StonesTod
DandelionPowderman
For many years I couldn't listen to Too Tight, because of the resemblance to Live's "Selling The Drama" smiling smiley

ron or keith play the solo on that? ron, again, i think....

Eventually you'll be right - if we discuss enough songs winking smiley

Date: October 31, 2011 16:40

Stones have a resemblance to everything.

Waiting for the world to change is a copy of Keys To Your Love.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 31, 2011 17:05

marcovandereijk
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
That's Keith. My guess is that he's using the Music Man Silhouette, too.

It sounds like the '61 creme Tele with rosewood board to me. Surely not the MM.

Mathijs

You guys never cease to amaze me. How can you tell? Isn't it also a matter of which amp he used?
Or is the amp not even a matter of discussion (if so, I wonder what amp it would have been).

Of course in the end it is just an educated guess. First thing is that it absolutely is a Tele -it doesn't sound anything like a Gibson with humbuckers or P90's. These all sound much darker and heavier.

Then, Keith favored this '61 Tele from '86 to the early 00's for non open G tracks where the chording, riffing and solo-ing is somewhat more technical, like Flip the Switch. On these kind of tracks, that Tele has a fairly specific sound. It's a snarling Tele sound for sure, but there's a certain thickness to it, and a bit more warmth that is mainly due to the rosewood board. The Tele also has a certain airy-ness to it. I wouldn't be surprised if it has a very light body and a thin neck.

Check the second part of the solo on Too Tight with the intro of this, and you'll hear the resemblance:

The amp sounds like a smaller amp to me, something like a 50's Tweed Deluxe.

Mathijs

Date: October 31, 2011 17:18

Seriously Keith. Ron hasn't played with that presence in a long time.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: October 31, 2011 17:40

Great song all around. I always loved this solo and the way they mixed up the rhythm guitar gives it more punch. I always thought it was a KR solo.

The ending is cool too when it sounds like another rhythm guitar comes slashing in until the complete fadee out.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 31, 2011 17:44

all I can say is that it's a crappy MP3 . Awful

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 31, 2011 18:25

Mathijs
marcovandereijk
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
That's Keith. My guess is that he's using the Music Man Silhouette, too.

It sounds like the '61 creme Tele with rosewood board to me. Surely not the MM.

Mathijs

You guys never cease to amaze me. How can you tell? Isn't it also a matter of which amp he used?
Or is the amp not even a matter of discussion (if so, I wonder what amp it would have been).

Of course in the end it is just an educated guess. First thing is that it absolutely is a Tele -it doesn't sound anything like a Gibson with humbuckers or P90's. These all sound much darker and heavier.

Then, Keith favored this '61 Tele from '86 to the early 00's for non open G tracks where the chording, riffing and solo-ing is somewhat more technical, like Flip the Switch. On these kind of tracks, that Tele has a fairly specific sound. It's a snarling Tele sound for sure, but there's a certain thickness to it, and a bit more warmth that is mainly due to the rosewood board. The Tele also has a certain airy-ness to it. I wouldn't be surprised if it has a very light body and a thin neck.

Check the second part of the solo on Too Tight with the intro of this, and you'll hear the resemblance:

The amp sounds like a smaller amp to me, something like a 50's Tweed Deluxe.

Mathijs

I did listen to both of them, but still not convinced, To Tight solo sounds completely different to me, to much harmony for Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-31 20:36 by NICOS.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 31, 2011 18:56

i think keith is the only one who still thinks those @#$%& up bendings make any musical sense. those solo licks are a big mistery to me. how can a such a gifted musician insist on playing those wrong notes over and over again????

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: October 31, 2011 18:57

Clearly Keith

Date: October 31, 2011 19:22

Clearly Ronnie.

I listened to it once and was convinced.

Damm this sucks@! smiling smiley

Re: Who plays the lead solo on Too Tight 1:45 - 2:10 here ?
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 31, 2011 19:30

Keith for sure and man seeing that video of FTS live in 1997 makes me sad, Keith could still really play in those days couldn't he...

Does anyone have the link to the "Husker Du" song that sounds like "Too Tight" ?

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: October 31, 2011 19:43

It is 100% Keith.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 31, 2011 19:44

it's 104% ron

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: October 31, 2011 20:22

another vote for Keith here

Posted by: Dali ()
Date: October 31, 2011 20:37

Keith.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: October 31, 2011 20:42

steel driving hammer
Clearly Ronnie.

I listened to it once and was convinced.

Damm this sucks@! smiling smiley

Good to have you back Steel driving hammer, I see you have been here for 7 years but only have 23 posts with quite a few of them coming today, lol. Hope you decide to drop in and post more often.

I think it's Keith.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 31, 2011 20:55

Most definitely Keith.

The first three notes are his classic "noodling/bend" that he's been doing for years now (which can be found ALL over SAL)he just extended it into a looooong bend. The other characteristics of the solo can be found in many other phrases of other solos he's done throughout the years.

That opening riff is still the coolest/most bad ass opening riff Keith has written since "Start Me Up"

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 31, 2011 20:59

Justin
Most definitely Keith.

The first three notes are his classic "noodling/bend" that he's been doing for years now (which can be found ALL over SAL)he just extended it into a looooong bend. The other characteristics of the solo can be found in many other phrases of other solos he's done throughout the years.

That opening riff is still the coolest/most bad ass opening riff Keith has written since "Start Me Up"

Yes there are some licks here which is unmistakeable Keith. And those were great licks. Yet; I got a "Shine A Light deja vu" when re-hearing the solo today; unfortunately. "Too Tight" is my favourite RS rocker since 1983, btw

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 31, 2011 21:00

Post the question on KR FB but I guess Jane Rose is unable to answer and Keith does not remember (he does remember, read Life lspinning smiley sticking its tongue out)

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 31, 2011 21:02

Justin
Most definitely Keith.

Exactly. Listen to She Was Hot, Sad Sad Sad, and basically any solo he's done since the 90's. It's that typical square noodling he does on stage, but on this track it is worked out before nicely.

Mathijs

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 31, 2011 21:04

Mathijs
Justin
Most definitely Keith.

Exactly. Listen to She Was Hot, Sad Sad Sad, and basically any solo he's done since the 90's. It's that typical square noodling he does on stage, but on this track it is worked out before nicely.

Mathijs

This settles it for me.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1635
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home