Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

guitar help
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: October 28, 2011 21:32

I have been playing guitar for years...without formal lessons. Can play some slide in open tunings ...or some pretty good lead licks, but technically do not know what I am doing.

Or as I have said to friends, I can make the guitar sound pretty good, but would be lost if I had to sit in with a jazz band & they called out the key.

My goal is to be able to play in any band situation...where they call out the key, & I have some clue as to what I am doing.

I have admired Keith & the stones sound ...but also love the technical approach that Bob Weir uses.

so my question is where do I start?

Learn the major scale? ...then the Minor scales? Then modes?

sidebar: Perhpaps this would be a good forum for someone to give a weekly guitar lesson ??

Re: guitar help
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 28, 2011 21:39

First, you must play play play...and most of the time...out of your comfort zone. Sit with a guitar, put on any song...and try to play it. Try to play along with the chords...try to fit in some leads... a solo...don't look up the chords online...just wing it. You need to build that ear. To be in a band and have a key called out and know what you're doing...you need an ear and experience. Start with the blues...do as much lead work as you can; but don't stick to one section of the guitar. Move around and get to know the entire neck. Get to know where each section works for you for each key you're in. You need to really explore the guitar and leave no stone unturned.

Once you've done this...just keep playing.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 28, 2011 21:58

Like he said, but scales don't hurt to know.
They come in pretty handy as a starting point until you can play by feel.
These are some great bluesy scales you can do in any key. I always find the first one on the left pretty handy...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 28, 2011 22:14

chrism13

My goal is to be able to play in any band situation...where they call out the key, & I have some clue as to what I am doing.

Ambitious smiling smiley

I agree with the previous posters, and if that includes jazz and fusion: search for a skilled guitarist who teaches you about harmonics and reading music. No use playing scales up and down the neck if you don't understand their relationship to chords, and the chords-relationship
And most of all: Enjoy!

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: October 28, 2011 22:29

dont really want to play jazz (yet) or fusion...mostly interested in blues, rock, reggae, some country.

Just want to make some inroads theory wise ..and not sure where to start.

Date: October 28, 2011 22:31

Then forget my post.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: October 28, 2011 22:43

Most of what I know about music theory I put together by knowing how the guitar is tuned and what the intervals between frets are. If you know that, you can figure out what notes make up a chord and what notes or scale you can play with them. Also, 'listen' to what you are playing and note how it sounds against the music you are playing to. I have this to be one of the bests I have done in learning guitar. After many years, I'm still learning!

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: October 29, 2011 00:57

Music is an odd thing, some people have a great technique but no ear, some have a great ear but no technical ability. but it basically comes down to you doing the hard things and not taking the easy way out. You will have a Eureka moment eventually, everybody does, if they dont give up.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: October 29, 2011 02:44

I can't say enough about this guy, Adam St. James and his free on line lessons, if you follow this FREE course and practice you will be so much better 3 months from now you will be amazed. He is a great motivator too.

[www.12weekguitarcourse.com]

Best thing you can go at your own pace and watch any lesson over as often as you want forever.

But do yourself a favor and learn the notes of every fret on the low E and A strings at minimum. (all strings if can but knowing the foundation strings is critical)

I am 44 and am passable after a couple years of picking up the guitar. I focus on rhythm skills to create songs most but am starting to get some solo licks down...

rock on.

Mark

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 29, 2011 06:46

get a good haircut, a hot scantily clad singer, a drummer who knows where the 2 and 4 are...you'll go far kid. you don't really need to know how to play, just be there when the gate keeper opens the door. peace.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: October 29, 2011 10:18

You don't mention chords. Do you know different chords? Can you play your lead licks in different keys? If not, that would be a good starting point. Play a bit of rhythm guitar. Jam a bit with friend. You don't need an encyclopedic knowledge for most types of music (jazz being one of the exceptions), but it is useful to know basic chords and progressions. Scales are useful, but you have to relate them to the chords, like the licks you already know.

Some great players; like Buddy Guy, claim not to know what notes they're playing and that's fine if you've got a natural genius. Most of us need some sort of framework.

It's a great journey that goes on as far as you want. Don't confuse yourself (that's what put me off jazz playing years ago - maybe it's time to try it again) and, most of all, enjoy.

Date: October 29, 2011 15:10

Naturalust
you don't really need to know how to play, just be there when the gate keeper opens the door. peace.

You must be a Wood-era fan.winking smiley

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: October 29, 2011 15:20

chrism13
I have been playing guitar for years...without formal lessons. Can play some slide in open tunings ...or some pretty good lead licks, but technically do not know what I am doing.

Or as I have said to friends, I can make the guitar sound pretty good, but would be lost if I had to sit in with a jazz band & they called out the key.

I have admired Keith & the stones sound ...but also love the technical approach that Bob Weir uses.

Learn the major scale? ...then the Minor scales? Then modes?

sidebar: Perhpaps this would be a good forum for someone to give a weekly guitar lesson ??

I suggest you get one or two of the fretboard roadmap series by Fred Sokolow. They're easy to understand and comprehhensive too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fretboard-Roadmaps-Essential-Patterns-Techniques/dp/0793520886[/url

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Date: October 29, 2011 17:39

Amsterdamned
Naturalust
you don't really need to know how to play, just be there when the gate keeper opens the door. peace.

You must be a Wood-era fan.winking smiley

lmfao! no, not really, I preferred MT but I HAVE been watching and listening. smiling smiley peace

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 30, 2011 04:52

chrism13

I dont own this game, but I am glad to see someone
release a game that uses something besides than a
toy guitar. I said 5 years ago, "if someone is going
to waste time playing this type of game, why not integrate a real guitar into it?"

It looks like someone may have. As I said, I have no
idea if this thing is worth the money, but if you are a
beginner, it might be worth a try. I would love to hear
how well it works.... hear your opinion, if you try it.

It seems they have developed an 11 foot cord that plugs
into your REAL GUITAR
and turns the analog signal into a
digital signal that comes out the other end, a USB plug
which plugs into a game box (XBOX, PS3 etc). I guess as you play
the game, it rewards you with points for playing correctly, and
it appears when all is said an done, you have learned how to play guitar.

Here is a whole page of videos about it... [www.youtube.com]

good luck, and have fun

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-30 05:10 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: October 30, 2011 05:19

Max'sKansasCity
chrism13

I dont own this game, but I am glad to see someone
release a game that uses something besides than a
toy guitar. I said 5 years ago, "if someone is going
to waste time playing this type of game, why not integrate a real guitar into it?"

It looks like someone may have. As I said, I have no
idea if this thing is worth the money, but if you are a
beginner, it might be worth a try. I would love to hear
how well it works.... hear your opinion, if you try it.

It seems they have developed an 11 foot cord that plugs
into your REAL GUITAR
and turns the analog signal into a
digital signal that comes out the other end, a USB plug
which plugs into a game box (XBOX, PS3 etc). I guess as you play
the game, it rewards you with points for playing correctly, and
it appears when all is said an done, you have learned how to play guitar.

Here is a whole page of videos about it... [www.youtube.com]

good luck, and have fun

I can't think of a better game to create guitar robots....the last thing rock needs right now....this would be my last recommendation...although looks quite interesting... Yes the timing is digitally perfect and most rock today is based off a click track but for me, if the drummer wavers a bit that is rock and roll. Although there are many click track rock songs I love. Live music for me must be real and organic to be good.
Guitarist "programed" to follow digitally prefect cues can't fill the space between the strumming with their feel due to focusing on following visual cues...faster and faster......

not even sure that makes sense...

Date: October 30, 2011 05:43

Markdog
I can't think of a better game to create guitar robots....the last thing rock needs right now....this would be my last recommendation...although looks quite interesting... Yes the timing is digitally perfect and most rock today is based off a click track but for me, if the drummer wavers a bit that is rock and roll. Although there are many click track rock songs I love. Live music for me must be real and organic to be good.
Guitarist "programed" to follow digitally prefect cues can't fill the space between the strumming with their feel due to focusing on following visual cues...faster and faster......

This game is new...
it looks like it could be a fun and work....
if you dont like it, that is your opinion.....
I was simply suggesting it as a "WHERE DO I START"... in reply to....
chrism13

I suppose it might create a robot if it is all a new player used, but I doubt anyone will only use one method when learning. As I have posted before here... I think using a variety of learning methods is best, I call it the "spoke method".... as I explained on this thread. [www.iorr.org]

[www.iorr.org]
""I believe in the "spoke method".... like the spokes on a bike wheel... every spoke is a different route, but all lead to the center objective.... by reading music, by using tabs, notation, ears, eyes, original writing, copying others, eliminating, plucking, fighting, throwing, screaming, stopping, starting, muscle memory, changing, listening, watching, expanding, straight, drunk, new partners, learn bass, learn drums, learn piano... ""

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-30 05:53 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: October 30, 2011 06:30

Max'sKansasCity
Markdog

This game is new...
it looks like it could be a fun and work....
if you dont like it, that is your opinion.....
I was simply suggesting it as a "WHERE DO I START"... in reply to....
chrism13

I suppose it might create a robot if it is all a new player used, but I doubt anyone will only use one method when learning. As I have posted before here... I think using a variety of learning methods is best, I call it the "spoke method".... as I explained on this thread. [www.iorr.org]

[www.iorr.org]
""I believe in the "spoke method".... like the spokes on a bike wheel... every spoke is a different route, but all lead to the center objective.... by reading music, by using tabs, notation, ears, eyes, original writing, copying others, eliminating, plucking, fighting, throwing, screaming, stopping, starting, muscle memory, changing, listening, watching, expanding, straight, drunk, new partners, learn bass, learn drums, learn piano... ""

Very nicely said and yes the central objective which is...play guitar well or better then you currently are, joining a band, get out in public, self satisfaction, create something original, boredom, told to, etc..

I think you must be a fool to think you can make a living playing guitar...but of the people I knew growing up only those that gave it all up for rock n roll had any success but of those none are pros making a living at it. It has to be the "fun" reason first I think......

Date: October 30, 2011 06:48

Markdog
Very nicely said and yes the central objective which is...play guitar well or better then you currently are, joining a band, get out in public, self satisfaction, create something original, boredom, told to, etc..

I think you must be a fool to think you can make a living playing guitar...but of the people I knew growing up only those that gave it all up for rock n roll had any success but of those none are pros making a living at it. It has to be the "fun" reason first I think......

One might be a fool to think one can actually make a living playing baseball, football, gambling, playing poker, playing guitar(or music), being an actor, movie director or Olympic athlete.... or for that matter attempting any of a wide variety of occupations where 1000s of others can, and do, make a living, but considering there are 7 BILLION people on the planet, one might be wise to choose an occupation where the percentages are higher... maybe an electrician....

I started learning to play guitar about 10 years ago, and even though I have gone through some lulls, I am overall delighted with what I have accomplished... but in the end it is just another expensive diversion... but it is a lot of fun.

Date: October 30, 2011 06:51

Not that anyone cares but this is me playing for 2 years at 44 years old (yup old f-er now), but have been a drummer since 18 and no not great at anything..playing at MIM tele 2008 with neck factory PU in the bridge on the rhythm guitars and a classic vibe strat for riffy lead/lick guitar through a vox valvetronic amp into a tascam DP-01FX recorder. The Pearl Vision drums do sound good for home recording (2 mics, one for bass drum on one for rest) and squier p-bass....blah blah who cares....

I'm not bragging in the least just showing that even a middle aged @ss like me can pull something off with practice...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-30 06:56 by Markdog.

Date: October 30, 2011 06:58

Markdog

thumbs up

Date: October 31, 2011 03:57

Stay true to your heart and passionately follow your passion in life without fear and you will never have to work another day in your life. If you are doing what you love, chances are you will do it well and success will follow. There is alot of demand for good entertainers out there , especially people who can play good rock and roll. With the baby boomers all getting wealthy and older and the old school rockers dropping like flies, I don't see the demand going down anytime soon. Come in here dear boy have a cigar..... peace.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 31, 2011 05:17

Some comments it's probably best NOT to heed, but nonetheless worth having in mind:

1) In one of John Lennon's last interviews, he told the BBC that in the 1960's he never played guitar on other people's sessions the way George and Paul did because he felt he wasn't good enough. (This, when John was in the Beatles at the top of their success.) John said, "I couldn't go in and play a session like George plays, you know, a limited vocabulary on guitar and the piano. So what could I do going in with Cream?" So it wasn't until the 1970's that he finally did outside sessions with David Bowie and Elton John.

2) Bono said, "U2 aren't good enough musicians to play other people's music."

3) Robbie Krieger said, "The Doors weren't good enough to play anything but our own songs."

Which shows how important band chemistry is.

P.S. I was amazed when I watched U2's documentary RATTLE AND HUM last month for the first time to see the bit where B.B. King guests with them on stage. During rehearsal, B.B. King sheepishly tells Bono, "I'm no good with chords. I have someone in my band handle those. I'm no good with chords." Bono says of the song they wrote for him to play, "Well, this song only has two chords." And B.B. King STILL keeps repeating, "I'm no good with chords." Some guitar god!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-31 05:25 by Title5Take1.

Date: October 31, 2011 17:13

Title5Take1
Some comments it's probably best NOT to heed, but nonetheless worth having in mind:

1) In one of John Lennon's last interviews, he told the BBC that in the 1960's he never played guitar on other people's sessions the way George and Paul did because he felt he wasn't good enough. (This, when John was in the Beatles at the top of their success.) John said, "I couldn't go in and play a session like George plays, you know, a limited vocabulary on guitar and the piano. So what could I do going in with Cream?" So it wasn't until the 1970's that he finally did outside sessions with David Bowie and Elton John.

2) Bono said, "U2 aren't good enough musicians to play other people's music."

3) Robbie Krieger said, "The Doors weren't good enough to play anything but our own songs."

Which shows how important band chemistry is.

P.S. I was amazed when I watched U2's documentary RATTLE AND HUM last month for the first time to see the bit where B.B. King guests with them on stage. During rehearsal, B.B. King sheepishly tells Bono, "I'm no good with chords. I have someone in my band handle those. I'm no good with chords." Bono says of the song they wrote for him to play, "Well, this song only has two chords." And B.B. King STILL keeps repeating, "I'm no good with chords." Some guitar god!

facinating stuff there. I'm not sure band chemistry is the message here though. Although that is certainly important , I guess the message is Do Your Own Thing. Most folks have to have some foundation of technique prior to launching into there own thing as an artist. A time when you quit listening to and playing other peoples music and see what can be created with just you and your bandmates. It doesn't have to take a long time but the foundation better be in place when the safety net gets pulled away. peace.

Date: October 31, 2011 17:41

Make sure you got a solid drummer behind you, and lock up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home