Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: A review of the 12 bonus tracks on the 2011 “Some Girls” reissue.
Posted by: SoulPlunderer ()
Date: October 31, 2011 02:33

dcba
"I'm still expecting some lyrical changes or edits, but we'll see."

It would be funny if Jagger replaced "Claudine" by "Carla [Bruni]"

I don't remember Carla killing anyone!
They'd definaty end up in court if they accused her of something like that. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: October 31, 2011 03:44

big4
After reading the review here are some thoughts about the release:

Claudine-nice to see they left it alone, even still with the original lyrics

So Young-don't see the point in including this one.

Do You Think I Really Care-"clearly enunciating the lyrics"-ouch! let's hope it doesn't mess up this "outtake classic"

When You're Gone-it's a middling outtake but I'm looking forward to hear what they did with it

No Spare Parts-the drunken charm is gone from the outtake and it's a bit too serious of a song now, but aside from the out of place acoustic guitar this sounds fine.

Don't Be A Stranger-Kowalski might be right about this being "Never Let Her Go" on the outtakes. I've always liked the 50's style guitar work on that one.

We Had It All-sounds like very little was done to this one, which is great because it's one of Keith's finest.

Tallahassee Lassie-Sounds like Jagger just did some new vocals and nothing else was changed. it's a nice nod to their roots but along with So Young not sure of it's inclusion over stronger material from the era.

I Love You Too Much-I'm really interested in hearing this version, especially how it sounds with prominent Keith backing vox (I wonder if they have been added in 2011?).

Keep Away Blues-I wonder the origins of this one-Armpit Blues maybe?? There is a prominent harp on that one. If so, it's a great choice.

You Win Again-They did keep Keith's vocals after all. though the drunken jagger vocals will be missed

Petrol Blues-sounds like they're just using part of it and despite the credits (since they were wrong about Keith on You Win Again) saying it's Mick on piano, I'm sure it'll be Stu.

Overall sounds like a solid collection. I'm looking forward to buying and hearing it.

Where have you been? This version has been available for years now. Can't imagine there was anything added in 2011.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 31, 2011 03:50

Mathijs
So Jagger redid the vocals on Do You Think I Really Care...

What a shame.

Mathijs

I'm ok w/ it... I already have the version w/ original vocals, I think I prefer something different.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 31, 2011 11:11

barbabang
Whale
StonesTod
sounds like it's worth a free illegal download
Well, a free illegal download is all the record industry deserves. I'm so sick of hearing some journalist telling me that she's already heard it. Did she pay for it? No. So why does she have more rights than I do?
Really, I hope that these record industry executives who let loads of people a free pass to make it clear that they couldn't look down more on their customers, whom they prosecute like criminals, well I hope that these people will soon enjoy the pleasures of chinese private equity removing them from their jobs and stealing their pensions.
They deserve nothing better. That this journalist gets to hear it before the dedicated fans who pay good money is just another slap in the face.

The fact that a journalist gets a tracklisting and than 2 weeks later another journalist gets to review the tracks is all part of the built up in the marketing campaign to create a buzz. To create maximum sales. It's how it works.

I think there was a post a while ago where somebody made it clear what went wrong in the marketing of superheavy.

Sure they should buzz it, but the time where paper news mattered and journalists were given all sorts of advantages are over I hope.

And as said, I'm sick of an industry that still hasn't understood that it should value their customers. Even now, when they are the point of falling over, they still don't get it. The attempts to install censorship and restrict freedom keep going on. It's them that lobby with governments to have the ability to take out sites whenever they want. And to add insult to injury they let a journalist who does not give a s**t about this music have the goodies before paying customers do.
Next month the journalist can sell the promo copy for good money on ebay. Great.

Date: October 31, 2011 14:49

What say we initiate an Occupy Journalists movement and camp out on their doorstep until the freebies are given to the fans who would otherwise pay for them? The Revolution Begins Today!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 31, 2011 15:26

So, let me see if I've got this right....

None of us have heard this record yet and we're pulling apart the review of someone who actually has?

And even begrudging their right to hear the record before they write a review of it?

Inspiring stuff.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 31, 2011 15:56

LeonidP
Mathijs

What a shame.

Mathijs

I'm ok w/ it... I already have the version w/ original vocals, I think I prefer something different.

you think you prefer something you haven't heard yet? that's kinda like on let's make a deal, you take what's behind curtain #2 after knowing what's behind the first curtain...or something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-31 16:29 by StonesTod.

Date: October 31, 2011 15:58

Gazza

None of us have heard this record yet and we're pulling apart the review of someone who actually has?

And even begrudging their right to hear the record before they write a review of it?

i'll take it a step further. i say she beats her kids and cheats on her husband.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 31, 2011 16:02

Gazza

Inspiring stuff.

Essentially you have it.
But don't forget we deserve the right to hate our favorite bands decisions, a few want Taylor back, some think Charlie should be in charge, and others think Mick sings like some sort of cat now.

Got it?

Date: October 31, 2011 16:48

Gazza

Inspiring stuff.
It's not about this record per se.
It's about the fact that I and many others here are dying to hear a record and are willing to pay good money to do so. The record company should do good and serve us first, if they actually want to make a buck.
Instead, the same people who sold us overpriced CDs for years, and are currently very busy removing some basic freedoms from us, are giving the goodies to others who are not paying at all.
It's like a restaurant owner, who has overpriced his food for years, that lets his paying customers in the restaurant all wait three hours for the food so that the one journalist who is not paying can be served. In the mean time that restaurant owner is trying to change the law so that he can get all his customers in jail. And the restaurant owner is surprised that he's almost going bust.
It's about that.
But don't worry I'll buy the superdeluxe at my local retailer as soon as it's there.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 31, 2011 18:22

Whale
Gazza

Inspiring stuff.
It's about the fact that I and many others here are dying to hear a record and are willing to pay good money to do so. The record company should do good and serve us first, if they actually want to make a buck.
Instead, the same people who sold us overpriced CDs for years, and are currently very busy removing some basic freedoms from us, are giving the goodies to others who are not paying at all.
It's like a restaurant owner, who has overpriced his food for years, that lets his paying customers in the restaurant all wait three hours for the food so that the one journalist who is not paying can be served. In the mean time that restaurant owner is trying to change the law so that he can get all his customers in jail. And the restaurant owner is surprised that he's almost going bust.
It's about that.

Please tell me you are kidding.

Gazza spelled it out to you earlier. (You Can't Always Get What You Want)

That being said....good, bad or ?? this is merely one person's opinion.

Carla Hay's claim to fame is that she met all members (except Brian). Whooped-dee-doo.
And she once had something syndicated by Reuters. Whooped-dee-doo #2.
None of this gives her any more insight than most of us at IORR have.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 31, 2011 18:43

Whale
It's about that.

Its not remotely ANYTHING like that at all.

The record company who have invested millions in this band's music - something you havent done - have a vested interest in raising awareness of the release of a new product.

Your logic dictates that there should be no reviews of this record until the thing is in the shops. Which is a nonsensical position as many of the publications reviewing it are monthly magazines who would end up featuring a release that is already old news.

One of the reasons why the Exile reissue was so successful was because of the advance hype it got.

Jesus, a reviewer heard a Stones album before you did. Hardly worth getting exasperated about.

Date: October 31, 2011 19:15

Gazza
Whale
It's about that.

The record company who have invested millions in this band's music - something you havent done - have a vested interest in raising awareness of the release of a new product.

Your logic dictates that there should be no reviews of this record until the thing is in the shops. Which is a nonsensical position as many of the publications reviewing it are monthly magazines who would end up featuring a release that is already old news.

One of the reasons why the Exile reissue was so successful was because of the advance hype it got.

Jesus, a reviewer heard a Stones album before you did. Hardly worth getting exasperated about.
Why should there be reviews of this record before it is released? Just release it and the reviews will come.
Then that will be a good date for some magazines, and a bad date for others. Just like it is now. I want to hear this record and I am not interested in hearing that somebody else heard it.
The record company is just an entrepeneur, and that means investing as well as serving your customers.
It is very obvious that the record companies loathe their customers.
Now it's a CD, next time it's a couple of well-connected guys getting a front seat they didn't pay for. All in the name of marketing.
But that marketing they do is completely misguided, as the Superheavy example showed.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 31, 2011 19:22

...and it's not like she writes for the NYT either, heck, no one's been able to link to that original review, talk about good and broad advertising. A Google search [www.examiner.com] shows she writes for People magazine and Bilboard, is that where this review came from ?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 31, 2011 19:25

Whale
Gazza
Whale
It's about that.

Why should there be reviews of this record before it is released? Just release it and the reviews will come.
Then that will be a good date for some magazines, and a bad date for others. Just like it is now. I want to hear this record and I am not interested in hearing that somebody else heard it.
The record company is just an entrepeneur, and that means investing as well as serving your customers.
It is very obvious that the record companies loathe their customers.
Now it's a CD, next time it's a couple of well-connected guys getting a front seat they didn't pay for. All in the name of marketing.
But that marketing they do is completely misguided, as the Superheavy example showed.

oh boy..where do i start?

i'll just let gazza try again. winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 31, 2011 19:32

Munichhilton
Gazza

Inspiring stuff.

Essentially you have it.
But don't forget we deserve the right to hate our favorite bands decisions, a few want Taylor back, some think Charlie should be in charge, and others think Mick sings like some sort of cat now.

Got it?

...after listening to 'Streets of Love', 'Following the River' and others

Date: October 31, 2011 19:41

Gazza
The record company who have invested millions in this band's music - something you havent done -

you mean it just seems like millions?

Date: October 31, 2011 20:30

StonesTod
LeonidP
Mathijs

What a shame.

Mathijs

you think you prefer something you haven't heard yet? that's kinda like on let's make a deal, you take what's behind curtain #2 after knowing what's behind the first curtain...or something.

well if i want to hear the original, i already have that and can listen anytime i want ... why wouldn't i prefer something different to be on the official release? that would be like saying I want them to play the studio versions of the song when performing live, so that I don't have to hear it differently.

Date: October 31, 2011 20:33

LeonidP
StonesTod
LeonidP
Mathijs

What a shame.

Mathijs

well if i want to hear the original, i already have that and can listen anytime i want ... why wouldn't i prefer something different to be on the official release? that would be like saying I want them to play the studio versions of the song when performing live, so that I don't have to hear it differently.

i would appreciate it if when using an analogy that you choose the proper tv show....

Date: October 31, 2011 20:47

StonesTod
LeonidP
StonesTod
LeonidP
Mathijs

What a shame.

Mathijs

i would appreciate it if when using an analogy that you choose the proper tv show....

That would be like Richard Dawson giving you a kiss, and then you kiss him again instead of kissing Alex Trebek

Date: October 31, 2011 20:51

LeonidP
StonesTod
LeonidP
StonesTod
LeonidP
Mathijs

What a shame.

Mathijs

That would be like Richard Dawson giving you a kiss, and then you kiss him again instead of kissing Alex Trebek

hmmm...well...i like the kissing idea presented here...but i do think you need to work on your analog skills....

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 31, 2011 21:37

kowalski
KRiffhard
Don’t Be a Stranger
(Total running time: 4:06)

It’s not a reggae song, but it has a reggae vibe. “Don’t Be a Stranger” is another mid-tempo number that has a simple and catchy chorus. The melodies have a sing-song, lilting quality to it that match the carefree, inviting spirit of the lyrics. For example, the opening lines are: “I haven’t seen your face for years. I thought you had just disappeared. Don’t you worry. What are friends for? You can call me up most anytime. I never go to bed ‘til 5. Don’t be stranger. Just knock on my door … Don’t be a stranger, a stranger no more.”

Could it be a re-work of "Never Let Her Go" ?

Simply magnificent thumbs up hot smiley cool smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 31, 2011 23:09

paulywaul
kowalski
KRiffhard
Don’t Be a Stranger

It’s not a reggae song, but it has a reggae vibe. “Don’t Be a Stranger” is another mid-tempo number that has a simple and catchy chorus. The melodies have a sing-song, lilting quality to it that match the carefree, inviting spirit of the lyrics. For example, the opening lines are: “I haven’t seen your face for years. I thought you had just disappeared. Don’t you worry. What are friends for? You can call me up most anytime. I never go to bed ‘til 5. Don’t be stranger. Just knock on my door … Don’t be a stranger, a stranger no more.”

...just as misty roads, i need you, lonely at the top, not the way to go, fiji jim, some people tell me

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 31, 2011 23:13

StonesTod
LeonidP
Mathijs

What a shame.

Mathijs

I prefer anything from the 70's with original vocals over anything sung by Jagger in 2011.

Mathijs

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 31, 2011 23:17

paulywaul
kowalski
KRiffhard
Don’t Be a Stranger

You know, I love outtakes. Not being able to hear the words is part of the charm, but this track makes me realize why Jagger jad to redo vocal s and lyrics.
I can't understand a word he says. Yeah, its charming for us, but for who else?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 31, 2011 23:25

Gazza

Inspiring stuff.

So let me get this straight, your begrudging the guy, that is begrudging the journalist, that is giving us the review...I begrudge your right to begrudge the begrudger!

I also begrudge the original begrudger.

I'd also like to begrudge the journalist, but hey, he's just responding to an invitation from the record company, and begrudgingly accepted the invitation to write the review.

It's completely bemusing.

Date: October 31, 2011 23:28

Gazza

Inspiring stuff.

I'm sorry, Gazza, do you want your Occupy Journalism t-shirt or not? I need a decision. Disgruntled Stones fans won't wait forever...or actually yes, they will but they'll complain the whole time.

BTW, did we ever get a final answer on an actual target date for when the Stones have to sh1t or get off the can? I lost interest before that thread finished.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: October 31, 2011 23:39

I really hope "So Young" isn't just the '94 version. From what I am reading, it appears that I wrongly thought the song "Lucky in Love" was "Not The Way To Go". (Obviously not to be confused with the '85 Jagger track). I've got "Lucky in Love" on the Invasion Umlimited CD "Made in the Shade '78".....the song is not listed in the Martin Elliott book "The complete recordings of the Rolling Stones 1962-2002" (anyone else have that book?). I seem to hear Jagger singing something along the lines of "not the way to go".....anyway......the investigative work continues.....

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 1, 2011 12:54

floodonthepage
I really hope "So Young" isn't just the '94 version.

Me too, but if it isn't the '94 version, then it's most likely a 2011 version. The fact that Jagger recorded new vocals in '94 indicates that there is no finished version from the Some Girls sessions.

However, if it's really the '94 version - a version that has already been released as a b-side - the exclusion of Everything Is Turning To Gold is even less understandable.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 1, 2011 15:31

Let's wait and hear it ourselves before tearing it apart!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1681
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home