Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: WAS the ABB bang tour really bad?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 28, 2011 03:40

sweet neo con
uhbuhgullayew
Gazza

..and all so they could play a stadium show...to just 30,000 fans in the same stadium where 60,000 had saw them play 13 months earlier..

Proof of what a shambles much of the latter end of the ABB tour was. Cohl booking them into freezing stadiums in awful weather conditions (couldnt they have played one night at the United Centre instead?) - no wonder Jagger's voice ended up going. Large sections of stadia tarped off due to poor sales, last minute 2 tickets for the price of 1 'firesales' in order to shift thousands of unsold tickets. A low point in their career without question.

Only 30,000 showed up in a "rock n roll city" like Chicago???

People there have no problem freezing their asses off for a football game in December or January.

Yeah, a huge blunder by Cohl, however, where were all of the fans of Chicago? There are nearly 10M people in the metro area (as anyone who lives within a couple of hours of there claims that they are from Chicago.)

No wonder Cleveland has the Rock N Roll Hall and not Chicago - Cleveland would have filled the place.

Surprised me too! But it probably has to do with the frequent stops in Chicago...the high ticket prices (i didn't know about the "buy one get one" deal) and the fact the weather was so miserable that there were no show-day ticket purchases for fear of cancellation. ?? I'm sure Gazza knows more stats & details. I won tickets from a Milw radio station THAT morning and raced down to Soldier Field after work....missed opener Elvis Costello.

Precisely. They had visited Chicago in September '05 playing to 60,000 at Soldier Field, and then returned to play the UC for two nights in January '06 (two sell outs at I guess about 22-23,000 each night). They just milked the market dry.

The 'firesale' ticket deals took place for several shows.11th hour offers of 4 x $99 tickets for the price of 2, or 2 for the price of 1 etc.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 28, 2011 03:48

Gazza
sweet neo con
uhbuhgullayew
Gazza

..and all so they could play a stadium show...to just 30,000 fans in the same stadium where 60,000 had saw them play 13 months earlier..

Proof of what a shambles much of the latter end of the ABB tour was. Cohl booking them into freezing stadiums in awful weather conditions (couldnt they have played one night at the United Centre instead?) - no wonder Jagger's voice ended up going. Large sections of stadia tarped off due to poor sales, last minute 2 tickets for the price of 1 'firesales' in order to shift thousands of unsold tickets. A low point in their career without question.

Only 30,000 showed up in a "rock n roll city" like Chicago???

People there have no problem freezing their asses off for a football game in December or January.

Yeah, a huge blunder by Cohl, however, where were all of the fans of Chicago? There are nearly 10M people in the metro area (as anyone who lives within a couple of hours of there claims that they are from Chicago.)

No wonder Cleveland has the Rock N Roll Hall and not Chicago - Cleveland would have filled the place.

Surprised me too! But it probably has to do with the frequent stops in Chicago...the high ticket prices (i didn't know about the "buy one get one" deal) and the fact the weather was so miserable that there were no show-day ticket purchases for fear of cancellation. ?? I'm sure Gazza knows more stats & details. I won tickets from a Milw radio station THAT morning and raced down to Soldier Field after work....missed opener Elvis Costello.

Precisely. They had visited Chicago in September '05 playing to 60,000 at Soldier Field, and then returned to play the UC for two nights in January '06 (two sell outs at I guess about 22-23,000 each night). They just milked the market dry.

The 'firesale' ticket deals took place for several shows.11th hour offers of 4 x $99 tickets for the price of 2, or 2 for the price of 1 etc.

....and to this day I dont know why they skipped playing Kansas City on that tour. They played several cities numerous times and they played some waaaaaaaaaaaaay out of the way, unusual places, but they skipped KC? It just doesnt seem to make business sense. KC gets most national touring acts, and all of them usually sell out.

Nevertheless, I saw this tour 5 times, and I thought it was a great time every time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-28 03:50 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 28, 2011 03:50

...maybe they were afraid Mick Taylor was going to show up again like in '81, only this time looking for money..... eye popping smiley

Date: October 28, 2011 03:51

Gazza
...maybe they were afraid Mick Taylor was going to show up again like in '81, only this time looking for money..... eye popping smiley

Lspinning smiley sticking its tongue outL

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: October 28, 2011 04:02

nostalgically, no. musically & artistically, it was an epic fail.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 28, 2011 04:03

Justin
sweet neo con
Chicago (Oct 2006) - Surreal experience. Reported as coldest Stones show ever. Played She Was Hot live for the first time. The band was dressed in long Winter coats, gloves and hats. Keith often motioned to the crowd that he could not play guitar due to the cold. The band (other than Mick) spent most of the time huddled around Charlie and the heaters.
The wind swirled the music. As I said..it was very surreal.

Was there also and surreal is a great word to describe it. That was no way to experience a rock and roll show for both the band and the fans yet us weird Midwestern folks braved through it. It was tough to completely enjoy the show when we were all literally trying to just SURVIVE the show. It was pretty sad to look up and around see those huge tarps (with huge tongues printed on them) covering the entire upper section of empty seats.

We had pretty good "seats" but considering the conditions and relative lack of people....surprised that the
security were still exercising their muscle. we were hoping to wander down to the field level but
they were very strict. no luck. re: the weather itself..i came prepared so it didn't bother me. more shocked
by the Soldier Field parking fee than the weather.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: October 28, 2011 04:17

I saw 8 ABB concerts:

08/21/05 Fenway Park- Boston, MA
09/03/05 Magnetic Hill- Moncton, New Brunswick
09/28/05 PNC Park- Pittsburg, PA
10/06/05 Scott Stadium- Charlottesville, VA
10/08/05 Wallace Wade Stadium- Durham, NC
02/01/06 First Mariner Arena- Baltimore, MD
11/01/06 Beacon Theater- NewYork City, NY
11/11/06 MGM Grand Garden Arena- Las Vegas, NV

Moncton, Charlottesville, Baltimore and Beacon were outstanding. Pittsburg and Vegas were great. Boston tour opener was sort of a let down and Durham was the only dud (for me) out of the bunch. So how do these ABB shows compare to previous tours I've seen? Four of these shows rank right up there with the best shows I've seen from Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, BTB, No Security and Licks tours. So no the ABB tour was not bad it was awesome!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-10-28 04:20 by its good to be anywhere.

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: October 28, 2011 04:21

I saw them early in the tour and thought they still had it, but by the end of the tour it is obvious they did not... and its all about the guitar section because Mick, Charlie, and the extras performances did not decline.

Was the turning point Keith's fall and his play after that point? Wasn't Woody clean at the start of the tour and not by the end?

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: October 28, 2011 04:23

Oh sure, big bands like the Stones have never had difficulty selling seats in Cleveland. (Sarcasm)

Comparing Cleveland to Chicago is like comparing a....um.....piece of crap city to a great city.

Yep. That''ll do.

Cleveland vs. Detroit? Maybe. But, Cleveland vs Chicago? That's a friggin' joke.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 28, 2011 04:57

Max'sKansasCity
btw- I dont (want or) need to ever read a Blondie "tell all" book.
We know the score, there is no need to write it all down.....
let the legend be the fact... even feigned ignorance can be bliss.

COOL! What flavour Kool-Aid can we put you down for? Cherry Red?!

Date: October 28, 2011 05:01

treaclefingers
COOL! What flavour Kool-Aid can we put you down for? Cherry Red?!

Thats my FAVORITE FLAVOR!!! how did you ever guess? winking smiley

Date: October 28, 2011 05:04

When the legend becomes fact, print the legend. [www.imdb.com]

Posted by: pennyharp ()
Date: October 28, 2011 06:57

muenke ()
Date: October 27, 2011 18:48

C´mon folks ... how about having a little drink or/and smoking that stuff Mick Jagger mentions before "Let´s spend the Night together" on Still life ... and a stones concert is big fun, even at the bb-tour. Don´t be that critical, the stones are human beings and no red wine, getting better while aging ... I was just glad to see them, havin a good time, singing with the folks, who cares about the rest ... .

Little Rock...I had planned to go with just my dad (we probably could have had a drink or smoke) but my mom got sad and wanted to come so we rearraged tickets at the last minute and got stuck behind a huge column. She ended up with an isle seat (dressed like she was going to the opera) and you guessed it... got beer dumped on her all night. The goofy blinking pin she had to have gave her a headache and made her nauseous so the car ride home wasn't great but anyhow...

The Stones did a great (but carefully planned out) show. Unfortunately Ronnie looked very sad and never moved. This of course was later revealed to be the hernia he had. I thought Keith had picked on him or something since he looked aggravated and stood on the other side of the stage most of the night. But he must have asked him how he was once since it was a quick exchange.

Mick actually sang well that night but spent most of his time doing the same 80's exercise move hip shakes at the other side of the stage. I guess I wouldn't gripe if he was on our side. tongue sticking out smiley

They had a big screen, of course, but the column!angry smiley Who ever designed Altel Arena jacked that up. But I have to admit the sound was great.

Posted by: Stones62 ()
Date: October 28, 2011 07:05

Rolling Hansie
NedKelly
I had a great time on each and every one of them.

Good for you. That is all that matters. Who cares what other people think ?
Right on! That is all that matters! As for me, the last Stones show I saw in November 2005 in San Francisco was for want of a better phrase a train wreck. Neother Keith or Ronnie were playing well and it was mostly Charlie and Mick that held it together. StonesTod, you were there. What did you think?

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: October 28, 2011 11:46

Attended 10 shows:

Nice 2006
Horsens 2006
Paris 2007
Helsinki 2007
Gothenburg 2007
Copenhagen 2007
Oslo 2007
O2 London August 21 2007
O2 London August 23 2007
O2 London August 26 2007

Best one?

Paris 2007! They played an outstanding version of CYHMK at Stade de France!

Date: October 28, 2011 11:50

I attended 2 shows:

Bergen 2006
Oslo 2007

Bergen was good, Oslo was excellent.

Just a reminder for the one who started this thread. The BB-tour was voted the best tour ever by the posters here at IORR winking smiley

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: October 28, 2011 11:54

Thanx folks. It seems that when asked directly, a lot of people here actually liked the ABB tour. I get depressed by all the negativity on this board, and it feels really good to read all the great experienses people had on that tour. So let's hope for a new tour, with a new album to back up. Would give me very much pleasure to once again have the excitement to buy tickets, to travel to all kinds of places, to meet lots of Stones fans, to feel the buzz around the arena, to wait for the opening riff, to watch the new stage design, to see the guys having fun on stage, to listen to Keiths great riffs and licks, and to enjoy the conversations with other fans having a cold beer aftewards. It's a packages I can't resist. I just love the whole thing. smileys with beer

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 28, 2011 13:00

Barcelona 2007........i almost cried.
The show were Mick, Charlie and the other musicians........RW was unlistenable, and KR was almost falling in the ground. He played awfully just two notes in the whole show. It was dramatic!!. I thought KR was going to die by those dates.
God thanks he is still alive and playing again; he looks much healthier than then

Posted by: NedKelly ()
Date: October 28, 2011 13:22

DandelionPowderman
I attended 2 shows:

Bergen 2006
Oslo 2007

Bergen was good, Oslo was excellent.

Just a reminder for the one who started this thread. The BB-tour was voted the best tour ever by the posters here at IORR winking smiley

Really? GOOD! thumbs up

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 28, 2011 13:22

2 shows in London 2006, Twickenham
Glasgow 2006
Sheffield 2006
Slane 2007
London 2007 last show

...strangely, I didn't catch any shows in Scandianiva

Best concert was Sheffield 2006. Seems that the bad weather and rain brought out some new energy in them. Or maybe it was just the atmosphere

Serious decline from 2006 to 2007. I don't even dare to listen to recordings of those 2007 shows - don't want to hear them.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 28, 2011 13:24

KeithNacho
The show were Mick, Charlie and the other musicians

Indeed, that was my impression as well

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: October 28, 2011 13:28

I saw 9 shows from this tour :

MSG 2005
Giants Stadium 2005
Milano 2006
Paris 2006
Nice 2006
Werchter 2007
Paris 2007
Lyon 2007
Final London Aug 26 2007

The 2005-2006 shows seemed fine to me, with some ups and downs, as usual
Werchter was really sloppy.
Paris and Lyon were much better with some great moments and some bad versions too
The final London show was great.

Again, the ABB wasn't a BAD tour, and we had some awesome moments. Still I wonder how worse it may get taking the road 5 years after the end of such a chaotic tour.
I'd rather have no Stones tour than a bad one. the Stones were the best live act ever, if I were them, I would NOT take the risk to destroy this positive image.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: October 28, 2011 13:49

Erik_Snow
KeithNacho
The show were Mick, Charlie and the other musicians

Indeed, that was my impression as well

Ronnie was shining in Bergen and Oslo. Keith was good in Oslo.

It also depends on the material they play. Keith can't fool around too much on songs like Monkey Man and Bitch, and he did them really well in Oslo.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2110
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home