Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Beast of burden 81 vs 94 vs 02- spot the difference
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 28, 2011 11:56

Yup Dandelion that is the definitive version for sure.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: October 28, 2011 16:30

DandelionPowderman
This one is my favourite:

because it is "new" but in fact it is too close from the studio version, Mick's voice is not lazy enough; guitars have no delay and Keith is just Mr rythmic here.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: October 28, 2011 16:52

toomuchforme
DandelionPowderman

because it is "new" but in fact it is too close from the studio version, Mick's voice is not lazy enough; guitars have no delay and Keith is just Mr rythmic here.

I disagree on all your points. It is not new, we've heard it for years on Handsome Girls. It's way longer than the studio version, and there are a lot more weaving going on.

Keith is playing fills all the time here. If he played more, he wouldn't have had time to do the riff - and sometimes he doesn't smiling smiley

The Detroit-version from 78 might surpass this one, though, but that's mainly beause Ronnie is a little more on there.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: October 28, 2011 17:03

Come on people you all know why this song can't be played like 81' or 78' ... is the rhythm section... Bill and Charlie locking in on that mid tempo groove. Is a great example of what the Stones lost when Bill quit. I wonder if there is a Beast of Burden live 89 or 90 version around. Also I agree Keith chopped the riff a bit on the 94 and 02 clip.

Date: October 28, 2011 17:22

Send It To me
Darryl Jones.

>grinning smiley<

Date: October 29, 2011 01:12

DandelionPowderman

From the last verse on "Now you can put me out.." this is the Jagger that even Keith loves. He is at his best. Wait...he cooks before that too.

Date: October 29, 2011 01:21

Wyman playes the Bass like many white men: you hit the root note on the A string, and the fifth on the D string; or the octave on the G string - and work from there. even in the Blues numbers, Bill often sticks with this major scale framework, and leaves the minor thirds to the guitars (It could be part of that magic Stones sound). Young Wyman on "What a Shame" was brilliant.
DJ...I just don't know. Is he trying to do what he thinks Bill would have done? Or has he dropped that? It's very different style of bass playing; of course he is very, very good. Probably too good.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1581
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home